• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
On this week's Podcast Reload, the folks from Anait (a splinter group from Eurogamer Spain) invited Omar Álvarez to discuss impressions from the last Nintendo Direct.

A bit of context first. Omar Álvarez, who worked from 2011 until 2018 as PR on Nintendo Spain, announced last October he had only 4 months left to live due to an incurable cancer. After a long time fighting with the illness, he has been since then working on a lot of passion projects of his.

As many people in Spain, I only knew about of him because of his announcement back in October. In this week's podcast he has shared some insights, anecdotes and predictions on what Nintendo might be up to. Be warned, the podcast is in Spanish and he is only in for the first half.

Here are some highlights that I have found interesting:

-Around the 35 min mark he doubts for a few seconds, says "what are they (Nintendo) going to do, sue me?", and shares that Nintendo considered using the name "Swiitch" instead of Switch. He doesn't confirm it, but says he is convinced that must have been Iwata's idea. Then, he mentions how Iwata found opposition inside Nintendo when switching from the Gameboy brand into the Nintendo DS naming. In the end Iwata argued that the "boy" in Gameboy excluded women and that "Gameboy" wasn't the important name of the brand, but rather "Nintendo".

-1:06:00 mark. Apparently Kamiya is a bit of a managing disaster. Omar explains how one time, around 4 months before Wonderful 101 release, Kamiya sent a heated email to all Europe PR representatives roasting them because they weren't showing the game anywhere, and the release date was very close. Omar's boss at the time sent a very polite email back explaining how Kamiya hadn't uploaded the preview codes into Nintendo's system, so it was impossible for them to do shit. In the end they received the codes 1 week before it was scheduled to be shared with the press and everyone had to run like crazy in order to make it. Also as a funny anecdote it seems like Kamiya and his team are some hardcore drinkers. Omar explains how one time he saw them at an event completely smashed (lying down on top of the tables, shirts open, etc).

-edit: He also mentions more than once that Monolith is one of the most reliable developers out there in regard of time obligations. When no one believed Xenoblade 2 would release on 2017, he knew they would make it since to his memory they never missed a deadline.

Before that he shares his opinion on how the Direct format has changed and how it was more "hype" before. There's also some wishful thinking in the form of mentioning stuff like Mario Galaxy 3 and how Nintendo is withholding stuff in order to open the floodgates with the inevitable Switch pro. Again, he doesn't say this is insider info, but rather what he thinks Nintendo must be doing after working for so long with them.

There are more interesting bits, but I was cleaning my house while listening to it so I don't think I caught everything.

Edit: Also, I'm unbelievably dumb since I forgot to put it at first but: fuck cancer forever. I hope he can take as many months from cancer as he can. On his tweet he said the doctors had only given him 4, but he was determined to live as many as he possibly could.

Last edited:

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Then, he mentions how Iwata found opposition inside Nintendo when switching from the Gameboy brand into the Nintendo DS naming. In the end Iwata argued that the "boy" in Gameboy excluded women and that "Gameboy" wasn't the important name of the brand, but rather "Nintendo".
How would he know this?

Oct 27, 2017
I can see why Iwata wanted to go with Swiitch. For names you usually don't want to go with common words. It's a nightmare for SEO, but the Switch is so popular it pretty much got around that.

How would he know this?
I feel like this was mentioned before somewhere. It's definitely not the first time I've seen the argument that the name Gameboy isn't inclusive

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Direct format has only ever changed for the better. Went back to watching some old Wii U era Directs not long ago and they felt so dry in comparison, we just didn't know any better at the time - or more accurately, didn't realize the true potential they had.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Sounds like salaryman culture more than anything.
Then I can see how hardcore they would be.

Wait, what happened?

EDIT: Ugh, I missed this in the OP.

