• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing of this event, was that spawned a reddit copypasta where a user (shittymorph) will go to serious threads in other boards that were not related to wrestling, and then give a serious answer that will suddenly morph in a copypasta so may no one ever forget that in nineteen ninety eight the undertaker threw mankind off hell in a cell, and plummeted sixteen feet through the announcer's table.l. I always found him from time to time in threads where I was not expecting wrestling references.

He got so famous that to celebrate the 20th anniversary of this match, the WWE PR team sent him this cool package that included a framed picture of the match, a wwf magazine promoting the event 1 year suscription for the WWE Network and a gift card so he could buy food for his dog

K6yAWjRf9wEuO7wVINl89yFMJZDuSWO0pEoO7leDyZc.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/8ukg01/the_wwe_sent_me_a_package_to_mark_the_20th/

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he also chokeslam him on thumbtacks (which are prolly rubber I guess) after that? And also through the top of the cage?

It's been a long time. That was the only period of WWF that interested me

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
18 years later it led to one of the worst rehearsed calls ever, "for the love of MANKIND™!". Thanks Cole.

Didn't he also chokeslam him on thumbtacks after that? And also through the top of the cage?
After he fell through the Cell and a chair fell after him and landed on his face (deducting several teeth). Right after the match he couldn't recall if they'd remembered to use the tacks, even though his arm was still full of them.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Beyond the Mat shows this behind the scenes and they had a camera on Mick's family in the crowd. Then they showed him the video of his kids crying.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I've seen this a million times and still finding new things, for example at 1:20, the fencing that they almost fall through isn't even over the ring. They would've fallen an extra few feet right onto the floor.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, never watched wrestling or was aware of this. Was the guy seriously injured? That clip...

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't he also chokeslam him on thumbtacks (which are prolly rubber I guess) after that? And also through the top of the cage?

It's been a long time. That was the only period of WWF that interested me

They're not rubber lol. Real deal. Foley was a crazy SOB.

I loved mankind ever since his debut, his match with shawn michaels at an in your house was unlike anything I'd seen at that point. This was something else though, as a kid i legit thought he was dead or seriously, seriously injured. Then of course i went back and watched his japan stuff and that was even more fucked up.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Mick Foley was a crazy motherfucker but god damn did he put on some great wresting matches. The guy is so busted up now its nuts how he's still walking.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Foley is god. He probably shouldn't have listened to Terry Funk when he suggested to start the match at the top of the cage. He should also should have told someone about getting thrown off so they could have gimmicked the table and put some cushion inside it. The accidental fall during the choke slam could have killed him. It should have been safer for him. And they sure as hell shouldn't have sent him back to do a run-in during the Kane/Stone Cold match. The fact that he's still alive today means Foley is god.

scarybore

Oct 27, 2017
Side note: While this may be the most spectacular and infamous thing foley has done the actual thing that is the hardest to watch these days is the 11 count them 11 unprotected chair shots to the head that he took from The Rock during their Royal Rumble match at the 99' Royal Rumble.

I watched the first few years of the attitude era last year as I missed it first time around, and while some of it was straight up shocking or disgusting (DX in blackface for instance), seeing Foley take those chair shots and continuing on while clearly out of it was disturbing as fuck.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a random reddit thing. I had no idea it was an actual WWE match.

Dec 29, 2017
the best part was mother fucking terry funk running in to help his pal mick

that's until taker got his hands on him and GOOZLED him out of his fucking shoes!

kotr5ufszb.jpg

GOOZLE ME TAKE!

A little known fact: Terry Funk's interference in the match was not planned. Funk and Foley were actually in a story feud at the time. Funk only interfered to let Foley regain consciousness. JR even points that out in the match.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no difference between people who watch wrasslin and people who watch the Kardashians. Change my mind.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Mad thing was this wasn't the last big hit he took that night.

Fucking mental match.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching it live with my mom back in the day (she was a big wrestling fanbm during that era). She cried, because she honestly thought he was dead. It's exciting to watch now, especially knowing that there was no serious damage, but in the live moment that shit was terrifying.

There is no difference between people who watch wrasslin and people who watch the Kardashians. Change my mind.

No one gives a shit what you think

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Here's a much better clip of the entire match:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x50cdbp

Just rewatched it. Used to be HUGE into WWF back in the Attitude era, but don't really care much anymore. Far and away this is the most memorable moment of that era for me.

EDIT.

