• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Ori and the Blind Forest is one of my favorite games of all time. I was just wearing my Ori shirt yesterday. With just one month left till the release of the sequel - nearly 3 years since it was announced - I am beyond hyped. I've been on media blackout for it this whole time so I really don't know what to expect with the exception of a couple small snippets of things I've seen here and there, but if it is anything like the first game I will be overjoyed with it.

We recently played the Definitive Edition for the first time. The new areas were great and if they are any indication of the plans for the sequel, I'm definitely intrigued to see what new types of level design Moon Studios comes up with (thinking of the pitch black area in the new content for example).

I think beyond the oft-mentioned Ginso Tree my favorite areas of the original game are the two other escape sequences. I love the focus on fast-paced vertical platforming in these sections. It's too rare in 2D platformers. And then I also greatly enjoyed the upside-down sideways nature of the Forlorn Ruins section of the game.

Anyone else on media blackout?

Feel free to share your memories of the first game.

ImpoliteLimitedElver-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_nr86m2R4gg1qcxzu2o1_500.gif

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Remember if it wasnt for the delay we would have been playing starting today. :(

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
I am so damn pumped - and also on a media blackout too. Adored the first game so much (it's definitely in my Top 10) and can't wait to FEEL THE FEELS when the sequel drops. The music alone is just top notch.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I had the same thought today when i noticed it was the 11th. I thought to myself, just 1 more month, and a short one at that.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Cannot wait for this game.Going to be my Game of the Year most probably...

Thank you Game Pass for not worrying about purchasing it and just playing it DAY ONE!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just bought Ori and the Blind Forrest for $5 dollars today on sale and plan on replaying it again to get me in gear for Will of the Wisps.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Still on a media blackout with this game so I skipped the OP (sorry!) but I just wanna say I can't wait to get my hands on this. It's the only game on steam where I actually bothered to get all the achievements for.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
After FINALLY playing through Ori a couple weeks ago...

I can't fucking wait.

One of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

angel_deamon

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Ori and the Blind Forest is perhaps one of the best games of this generation.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Still on a media blackout with this game so I skipped the OP (sorry!) but I just wanna say I can't wait to get my hands on this. It's the only game on steam where I actually bothered to get all the achievements for.
You'll be glad you to know the OP is about being on a media blackout :)

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
It's pre-pre-loaded already. Can't wait, I saw the announcement teaser last year I think, but other than that I haven't seen anything.

Come on March 11th!!

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I think beyond the oft-mentioned Ginso Tree my favorite areas of the original game are the two other escape sequences. I love the focus on fast-paced vertical platforming in these sections. It's too rare in 2D platformers. And then I also greatly enjoyed the upside-down sideways nature of the Forlorn Ruins section of the game.
A friend of mine insisted on me playing Ori but I didn't feel like I would enjoy it. He kept on pestering me about the game and eventually gifted me the Definitive Edition through Steam.

I immediatly enjoyed it: it was beautiful, controls were precise, gameplay was great. And then I reached the Ginso Tree. It was such brilliant platforming and level design that I finished the game in two sittings, and immediatly started it a second time.

I also agree about Forlorn Ruins, I loved this place and the reverse gravity.

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
don't have an xbox or pc right now to play :(
played the original when it first came out and it became one of my top 10 ever immediately and i am ready to check out definitive edition on switch.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
A friend of mine insisted on me playing Ori but I didn't feel like I would enjoy it. He kept on pestering me about the game and eventually gifted me the Definitive Edition through Steam.

I immediatly enjoyed it: it was beautiful, controls were precise, gameplay was great. And then I reached the Ginso Tree. It was such brilliant platforming and level design that I finished the game in two sittings, and immediatly started it a second time.

I also agree about Forlorn Ruins, I loved this place and the reverse gravity.

I'm glad you played the DE as your first experience with the game. My only tiny frustration with the original was not getting to revisit some of the previous areas, like the Forlorn Ruins. So pleased they fixed that in the DE. Made 100%ing the map much more doable. And I still marvel at the achievements that people could actually one life the entire game. I died a zillion times even on a replay.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Man... I wish this game was coming to game pass. Oh wait! It is! Lol. Seriously though, I need to try ORI: BF. I played it for a while but it was super hard and I quit

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll probably end up being one of my GOTY's.

