• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Insensitive Commentary Surrounding Race
How come season 1 is hated? This shit is golden. Micheal is basically super unfiltered. I am in the Dundies and he has literally Asian glasses in in Chilis as the camera zooms in on an Asian woman.

I super get it is offensive but it seems tailored to be humorous and make a point Micheal is an awful person.

Is the over top rudeness why season 1 is hated?

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not hated - it's just not as good as the rest because we know how good it went on to be. If they'd stuck with the Season 1 template then it'd be highly regarded (though I don't know if it would have survived the axe).

The Office UK is really good, and they tried to copy paste that for US, but the audience in the US has a different sort of humor.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The real takeaway from watching the Office again is that Jim is kind of a dick, especially to Dwight who he just straight up bullies.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It's not bad just different from the other seasons. I like what they did with Michael after the first season for sure though. He's irredeemable in the first, and you kinda can't make a long running show with that.

OP
OP
subpar spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The real takeaway from watching the Office again is that Jim is kind of a dick, especially to Dwight who he just straight up bullies.
OK. No. No. I am going to make a mega-thread eventually to callout this. You guys paint Jim as a bad person for literally no reason because he puts pencils on Dwight's desk or his stapler in jello even though Dwight calls out people in that season for medical conditions and literally gutting their health care because he's some proto-man's man.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
OK. No. No. I am going to make a mega-thread eventually to callout this. You guys paint Jim as a bad person for literally no reason because he puts pencils on Dwight's desk or his stapler in jello even though Dwight calls out people in that season for medical conditions and literally gutting their health care because he's some proto-man's man.
Don't worry you're right
Dwight is an awful humain being

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017

One of the best things is the snowball fight. Jim throws a snowball at Dwight and then Dwight cranks it up to 11 and goes to all out snow warfare and gets his revenge on Jim.

The end scene where Jim comes out to a parking lot full of snowmen and he's scared Dwight might be in one of them is just the greatest.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Dundies is season 2. Season 2 is one of the best.

As mentioned, season 1 is a copy of the British show. The show finds its own way in 2 and 3

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
We're rewatching it too! I've noticed so many more things on rewatches.

... and Jim is kinda a dick. Not just to Dwight but Pam and Karen. 😕

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When you compare it directly to the Uk version you can see how shit it is. At least when they go off and do their own thing you can start to forget about the og version and it's superiority and start to maybe enjoy what they are going for.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm pretty sure I skipped season 1 on both of my last two rewatches, so it's probably been like a decade since I've seen season 1, I should probably view it next time around. All I remember is not liking it because it was so clearly just trying to copy the British version instead of being its own thing, much to its detriment

Oct 25, 2017
You have my fucking sword with this shit. Dwight, Angela, Michael, Stanley, Kelly, and Oscar all partake in some form of cheating, Jan is abusive/psychotic, Roy emotionally abusive, destructive, and attempts to assault someone, Kelly and Ryan are horrendous to eachother, Ryan becomes a drug addict CEO and later just plain insufferable, Dwight has literally endangered lives, Michael is a mixture of racist, bigoted, sexist at any given moment and hit someone with his car.

But fucking JIM is the most hated dude cause he's smug and plays elaborate pranks?

L

M

A

O

O

O

O

Yeah the more I've rewatched it the more I empathize with Dwight in some instances.

Makes the snowball fight episode all the better!

Dwight shouted out employee's private medical conditions.

Dwight abandoned an employee in the country without transport, cellphone or location.

Dwight orchestrated a fake fire in the office that caused an employee to almost die from a heart attack.

But Jim put a cellphone in the ceiling, HE's the true villian!

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Jim is not a dick. He's a textbook Gen X slacker. He makes mistakes, yes, but his heart is always in the right place. His main fault is being lazy to the detriment of his career, not being a dick.

