• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
for the record lets go over his history of gay panic and homophobia. And who better than the guy who brought up the tweet in the first place!

Hmm very suspect timing somebody would write about Kevin hart not being a good Oscar host the day after he's elected Oscar host huh? Very suspect indeed...

It is suspect that it happened that moment he got the job to host the Oscars and not the other million movie jobs he has had in the past few years. It should've happened sooner.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It is suspect that it happened that moment he got the job to host the Oscars and not the other million movie jobs he has had in the past few years. It should've happened sooner.
It probably did and people didn't listen. Actually, it did get brought up in 2015 and no one cared.

So dude saw he got another high profile job that may actually not stick with him and he decided to publicize Hart's shittiness for maximum exposure.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It probably did and people didn't listen. Actually, it did get brought up in 2015 and no one cared.

So dude saw he got another high profile job that may actually not stick with him and he decided to publicize Hart's shittiness for maximum exposure.
Thinking about this some more, it's wild how this is the exact same trajectory as Gunn except the inverse.

Both times had people say stupid shit in their past, except when brought up again Gunn apologized and Hart doubled down and with more exposure (Gunn being anti-trump on social media, Hart being the host of the oscars) the people most affected by that (trump stans and LGBT people) decide to air our their dirty laundry to try and get them fired. So yeah it's similar to Gunn if you think both sides are exactly the same I guess lol.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, a lot has happened in the last 8 years. But not so much that saying f*g (especially intentionally as a slur) or shaming gay people was acceptable. That was never even close to being OK in the public eye in 2010. Some of the excuses in this thread are outright disgusting. The difference, I think, is that people weren't quite as keen on picking up on tweets/social media posts (and reporting on them) then as they are now.

And his "it's too bad you got offended" bullshit explanation in 2015 makes matters far worse. Has he even commented yet on his tweets resurfacing?

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised they chose him tbh.
Choosing HIM as a host, and this late, most likely means they couldn't find anyone willing to do this job. And we all know Kevin Hart will do anything.

Seriously, in a list of people fit to host the awards he wouldn't make the top 10. Not sure whatll happen now, probably nothing. Man, along with the GG nominations just announced, this award season is shaping up to be a complete shit show.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017

Thinking about this some more, it's wild how this is the exact same trajectory as Gunn except the inverse.

Both times had people say stupid shit in their past, except when brought up again Gunn apologized and Hart doubled down and with more exposure (Gunn being anti-trump on social media, Hart being the host of the oscars) the people most affected by that (trump stans and LGBT people) decide to air our their dirty laundry to try and get them fired. So yeah it's similar to Gunn if you think both sides are exactly the same I guess lol.
That makes sense. I guess I just feel as if it were me and I had the dirty laundry on Kevin with my own platform, I would've been on his ass 24/7. The no apology thing is the worst about all of it.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well, Eddie Murphy's and Richard Pryor Jokes were pretty offensive even for those times, Eddie Murphy even mention in one of his stand ups in the 80s that he received a lot of blow back for one of his jokes and then dobles down with another joke about the gays. I believe because this was the 80's that he hasn't receive much blow back and nobody paid attention then.

But 2010? get the fuck out here.

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Well, Eddie Murphy's and Richard Pryor Jokes were pretty offensive even for those times, Eddie Murphy even mention in one of his stand ups in the 80s that he received a lot of blow back for one of his jokes and then dobles down with another joke about the gays. I believe because this was the 80's that he hasn't receive much blow back and nobody paid attention then.

Eddie Murphy did receive criticism and has since apologised. I tend to believe he's sincere.

Richard Pryor is interesting, since he was open about his own homosexual experiences.

This is a great article about a set he did for a gay rights benefit concert:

Richard Pryor: meltdown at the Hollywood Bowl

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

People really need to stop using Eddie Murphy as their go to on this, as I posted previously the dude apologized for those stand up specials over 20 years ago.

The problem is that Hart has not apologized, has not tried to make any sort of amends, has not said he no longer believes the things he's said, etc etc.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There isn't a single comedian alive that doesn't have problematic content from their past.

Not excusing it. I actually disavow standup comedy as a whole. Especially since people have used it as valid social commentary for so long.

It's not. It's fringe entertainment and the revelation that a lot of it wasn't an act, that people like CK were actually cretins, soured me on the comic community.

Even people I stuck my neck out like Dan Harmon get side eye glances from me for how shitty they are. People shouldn't be excused just because they are good writers. Entertainment as a whole needs to move passed this.

