• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
LG B8. 3,300 hours.

No babying, tons of Destiny 2 (light 370 on three characters)

No issues. Just ran the slides and no sign of IR or discoloration.

OLED light at 27 for SDR content, and 100 for HDR content. Set is calibrated to 100 nits SDR and 700 nits HDR.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
LG C8 here and I frequently get image retention any time I run the backlight at full brightness (HDR). I'll get retention if it idles at the Apple TV home screen for less than two minutes. It sucks and has really soured me on OLED as a whole.
Image retention is one thing. Burn in is another. The image retention from the AppleTV UI will disappear once you start watching content.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
B7 OLED owner here and no visible burn in after 2 years of use. I'm pretty careful with it but I still play a lot of long gaming sessions with bright HUD elements and it's never been an issue regardless.

Coming from a Panasonic ST60 (plasma), I can say OLED's are much better for image retention. The plasma still has burn-in where channel logo's appear at the top right of the screen. Never had issues like that with the OLED.

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
This sort of thread is about the fear of burn-in (something which I definitely suffer from). I would be very curious to see if owners of OLED Tvs would be willing to share some images of their TVs as they are now, using either the Magenta or Yellow screen style a la the burn-in test from RTings.com. That would go a long way towards allaying the fears of the people watching here (I would imagine).
This should really be a threadmark.
Burn-in is not going to be noticed so easily without solid colors. So, I recommend everyone do it. I wouldn't be surprised if 80% here has burn-in to some extent and they just haven't noticed.
(Maybe don't check if you don't want be agitated knowing where the burn-in is now lol)

Edit* Some screens to test with:

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've had a C7 for just over two years now that I've heavily gamed on. I notice image retention at times, but no burn in to speak of.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
LG B6 purchased at release.

Always in constant use. Tv (News, Sports etc), streaming, gaming. Everything runs through the Xbox. If I'm home, and not asleep, it's usually on. No burn-in at all and I haven't even noticed any temporary IR. If any sort of IR has occurred the Clear Panel Noise cycles the set runs when in sleep mode has cleared it up... because I haven't seen it.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
I've had an OLED LG for 4 years (maybe 5?) and no issues - looks as good as the day I bought it.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Mmm. This thread is definitely scaring me away from LG CX. I use my TV as a computer monitor and play games like FFXIV on it and long gaming sessions like 12 hours aren't impossible for me. I hate burn in and I'm pretty picky about that kinda thing.. not sure what TV I'd jump to after my current TV (Vizio P series 2016).

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'd wager a lot of people do have burn in issues of varying degrees, they just don't notice it.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Not an owner but I sell them and our display models have never had burn in and that's after running similar pieces of content for almost 10 hours per day.

The built-in features like the automatic pixel shift and the compensation cycle that runs in standby mode does a great job of prevent it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
After reading your experiences I might be willing to exchange perfectly dark blacks for pretty dark blacks and peace of mind. I want to be able to use my TV however I want without worrying about it causing permanent damage.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
I'd wager a lot of people do have burn in issues of varying degrees, they just don't notice it.

As someone that noticed IR on his VT60 plasma, and calibrates TVs as a side gig I put my set and the sets that I calibrate under a lot of scrutiny. 2018 and forward OLED panels have pretty much eliminated the worry for burn in with normal use. You'd have to force the burn in.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Sony A1 for over 2 years and no burn in so far. Worries me though so if I'm paused for anything I just turn off the tv until I come back to it.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
After reading your experiences I might be willing to exchange perfectly dark blacks for pretty dark blacks and peace of mind. I want to be able to use my TV however I want without worrying about it causing permanent damage.
A large majority of people in this thread haven't had issues though???

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but I don't game on it for this exact reason. Movies and streaming only.

I can see the Destiny UI in the lower left corner. Nasty burn in. Mostly visible during red-ish colors shown on the display. It's hard to get a good picture of it, but you can see it below.

vclzEMN.png
This is why I don't game on it. Same thing happened to my plasma.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
I would love to buy an OLED, but I heard that especially subtitles can cause burn in.
As I watch nearly all my movies and shows with subs (not a native english speaker), I am a bit concerned if this would be the right decision.
Does someone have experience with this case?

