• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
"NUH UH, ACADEMY I AIN'T APOLOGIZING FOR SHIT."

(parts ways with the Oscars)

"Sorry, gay people for my bigotry. Let's all be positive! I said sorry? Jeez."

Christ Almighty this took a turn.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
All he had to do was apologize and say that he has changed and feels embarrassed by his old tweets.

Literally all he had to do.

I can't remember the last time I have seen such a self inflicted wound. The epitome of toxic masculinity.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
every celebrity just needs to use tweetdeleter and delete every tweet from 2008 till 2015, you'll love some good ones, but in the age of LETS DIG UP THE TWEETS, you gotta do it and you gotta get removed from the wayback machine,

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tonight was the first time he has ever apologized for it. His defenders are supporting homophobia. It sure makes the black vs. gay divide even deeper, unfortunately.
Damn shame too.

This was a good opportunity to apologize and help heal that by showing that he's grown as a person.

Turns out he didn't and decide to quit knowing his termination was imminent.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
but he didnt this is the age of spin in 2 weeks nobody outside this website and the people who dig up everybody tweets will care. Do people still care about the james gunn thing no, seriously every 2 weeks someones in trouble

More people were upset that Gunn was fired, not at his old tweets. And Gunn had already apologized for his old tweets prior to the alt right bringing them back up and we saw him grow and change.

The situations are not the same. And Kevin Hart's next big film is a children's cartoon where the other lead actor was already fired for sexual harassment allegations.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Kevin Hart just stepped down

NVM late

So like, well that was a shitty response he had when asked to initially apologize by the Academy, makes the the stepping down "apology" look like he is a lying piece of shit.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't get it, he wouldn't apologize earlier when they asked him to, so why apologize now?

I mean it seems rather stupid to me not to issue a simply apology, it would have taken far less work then doing the whole "I apologized in the past, not going to write a simple apology now thing" not to mention it, like spending less energy and time issuing an apology then trying to issue a non-apology and then having to deal with alllllll the backlash and then losing the oscar gig because you wouldn't do it in the first place, seems like a really strange thing to me to do.

I say just get Randy Rainbow to host it now, he'd be great imo.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All he had to fucking do was type out an apology. Not go out on life TV in front of cameras and say something. Nope, just type one out behind the safety of his computer screen. And he couldn't even do that...

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First response was how he really feels.

Second response was him doing what his reps told him to do to hopefully not get blowback on his career.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
but he didnt this is the age of spin in 2 weeks nobody outside this website and the people who dig up everybody tweets will care. Do people still care about the james gunn thing no, seriously every 2 weeks someones in trouble

exactly

More people were upset that Gunn was fired, not at his old tweets. And Gunn had already apologized for his old tweets prior to the alt right bringing them back up and we saw him grow and change.

The situations are not the same. And Kevin Hart's next big film is a children's cartoon where the other lead actor was already fired for sexual harassment allegations.

not gonna be an issue when the film comes around

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, this whole thing could have been avoided if he'd been a grown up and worked an apology into one of his earlier statements. It's not hard to be all like "What I said was dumb and hurtful and doesn't represent my views."

Pride is a hell of a thing. Life is so much better when you don't get in your own way.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that you can't even acknowledge your hate proves it's still with you.

This is who he is. Good riddance.

Oct 25, 2017
What a destructive and isolating decision to have in a situation where it is both good morally and good for business to take the free and easy option of apologizing for bad behavior.

You absolutely fucking played yourself, Hart.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if Kevin's telling the truth but he said he's apologized in the past about it and people can look that up too so who knows really. I get the whole "people can change" thing and I believe it, even earlier in the thread I was one of the people saying he's changed but with that said he's gotta at least apologize and you gotta mean it from the heart. Change starts from within. If he apologized and has changed then I personally can say "ok, well that's what you're supposed to do."

But if someone doesn't apologize nor do they change, like say they make a blanket statement, idk. Either way it just boils down to if people think he's changed or not and also if you can take his word.

I'll take his word for it but if people don't want to I 100% completely understand why they wouldn't and think he hasn't changed and/or apologized. Same thing for if people got on me for when I was younger and I said something harmful to others. Even if I changed from how I used to be at the end of the day I said that so you gotta live with it. Same thing for this dude in school who called me a "nigger" in class. Yeah he said he's changed and I believe him but at the same time my homie doesn't.