A bit of context first. Omar Álvarez, who worked from 2011 until 2018 as PR on Nintendo Spain, announced last October he had only 4 months left to live due to an incurable cancer. After a long time fighting with the illness, he has been since then working on a lot of passion projects of his.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Leaving the Wii branding behind was for the best. It only ever seemed to confuse, and the Wii branding had been largely stagnant before the WiiU even launched (probably because the console had support largely dropped after 2010).

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The Direct format has only ever changed for the better. Went back to watching some old Wii U era Directs not long ago and they felt so dry in comparison, we just didn't know any better at the time - or more accurately, didn't realize the true potential they had.

This is all I miss from the old directs:

c7C3Ugz.gif

Oct 25, 2017
My heart goes out to him and his family.

"Swiitch" would have been weird. At least we got the way more effective Switch. Which makes me wonder what the next console will be since Iwata will have no input (RIP Iwata).
I do think changing to Nintendo DS was a huge help since it made so much bank for them.

That does explain a bit about Wonderful 101's poor marketing. Kamiya couldn't get materials to them on time.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Iwata was right to replace "Game Boy" with "Nintendo DS."

Also, fuck cancer.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I feel that, if they ever went to the "Swiitch" brand, people would just assume that the console was somewhat part of the Wii family, and it wouldn't be half success of what it is now.

Based on nothing of course, but in 2017, the "Wii" brand was already too poisoned for continue existing.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I can see why Iwata wanted to go with Swiitch. For names you usually don't want to go with common words. It's a nightmare for SEO, but the Switch is so popular it pretty much got around that.

I feel like this was mentioned before somewhere. It's definitely not the first time I've seen the argument that the name Gameboy isn't inclusive
I think Iwata said it himself at some point, probably in an Iwata Asks.
Ah, OK. Thanks.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to say but fuck cancer. I hope Omar will be granted a lot more time than he got diagnosed.

Jul 18, 2020
In the end Iwata argued that the "boy" in Gameboy excluded women and that "Gameboy" wasn't the important name of the brand, but rather "Nintendo".

Iwata was a good one, I'm not entirely sure how truthful that is, but it's just so wholesome and it matches how Nintendo approaches game design. Their core goal seems to be making something for everyone and trying to make everyone feel included and that goes beyond simple nods we often see with big publishers. The somewhat scattershot manner in which they do games can often be frustrating, but I know it's for a good reason... Well, the actual reason is to make as much money as humanly possible lol but the way they set out to do so is very democratic for a lack of a better word.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Poor soul has so little time left to live and he's confined by this fucking pandemic instead of being out there enjoying his last moments (on the "good" days where he might feel a bit better obviously).

Fuck this

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly, they're going to call the Switch successor "SwIItch"

Then the successor to that "Sw3tch"

They'd all be pronounced the same way.

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely believe most of the OP. Pretty sure we all knew of the Game Boy brand retiring reason, and yeah Kamiya drinking feels on brand for someone of his personality (at least his PR personality, supposedly he's far more polite in person).

But the Swiitch bit just feels horrifically tone deaf after the Wii U disaster. Thank god they just kept it simple as Switch. You don't need to invent words all the time. Wii was lightning in a bottle, it worked then, stop trying to do stuff that is overly a gamble, especially when your last system was a huge failure in part due to the branding/naming.

But the big thing to take away here... THIS POOR DUDE IS DUE AT ANYTIME NOW! O_o I mean Oct 2020 was 4 months ago and he had 4 months to live? I hope he somehow pulls through! :'(

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm now trying to recall if the existence of a gamegirl branded gameboy in the nineties actually happened or if I'm just going a bit mad.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Forget everything else being said, the context in the OP is fucking heart breaking.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I hope Omar doesn't get in legal trouble for this. I remember when there was a Treehouse employee who lost his job over the localization of Xenoblade 1 on the Wii and how it came about. I know the article says Omar quit however

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Fuck cancer. Hopefully Omar can live even just a bit longer and be able to spend more time with his family, since October was already 4 months ago.

