Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
While browsing reddit I came across this magnificent photo set of Shigeru Miyamoto in his office working on Super Mario Bros. 3

WWWvke5.jpg

Master at his work indeed. Also didn't knew he smokes! Are there any other goldies like this?

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I don't have any off hand but I feel like Icons on G4 had a lot of old footage of them but I could be wrong.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Those photos are so 90s you can literally see the famous Jazz cup design in the last one.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the first two pictures on top, he looks like a wax statue. Especially in the one on the right.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The classic, id Software's first office. Think this photo here was taken in 1990. You can see Carmack working on the Super Mario 3 demo for Nintendo.

romero_carmack_mariodemo-L.jpg

tumblr_p1srlpCnQx1r4g6x9o2_1280.jpg

This image here was taken in 1996 while they were working on Quake.

Nov 1, 2017
Pretty sure they were in Nintendo Power once upon a time. They even mention how the game had ten people working on it. TEN. Can you imagine a game needing so many people.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Two pictures of Masahiro Sakurai taken back in 1999-2000
ph10_27.jpg

4-1-3.JPG

They're both sourced from Shigesato Itoi's website. Which should contain countless other photos of Nintendo employees.

The latter is particularly notable, as it's sourced from an interview around the launch of the original Smash Bros that mentions "Dragon King: The Fighting Game", the original concept for said game.
4-1-4.jpg

The western audience wouldn't get to learn about it until 2008, with the Iwata Asks interview for Smash Bros Brawl.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget; his mother did all of the calligraphy for the Okami ending sequence. Talent runs deep in the family.
That must be why he is so pissed that it got removed in other versions.
The classic, id Software's first office. Think this photo here was taken in 1990. You can see Carmack working on the Super Mario 3 demo for Nintendo.

romero_carmack_mariodemo-L.jpg

tumblr_p1srlpCnQx1r4g6x9o2_1280.jpg

This image here was taken in 1996 while they were working on Quake.

That looks exactly as I picture early game companies lol

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Here's baby Nomura:

Dd39yhKVMAYCjsC.jpg

It's really neat seeing the developers who started super young. Like, dude isn't even 50 yet. Similarly, here's Keiichiro Toyama, writer/director of Silent Hill, and creator of Siren, Gravity Rush, etc:

yamaoka_toyama_sato.jpg

I think he'd be about ~22 there, since it's after Silent Hill released? He finished it at 21, and started at 18. Dude only just turned 40 in August.

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
l8CaN6E.jpg

Yasuhiko Kamata, Kazuhiko Aoki, Keizo Kokubo, Yasunori Mitsuda, Yoshinori Kitase, Katsuhisa Higuchi, Masato Kato, Takashi Tokita

NZHZlXgm.jpg

Hiromichi Tanaka

Final-Fantasy4-Squaresoft-team-1986-1.jpeg

???, Kazuko Shibuya, ???
Nobuo Uematsu, Hironobu Sakaguchi, ???

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
And yet it's the 80s, considering he's working on Super Mario Bros. 3. :P
Well, technically, Mario 3 didn't release in the West until 1990 (NA) and 1991 (Europe), so for most of the world it is very much a 90s game! :P

But of course, given that these are development pictures, they are mostly certainly from before the Japanese release in 1988 (I didn't realize the gap between versions was that big!). And apparently, the "Jazz" design was not mass-produced until 1992. So, the pen-filled cup on that desk is merely a similar ancestor design – a harbinger of the cultural juggernaut to come.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey! How about some of you list out who is in the actual pictures in case some others have absolutely no fucking clue who you are trying to showcase?