I absolutely can't wait, replaying the first on the Switch just made me more excited.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you played the DE as your first experience with the game. My only tiny frustration with the original was not getting to revisit some of the previous areas, like the Forlorn Ruins. So pleased they fixed that in the DE. Made 100%ing the map much more doable. And I still marvel at the achievements that people could actually one life the entire game. I died a zillion times even on a replay.
I actually played the original version later on and was a bit surprised that you couldn't go back to Forlorn Ruins (and a tiny part of the Ginso Tree) to 100% the map. So yes, in retrospect, I'm quite happy to have played the DE first.

And I died a lot as well on my second playthrough, even mere hours after beating the game for the first time.

Like you I'm on a media blackout for Will of the Wisp, and I really can't wait to discover all the new places and gameplay ideas the people at Moon have come up with.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
For some reason I've never tried the first one. I really should, seeing as its on Gamepass

it's a metroid-like, correct? What makes it so special?

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I even bothered to leave a negative review for the first one, means it was pretty bad.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Buckle up, folks, we went all out on this one. I can't wait to see all the streams and I hope we're gonna make all of you very happy with Ori and the Will of the Wisps. When we shipped Blind Forest, Moon Studios was still a fairly scrappy studio and the game was made by only 10-15 people. For Will of the Wisps, we had 3-4 times the amount of people working on it and some of the best talent in the industry joined in this time around too.

The proof is in the pudding, we'll have to wait for press and gamers to throw in their final verdict, but I'm pretty confident in what we built, especially given our recent playtests. It took us another 4+ years to build this game, it was damn hard, but I hope you'll all agree that all the labor was well worth it. I said very early on that our goal has always been for Will of the Wisps to become to Blind Forest what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to Super Mario Bros. 1 - We kept the core of Blind Forest alive, but tried to ship a much fuller experience this time around. I hope people will agree that it's a sequel similar to the ones Nintendo shipped in the past, Zelda 1 going to Zelda 3, etc. - Same core gameplay, but massively improved all around.

Now, I fully realize that this coming from the Creative Director of the game, it should all be taken with a grain of salt, but I think I've shown many times that I'm a no-bullshitter. I'm super excited while also a bit nervous... But I think we did well and I can't wait to see you all laugh and cry again :)

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Buckle up, folks, we went all out on this one. I can't wait to see all the streams and I hope we're gonna make all of you very happy with Ori and the Will of the Wisps. When we shipped Blind Forest, Moon Studios was still a fairly scrappy studio and the game was made by only 10-15 people. For Will of the Wisps, we had 3-4 times the amount of people working on it and some of the best talent in the industry joined in this time around too.

The proof is in the pudding, we'll have to wait for press and gamers to throw in their final verdict, but I'm pretty confident in what we built, especially given our recent playtests. It took us another 4+ years to build this game, it was damn hard, but I hope you'll all agree that all the labor was well worth it. I said very early on that our goal has always been for Will of the Wisps to become to Blind Forest what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to Super Mario Bros. 1 - We kept the core of Blind Forest alive, but tried to ship a much fuller experience this time around. I hope people will agree that it's a sequel similar to the ones Nintendo shipped in the past, Zelda 1 going to Zelda 3, etc. - Same core gameplay, but massively improved all around.

Now, I fully realize that this coming from the Creative Director of the game, it should all be taken with a grain of salt, but I think I've shown many times that I'm a no-bullshitter. I'm super excited while also a bit nervous... But I think we did well and I can't wait to see you all laugh and cry again :)

Thank you for all of your efforts.

I can't wait!

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've been meaning to play the first game using Game Pass on PC...too many good reviews to ignore...normally I'm not a fan of platforming type of games but the game has great visuals and all those reviews can't be wrong

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liked the first one but felt I have my fill. I got a gamepass so ill have it for free but is it day 1 on Switch too?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just makes the anticipation for this game even greater. I'm confident this game will be great and can't wait to see what Moon Studios next project (ARPG?) is.