-1:06:00 mark. Apparently Kamiya is a bit of a managing disaster. Omar explains how one time, around 4 months before Wonderful 101 release, Kamiya sent a heated email to all Europe PR representatives roasting them because they weren't showing the game anywhere, and the release date was very close. Omar's boss at the time sent a very polite email back explaining how Kamiya hadn't uploaded the preview codes into Nintendo's system, so it was impossible for them to do shit. In the end they received the codes 1 week before it was scheduled to be shared with the press and everyone had to run like crazy in order to make it.
I'm both sort of surprised and sort of not. Kamiya is the guy that added multi-unite morphs at the last minute without telling Inaba or anyone at Nintendo about it, which made quite a few people mad from what I understand. I see that in a bit of a different light now.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
damn that cancer part is rough.
Apparently Kamiya is a bit of a managing disaster. Omar explains how one time, around 4 months before Wonderful 101 release, Kamiya sent a heated email to all Europe PR representatives roasting them because they weren't showing the game anywhere, and the release date was very close. Omar's boss at the time sent a very polite email back explaining how Kamiya hadn't uploaded the preview codes into Nintendo's system, so it was impossible for them to do shit. In the end they received the codes 1 week before it was scheduled to be shared with the press and everyone had to run like crazy in order to make it.
Illustrates Platinums marketing issues well.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
The Kamiya stuff isn't surprising lol. He acts borderline unstable.

I personally have found it problematic that someone like him has(or had) a good reputation. I never really got it.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Omar doesn't get in legal trouble for this. I remember when there was a Treehouse employee who lost his job over the localization of Xenoblade 1 on the Wii and how it came about. I know the article says Omar quit however
If I remember correctly that guy went on a podcast he wasn't allowed to go on to talk about things he wasn't allowed to talk about, and decided to cap it off by insulting customers that wanted Xenoblade released in America.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was always surprised and relieved they did not go with "Swiitch"

Thank god

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
While I like the tidbits, I'm more focused on the cancer part. Haven't heard of him before but I hope he pulls through.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... he's saying these things because he knows that even if Nintendo sued him, it'd be completely irrelevant to him at this point. Judging by those excerpts in the OP he didn't seem to have said anything that would make Nintendo too angry anyway. They'll just ignore it.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Fuck cancer
Swiitch would have been to weird name

Also some insights regarding Switch name in interview with Koizumi and Takahashi:

And could you tell us about how the Switch got its name, despite the Wii being followed by the Wii U? I imagine there was a lot of heated debate regarding it during your development discussions.

Takahashi: We had numerous discussions about it.

Koizumi: The late president Iwata initially asked us to "Do something new", so we had it in our heads from the start that we had to move away from older names like the Wii and Wii U, or the DS and 3DS. Our line of thinking was that all aspects of the system must be drastically different from past hardware, even down to the name.

Takahashi: And that went for the software development side as well.

Koizumi: Yes. In that sense, we would be changing many different things. For example, we were always thinking about how we could revise the development environment, the way development teams were structured, and even the mindset of the developers themselves. This had more of a connotation of "change", but we decided it would be more appropriate to call it the "Switch", as that had the nuance of a replacement. So we chose that name out of all of the various candidates.

Takahashi: And there was no shortage of name candidates. We must have had thousands.

Thousands! Did the ideas come from many different people?

Koizumi: We told everyone what the new hardware would be like, and asked them to come up with names that would fit well and be easy for people to understand. And we ended up with thousands of potential names.

Takahashi: We ended choosing "switch", a word that means something. It's not a made-up word like the "Wii", so it was also a switch away from that (laughs).

Was decision on the final name made unanimously?

Takahashi: There were a lot of different reactions to it (laughs).

Koizumi: When we explained it, they went "you took all this time to come up with that?" (laughs)

Takahashi: But in the end, we made sure it felt right to the overseas staff. We decided to use it because it would convey new changes from new hardware, and a switch in gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.