• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Bayonetta 3 dead?

• Dead like Scalebound!

Votes: 50 13.2%
  • Not dead but in comatose state for now

Votes: 115 30.3%
  • Being saved for next gen consoles

Votes: 20 5.3%
  • Nah Dahbomb you crazy, Bayonetta 3 is going to get re-revealed again VERY soon!

Votes: 194 51.2%

• Total voters

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely disgusting if it takes 2 years to develop a game. These "devs" need to get off their lazy asses!
D_M1cg1XoAEp-gM.jpg

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
You know, about DMC winning, I'm not even one of the people who ask for DLC, I'm satisfied with the vanilla game actually. But it's still kind of odd to get that "DMC is back!" when it's already back on the fridge, pretty much, and they're doing other stuff now.

DMC was briefly back, but that scream doesn't hit as hard anymore.
You are forgetting the DMC mobile game that is getting advertised those days!

DMC is truly back.

And in seriousness, there is also the animated DMC series coming from caslevania producer, DMC really feels back instead of utter silence for years with nothing

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the departure of bayo2 's director kinda revived my hype for the game, but this year vga was the last term i gave myself to still wait for the game

from now i will just consider it defunct hoping to be positively surprised one day

Oct 25, 2017
You are forgetting the DMC mobile game that is getting advertised those days!

DMC is truly back.

And in seriousness, there is also the animated DMC series coming from caslevania producer, DMC really feels back instead of utter silence for years with nothing

You know what, that does count.

If it was everything we got, then it would be an insult, but right now it really is back.

I completely changed my mind on this.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish they didn't announce it so early if it wasn't even close to release. They should do what Capcom did with RE3 and announce games only when they're close to release.

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I think they announced Bayo 3 when it was still in very early development, and they've had a development hiccup somewhere between then and now, and they don't want to re-reveal it until it is pretty far along and not much more than a year off. Basically, it's gonna take a while.
I don't think it's on the chopping block, though. Bayo's in Smash, Nintendo and Platinum have a good relationship, and Bayo is arguably Platinum's flagship franchise. There's too much riding on it, and I think that's part of why it's taking so long.

You know, about DMC winning, I'm not even one of the people who ask for DLC, I'm satisfied with the vanilla game actually. But it's still kind of odd to get that "DMC is back!" when it's already back on the fridge, pretty much, and they're doing other stuff now.

DMC was briefly back, but that scream doesn't hit as hard anymore.

I expect DMC5SE is on the way, with DMC6 probably coming in 3-4 years from a new dev team (some DMC5 members and new director) but overseen by Itsuno. It's not getting put on the backburner again after it became the success Capcom wanted from the series, along with being the best reviewed DMC game since 1, one of the best-reviewed games of the year and winning so many awards, including action GOTY from a fancy pants big dog event like TGA.

Oct 25, 2017
I expect DMC5SE is on the way, with DMC6 probably coming in 3-4 years from a new dev team (some DMC5 members and new director) but overseen by Itsuno. It's not getting put on the backburner again after it became the success Capcom wanted from the series, along with being the best reviewed DMC game since 1, one of the best-reviewed games of the year and winning so many awards, including action GOTY from a fancy pants big dog event like TGA.
I hope you're right! That would be great.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
I chuckled. After all the obvious answer is that it's dead, just like Metroid Prime 4 and the FF7 remake which only came into existence like 6 months ago.

I'm a hardcore gamer. Fuck verticality, I want my slices horizontal
Both of those are having known development problems which is the main point of the thread, both had rebooted development in fact, after cyperconnect 2 leaving the project, Toriyama was working on his own project but had to help working on FF7 instead.

Now , FF7 looks promising when it is all said and done, but you can tell it was intended to be released way sooner and closer to the original announcement, same for Prime 4 which they announced rebooted development themselves with new studio

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Both of those are having known development problems which is the main point of the thread, both had rebooted development in fact, after cyperconnect 2 leaving the project, Toriyama was working on his own project but had to help working on FF7 instead.

Now , FF7 looks promising when it is all said and done, but you can tell it was intended to be released way sooner and closer to the original announcement, same for Prime 4 which they announced rebooted development themselves with new studio

Oh yeah I mean in a more serious way of looking at it I don't see why Bayo 3 would be dead. Maybe it's not as big of a game as Prime 4 but Nintendo has a habit of reworking and delaying games in general (Animal Crossing was supposed to be out by now based on initial projections).

I quite loved the first Bayonetta and didn't get enough into the second one, but I actually think this is probably a good sign for the game because it would be easy enough for Platinum to make more of the same (hell, all their action games share a lot of similarities in their combat structure). The game's fundamentals are strong, but they're also pretty basic, in a way. That's not a negative, but means that a sequel that is more of the same wouldn't have much to offer that replaying the game (which that first game was very much built around doing) doesn't.

Nintendo mostly doesn't kill off announced projects this way; they usually have the development quiet and only announce when something is almost certain to release; most cancelled games by Nintendo themselves are just specific hardware ports that got shifted up, except for maybe the ill-fated VB and 64DD stuff. although ironically the one really notable exception I see is metroid (dread)

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
You can't really look at Platinum's recent history and say that everything is fine.

They got kicked off the Granblue project because they couldn't hit the deadline. They announced Babylon's Fall at last year's E3 for release in 2019, yet we only got a REALLY rough trailer a few days ago, telling us to wait for Summer 2020 to get any kind of new info on the game. And then you have Bayonetta 3 being MIA for over 2 years. Lastly you have well known people leaving the company.

Keep in mind that at the start of the year, Platinum was teasing some big announcements for 2019, which clearly didn't happen to the extent that they wanted to.

Seems like Astral Chain is the only exception here. But other than that, it's obvious that Platinum has been struggling to some degree. So while I don't think Bayonetta 3 is in huge trouble or that it might get canned or anything big like that, I also don't think you can look at how Platinum has been doing recently and say that Bayonetta 3's development is going as intended and the concerns are unfunded.

My assumption is that they prioritized Astral Chain over it. PG is really hit or miss nowadays and you can tell some projects get much more attention than others, AC always looked like a good one and it delivered but for example Babylon's Fall doesn't inspire nearly as much confidence that it will be great.

That said I doubt Bayonetta 3 development has been smooth even considering they put more resources in AC. We still don't even know who is the director and the person we could assume was in charge of it (Yusuke Hashimoto, director of the second) left PG in January.

So yeah, hopefully Bayonetta 3 is where they are focusing now because Babylon's Fall clearly doesn't look like it's it.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Uhh DMC5 didn't win...I think you all misread something.

ELoxBaGXYAI93V7

Deleted member 61002

Banned
Nov 1, 2019
You know what, that does count.

If it was everything we got, then it would be an insult, but right now it really is back.

I completely changed my mind on this.

From 2018 to 2020 DMC has had/will have:

-Dante in MvC:I (2018)
-Devil May Cry 5 (2019)
-Dante in Teppen (2019)
-Devil May Cry 4 CR pachinko (2019)
-Devil May Cry 5 Before the Nightmare novel (2019)
-Devil May Cry 5 V prequel manga (2019)
-Nero in Teppen and a whole DMC 5 event (2019)
-Devil May Cry Pinnacle of Combat mobile (2020)
-New animated series (2020 - 2021?)

And this is after only 9 months of "being back". We'll have to see about a Special Edition and 6, but I do think fans were so thirsty after 11 years that Capcom is having difficulty keeping up.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this deserved a mention here since we were talking about PG and their work on this project. If you notice at the end of the trailer, PG's logo is not there anymore and the footage looks very very different to what they were working on.