He's wasting his talents in a job he hates for a lack of knowing what he wants to do with his life.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Cause fans of the original British version saw through the terrible Americanized versions of the original material.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
British and American humour are fundamentally different, and S01 of the US The Office tried was too close to the British original, including the gray image colour. The mainstream American audience isn't really looking for your typical funny but "depressing" and unfiltered British comedy. They like successful romance stories (Pam and Jim) and unusual but overall likeable characters (Dwight, Micheal).

The original aimed for something different, and I don't know if the American version would have lasted for long if they had followed the British style.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
His main fault is being lazy to the detriment of his career, not being a dick.

Not macking on a woman who's already in a relationship?

I know, Roy is a total clod so we don't feel bad about it, but still... it always kind of rubbed me the wrong way both that Jim was so forward and that Pam was so obviously down with it.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
in season one he was mostly terrible. and terrible at his job
they knew they wanted to run this show way longer than 1 or 2 seasons, so they had to sand off his rough edges and have him occasionally be good at his job so it would be believable that he doesnt just get fired for being a terrible boss/person

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Not macking on a woman who's already in a relationship?

I know, Roy is a total clod so we don't feel bad about it, but still... it always kind of rubbed me the wrong way both that Jim was so forward and that Pam was so obviously down with it.

It would be an issue if Jim and Roy were best friends but they don't even like each other. Besides, no one stays engaged that long in a healthy relationship. The show goes out of its way to show that Pam and Roy aren't meant to be together.

Oct 27, 2017
You have my fucking sword with this shit. Dwight, Angela, Michael, Stanley, Kelly, and Oscar all partake in some form of cheating, Jan is abusive/psychotic, Roy emotionally abusive, destructive, and attempts to assault someone, Kelly and Ryan are horrendous to eachother, Ryan becomes a drug addict CEO and later just plain insufferable, Dwight has literally endangered lives, Michael is a mixture of racist, bigoted, sexist at any given moment and hit someone with his car.

But fucking JIM is the most hated dude cause he's smug and plays elaborate pranks?

L

M

A

O

O

O

O

Dwight abandoned an employee in the country without transport, cellphone or location.

Dwight orchestrated a fake fire in the office that caused an employee to almost die from a heart attack.

Seriously. I hate this trend in online discussions of "Actually the villain who kills a million people isn't so bad and the hero is the real villain because he lies once". Not to say Jim is a hero, but he is so staggeringly less shitty than people like Michael or Dwight.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It would be an issue if Jim and Roy were best friends but they don't even like each other. Besides, no one stays engaged that long in a healthy relationship. The show goes out of its way to show that Pam and Roy aren't meant to be together.

Yeah I guess. I've been cheated on and most certainly was not a Roy so this kind of stuff makes me feel some kind of way.

But people really should definitively end a previous relationship before starting a new one.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Dwight tortures a cat to death.

No, Dwight should've never had the upper hand on Jim. Not once.

It's more that the horrible shit other people do is stuff straight out of a cartoon. It's so unbelievably bad that they all would have been fired years ago or end up in jail.

On the other hand, we have all worked with Jims before and Jims don't get fired for being the most arrogant, condescending, and smug person in the office. They also don't get fired for hitting on married women.

Maybe if Jim gave up the whole "Jim shtick" once in a while and actually cared about something then he wouldn't be such an awful character at times.

Dec 31, 2017

L

M

A

O

O

O

O

Dwight shoots a person with a chronic cardiac condition in the chest with a bull tranquillizer (twice!)

Dwight has an prolonged affair with an engaged woman.

Dwight brings dangerous and illegal weapons to work.

Dwight steals client lists from another company.

Oct 27, 2017
Dwight shoots a person with a chronic cardiac condition in the chest with a bull tranquillizer (twice!)

Dwight has an prolonged affair with an engaged woman.

Dwight brings dangerous and illegal weapons to work.

Dwight steals client lists from another company.
Isn't Angela married during the affair stuff or have I just repressed that awful storyline from memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.