This is my take.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Eddie Murphy did receive criticism and has since apologised. I tend to believe he's sincere.

Richard Pryor is interesting, since he was open about his own homosexual experiences.

This is a great article about a set he did for a gay rights benefit concert:

Richard Pryor: meltdown at the Hollywood Bowl

Thanks, i will give it a read.

People really need to stop using Eddie Murphy as their go to on this, as I posted previously the dude apologized for those stand up specials over 20 years ago.

Well...excuuuuuuuuuseme for not reading 13 pages in order to poinpoint your awesome post, i will follow you from now on and i will check in every thread if you posted first and what you posted in order to give my opinion. Thank you for the scolding and sorry for not being Eddie Murphy's biggest fan.

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Thread whining
yes millions of us used to tell gay jokes way back when before we got a clue. This should not be news.

I'm not whining about the existence of the thread. That's not what I meant. sorry sorry.

Last edited:

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Well...excuuuuuuuuuseme for not reading 13 pages in order to poinpoint your awesome post, i will follow you from now on and i will check in every thread if you posted first and what you posted in order to give my opinion. Thank you for the scolding and sorry for not being Eddie Murphy's biggest fan.
I mean, if you're going to use someone as your example, you could have at least taken 5 seconds to google search the situation surrounding his special and whether he had apologized for it.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
in one of his old sets he speaks like "being a man" is the most important, dominant trait any person could have. if you listen to the jokes, the way he delivers it is really sexist. his sexist thinking is so backwards, seriously. he has this machismo mindset and it's really disgusting.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Nothing. You're just missing the point. It's the constant thread of "black man gets put in position of power, let me dig up something to bring them down."

It happens all the time.

Still, not saying what Kevin said is right, just saying it's something that happens, and is suspect.

so you feel offended because this homophobic black man is being dogpiled on? or are you saying it is suspect that he's being dogpiled on, implying that it's because he is black? i don't even know what your plight is, really. are you saying we should slow it down a little for him because he's black? or are you saying why is everyone so angry at this black man for saying homophobic stuff and it's very suspicious we must have an agenda?

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
so you feel offended because this homophobic black man is being dogpiled on? or are you saying it is suspect that he's being dogpiled on, implying that it's because he is black? i don't even know what your plight is, really. are you saying we should slow it down a little for him because he's black? or are you saying why is everyone so angry at this black man for saying homophobic stuff and it's very suspicious we must have an agenda?
Please go back and read my initial comment. I'm not mad at anyone dogpiling on Kevin Hart. I just simply said "the timing was suspect. The comments are trash though", and someone picked out just on sentence and got mad at ME for saying that.

You're doing the same thing they were, taking all of it out of context. Kevin Hart is an egotistical piece of shit and his comments were vile, I've never said anything BUT that.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what you're wanting from this conversation. You want to be a part of it, but you don't want to do any sort of even slight research on the subject. By your own admission you didn't read the thread, or the background on the example you posted.

Dude, I'm not trying to be mean, or anything. Yes, I quoted you but you weren't the only person doing this exact same thing. People are jumping into this thread hit-and-run style.

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not sure what you're wanting from this conversation. You want to be a part of it, but you don't want to do any sort of even slight research on the subject. By your own admission you didn't read the thread, or the background on the example you posted.

Dude, I'm not trying to be mean, or anything. Yes, I quoted you but you weren't the only person doing this exact same thing. People are jumping into this thread hit-and-run style.

It's ok, you are right and i got a little bit frustrated , actually i was replying to one of the first post in the thread but the quote went missing. Bernard pointed out the same thing but without the condecending attitude, i'm a very sensetive person xD. I just didn't knew that Eddie Murphy apologized for it, so i never thought it google it.

Nov 1, 2017
Choosing HIM as a host, and this late, most likely means they couldn't find anyone willing to do this job. And we all know Kevin Hart will do anything.

Seriously, in a list of people fit to host the awards he wouldn't make the top 10. Not sure whatll happen now, probably nothing. Man, along with the GG nominations just announced, this award season is shaping up to be a complete shit show.

There was an article the morning before this was announced about how they were having trouble finding someone to host the Oscars this year, so yeah he was not their first pick

Oct 27, 2017
It was nearly 10 years ago. Does he still tell jokes like that?

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018
in one of his old sets he speaks like "being a man" is the most important, dominant trait any person could have. if you listen to the jokes, the way he delivers it is really sexist. his sexist thinking is so backwards, seriously. he has this machismo mindset and it's really disgusting.
It's likely how he was raised.

