• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Hashtags on Parler denoting Trump's favorite conspiracy theories — #Dominion, #Sharpiegate, #QAnon — trend freely, without the restrictions Twitter and Facebook have instituted to suppress them. Stories from fringe sites pushing baseless allegations of voter fraud are not flagged as disinformation, as they often are elsewhere. Videos from the Million MAGA March depicting heated confrontations between MAGA supporters, counter-protesters and D.C. police are shared as evidence of rampant antifa violence, omitting necessary context that would show otherwise.

Ever since its launch in 2018, Parler has existed in a boom-bust cycle — constantly promising to be the "free speech" alternative to places like Twitter and Facebook.

Virtually every time there has been a blowup in the press over social media companies moderating conservative content, big-name populists would publicly proclaim they were leaving the platforms, urging their followers to follow them to Parler. Usually, however, they would return to their regular Twitter schedules and Facebook posts within weeks, engaging with their exponentially larger audiences on those platforms.

Whether Parler can actually scale and present a reliable challenge to Twitter or Facebook is another question, though. It could simply go the way of other right-wing media projects and remain ostensibly on the fringe.

"The self-segmenting of this group to Parler will intensify their extremism. No doubt about that," said Carusone, of Media Matters. "But it will also weaken the influence of the right-wing by siphoning off a segment of users, many of whom will be the most engaged users."

It's a point that even some pro-Trump allies are making. During a Nov. 13 appearance on Fox Business Network, GOP Congressman Devin Nunes was parrying questions from Lou Dobbs, a nominally Trump-friendly anchor, who asked him bluntly if the GOP had a legal plan to save Trump.

"In order to win these battles," Nunes said, "we have to have a place to communicate. When you ask, what are we doing now, that's why millions of Americans are flooding over to Parler. They're flooding over to Rumble."

"Good lord, congressman," Dobbs responded. "With all due respect, congressman, and I respect the hell out of you — pushing Parler and Rumble is not an answer to what I'm asking."

www.politico.com

On Parler, MAGA’s postelection world view blossoms with no pushback

The rapidly expanding social media site has given Trump backers a platform to simply dismiss the postelection reality and reinforce baseless voter-fraud conspiracies.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Give it a year and you'll have 31 forks of the service to accomodate every nuance of the secterian conflicts that will break out.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
at least it's helpful to have them all in one place if we ever decide to start investigating right wing terrorists..

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'd rather these deplatformed goons be banished from facebook/twitter/youtube to parler and other super isolated platforms where their rhetoric can't reach impressionable minds. A lot of these people are too far off the deep end and it's best to keep them isolated.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the feds are monitoring. Because I feel that place will bring about some crazy shit that might lead to something dangerous. Echo chambers are not good.

Last edited:

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
Hey FBI guy, I think I know where you can find some clues as to where most of the near-future domestic terror attacks will be generated.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
It'll close once a terrorist attack gets linked to it. You know these idiots will plan something there now that they have their safe spaces like a bunch of snowflakes.

Depressing knowing likely that will close it.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
That's fine, let them go fringe. They're gonna gather somewhere online. As long as they're sequestered in some lonely loser corner of the internet and not spreading like wildfire across mainstream platforms.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Parker is backed by some super shady Russian interests, I believe the holdings company for Guliani's law firm also plays a role in that somewhere. Honestly, if these post-truth high school educated kooks want to have their own safe space then I say let them. It will keep them off the actual popular platforms and curb their ability to disseminate disinformation and bigotry to kids and unaffiliated citizens.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Parley and Rumble will see their users bases panic when they find out they are working with the FBI in the next administration.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some dipshit on 8chan or 4chan or whateverchan is how we got Qanon, so I'm not too excited to see what comes out of these new sites geared toward the deranged. Also, I'm pretty positive if Twitter bans Trump for being Trump, he'll swing on over to Parler. Hopefully, he becomes a major shareholder and it fails like everything else he touches.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
They respect free speech unless you voice liberal views and then you catch a ban.
I might pop my head in and see how long it takes my free speech to get banned. Might be fun.
Edit on second thoughts I don't want that fuck nugget Dan bongino to accidentally make some advertising money off of me.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I did watch the "politics" section on another forum. Seems like a different world. "So much evidence of voterfraud! Just wait untill this reaches supreme court!" And everything is connected to 911, pizzagate, deep state, Gates, Obama, 5G and ancient aliens. I would laugh my ass off if it wasn't so shocking and dangerous.
Imagine not being able to see Trump for what he really is: A talentless tumor. Imagine needing HIM as the avatar and shining example for your way of life.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
They've become addicted to the conspiracy world dangled on the fringe of mainstream right wing media for years, then fully embraced by the MAGA president, his admin, and his toadies in Congress.

Now that Trump has lost and the world has to move on without jailing and beheading Hillary Clinton's sex cabal, they can't do it. Moving on from the Durham probe? Can't do it. Moving on from Hunter's laptop? Can't do it. Moving onto real national Covid guidelines and prep for a vaccine? Can't do it.

They are openly threatening violence against Republican officials who don't follow Sidney Powell on her Hugo Chavez-Dominion-Soros rants. It will take years to deprogram this lot, and it doesn't help that there are monied interests still addicted to grifting these people 24/7.

Rebekah Mercer founded and is funding Parler. She has made griefing the American people her life's work and mission. Newsmax's founder is a friend of Trump. AMI, RT, Bannon at Breitbart... all of these sources are invested in right wing populism more than the GOP. This is going to be a scary time for the US, I hope the DoJ is up to the task.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
CzIn.gif

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
It's better that they flock to Parler instead of be on Twitter, where there are and always will be way, way more people to be influenced by their nonsense.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
There hasn't been a far right social media that conservatives have flocked to after the mainstream social medias kicked them off/was too liberal for them that actually succeeded right?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I mean, good.
I get the argument that letting them all hang out together just lets shit gets more and more insane with possible real world blowback.

But since it's cordoned off, its harder to recruit from the outside and since they've gone full batshit without the protocols they've used to avoid getting banned on more mainstream social media ("I am just asking a question!")...it's hard just to check out Parler etc and not immediately know what you're dealing with. If you show up at that app's doorstep, you already were indoctrinated.

The 'marketplace of ideas' has failed because there's billions being made off radicalizing these morons; until we fix that problem it's better to leave em in their own fucked up world. Because obviously letting them play in general pop. just leads to people falling for their 'both sides!' bullshit.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
There hasn't been a far right social media that conservatives have flocked to after the mainstream social medias kicked them off/was too liberal for them that actually succeeded right?
Depends on what you mean by "succeeded." 4chan is effectively that after the advent of /pol/, Voat and Gab are still around, 8chan/8kun persists despite hosting and DNS difficulty. Bitchute and a handful of others still quote unquote compete with YouTube.

If you mean something that became a mainstream social media site on par with the alternative it split from but with a more conservative bent, not really. The usual nature of these splinter sites is insular and they tend not to pick up momentum and become a platform that people recruit on effectively.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
These places always prove the original point against them, as as soon as these people gather, conspiracy theories, racism, bigotry and hatred just flourish.