• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started my replay of Ori and the Blind Forest DE the other day. The game remains amazing imo. Beyond excited for the new game's release. Picking up the physical version as well as having it available through gamepass. Congrats to the team.
Started my replay the other day as well and I agree how the game remains amazing as the first time I played it. Can't wait to finish with 100% completion rate and be ready for Will of the Wisps.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Was kinda not expecting previews. Dont think the game needs it. And they also wanted to keep the game abit under wraps and people to experience it fully with review copies.

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Buckle up, folks, we went all out on this one. I can't wait to see all the streams and I hope we're gonna make all of you very happy with Ori and the Will of the Wisps. When we shipped Blind Forest, Moon Studios was still a fairly scrappy studio and the game was made by only 10-15 people. For Will of the Wisps, we had 3-4 times the amount of people working on it and some of the best talent in the industry joined in this time around too.

The proof is in the pudding, we'll have to wait for press and gamers to throw in their final verdict, but I'm pretty confident in what we built, especially given our recent playtests. It took us another 4+ years to build this game, it was damn hard, but I hope you'll all agree that all the labor was well worth it. I said very early on that our goal has always been for Will of the Wisps to become to Blind Forest what Super Mario Bros. 3 was to Super Mario Bros. 1 - We kept the core of Blind Forest alive, but tried to ship a much fuller experience this time around. I hope people will agree that it's a sequel similar to the ones Nintendo shipped in the past, Zelda 1 going to Zelda 3, etc. - Same core gameplay, but massively improved all around.

Now, I fully realize that this coming from the Creative Director of the game, it should all be taken with a grain of salt, but I think I've shown many times that I'm a no-bullshitter. I'm super excited while also a bit nervous... But I think we did well and I can't wait to see you all laugh and cry again :)
Aaaaaa!!! I'm so excited to play! Seriously might pick up an Xbox One Digital just to play it ASAP!

edit:
After the first bit of gameplay the game completely opens up and you can decide where to go and complete areas in whatever order you desire. So we'll definitely see very different walkthroughs depending on which things the players chose to do first. The non-linearity also extends to abilities, weapons and spells :)
Into my VEINS

Last edited:

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I pre-ordered the game just now so i"m all set for the release :)

I've been avoiding most media and will keep doing this until release. No point in spoiling parts of the game so shortly before release.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Blind Forest is on my top 5 for the best games ever, if Will of the Wisps is better then oh boy! And it arrives on my birthday, yay!

I know it might change but at this point when next gen titles isn't known yet it's easily my most wanted upcoming game for the year. And I want something new to to dive into with my kids beside me, WotW should be perfect, they saw me 100-percenting Blind Forest and loved every second of it.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I am very pumped for it and think the first one is the best Xbox One exclusive. It is super fair to have this release day and date at retail for only 30€, so even though I won't be able to play it for a few months because of developing work, I will be there day one to support this game. It played super nicely at gamescom two years back already, cannot wait!

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Blind Forest was the first game I played on my new PC on my (at the time) expensive 4K monitor. The visuals and general art style will always hold a special place in my heart for that reason, it knocked my socks off like few other games have from the past decade. RDR2 is close but that game's piss poor HDR implementation held it back from true OLED glory.

Cannot wait for this followup, congrats on Mahler and the rest of the team for what will no doubt be an awesome experience.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
After the first bit of gameplay the game completely opens up and you can decide where to go and complete areas in whatever order you desire. So we'll definitely see very different walkthroughs depending on which things the players chose to do first. The non-linearity also extends to abilities, weapons and spells :)

Amazing, this is my shit.

MovieFlask

Nov 1, 2019
Maryland
Just finished The Blind Forest. Started when it came out on XBox One and for some reason I bounced off of it sometime after the Ginzo Tree. Started the Definitive Version and loved every minute of it. I love how the end basically forces you to use almost every ability you've used. I love how there are fun abilities locked behind getting more Spirit. I love how none of the characters speak, but all 4 come off with a unique personality and motivations. The ghostly flashbacks were so well done too. Ended up 100%ing the game. Loved it and so looking forward to Will of the Wisps!

