• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 31, 2017
So this is actually a Margot Robbie movie and there was homework needed to understand the movie? I thought that was the movies job...why's Rick in it at all then if this is actually about Charles Mansons cult even though he wasn't in the movie and the hippies were just normal hippies up until the end?

So you're telling me the hippies aren't just regular hippies, their apart of a cult, run by Charles Manson, and they went to Ricks neighborhood looking for Margot. Instead of actually doing anything, they sit outside his house in their loud ass car long enough to get shoo'd away by Leonardo, and then they turn their sights on him. This is not doing the film any favours at all right now. The ENTIRE film is about what happened IRL to Sharon Tate?? But if you take Tate's family out of the movie and replaced them with ANY other celebrity, nothing changes. You can just say the Hippies were waiting for Rick and Cliff to get back so they can get their revenge. The crux of the film is dependent on knowing these people and what happened to them IRL but then changing them doesn't actually hurt the movie...
Perhaps in future you should do some research about what a film is about before buying a ticket. It's what most people do.

also you completely missed the point of the entire movie. Your personal ignorance does not make it a bad film.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So this is actually a Margot Robbie movie and there was homework needed to understand the movie? I thought that was the movies job...why's Rick in it at all then if this is actually about Charles Mansons cult even though he wasn't in the movie and the hippies were just normal hippies up until the end?

So you're telling me the hippies aren't just regular hippies, their apart of a cult, run by Charles Manson, and they went to Ricks neighborhood looking for Margot. Instead of actually doing anything, they sit outside his house in their loud ass car long enough to get shoo'd away by Leonardo, and then they turn their sights on him. This is not doing the film any favours at all right now. The ENTIRE film is about what happened IRL to Sharon Tate?? But if you take Tate's family out of the movie and replaced them with ANY other celebrity, nothing changes. You can just say the Hippies were waiting for Rick and Cliff to get back so they can get their revenge. The crux of the film is dependent on knowing these people and what happened to them IRL but then changing them doesn't actually hurt the movie...

I went into the film 100% blind, never watched a trailer and I sorta remember reading the charles manson cult thing now back before the movie came out but I didn't even remember that till the end of this post. I think QT should've let someone else direct with himself being a writer.
Yeah some historical knowledge is needed to properly grasp this film. It was communicated a lot beforehand so I read up on it before going to the cinema and it greatly helped me to get QT's message. Tate's murder was a major loss of innocence for Hollywood which is a major theme of the film. It wasn't just a random celebrity murder.

Also Charles Manson is actually in the film in a short scene where he arrives at Tate's home and tells Seybring he is looking for someone. This happened in reality where it is said Charles either was looking for the prior house owner to settle a score or he was already staking out the premise for the later murder.

Scenes like this and Cliff at Spahn ranch where the cult famously lived with the old blind owner letting them in exchange for sex with Charles' wifes are extra uncomfortable and tension inducing if you know the historical parallel. The film constantly has little scenes like this. One of the very first scenes you see a few of the wifes dump through trash while Cliff drives by and the camera lingers on them for a bit. You don't really know who they are or their importance unless you know what you are in for.

Now I can understand docking a movie for not explaining its context, but it made for an amazing experience in cinema as the dread was real and building till the end

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Bought on iTunes last night. Didn't know it was out. My wife was in the hospital on release so I missed it.

Was a ton of fun. Ending was hysterical.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW I would just like to lodge a late complaint that the title of this thread spoiled the movie slightly for me.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
I need to sleep on this but at the moment I'd say that this is after Death Proof my least favorite QT movie.

I was engrossed the first 40 minutes but then the movie/tv-in-movie and shooting scenes started and went on forever, which was a low point for me. I guess the struggling actor part of the movie didn't resonate at all with me. I wish the on-set scenes were replaced with more Rick-Cliff scenes and possibly more Tate scenes, maybe even with them. I think there was a lot of potential here.

Mar 27, 2019
I grabbed this on digital and watched for the first time. I found it very enjoyable but not even close to any of my favorite Tarantino flicks. Might need to watch it again but it didn't have any scenes that really stuck with me. The Bruce lee scene was good for chuckle but that was about it.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
BORING! So boring. Long car rides and mundane conversations are staples of QT movies, except here they make up the ENTIRE movie. -_-

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the dead thread bump, but I saw this on Saturday at the theatre that Tarantino owns in Santa Monica. It's pretty wild to watch scenes that were filmed in the same theatre you are in. If anyone is, or will be in LA, you should check it out. They show all sorts of films besides his too.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Finally saw this and liked all of it, but didn't love it?
It'll probably grow on me over-time.

