• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Wasn't the only iconic moment in the match either

2 of the best calls I've ever heard in pro wrestling. Foley that crazy bastard.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
There's an argument to be made that getting thrown off of the cell wasn't even the toughest bump he took during that match because at least there he had a table to break the fall. The chokeslam through the cage actually knocked him unconscious for a few minutes.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
the best part was mother fucking terry funk running in to help his pal mick

that's until taker got his hands on him and GOOZLED him out of his fucking shoes!

kotr5ufszb.jpg

GOOZLE ME TAKE!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The way the officials congregate as a mass of the statement "holy shit" in humanoid form as Foley crashes through the roof and the speed that they dive into the ring is a heck of a sight.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I just rewatched the whole match. Fuck that was brutal. He also got choked slammed through the top of the cage after being thrown off the top. Wrestling was incredible back in the day.

What people forget is the absolutely horrid double spots were actually in the beginning of the match! They went on to continue wrestling after all of that shit. Foley is truly inhuman when it comes to his pain threshold.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
what people REALLY forget is that about 30 minutes after this match ends, a near death foley does a RUN IN during the main event.

Vince probably sat down with him like "Hey pal.... how you feeling?"

"WELL I THINK I'VE SUFFERED 3 CONCUSSIONS VINCE"

"ahahahahaha that's great! So we're still gonna need you do to the run in during the main event pal, see you out there."

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
So, the thing is, with wrestling people aren't watching it for realism. If they wanted realistic hand to hand combat they would watch MMA or I guess competitive martial arts. These folks are entertainers, and they do so in various ways.

To say it's "so fake" because of the "slow fake punching" is seriously missing what makes this match insane. Mick Foley was thrown almost 2 stories off the cage through a wooden announcers booth, and then slammed about 15 feet through a chainlink section and onto the mat. He was seriously fucked up from this match. The punches may not be real, but to say they aren't putting themselves at severe risk for peoples entertainment is patently false. These guys get hurt all the time, and Mick Foley was a real extreme case of that--he broke like every bone in his body, his autobiography is insane--but even your less extreme personalities are regularly combating injuries. There's also something to be said about how easily something like throwing a "fake punch" can go wrong and turn into something very real. When you're selling an act like this, it's not uncommon to make real contact several times a match.
A co-worker of mine (whose last name is ironically Foley lol) was a wrestler in the local circuits, and he showed me how to do a few moves and we'd sometimes ad-lib a a short fight to break up a boring work day. Shit's is not to be taken lightly.

I never really got wrestling, used to do the whole "it's fake is sucks" shit, and this guy really helped me appreciate it.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
what people REALLY forget is that about 30 minutes after this match ends, a near death foley does a RUN IN during the main event.

"ahahahahaha that's great! So we're still gonna need you do to the run in during the main event pal, see you out there."
The match where Kane sets himself on fire too. Also, Taker/Mankind only had a week or a two build. ONLY 1-2 RAWS BUILT UP THIS MATCH!

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't his kids and wife ringside watching this match? Or am I thinking of something else? I seem to remember watching a documentary about Foley and his family just crying like crazy ringside. It was heartbreaking.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't his kids and wife ringside watching this match? Or am I thinking of something else? I seem to remember watching a documentary about Foley and his family just crying like crazy ringside. It was heartbreaking.
Different match. The match you're thinking of is the I Quit match against The Rock where Rock hit Foley in the head with a chair about 47 times

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Still blows my mind that he went on to finish the match.

My gf had never seen this match until I showed her a couple months ago. Her reactions were amazing. Lol

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
The insane thing was had not been for this, no Hardcore division, no 3 time Foley champ. and Foley would just be another wrestler and not one of the major figureheads of the Attitude Era

How do you figure? He became huge because of Mr Socko and the storylines with him vs The Rock and the McMahons. This was totally unnecessary.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Not a big wrestling fan, but I'll never forget my entire neighborhood huddled around the TV watching this. Would have been incredible to have been in that arena.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
IIRC, Taker was working this match with a broken foot, which hampered some of his mobility.
Yep, when he drops down from the top of the Cell you see him hobble on it. One of the reasons Foley wanted to do a big bump as he knew they couldn't do a great match (and couldnt follow the HBK/Taker HIAC) so wanted to do something else so people didn't notice. Crazy match.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if you can buy this on Blu Ray or Dvd? I'd like to have this permanently. One of my all time favorite matches.
I'm not sure if it's out on any physical media but you can definitely watch it from your home or mobile device on the WWE Network for the affordable price of

giphy.gif

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Screwjob

this is what kicked off the attitude era? what even is wrestling

Montreal Screwjob is an amazing rabbit hole to go down if you want to see the many layers that go into pro wrestling and its participants. Watch Bret Hart's "Wrestling With Shadows" doc as well, it goes behind the scenes the day of Montreal.

