• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Its 12:30am Pacific Time right now in where I live and I just came back to ResetEra after a one week ban. It was an interesting week for me, personally. I discovered some stuff about myself during my times of self-reflection and I realized how I conduct myself in the real-world and on the internet.

It's safe to say that I act differently on the internet in some ways. On the one hand, I get to speak about certain things that I can't find someone else in the real-world to talk about with in regard to video games (with the exception of my brother). It seems that one of the reasons why I conduct myself differently on the internet is not because my identity is not known but rather I engage with the internet world while I'm alone. I realized that I'm at my worst state of mind when I'm alone and when I bring that state of mind with me during my engagement with ResetEra as a forum, I tend to not be as considerate as I could be. Needless to say, I've made a mediocre impression on this forum through several displays of my account receiving warnings in both popular and unpopular threads.

At first, I didn't really care about receiving those warnings but as time went by, I got to see what the consequences of accumulated warnings were: increased length of the ban. I'm at a point right now where I don't know whether some of my latest posts will get reported or not. I've had some questionable and not-so-questionable warnings in the past but being at the brink of a permanent ban has made me think about the price of not being considerate.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think we all act a little differently on the internet than we do normally, and many of us may have had to learn to be a little more considerate as the example and standard is often not to be, especially within other communities. I am quite happy with how the administration team built the ban/warning policy here as i do hope people can hopefully reflect on their more negative posting habits and learn to be a better part of the community. Perhaps try being GamingSomewhatEnthusiast :).

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Just post within reason. Out of curiosity how many warnings lead to a permanent ban? I imagine you'd have to do some pretty blatant bashing/trolling to get that.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just avoid the Star Wars threads and you'll be fine.

Seriously though, is it truly that difficult to be considerate and constructive when discussing something with another person?

You're not the only person guilty of being a douchewad to someone on the Net but at least you actually had some time to reflect and acknowledge that there's an issue.

Take it easy buddy, life's too short.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion, the moderation here is considerably worse than the old place. And I had no love for the old place. It's not particularly even handed and it's a much stricter manipulation of the flow of a conversation. The big bold alerts for what users were warned about feel like an unnecessary public chastisement for what often isn't a particularly egregious offense.

DreamMakers

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
In my opinion, the moderation here is considerably worse than the old place. And I had no love for the old place. It's not particularly even handed and it's a much stricter manipulation of the flow of a conversation. The big bold alerts for what users were warned about feel like an unnecessary public chastisement for what often isn't a particularly egregious offense.

Funny you say that because messages like this usually lead to a warning.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been banned twice. Once for an innocent thread derail (not an argument), once for a stupid joke topic.

Because of the Joke topic, which was only the second topic I've ever made, my thread making privelages were revoked. It's been several weeks now and I have no idea how or if I can get my thread privelages back.

It really sucks because I want to make a serious Pinball OT and no one else is doing it.

Anyway, I get where you are coming from, OP. I learned (most of) my lessons about internet etiquette on GAF but I still slip up and act like a jerk sometimes.

Now, that said, I was never banned on GAF for either of the reasons I was banned here, nor did I ever have my thread privelages taken away once.

Take that how you will.

It's not particularly even handed and it's a much stricter manipulation of the flow of a conversation.

If you think this place is strict you should try actively posting on the Waypoint forums. That place drove me nuts, I couldn't handle it.

Last edited:

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Having an opinion and being civil aren't mutually exclusive. You can do both.
That said, I think sometimes we are all guilty of being being abrupt or wording thing on a way that on refection we realise crossed a line.
If in doubt, don't push post ...

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
About 6 years ago I went through a bout of severe depression. One of the things I came out of that period with was a realisation that getting annoyed about things people say on the internet to the point of getting into arguments and fights over it was utterly pointless. So I don't anymore and you know what? It's sooooo much more chill. You can also appreciate the entertainment that is a good internet fight without needing to be in the middle of things. I learned that it's nicer to post positive things than negative in a lot of instances.

So if someone makes a terrible post about why the art in Squirrel Girl is bad don't get annoyed and start a fight with them. Just say why you like Squirrel Girl (Best girl) and let people with less sense rage and scream and eventually divert the thread into hating Furries. Poor Furries.

OP
OP
GamingEnthusiast
Oct 28, 2017
I've been banned twice. Once for an innocent thread derail (not an argument), once for a stupid joke topic.

Because of the Joke topic, which was only second topic I've ever made, my thread making privelages were revoked. It's been several weeks now and I have no idea how or if I can get my thread privelages back.

It really sucks because I want to make a serious Pinball OT and no one else is doing it.

Anyway, I get where you are coming from, OP. I learned (most of) my lessons about internet etiquette on GAF but I still slip up and act like an jerk sometimes.

Whoa, I didn't know your threat-making privelages would get revoked if you made a joke topic.....I had a thread in mind that is both serious and not-so-serious but its an interesting perspective on how two video game developers may have a hidden rivalry that may have been discovered by me. Now I'm scared to post that kind of thread if it means my privelages get removed.