Reading the first few pages of this thread my mind is blown that people didn't know who Charlie Manson or Sharon Tate were?

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed my time with the film, but it dragged for way too long. The pacing was terrible, imo. I love long films but I dunno, Tarantino's haven't been the same since Sally Menke died and now that guy from the Fast and Furious films is cutting his films. The Irishman is an hour longer and it felt short with it top notch pace. Pitt and Dicaprio are great, while Robbie is, uhm, there.

Sep 12, 2018
I don't understand the pacing complaint at all. Slow =/= bad especially for a slice of life movie all about basking in the detail of a specific time and place.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The GF and I had a baby like a week before this hit theaters so I missed it, but juuuuust finally saw it on Bluray and absolutely loved it. The movie feels like an onion, when you peel back a layer, a reference, a critique, an homage, you name it, there are seemingly countless others in the subtext. What an absolutely incredibly acted, directed and shot film. I dont know yet where it sits in QT's filmography for me, I'll need repeat viewings and time to figure that out. But its defintely high on the list.

Literally the only criticism I'd level against the movie is that it seemed to lack QT's trademark punchy and memorable dialogue. Having said that, the movie seems content to soak in the feel of 1969, and that's a trade off I can live with.

Definitely my favorite film of 2019.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Watched it a third time with my family and this film gets better with age.
My family had a great time watching this last week. Movie has so much energy and it's super interesting watching my parents' reaction to how shit unfolds. They know all about the Manson murders and they were practically cheering at the ending.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really loved this movie, my favorite Tarantino and my favorite movie so far this year. Just a really enjoyable ride with great characters.

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
Finally got around to seeing this one

Loved it. Loved it so fucking much. The three main characters are all great, the movie is beautifully shot, and its probably my favorite representation of the 1960s on film yet.

I cannot gush enough about the ending. The violence was hilarious and so cathartic seeing those shitty people get what they deserve. Sharon Tate got the ending she should have gotten in real life. I had an overwhelming sense of dread anytime she appeared on screen but sparing her was so beautiful.

Gold Derby has the movie as the current Odds favorite to win Best Picture and I will not object if it wins.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Movie is even better on rewatch. You can just settle in and enjoy.

I kept thinking there must have been a chunk of the movie I had forgotten about to account for the time. But nope, every scene was memorable and it flew by.

Probably Leo's best performance ever. Pitt is fantastic and his Oscar will be well deserved.

If you think you should've liked this movie more than you did I highly recommend giving it another shot. And if you loved it the first time around you'll appreciate it even more the next time you see it.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AMAZING MOVIE. Did everyone laugh their ass off when the flamethrower appeared at the end?

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I got around to seeing this movie on a flight. I'm usually a huge fan of Tarantino films,and was excited to see it when i first saw the trailer, but
i ended up not liking it. It was just boring.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I cannot gush enough about the ending. The violence was hilarious and so cathartic seeing those shitty people get what they deserve. Sharon Tate got the ending she should have gotten in real life. I had an overwhelming sense of dread anytime she appeared on screen but sparing her was so beautiful.

Yeah it was a perfect ending.

As soon as it got into the time of day shit, and the events preceding her murder, the tension just started cranking up for me. I knew it had a different ending, but I didn't know Tarantino was going to let her live. The title immediatly made sense, and then the late title card just gave me chills.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of neat little details to notice when re-viewing this movie...like when Rick is floating in his pool practicing his lines with the tape recorder, the sound of the tape recorder fades out as the camera cranes over from Rick's house to the Polanski's as they depart for the Playboy mansion. The point where the tape recorder voice fades out is right where Rick forgets his lines for the second time and has his meltdown the next day.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I got around to seeing this movie on a flight. I'm usually a huge fan of Tarantino films,and was excited to see it when i first saw the trailer, but
i ended up not liking it. It was just boring.

If you don't care about the 60s, Sharon Tate, Roman Polanski, Steve McQueen and the gruesome Manson murders then there isn't much to be thrilled about here.

It's a very well made film with great acting but more than once I started glancing at my phone during the movie. You could cut a lot of the scenes without really changing the movie much. Considering how important Sharon Tate was supposed to be in this movie it's a bit weird she's barely in the final cut and some of her scenes felt so pointless to me.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Really lttp on this one but man what a fucking terrible movie. Why did Pitt win an award for this of all movies he's been in? Awful pacing with a bunch of nothingness going on. Good lord Hollywood truly is obsessed with themselves if this is considered best picture material.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Hated this film so much lol. What a self-indulgent, pointless snoozefest of a movie.

So glad Parasite swept at the Oscars instead of this.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
The ending was fucking wild, not just the raid/confrontation but the whole of it. There's all the pieces in place for a downer ending between all three principal characters....and then wham a fairy tale ending. The more I think about it the more impressed I am.