I know we've all spent time on message boards talking and engaging with each other and we've all learned what is and what isn't right but his words sound like it's coming from someone who was brought up in a very particular way. I had a very long discussion with my mom recently about how I was raised. There was a severe lack of love in my household. I wasn't told I was loved, I wasn't hugged, it was a very cold environment. When I asked "why" she merely said that she was afraid that I would become a sissy if she gave me too much love/affection.

Being "a sissy" or "soft" (whatever you want to call it) is dangerous if you grow up in certain areas. I was brought up in Bed Stuy and I just had to stay my ass inside most of the time but my mother was passive about how much she openly told me about "being a man". She chose action… or lack of action really. But with the language he's using, it sounds like these things were drilled into his head throughout childhood.

So none of this is surprising to me and it's not particularly easy to undo. You have to give yourself the space to do such a thing. There has to be a will. Not really sure if it's there for him but it's not an easy thing to do. Everything he said is shit but it's not all that difficult to figure out where this is coming from.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Oscars is the perfect place to address this.
That's what'll probably happen. He'll address it at the Oscars and then that'll be it.
yes millions of us used to tell gay jokes way back when before we got a clue. This should not be news.
Shit, some of the stuff I said back in the day, yikes lol. I wasn't even legally able to drink then but hey.

I know in hip-hop culture back then around 09-10 you could say waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more shit then compared to today. I was looking over over old Jay, TI and Ye lines and sheesh, that shit wouldn't fly today and that was just 2010.

Ross the only one that I know that's big in hip-hop that hasn't changed.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017

I know we've all spent time on message boards talking and engaging with each other and we've all learned what is and what isn't right but his words sound like it's coming from someone who was brought up in a very particular way. I had a very long discussion with my mom recently about how I was raised. There was a severe lack of love in my household. I wasn't told I was loved, I wasn't hugged, it was a very cold environment. When I asked "why" she merely said that she was afraid that I would become a sissy if she gave me too much love/affection.

Being "a sissy" or "soft" (whatever you want to call it) is dangerous if you grow up in certain areas. I was brought up in Bed Stuy and I just had to stay my ass inside most of the time but my mother was passive about how much she openly told me about "being a man". She chose action… or lack of action really. But with the language he's using, it sounds like these things were drilled into his head throughout childhood.

So none of this is surprising to me and it's not particularly easy to undo. You have to give yourself the space to do such a thing. There has to be a will. Not really sure if it's there for him but it's not an easy thing to do. Everything he said is shit but it's not all that difficult to figure out where this is coming from.
Realest post in this thread. Too true.

You can even connect this to peer pressure as well. In school kids said certain things judging what they've heard whether it be in entertainment or just overall around others and you latch onto that. It's a learning experience that you recognize once you become older that what you've been accustomed to was just wrong. I remember I couldn't even tell a friend that me and a girl were just going to hangout and chill. Just because I wasn't having sex with her I was considered a "bitch" and how we were raised on entertainment-wise could be connected to that. I realized that when I became older that the previous mindstate was false, at the same time I'm not going to beat myself up about learning that given that through tv, music and people in school there was no way in my circumstances that I didn't hear that. It was everyone to the point where if you didn't think that you were considered weird.

Hell, I remember one time in the fifth grade I was called out because I didn't know who some celebrities were. Just imagine how it was when you say you didn't listen to certain music or act certain ways in junior high.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

yeah, but he was 30+ when he made those kinds of "jokes" and remarks. why should we care how he was raised? i don't think that was an excuse then when he talked about "being a man" or referring to women a certain way, and I don't think that's an excuse now. Actually, I don't think anyone has to look at it from his perspective or have to figure out where he is coming from, because the way he talks about being a man/having a woman is itself downright disgusting. He relegates roles to women, as to how they do stuff, how they speak, etc. women should just do this and that etc. kind of comedy. So yeah, I am perfectly okay to trash him without ever having to empathise where he grew up. if he were a kid, sure, but he isn't.

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Realest post in this thread. Too true.

You can even connect this to peer pressure as well. In school kids said certain things judging what they've heard whether it be in entertainment or just overall around others and you latch onto that. It's a learning experience that you recognize once you become older that what you've been accustomed to was just wrong. I remember I couldn't even tell a friend that me and a girl were just going to hangout and chill. Just because I wasn't having sex with her I was considered a "bitch" and how we were raised on entertainment-wise could be connected to that. I realized that when I became older that the previous mindstate was false, at the same time I'm not going to beat myself up about learning that given that through tv, music and people in school there was no way in my circumstances that I didn't hear that. It was everyone to the point where if you didn't think that you were considered weird.

