• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lately I've noticed how toxic the discussions surrounding Switch have turned. This became especially apparent to me on the threads for Dark Souls and Wolfenstein II, where a bunch of members came to the threads just to shit on the port, saying how they couldn't understand why anyone would play an "inferior" game when a better version is available in other platforms. To me, all those posts sound like the PC players who sometimes come into console threads and give shit to those versions for not running at 100 FPS in extreme settings, which was as much as a stupid comparison to make in that context as it is in this context.

We have to understand that PC's will always have a performance edge vs home consoles, and home consoles will always have an edge versus portable consoles, which is what the Switch ultimately is; but that doesn't mean people who played Crysis on PS3 were mediocre or easy to please, or that people playing DS on Switch are somehow stupid for not getting the PS4 Pro version.

Personally, I have almost every console since the N64, yet I decided to play Doom 2016 on Switch because the console offers a versatility that suits my lifestyle better than the rest of my consoles. Was it an "inferior" version? I don't feel so. Am I stupid for buying it on Switch instead of PS4? Nope. While it may not run at 60 fps or at 1080p, it offered me the chance to try to complete a mission a couple times, put my console to sleep with the tap of a button, and come back to it after a bit within 30 seconds, regardless of where I was (living room, bedroom, university, train, etc)

Every platform has its pros and cons, and it's childish to judge someone based on the platform they pick to buy a multiplayer game, ffs. I seriously don't get why the moderation team hasn't been acting against these new trolls.

Anyway, have a good weekend lads.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. I have to say some of the posts on the Wolfenstein 2 and Dark Souls port threads fo me Switch have been truly embarrassing. Serious amount of salt from people who cannot resist letting everybody know how powerful their penis PC / PS4 Pro / Xbox 1 X is.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Being tethered to a TV makes you bitter. Luckily, if you're a Switch owner you can just walk away from this foolishness.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure about the games since some people obviously value portability over performance, but Switch itself is not downplayed by any stretch of imagination on this forum. It's omnipresent.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
While I like to play multiplats more on PS4 Pro or PC because of mouse controls (in case of DOOM) or because of higher framerates I have nothing but respect for third-parties managing to bring games onto Switch. Playing those huge games on the go has huge appeal, there's no denying that. So I don't get the console warrior stuff around Switch, as well.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's completely OK to shit on anything Nintendo related here, just as it was on the old site.

Deleted member 14002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen any of these toxic drive by posts you've mentioned.

Also I consider ERA a pretty Pro-Nintendo environment. If anything I'd say we have a ton of people doing the opposite of dumping on the switch in almost any thread. Pseudo port begging.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Some people do react to Nintendo and Nintendo-related news in a unique way to any other developer or publisher - this even can be seen to spread to 3rd Parties on occasion, where you'd think the desire to make money should trump all emotion. Just enjoy your games and don't worry about what they think. You know why you love those games, and there's no point getting frustrated that others are close-minded at times.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The arbitrary "good enough" performance threshold always coincidentally matches a fanboy s platform of choice.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
Mostly just people still annoyed and bitter over the prior period of "perfect for Switch" that was overly apparent towards the back end of last year and beginning of this year.

IMO seems to be about evening out on both sides, you're always gonna get it with Nintendo products and the perceived less powerful console which at times and currently is the same product.

I don't wholly believe it's one side being worst then the other but I do believe the constant switch praise for every little thing, and "perfect for Switch" meme are both dying down so you're just seeing more of the X play better on Y.

I will just say OP... IMO these types of posts are no better...

Good that I'm a person with such low standards that I find this heavily downgraded port from a last year game impressive and will very likely buy it.

Posts like these will bring about console warring and having a holier then thou approach to what you like. It's a preference doesn't make you better or worse we are all just gamers.