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I have a B6 and I have multiple elements burnt in to my screen. It's an issue that I've gone into depth in other tv threads, so I'll put my feedback here again:

I've found enough issues over the years with my OLED that I have a hard time recommending it to everyone depending on your usage. Given the investment, I'll be riding it out despite it's flaws and shortcomings. That said, I've used my LG B6 daily for work, movies, games and web browsing. I've even had the panel replaced once, for free, due to screen uniformity issues, and I still recommend really doing your homework before you buy one. Things that straight up suck about it:
  1. Burn in. It's real. Especially with reds/orange for some reason. I was surprised that the Netflix logo was one of the things to get me but it did. And this was after I was careful not to linger too long on their menu (which is hard to do anyways because of the built in screensaver - you have to be actively browsing for it to be present). That, and the Google Play play button, despite my aggressive screen timeout, is also stuck. These are only realistically visible in bright, single color screens, so you may never notice it. And I don't recommend seeking it out or anything, but I noticed it during regular usage.
  2. Brightness Limiter. this is some straight bullshit that will adjust brightness depending on overall screen contrast. It's comically noticeable when using a web browser - full white screens, like a new empty tab, are very dark. I also notice it in games all the time. Anything with high contrast - think open world games, especially where you control the camera - obnoxiously switch from bright in low light scenes to dark in outdoor settings. And heaven forbid you swing the camera up to the sky. No amount of tv settings will minimize this: if you notice it, it's there forever.
  3. Screen Dimming. This is a bullshit separate issue from the limiter. If the screen thinks that the overall image is static, it'll dim the everloving fuck out of the picture. The problem is that the tv is absolute garbage at getting this right. It'll kick in during movies or tv shows where the camera doesn't cut away very frequently. It' has straight up made some games unplayable - try playing Below on this screen. After a few rooms, the whole game is so dark that I actually miss certain exits. Some people say you can disable this in the service menu of the tv, but i don't have one of the few universal remotes that make this possible so. Great.
When it's great, OLED is phenomenal. But these three issues have made me hesitate recommending it to people who play games, and certainly those who use it as a desktop monitor.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
LG B6 for 3 years and no burn in so far. I've been aware of the problem from the start and take measures to avoid it. Game HUD's are disabled unless they're really tiny, no news channels with static logs etc. I've been watching a lot of youtube lately and now I'm worried.

I would love to buy an OLED, but I heard that especially subtitles can cause burn in.
As I watch nearly all my movies and shows with subs (not a native english speaker), I am a bit concerned if this would be the right decision.
Does someone have experience with this case?
Subtitles shouldn't be a problem because they're on the screen only small amounts of time and the letters change places. I would avoid yellow colored ones just to be sure.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
As someone that noticed IR on his VT60 plasma, and calibrates TVs as a side gig I put my set and the sets that I calibrate under a lot of scrutiny. 2018 and forward OLED panels have pretty much eliminated the worry for burn in with normal use. You'd have to force the burn in.

What is different about them to help prevent burn-in?

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I see some caveats, both expressed and implied. I also wonder about the correlation between people that have burn-in and their HDR content to SDR content viewing ratio.