Since it's been brought up, here's his I Quit match with The Rock. The chairshots begin around 27:30 in

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x52a5b9

And to end on a positive note, Mankind winning the WWF title for the first time:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28aoao

Last edited:

Dental Plan

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Watched this match on my lunch break today at work. I was 13 years old when this match took place. I'll never forget going to my friends house and watch it with his brother and another friend of ours. When Mankind got thrown off the cell, my goodness. Grade A match.

Plus Terry Funk got chokeslammed out of his shoes.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A legendary moment in athletic history. Mick Foley is the pinnacle of just how far these wrestlers will go to entertain the crowd.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first few years of the attitude era last year as I missed it first time around, and while some of it was straight up shocking or disgusting (DX in blackface for instance), seeing Foley take those chair shots and continuing on while clearly out of it was disturbing as fuck.

He went into detail about the whole thing on Austin's podcast.

Not from that spot but he fucked his body up, he can barely walk today

He is scarred and beat up for sure and in no condition to take a bump these days but he is actually doing a lot better than he was. He is one of the guys that got really into the DDP Yoga thing. Which has apparently helped him with his hip and back problems quite a lot. He has also slimmed down in recent years which helps too.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He went into detail about the whole thing on Austin's podcast.

He is scarred and beat up for sure and in no condition to take a bump these days but he is actually doing a lot better than he was. He is one of the guys that got really into the DDP Yoga thing. Which has apparently helped him with his hip and back problems quite a lot. He has also slimmed down in recent years which helps too.

I mean not really his hips fucked , like he walks in pain all the time. Ddp doesn't heal stuff like that.

Oct 28, 2017
California
I just... I can't figure out what's enjoyable about this.

It's not about all the actual wrestling/brawling/beating-the-shit-out of-each-other, it's not about all the high spots or acrobatic moves.

It's about the story telling, the raw emotion, the theatricality that's behind those matches that allows the audience to have a cathartic release.

Wrestling is an art form, our modern-day Greek theater. Well, at least it was at one point.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I give a shit what he thinks, and I agree with him, and I think less of you as a person for your attempt to bully him out of a conversation.

Calling out obvious troll bait =/= bullying.

If he wanted to have an actual conversation, then he should have attempted that. And, as his post above shows, he knew very well what he was doing. But you can die on troll hill all you want.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to watch WWE at one point too and I have nothing against people who continue to do so. But like the one poster said, love me some trashy entertainment. I have much more respect for fans who can say "yea its stupid but it's like some guilty pleasure fun" instead of going to great lengths to justify this as some high entertainment.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I give a shit what he thinks, and I agree with him, and I think less of you as a person for your sad attempt to bully him out of a conversation.
I find it amazing its 2018 and you have no idea or anything fathomable as to what the fuck wrestling even is or is attempting to be. Im actually amazed people are still saying this about it. Its a known quantity for 50 years at this point, google it or look up a fucking educational video for once god damn. Sometimes its easy to stop being ignorant.

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it amazing its 2018 and you have no idea or anything fathomable as to what the fuck wrestling even is or is attempting to be. Im actually amazed people are still saying this about it. Its a known quantity for 50 years at this point, google it or look up a fucking educational video for once god damn. Sometimes its easy to stop being ignorant.

Actually, I used to watch a ton of WWF in elementary school whenever I'd sleep over at my friend Lewis' house.
That doesn't change the fact that the entire "sport" is unfathomably dumb and opaque to me, but it does defuse your attempt to try to paint me as some kind of cultural ignoramus for not being fully vested in your niche hobby.

Honestly, professional wrestling has got to be the absolute most pathetic thing I've ever seen someone try to pull "It's [current year]!" over.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to watch WWE at one point too and I have nothing against people who continue to do so. But like the one poster said, love me some trashy entertainment. I have much more respect for fans who can say "yea its stupid but it's like some guilty pleasure fun" instead of going to great lengths to justify this as some high entertainment.

You started this shit in the most inflammatory way, and you know it.

Anyway, kudos on at least attempting to bring something beyond troll bait. I think it depends on how much emphasis you put on atheltic ability. The storylines are pretty lowbrow, and have always been, but the actual art of the sport has always been in the in-ring performance

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I remember watching the VHS of this at the age of 13 and being in awe of the entire spectacle, this match and Stone Cold got me back into wrestling after not watching since the early 90's.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I used to watch a ton of WWF in elementary school whenever I'd sleep over at my friend Lewis' house.
That doesn't change the fact that the entire "sport" is unfathomably dumb and opaque to me, but it does defuse your attempt to try to paint me as some kind of cultural ignoramus for not being fully vested in your niche hobby.
I mean everything is dumb when you think about it. Have you ever watched football before ,it's the stupidest thing in the world.