• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Hey ERA, I'm looking to get an OLED for gaming, but I'm looking for some recommendations. The main things I want are HDR, 4K, and a good gaming set. 60-65 inches. Is there anything good out that is 3k or less?

Oct 27, 2017
Vienna
Dude cant you do your own research there are only like 5 tvs that are exactly in those specifications. Sony A1. LG B7, C7, E7. and Phillips 9000. Go to your local store and choose the one you like the most. Order online for the best prices.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
My first post on this forum! You can always go for a 2016 LG OLED and get it cheaper. The only difference may be a few nits dimmer in HDR mode, but other than that, those may be your best bang for the buck.

I have the 2016 OLED E6, and it is mesmerizing when watching 4K HDR content. A game changer in terms of TVs.

OP
OP
J-Wood

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Dude cant you do your own research there are only like 5 tvs that are exactly in those specifications. Sony A1. LG B7, C7, E7. and Phillips 9000. Go to your local store and choose the one you like the most. Order online for the best prices.

Yeesh. I have been looking around, but was hoping to get responses from people I trust on this board rather than a random tech review. No need to be a dick.

How does LG do their model numbering? Is E the top, and the others have compromises?

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both the 2016 (C series upwards) and 2017 LG OLEDs are fantastic and great value for money.

Addikt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
C7 all the way. It can also do 1080p 120fps in PC mode so if you ever do want to plug in a PC its viable. Also the colours and the response times are magnificent. However something to know about the LG OLEDs, their HDR modes can seem a little dim so if you are in a bright room I would be careful. I play Gears of war 4 in game mode with HDR in a dark room and it is truly a sight to behold. Amazing.

Melon

Oct 27, 2017
The 65" LG B7 is going for $2599 at most major retailers and will give you the same picture quality and input lag as all other LG models.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've been using a LG B7/C7 (I can't remember which, whichever was the highest specced one that wasn't curved) and I was pretty happy with it. The colours are super vibrant, I didn't notice much if any input lag (though I'm not super sensitive to that stuff) and playing games like The Evil Within 2 and Observer or really anything with lots of black on the screen has been perfect.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
All OLED screens are made by LG. You're paying for better processing (Sony) and styling differences. LG has better input lag than Sony as well.

I was able to get my B6 65'' OLED for $1,500 open box at Best Buy not too long ago. I had the LG rep go through everything I could think of so I could see any potential defects. Had only been in the store for a week. Be on the lookout for deals like that.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX

Dude calm down. I hate this rhetoric. He is doing his own research by coming to a community like this and seeking guidance from those that have gone before him in this decision. Attitudes like yours should not have a place here. It's embarrassing. Your response is just a shit post drive by and adds nothing to the discussion. Just ignore threads like these if they bother you.

People should not be afraid to ask questions here. Forums like this are a perfectly logical place to ask such a question.

OP, check out https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...technology-thread-the-era-of-oled-is-now.564/

Plenty of folks there more knowledgeable than me who can help out.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently looking in the direction of LG for OLED, they are the only maker of the panels aren't they? Edit: just noticed someone confirmed above.

Anyone know much about about calibration of HDR TVs? I can't help but feel that existing calibration discs etc would not be accurate or sufficient.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
All OLED screens are made by LG. You're paying for better processing (Sony) and styling differences. LG has better input lag than Sony as well.

I was able to get my B6 65'' OLED for $1,500 open box at Best Buy not too long ago. I had the LG rep go through everything I could think of so I could see any potential defects. Had only been in the store for a week. Be on the lookout for deals like that.

I've looking a lot into the Sony and LGs and apparently the $1000 premium for the Sony isn't worth it when you can Get an LG B7 or C7 that is the exact same panel, minus the crystal sound stuff for the Sony A1E.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I've looking a lot into the Sony and LGs and apparently the $1000 premium for the Sony isn't worth it when you can Get an LG B7 or C7 that is the exact same panel, minus the crystal sound stuff for the Sony A1E.

This is correct.

However that Sony processing (the X1 Extreme chip) is really good.

Oct 27, 2017
Vienna
Dude calm down. I hate this rhetoric. He is doing his own research by coming to a community like this and seeking guidance from those that have gone before him in this decision. Attitudes like yours should not have a place here. It's embarrassing. Your response is just a shit post drive by and adds nothing to the discussion. Just ignore threads like these if they bother you.

People should not be afraid to ask questions here. Forums like this are a perfectly logical place to ask such a question.

OP, check out https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...technology-thread-the-era-of-oled-is-now.564/

Plenty of folks there more knowledgeable than me who can help out.
Adding nothing to the discussion? I posted the exact same named tv everyone else did.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I have LG C7 so I would recommend that. The Sony A1 has a really daft stand and is overpriced imo.

The reason I would go with the C7 over models like the E7 or G7 would be cause of the small footprint of the base/stand (because they all use the same panel). The more expensive models come with these huge soundbars which imo are not required because if you're spending this much on a TV you should hopefully have a decent A/V receiver and speakers to go with it.

Najaf

Oct 26, 2017
Houston, TX
Adding nothing to the discussion? I posted the exact same named tv everyone else did.

And no, you did not 'post the exact same named tv everyone else did'. You simply listed that among the five TV's that you said meet those technical specifications. That is not a recommendation which OP asked for. That is a google search. You rushed to respond and provided no personal recommendation or guidance whatsoever. So yes, I stand by my statement that your post added nothing to the discussion.

My main objection was to your condescending tone and attempt to shame someone who is looking for feedback from their favored community. That is what has no place here most of all. It adds nothing.

Voidance

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the same boat as you, OP. My research led me the LG B7/C7, but I can't seem to find much difference between the two.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
If you want to know which picture settings to use I would recommend (for movies) the Cinema Mode with all default settings when receiving a Dolby Vision or HDR 10 signal but make sure to turn off all image processing features e.g Trumotion, Edge Enhancement etc (OK to leave Dynamic Contrast on low for HDR 10 content as it improves brightness without adding any processing). For non HDR content I use my own settings (which took me a couple of months to finally get right after much experimentation).

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went to Costco the other day and saw the LG B7. I nearly pissed myself. That was the best screen I have ever seen. I'm about to grab one.

OP
OP
J-Wood

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone! I think I'll definitely go with the B7 or C7 after looking at them in Best Buy tonight. Was blown away by how good the blacks looked.