It's like saying you're a purist because you'll play any game any way it's given to you... that's your choice doesn't make it right or better

Last edited:

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people value performance over everything else from their games. Others value portability. Most fall on a spectrum where they tend towards one or the other of those two extremes on a game by game basis.
The important thing is to understand that everyone has their own requirements from their games, and to respect those. Just because you don't understand the value of portability or high end graphics doesn't make those irrelevant nor the people who value those wrong.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
People don't always understand that someone might have only the one console, and no multi-thousand-dollar PC gaming rig to play on. Those ports are largely for people that either A) want to play the game on the go, or B) never played it before. Why shit on that? While I won't be picking up Dark Souls (because I already have it), I'm not going to bitch about someone who does, and I look forward to seeing a bunch of people get into the game who've never played it (or any of the Soulsborne games) before.

Just because you're not going to buy something isn't any reason for it not to exist.

The more the merrier, I say. The Switch is a hell of a system and I'm all for putting as many awesome games on it as possible.

FireFistAce

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So, if people are watching the Wolfeistein Switch footage and are seeing framerate that drops to 15fps, should they not comment about it?

Oct 25, 2017
It really sours discourse here.

Makes it seem like console wars are very much alive.

People don't always understand that someone might have only the one console, and no multi-thousand-dollar PC gaming rig to play on. Those ports are largely for people that either A) want to play the game on the go, or B) never played it before. Why shit on that? While I won't be picking up Dark Souls (because I already have it), I'm not going to bitch about someone who does, and I look forward to seeing a bunch of people get into the game who've never played it (or any of the Soulsborne games) before.

Just because you're not going to buy something isn't any reason for it not to exist.

The more the merrier, I say. The Switch is a hell of a system and I'm all for putting as many awesome games on it as possible.
Gatekeeping is a hell of a drug

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, if people are watching the Wolfeistein Switch footage and are seeing framerate that drops to 15fps, should they not comment about it?
They should definitely comment on it and even mention how it's not the kind of port that appeals to them (if that is the case, that is). Then when someone else explains how they're willing to put up with lower visual performance for more versatility in how the game can be played, they should respect that instead of attacking not just the game and the platform, but also the person who can have very valid reasons for preferring portability over all else.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This is nothing new. Handheld fans have endured this since GBA times. Borderlands 2, NFS Most Wanted Vita threads were full of comments like these. Some people just don't understand the aspect of the portables as they don't need them. I wish I had their free time at home.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Not sure about the games since some people obviously value portability over performance, but Switch itself is not downplayed by any stretch of imagination on this forum. It's omnipresent.
There are 4 "big" game platforms at the moment. It is thus reasonable that 25% of the discussion about specific consoles would be about one of them. Why is it that nobody gets angry when people discuss the PS4, or the XBOX, or the PC, their exclusive games, whatever, but every Switch related thread is full of passive-aggressive people who are annoyed at its very existence?

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I haven't been around long enough to see all these posts you mention, but console warriors are going to be in every thread about every system. Console wars are dumb, though, I fully agree.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland

There is commenting on it which is fine if your gonna buy it and your disappointed but if the whole point of the post is just to belittle Switch owners who want an 'inferior' version of the product and to tell others why they are wrong for wanting it on Switch then that is not acceptable.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's completely OK to shit on anything Nintendo related here, just as it was on the old site.

Yeah it has nothing to do with all of the "switch changed my life" hyperbolic threads and posts over the past year and the port begging in countless other threads. That didn't generate any tension in the community at all. You guys didn't do anything wrong and Nintendo is just being picked on.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are 4 "big" game platforms at the moment. It is thus reasonable that 25% of the discussion about specific consoles would be about one of them. Why is it that nobody gets angry when people discuss the PS4, or the XBOX, or the PC, their exclusive games, whatever, but every Switch related thread is full of passive-aggressive people who are annoyed at its very existence?
Because we're coming from a generation when there were only three big platforms dominating discourse and suddenly having to share that space with a fourth one (which is the big new thing and so gets additional attention due to being part of the zeitgeist) comes as a bit of a shock to some.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You just have to ignore the trolls and console warriors.