Hell, I remember one time in the fifth grade I was called out because I didn't know who some celebrities were. Just imagine how it was when you say you didn't listen to certain music or act certain ways in junior high.
Such a big part of it.

yeah, but he was 30+ when he made those kinds of "jokes" and remarks. why should we care how he was raised? i don't think that was an excuse then when he talked about "being a man" or referring to women a certain way, and I don't think that's an excuse now. Actually, I don't think anyone has to look at it from his perspective or have to figure out where he is coming from, because the way he talks about being a man/having a woman is itself downright disgusting. He relegates roles to women, as to how they do stuff, how they speak, etc. women should just do this and that etc. kind of comedy. So yeah, I am perfectly okay to trash him without ever having to empathise where he grew up. if he were a kid, sure, but he isn't.
This kind of thinking is kind of shitty to be honest.

If you want to take it a step farther, there are plenty of 30+ year olds who are in and out of jail, always in trouble with the cops etc etc who are dismissed by society for these very reasons without anyone ever making any attempt to understand where this behavior is coming from. Just piling on, blaming, shaking their heads because they themselves aren't doing and saying these things.

Kevin Hart has a lot to learn and if there's no space to learn these things then why would his behavior change? Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is sitting around reading articles and debating on message-boards about these things. It's likely that he's not in an environment to foster this kind of growth. Calling for his head and "trashing" won't really help. He'll just learn what not to say in public. It's the problem with many of these pile-ons. People don't unlearn this shitty behavior they just learn where to direct it. It becomes more subversive and dangerous.

I absolutely think he needs to apologize and he likely will, but that' will be the extent of it really. That's always the extent of it.

Oct 27, 2017
does it matter? his tweets weren't even jokes to begin with. it was homophobic, full stop. why is it that suddenly there's a defense force for a homophobe?
yes, it matters. You can change a lot in ten years. I told homophobic jokes ten years ago too for fuck's sake because I hadn't bothered to question that aspect of my "cultural conditioning". I'm not saying things are perfect, but I think the country has generally become more aware of how silly its biases against homosexuals were since then.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what other word there was to use, lol. I think you got caught having to over-defend yourself. Happens a lot on this board. You have to know when to disengage is all. I don't even know why you kept going.
Was gonna say the same.

I've seen Gunn pop up on almost every page in this thread... I have a question:

Would people still be mad if it was conservatives or the altright who brought this up? Because, IMO, no matter who brought this up, the content of those tweets can't be defended (referring to Hart and Gunn).

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I wasn't saying it was 1:1, and you're actually proving other people's points by trying to downplay people's behavior without any appology or even acceptance (and yes, I did look and no I didn't find anything like that for my example though he's free to do so now just like some are willing to accept for Hart, or he can link me to a post or something where he did that I missed). You're making a lot of assumptions about their character, and making excuses for their actions... just like a lot of people are doing here for Hart.
To be fair I was banned for like a month for that post so by the time I got unbanned I totally forgot about it.

It was a juvenile comment and do apologise for it.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when would this have not been suspect. like if someone brought this up before Ride Along 2 would you have been like "aw man, that's rough Kevin, I get why people would be upset?" or say if they waited til before Jumanji came out, would you still be like "this sure is weird! really weird of them to bring this up now, why didn't they bring it up before Get Hard came out? i find this suspect!"

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
He most likely hasn't. I just meant in general that people can change, because someone asked if it matters that his comment was 8 years ago.
In order for people to change from this destructive behavior/viewpoints, they have to do some serious soul searching and develop empathy. It can be done, but so far, there's absolutely no reason to believe he's on any such path. And every day that passes without a response hurts his chances more.

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Terrible tweets aside its pretty creepy that there are people out there who comb through all your old stuff on social media.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Was gonna say the same.

I've seen Gunn pop up on almost every page in this thread... I have a question:

Would people still be mad if it was conservatives or the altright who brought this up? Because, IMO, no matter who brought this up, the content of those tweets can't be defended (referring to Hart and Gunn).

That's where I'm at. It's not the same technically, as Hart is a comedian. But it's the same socially. If we open the door of old posts, you can't pick and choose losers.

The timing is suspect. But, no matter. He has to deal with the fallout now.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
That's where I'm at. It's not the same technically, as Hart is a comedian. But it's the same socially. If we open the door of old posts, you can't pick and choose losers.

The timing is suspect. But, no matter. He has to deal with the fallout now.
Agreed.

There were so many people defending Gunn, even on this forum, it surprised me.