I really wanted to get an OLED last month but I want all the nits. Since I primarily watch/use in a well lit room I went for LCD for anxiety free living.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Yep, happened to my B7 LG OLED after about 10 months. Watched a variety of content. Didn't game often, but the elements that burned in were folders on my bookmarks bar, and parts of my YouTube avatar. All were yellow in colour and burned in as green elements on the screen. Used it as a PC monitor as well as general use, figured I was careful enough to avoid staying on one kind of image for too long...but I was wrong, it seems. Always turned the TV off if I was leaving a room too. It's put me right off OLED, despite the great picture it provides. Back to a normal LCD until Micro LED becomes cheaper, because that hopefully doesn't have that issue. I just can't be arsed babying my TV, or being told that I'm watching too much of a particular kind of content that might cumulatively fuck up the screen at some point in the future after my warranty is up. Luckily for me it happened within the first year, the TV got written off as uneconomical to repair and got a full refund, but it was still a pain in the ass.
OLED phones can suffer cumulative burn in too. For me, the technology is too flaky. I really do miss the picture quality, but it's not worth putting up with a display that's prone to that shit.
Fingers crossed for Micro LED, but no doubt there'll be some other pain in the ass issue with that too.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
From what I've read recently it's not about leaving one image on for hours at a time, it's about the cumulative hours overall that causes it. So switching between content constantly wouldn't matter if it still adds up to hundreds/thousands of hours a static screen element overall.

Both my Samsung S7 and S9 had the browser task bar and keyboard burned in badly within a year.

Ninjician-

Oct 29, 2017
OLEDs are rated at well over 25,000 hours halflife.

Cumulative burn-in, sure, but I can see that with any technology.

Per the question above, the 2018 models forward have a larger red sub pixel, and they have an image retention "scrubber" that activates after 4 cumulative hours of use.

You will see burn-in on 2016 and 2017 sets from the red pixel being driven too hard with yellow, magenta and red static, bright images like logos and HUDs.

This is why you see Samsung putting burn in propaganda showing red fullscreen patterns to scare those who have older OLED sets to go out and buy their LCD panels.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
My parents have a 2017 Samsung OLED with terrible burn in. They watch A LOT of MSNBC and you can totally make out the banner across the bottom on other channels. It's kind of funny and shitty for such an expensive tv. I told them they have to watch Fox News to counteract it.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, happened to my B7 LG OLED after about 10 months. Watched a variety of content. Didn't game often, but the elements that burned in were folders on my bookmarks bar, and parts of my YouTube avatar. All were yellow in colour and burned in as green elements on the screen. Used it as a PC monitor as well as general use, figured I was careful enough to avoid staying on one kind of image for too long...but I was wrong, it seems. Always turned the TV off if I was leaving a room too. It's put me right off OLED, despite the great picture it provides. Back to a normal LCD until Micro LED becomes cheaper, because that hopefully doesn't have that issue. I just can't be arsed babying my TV, or being told that I'm watching too much of a particular kind of content that might cumulatively fuck up the screen at some point in the future after my warranty is up. Luckily for me it happened within the first year, the TV got written off as uneconomical to repair and got a full refund, but it was still a pain in the ass.
OLED phones can suffer cumulative burn in too. For me, the technology is too flaky. I really do miss the picture quality, but it's not worth putting up with a display that's prone to that shit.
Fingers crossed for Micro LED, but no doubt there'll be some other pain in the ass issue with that too.

Yea, after years of worrying and taking care of a plasma I went with an LCD. I just didn't want to worry about an expensive tv with a wife that watches too much HGTV.

oled looks awesome though :)

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I've had mine for about a year it's an lg of some type. I use it as my main tv and I haven't noticed any burn. However I am cautious and I like sure not to leave night static images on screen too long.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
2016 model and going strong. Nope.

I worried about it the first 6 months especially since I came from plasma that had frequent image retention.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I've posted about it before, but my LG C7 got burn in from gaming in both SDR and HDR. HUD elements that used red pixels.

On a C9 now with fingers crossed.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Had my LGC7 since launch in 2017, I game on it constantly and my wife is forever streaming media on it inbetween. No issues at all.

The TV does have features to prevent the possibility of the issue: rotates screen savers when it detects no input. Blacks out the screen when you leave something paused and starts like a fireworks scene to keep the pixels active. Shifts images by slightly moving images (it's not perceivable). And if all else fails, pixel refresher to eliminate it.

Not concerned about it in the least.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
As someone really looking forward to the 48cx as a gaming monitor, this thread leaves me really conflicted. I have a three year old Samsung s8+ with no burn in though so that's good.