• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Bayonetta 3 dead?

• Dead like Scalebound!

Votes: 50 13.2%
  • Not dead but in comatose state for now

Votes: 115 30.3%
  • Being saved for next gen consoles

Votes: 20 5.3%
  • Nah Dahbomb you crazy, Bayonetta 3 is going to get re-revealed again VERY soon!

Votes: 194 51.2%

• Total voters

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"DMC is back" yeah yeah we get it. However, with all these great action games coming out and doing well (not just the two mentioned but also Astral Chain which was also nominated)...

Where the hell is Bayonetta 3?

newspic-78158.jpg

Bayonetta 3 was teased at TGA.... 2 YEARS AGO with no signs of any development progress since then.

This statement was issued regarding Bayonetta 3 around June of this year:

Development going "well" yet no news about this highly anticipated action title.

Platinum Games has had a busy release schedule releasing Astral Chain and soon to be releasing Babylon's Fall (another potential great action game that has coop). One can't help but think that they are being stretched thin especially with their recent crop of big name developers leading the studio:

(Tatsuya Minami developed his own company M-Two Inc that is working closely with Capcom on RE3 Remake).

Should we be worried? Is Bayonetta 3 getting revamped/remade to be something completely different than what the original design goal was? Is it going to get shitcanned like Scalebound? Is it being saved for the new Nintendo console? Is Platinum Games in troubles? Is this thread too concern troll-y?

I was legit very excited for the announcement of Bayo 3 (as all fans of good action games should be) but the excitement has dwindled since many games have come and gone. I am no stranger for waiting for games (waited so long in between DMC games) but this lack of news around Bayo 3 after unveil has been disconcerting to say the least.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the director leaving the company obviously suggests it's not going well and Babylon's Fall being a tire fire probably isn't helping.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
What next gen consoles would it be saved for? Switch 2 in like 2023?

it's probably gonna get rerevealed at least next year

Oct 26, 2017

It was announced for 2019 back at e3 2018.

They said nothing about the game before December 2019.

In December 2019, they showed a very generic trailer that looked like test footage and then said "more info in six months" without giving a target year.

So, uhhhhhhhhhhh, feels like reasonable inference here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

In December 2019, they showed a very generic trailer that looked like test footage and then said "more info in six months"

It's a SE published game. Announcing stuff too early is their brand at this point, even when the games are doing alright.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I think they just announced literally when the project was greenlit.

They wanted to announce Bayo 1 and 2 ports, and Kieghly was like, I need more than just port announcements.

And they were like, fine Bayo 3 teaser.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
They should have kept it under wraps like DMC5 till they were ready to show off. DMC5's reveal to release cycle was bloody amazing. What a 9 month ride

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I think they just announced literally when the project was greenlit.

They wanted to announce Bayo 1 and 2 ports, and Kieghly was like, I need more than just port announcements.

And they were like, fine Bayo 3 teaser.
Also it was the Switch's first year.

You always announce long-off projects to keep people interested for a while when you don't necessarily have new games to show.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayo 3 was announced to coincide with the Switch ports of 1 and 2 and to encourage Bayonetta fans to invest in the console. The game was likely very early in development. With Nintendo funding development and providing overall support for the project, I'm not worried in the slightest. I also couldn't care less about the length of time it takes for the game to release, so long as it's great (spoiler: it will be).

Apr 21, 2018
I imagine it'll resurface this year. If we don't see it by e3, I think it's safe to say it's not going too smoothly.

But I can also see it being shown off at the next Direct and released this summer too. We'll see.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
My money is that they are struggling really hard with getting that game to 60 frames given the switch's weak hardware and the fact that the sequels "have to" make graphical improvements.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
I'm fully confident that Bayo 3 will be revealed and possibly released in 2020.......SMTV on the other hand is trapped in another dimension.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Believe in the January direct, it will be flaming Chibi Robo's second anniversary

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Platinum might have bitten off more than they can chew when it comes to projects. Feels like for multiple years their teams have been permanently working full steam on projects. From one game right into the next one

Its most likely fine just taking a bit longer. Also what BeaconofTruth said, maybe they are struggling a bit with performance

Tetriso

Banned
Nov 19, 2019
it's in dev hell right now
game probably will be underwhelming compared to DMC V and Sekiro

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019

In December 2019, they showed a very generic trailer that looked like test footage and then said "more info in six months" without giving a target year.

people already forgetting how NieR Automata was revealed, huh? tsk tsk tsk

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Bayo 3 was announced to coincide with the Switch ports of 1 and 2 and to encourage Bayonetta fans to invest in the console. The game was likely very early in development. With Nintendo funding development and providing overall support for the project, I'm not worried in the slightest. I also couldn't care less about the length of time it takes for the game to release, so long as it's great (spoiler: it will be).
Is there a source to someone confirming this?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Didn't they come out at e3 and basically tell people to calm down and that just because they didn't show the game didn't mean it was in development hell?

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Platinum might have bitten off more than they can chew when it comes to projects. Feels like for multiple years their teams have been permanently working full steam on projects. From one game right into the next one

Yup, this. I can see them doing it to keep the lights on but damn, I don't think it's possible for any entity to maintain that kind of pace (well, outside of Epic).