His past "apology":

Discussing this bit today, Hart says, "It's about my fear. I'm thinking about what I did as a dad, did I do something wrong, and if I did, what was it? Not that I'm not gonna love my son or think about him any differently. The funny thing within that joke is it's me getting mad at my son because of my own insecurities — I panicked. It has nothing to do with him, it's about me. That's the difference between bringing a joke across that's well thought-out and saying something just to ruffle feathers." Even so, he adds, "I wouldn't tell that joke today, because when I said it, the times weren't as sensitive as they are now. I think we love to make big deals out of things that aren't necessarily big deals, because we can. These things become public spectacles. So why set yourself up for failure?"

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/kevin-harts-funny-business-67836/

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
You telling me the academy wasn't aware of the stand up that pretty much brought him to light, even with it being covered several times in different publications? Of course they did. Why ask for an apology now?

The problem is that people who aren't familiar with his work, and don't like him enough to watch any of his stuff have caught wind of it and feel angry because they haven't been explicitly shown an apology.

It's not a hidden tweet, it's part of an 8 year old stand up which has been on Netflix for as long as I remember. It has been brought up in a Rolling Stones interview with him. The guy is one of the biggest comedians in the world, with several kids films on his track record. I'd be surprised if he hadn't apologised at some point during the several times it has been brought up outside of the last couple of days. But I'm just a random posting on a message board, what would I know?

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You telling me the academy wasn't aware of the stand up that pretty much brought him to light, even with it being covered several times in different publications? Of course they did. Why ask for an apology now?

The problem is that people who aren't familiar with his work, and don't like him enough to watch any of his stuff have caught wind of it and feel angry because they haven't been explicitly shown an apology.

It's not a hidden tweet, it's part of an 8 year old stand up which has been on Netflix for as long as I remember. It has been brought up in a Rolling Stones interview with him. The guy is one of the biggest comedians in the world, with several kids films on his track record. I'd be surprised if he hadn't apologised at some point during the several times it has been brought up outside of the last couple of days. But I'm just a random posting on a message board, what would I know?
His only apology for it occurred tonight, and only because his career was threatened.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
damn, after seeing a few more of his tweets...appalling that he would essentially choose to stand by them. Literally tweeted about potentially beating the gay out of his son, jesus christ

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
Wow at Kevin, what a terrible response.

All he had to do was apologize and say that he has changed and feels embarrassed by his old tweets.

Literally all he had to do.

I can't remember the last time I have seen such a self inflicted wound. The epitome of toxic masculinity.

Lets be real, Has there anyone that has been forgiven after apologizing in a similar situation?
Regardless of apology, that person normally gets pushed out.

The apology makes us feel alittle better about our vitriol but doesn't do so much for the person apologizing.

BGA

Oct 26, 2017
What was the point of his non-apology on Instagram post when he apologized later on Twitter?

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
What was the point of his non-apology on Instagram post when he apologized later on Twitter?
Because the Twitter posts are PR cleanup. The Instagram shit was his real feelings. He didn't "step down", he was fired, and he's trying to save face.

Good riddance to this trash human.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a gut feeling, but I think he probably didn't want the Oscars hosting job to begin with.

It's kind of a crappy gig -- high risk, low reward. Nobody's career has ever really been improved by hosting Oscars. At worst the show goes poorly and the host gets blamed. At best the show is fine (but long and boring) and the host receives no acclaim.

Last edited:

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Just a gut feeling, but I think he probably didn't want the Oscars hosting job to begin with.

It's kind of a crappy gig -- high risk, low reward. Nobody's career has ever really been improved by hosting Oscars. At worst the show goes poorly at the host gets blamed. At best the show is fine (but long and boring) and the host receives no acclaim.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-oscar-host-is-worst-job-town-1165880

There was something written about it just yesterday. Although, funny how this was written before all this went down and includes this lines like,

So who's right for the job? Kevin Hart is funny without being tasteless

and

And there's the rub: The Academy wants to play safe in an era that rewards risk. It's time the Academy embraced controversy instead of steering away from it. That's what Donald Trump did, and it helped him become president.

The more milquetoast the host, the more muted the show. The Oscars might not be ready for a shock jock to become emcee-in-chief, but a little more shock might just make for a whole lot more awe.

Good call, THR.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eichner turning the Oscars into a long episode of Billy on the Street would be both brilliant and would make peoples heads explode worse than Gervais hosting.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck, he got me. I was only criticizing his homophobic remarks because I wanted to take away his happiness, not because I think homophobia is shitty. But he's fucking happy! Hes happy and homophobic! HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a fucking dumbass, honestly. I bet he really was genuinely personally annoyed that people had the audacity to ask him to apologize for calling people fags and shit. He already told us we're too sensitive, why the fuck do we keep bothering him!