As someone who has a gaming PC, PS4 Pro and a Switch, but doesn't care about portability, I have no interest in multiplatform ports personally. But I 100% see the appeal for Switch only gamers, portable games and so on and I'm super glad the console is getting those ports for those folks.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I regularly see drive by posts asking why anyone would want to play a inferiour port. I even saw someone say that the novelty of portability will wear off lol.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
It's fair to say that the Doom Switch port is a good port. It's also fair to say that it's not the most technically impressive version of the game.

But it really shouldn't matter if you are playing something and your happy with it. I don't think we have to either rush to defend or condemn every game that someone enjoys. If you like what you are playing, that should be good enough.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it has nothing to do with all of the "switch changed my life" hyperbolic threads and posts over the past year and the port begging in countless other threads. That didn't generate any tension in the community at all. You guys didn't do anything wrong and Nintendo is just being picked on.
So if someone actually feels the Switch made their gaming experience better and wanted to discuss it, they're 'generating tension' in the community? The fact that there is tension generated by someone praising something they like should tell you everything you need to know.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
I get why people may be disappointed, and they are allowed to be just that, if they are. However, the way this disappointment is expressed is just how you explained it. Clicking on a thread to make a post the belittle people who enjoy "inferior" products is not expressing disappointment, but rather starting shit instead.

The posters that try to express disappointment another way, always compare it to the PS4 or PC, then follow up with it being technically inferior (usually a wordy post), like it is supposed to be some educational post or something. The thing is, no one is arguing the blatant obvious, they are arguing that the blatant obvious keeps being regurgitated in every thread, unprovoked I might add (no one is claiming the Switch is technically superior). People get it, the Switch is technically inferior to the PC/PS4/XboxOne, it really doesn't need to be restated numerous every Switch game trailer release thread.

If someone whats to give their point of view, and express disappointment, then why not relative to what the hardware is offering/form factor? I feel like this would engage is much more intelligent discussion.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Except for all the praise and threads Nintendo and the Switch gets over here.
I swear some people just only see what they wanna see sometimes.

You too OP.
Yeah, this notion that ERA as a whole is "Pro" or "Anti" any system is kind of ridiculous. There's 35k+ people here all with their own set of interests. We aren't a hivemind

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Funny, people in Xbox threads complain about people with drive-by posts and derailing the thread.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's so much irony in this post. Hillarious coming speciffically from you. Very hillarious.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
My desktop is better than your smart watch

3199076-img_8820.jpg

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shitting on a port because it looks and runs worse makes your version less enjoyable why...?

People should let others be happy about a port. It gives others a chance to enjoy the game because (maybe) they don't have the money for a PC,
not the time for a second machine or just don't like Twin Stick control, have a family and want to play it somehow OR are always on the road.
There are several reasons to buy an "inferior" version and it's everyone elses decision.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow you've got quite the persecution complex there.

Practically half of the Video Games section consists of Switch threads; or threads about games that will come to Switch, or a game's sales on Switch, or "Look guys I have something actually interesting to say about why I want port of arbitrary game X on Switch, unlike the other 200 Switch portbegging threads, I swear" or "Here's my hot take about Switch concept X".

The Switch isn't being "downplayed", it simply has a (somewhat vocal) minority that's actually not interested in the platform. Just look at the last 3 pages of the Video Games forum and tell me how many Switch threads you see. In virtually every "Switch fans v. Switch haters" situation the Switch fans are more vocal and more numerous. Switch is praised and talked about everywhere on this forum, it's really silly to argue that Switch fans are generally (or significantly) being dismissed.

To some people, it is the inferior port and you don't have to get your panties in a bunch about how other people don't like the Switch. People will dismiss the Switch like they will everything else.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So if someone actually feels the Switch made their gaming experience better and wanted to discuss it, they're 'generating tension' in the community? The fact that there is tension generated by someone praising something they like should tell you everything you need to know.

Thats not what he means. You have a lot of threads "I bought a Switch. I saw the light" and you dont see how, if you see a lot of those threads, it might become annoying? The tension was created when one community got mad that one community thread was in Hangouts, the other wasnt.

The tension is created when you see "portbegging" in other threads or threads develop into something else because of that. The DQ11 thread was like that. That whole thread even had conspiracy theories, Square still hates Nintendo and stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.