I don't believe it but I still love the theory that Montreal was a big work. If true, that'd put the entire thing even further into the realm of craziness.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
How do you figure? He became huge because of Mr Socko and the storylines with him vs The Rock and the McMahons. This was totally unnecessary.
I'm pretty sure Foley is on the record for saying that the reason the spots in this match happened was because he thought his career and momentum were starting to flounder and needed to do something to basically grab everyone's attention, and that it worked.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Montreal Screwjob is an amazing rabbit hole to go down if you want to see the many layers that go into pro wrestling and its participants. Watch Bret Hart's "Wrestling With Shadows" doc as well, it goes behind the scenes the day of Montreal.

I don't believe it but I still love the theory that Montreal was a big work. If true, that'd put the entire thing even further into the realm of craziness.
If you really want to go down a crazy rabbit hole, imagine how much different WWF and WCW would have been if Vince sided with Bret instead of Shawn. In that alternate timeline Bret probably goes on to have a long career and Owen Hart is probably still alive.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If you really want to go down a crazy rabbit hole, imagine how much different WWF and WCW would have been if Vince sided with Bret instead of Shawn. In that alternate timeline Bret probably goes on to have a long career and Owen Hart is probably still alive.

Shawn would have probably jumped to WCW if he didn't get main event push after that, and you kinda wonder how he would have been part of the the nWo and how he would have fit into all of that. Either it could have gone remarkably well for Shawn and WCW, or it could have exaccerbated the problems the company started having in '98 and '99. Shawn also got clean while in WWF, while WCW seemed to have a reputation that was worse than WWF at that point. You kinda wonder whether Shawn would have gone down the Scott Hall path or if he would have cleaned himself up like he did in the end in WWF.

On the flipside, Bret's career doesn't go down the shitter, he never gets the concussion from Goldberg, never has the stroke, retires as the greatest wrestler of all time without the 15+ years of antipathy between him and WWF. But who knows.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Foley is on the record for saying that the reason the spots in this match happened was because he thought his career and momentum were starting to flounder and needed to do something to basically grab everyone's attention, and that it worked.

Ha, he actually says the opposite.

Opens "Have a Nice Day" book.

Mick Foley said:
Many people point to King of the Ring as the match that catapulted my career to the top. Actually, I found this not to be the case. To me the match with the Undertaker is kind of like the famous Willie Mays catch in the World Series over thirty years , in that it has grown in legend. A review of the cell match shows my entrance receiving almost no reaction, and even the chants of "Foley, Foley" in Pittsburgh were depressingly slight. In reality, I found my career to be somewhat sluggish after the famous showdown, with three specific moments sticking out as low points in my career.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
fairly certain this is maybe one of only two or three wrestling ppvs i ever watched live as a kid and seeing this broke my brain

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Mick Foley said:
Two weeks after the cell match, I was given interview time to hype an Undertaker rematch on the Federation's new Sunday Night Heat television show on the USA network. I went out with mike in hand, and in my old ECW fashion tried to make the fans feel what it was like to have my career nearly end. What I got from the crowd was apathy and disrespect. As I poured out my heart, fans were yelling obscenities and filling the ring with garbage. It was the first time that I l felt that the new Federation "attitude" era had passed me by. Cool guys were in-Mick Foley was out. Catchphrases were in-interviews that required an audience to think were out.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
17 year old me thought Mankind had died when I watched it live.

God, that was 20 years ago??

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
For me it's mick sitting up and seeing the tooth in his nose
Fun fact, despite this looking more impressive, Foley said this wasn't the bump that hurt more. It was the botched chokeslam through the cell (which wasn't supposed to break), and even then the thing that hurt most was the chair he was holding landed on his head, leading to the now-infamous shot of Foley's tooth coming out his nose.

IIRC, i think his Greatest Hits and Misses DVD corrects this assumption by saying it was actually a broken piece of table. I could be wrong, though. Haven't seen it in a looooong time.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's actually been addressed. Officials and medical staff did not want Foley going back out but he absolutely insisted on doing so.

Side note: While this may be the most spectacular and infamous thing foley has done the actual thing that is the hardest to watch these days is the 11 count them 11 unprotected chair shots to the head that he took from The Rock during their Royal Rumble match at the 99' Royal Rumble.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
There's an argument to be made that getting thrown off of the cell wasn't even the toughest bump he took during that match because at least there he had a table to break the fall. The chokeslam through the cage actually knocked him unconscious for a few minutes.

Not even an argument. If he'd taken the normal chokeslam bump he'd be dead.