Deleted member 3534

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny you say that because messages like this usually lead to a warning.

And that would kind of prove my point, not that I think anyone would care. Either way, I don't have anything to lose. I'm not going to not speak my mind because someone might disagree with what I have to say.

I genuinely think this is a considerably less fun and funny place to post and read because of how the moderation is handled. It's can be a bore in no small part thanks to the stuffy attitude.

OP
OP
GamingEnthusiast
Oct 28, 2017
About 6 years ago I went through a bout of severe depression. One of the things I came out of that period with was a realisation that getting annoyed about things people say on the internet to the point of getting into arguments and fights over it was utterly pointless. So I don't anymore and you know what? It's sooooo much more chill. You can also appreciate the entertainment that is a good internet fight without needing to be in the middle of things. I learned that it's nicer to post positive things than negative in a lot of instances.

So if someone makes a terrible post about why the art in Squirrel Girl is bad don't get annoyed and start a fight with them. Just say why you like Squirrel Girl (Best girl) and let people with less sense rage and scream and eventually divert the thread into hating Furries. Poor Furries.

I will follow this way of thinking and see if it works for me as well as it did for you. Thanks for sharing this!

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I will follow this way of thinking and see if it works for me as well as it did for you. Thanks for sharing this!

The thing about the internet that you have to remember is no matter how hard you fight people are always going to say things that you think are utter bollocks. It's a neverending sea of idiot. It's a lot less stressful when you can let it go and liberating just to post something positive instead.

During one of my dark times I made a post on a forum about having trouble getting a doctor's appointment in a reasonable time. As you'd expect people crawled out of the woodwork to criticise me. I was so furious that I was sat at the keyboard hammering out responses barely able to type because my hands were shaking so much. Don't go there. Not worth it.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Because of the Joke topic, which was only the second topic I've ever made, my thread making privelages were revoked. It's been several weeks now and I have no idea how or if I can get my thread privelages back.
Anyway, I get where you are coming from, OP. I learned (most of) my lessons about internet etiquette on GAF but I still slip up and act like an jerk sometimes.
Now, that said, I was never banned on GAF for either of the reasons I was banned here, nor did I ever have my thread privelages taken away once.
Take that how you will.
I was permanently banned from NeoGAF once for very playfully saying the community could be a bit up its own arse in a new slogan thread, the reason for the ban stated "Suck my dick." I was able to get this ban overturned as another mod thankfully found it very silly, but NeoGAF has very little consistency with its moderation, it was just who saw your post and how they were feeling right then and there, and trying to dispute issues dealt was a struggle. The moderation here is enforcing a fairly clear set of policies that you can read about in detail in the FAQ, and has transparency in its actions and a path to discuss and dispute decisions. ResetEra is still new, and mistakes will be made with moderation practices as its a learning experience for many of its staff, but its policy and moderation is honestly quite a bit better than GAF's in my 10 years there.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was permanently banned from NeoGAF once for very playfully saying the community could be a bit up its own arse in a new slogan thread, the reason for the ban stated "Suck my dick." I was able to get this ban overturned as another mod thankfully found it very silly, but NeoGAF has very little consistency with its moderation, it was just who saw your post and how they were feeling right then and there, and trying to dispute issues dealt was a struggle. The moderation here is enforcing a fairly clear set of policies that you can read about in detail in the FAQ, and has transparency in its actions and a path to discuss and dispute decisions. ResetEra is still new, and mistakes will be made with moderation practices as its a learning experience for many of its staff, but its policy and moderation is far better than GAF was in my 10 years there.

I'm not worried about it. Gaf was often pretty unforgiving.

I like ResetERA, I prefer it to Gaf. But I could contribute more if I could make threads...

[Mods: Please? No more jokes, pinky swear]

Futuro

Banned
Nov 22, 2017

No, I think it started out better, more relaxed and not as tight-arsed. But now we have the same tendency as the old place to form an echo chamber. The whole fucking Trump narrative is seeping in making Era look like the counter-version of Stormfront during the Obama terms (everything Trump does is wrong, we get it).
A board works best if you leave it alone and allow different opinions to be displayed. And stop confusing sarcasm with "trolling", or any opinion you don't like for that matter. People are way too eager to control others and this never ends well.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the same way.
For example, I received a warning for thread derailing and I didn't even bring that topic up. I was responding to a disrespectful post of someone, who tried to convince people to not care about a certain thing, which was condescending at best. Dude gets nothing of course.
Another one just insulted everyone indirectly, reported it, nobody said anything.

I'm really at a point, where I don't care about this forum anymore.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
It's good to hear that you feel you've grown. Unfortunately, the thread appears to be veering off course.

If you feel a warning has been given incorrectly or have other moderation concerns you are welcome to appeal to Selina or Rowlf.

Status
Not open for further replies.