Took me like halfway through the movie to be like "is that fucking Mama from Death Stranding?"

But I do think a big part of the movie relies on the viewer being familiar with the real life events. Pretty much all of Margot Robbie's screen time is dedicated to making Sharon Tate vibrant, likable, and carefree...which feels like it's building up to a climactic (real life) gut punch murder.

edit: because originally I wrote way too damn much.

double edit: I'm grateful that weirdo movies like this get to exist

Last edited:

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Really kind of amazed at how many people actively hate this movie. To me I think its one of the most resonant and personal films to QT, and a wholy unique one at that. It is a movie thin on plot is the only thing I can look to, for a lot of people's issues

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
Really kind of amazed at how many people actively hate this movie. To me I think its one of the most resonant and personal films to QT, and a wholy unique one at that. It is a movie thin on plot is the only thing I can look to, for a lot of people's issues

I can see some people having beef with the fact that it's not really an entirely self-contained story. You have to know how the real-world events went down for the movie to work.

I feel stupid in retrospect but I legitimately thought the movie was going to end with a falling-out between Rick and Cliff, and with the real-life murders occurring in tandem...sort of to mirror the same way we saw Rick freak out about the idea that his career is ending and Sharon walking on clouds as she realizes her career is taking off. Especially since at first it feels like it's building up to an "end of an era" theme.

Without any irony whatsoever, I can say that my expectations were subverted.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
I can see that if you didn't know the details of what happened you'd miss almost all of the tension. The way Tarantino treats the family as buffoons is going to undercut a couple of really big scenes. I loved it because it went so out of its way to show not tell, but it's easy to understand people who are dropped into it unprepared not enjoying it. Lots of people will consciously not look up real world events to avoid spoilers, which would be a mistake.

He's also made the film much more about the visuals and physical performances than the dialogue that people expect from his films. No one has a great speech or a big verbal exchange. Manson would have been the obvious choice to give a big, meaty chunk of dialogue to and he goes out of his way not to give him a voice.

I think a lot of people won't have any point of reference to new versus old Hollywood either, to most people under 40 it's all going to be old unless they're a real film and TV buff.

Jul 18, 2018
I can't make up my mind whether I like this movie or not. It's got an amazing soundtrack, several excellent scenes, and it's got a really great vibe to it that never lets up, it just leaves you drenched in atmosphere.

On the other hand, I gotta agree that it feels... hollow? Like it's missing the meat, or the core, or what have you. I don't know. I like it for its atmosphere and aesthetic, and that's usually the most important thing for me, so I guess I like it on the overall.
Nostalgia. That's pretty much what the movie sells on.
There really isn't anything else to this movie, it's basically its own universe of what-if the murders could be stopped.

But the film relies heavily on nostalgia and that's it. The movie is very hollow. And pff people saying you need to know the full story of everything will add more to the story (don't really need to). As long as you know about Manson and Tate, that's basically it. Everything else is just celebs and hollywood. You also don't need to know about Tate to understand her characterization in the movie, which was done fine to get the message that she was likable and a upcoming star.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia. That's pretty much what the movie sells on.
There really isn't anything else to this movie, it's basically its own universe of what-if the murders could be stopped.
Whittling the movie down to simply "nostalgia" is incorrect. That's the aesthetic portion of the movie, which is done to spectacular detail. Which should be complemented by the way, not used against it.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I was a fan at all.

The final confrontation was over the top gruesome and downright masturbatory. It was not the payoff I was looking for at all, and never once did it feel deserved. This was the movie equivalent to David Carradine's final moments.

Inglorious Basterds is my favorite movie of all time, but Tarantino just seems to be going down a path I'm really not enjoying at this point.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

The final confrontation was over the top gruesome and downright masturbatory. It was not the payoff I was looking for at all, and never once did it feel deserved. This was the movie equivalent to David Carradine's final moments.

Inglorious Basterds is my favorite movie of all time, but Tarantino just seems to be going down a path I'm really not enjoying at this point.

I enjoyed this movie without reservations until the final confrontation. Big step down.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017

I love that you say it was over the top gruesome and downright masturbatory and then throw in that Inglorious Basterds is your favorite film when the climax of that movie also features a over the top gruesome and masturbatory execution of Hitler getting his face slowly blown to bits, not to mention the carving at the end. Once Upon is the same scenario, cinematic comeuppance for vile historic figures through the hyper violent lens of Tarantino.

Masturbatory is more of how I would describe Basterds personally, the movie basically ends with Tarantino looking into the camera and saying "this is my masterpiece"