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
Just finished re-playing this on my Switch while sick, and cannot wait for the new one. The one bit that bothered me on replay was how the combat soured as it scaled towards the end game -- just wasn't really that fun to try and take down some of the tank-ier enemies.

MovieFlask

Nov 1, 2019
Maryland
Just finished re-playing this on my Switch while sick, and cannot wait for the new one. The one bit that bothered me on replay was how the combat soured as it scaled towards the end game -- just wasn't really that fun to try and take down some of the tank-ier enemies.

Hope you feel better, Patrick! I found that I had to change my approach for each enemy-type. The jelly things (ceiling/floor) you just bang on the attack button, but the things that lob something fast your way and seem frustrating, you just fire their projectile back. The armored runners you have to do the slam, but that does take a little timing. The monkey's you just let jump back and forth over your head.

I found the most frustrating was the timing sometimes for the enemies that fire out projectiles you need to jump from one-to-another. Sometimes it seems inconsistent and I'd fall into lava/spikes and die. Not too bad, but sometimes it seem like they'd fire at different rates. Oh, and also going wide berths and forgetting to save...

I can't even imagine getting the one-life achievement in this game.

Edit - Re-read your message about how further areas the enemies do scale by upping their HP and damage. I didn't mind that too much, but that's because I was going back to beginning areas to get secrets I was slaughtering things. I can say that for the main ceiling/floor blobs, it was a lot of mashing the button.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Hope you feel better soon - At least you had a good reason not to come to the preview event then :D

Can't wait to see how you'll feel about Will of the Wisps! :)

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
any word on performance across platforms yet? deciding between a One S and One X and want to know if it's 60 fps across the board.

xlestattx

Oct 30, 2017
How far ahead of launch will press have access? I have a feeling no one is going to do the game justice if they only log 5 or 10 hours with it like a lot of reviewers do.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
When/if there's some sort of top 10/20/whatever games of the decade thread on this site. the first Ori will almost definitely be on the list for me. I'm normally not one to be be excited for something that hasn't been released yet, but I sort of can't help it with this one. I really hope it can live up to the expectations I have in my head.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
March is stacked as hell, three absolutely top-tier games coming out in Ori, Doom and Half-Life.

Dyna

Nov 1, 2017
Finland
Anyone know if the collector's edition is still available in any online stores in Europe? I've found none that ship to Finland so far and I desperately want it. :(

MikeSan

Oct 27, 2017
Liège, Belgium
Anyone know if the collector's edition is still available in any online stores in Europe? I've found none that ship to Finland so far and I desperately want it. :(

It seems the Collector's Edition is exclusive to certain shops in a lot of country, it will be hard to get. The FNAC France still got the game but I don't know if they ship it to Finland. :/

Apr 19, 2018
any word on performance across platforms yet? deciding between a One S and One X and want to know if it's 60 fps across the board.

As the game appears to be significantly more graphic-intensive than Blind Forest, I get the feeling my old-ass PC won't be able to run the game very well. =/ I wonder how expansive the graphics settings are going to be -- I'm hoping I'll be able to knock it down to something that'll resemble 60fps.

xlestattx

Oct 30, 2017
If there is one I'll be first in line. But I think the DE was a result of not having the resources to make the original Ori everything they wanted it to be so unless there is DLC for WotW I dont foresee a DE.

The collector's edition is nice though, looking forward to collecting mine at BB.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Ori and the Will of the Wisps starts the very moment where Ori and the Blind Forest ended, that's why you see Swallows Nest there :)

And yeah, currently there's a Press Preview Event happening in SF and the embargo for the previews is lifting on 26th of February at 12:01am. Gareth (our composer) is also there for interviews, etc. :)

So, not long anymore and you folks will get a whole bunch of new footage and previews!
This is 12 am EU time?

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reward for playing first ? If so I have it in Xbox and switch but of course i just played it recently. And finished it on switch. But no cross save .x

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I'm too bad at Ori to finish it, so I probably won't be jumping in on this one. RIP.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Will there be ltra-wide support from the beginning with this game? Or are we going to have to wait for the Definitive Edition again?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I see Microsoft still has not fixed regional pricing, so it's 40 euro for us in Norway and 30 euro in the rest of the world. Going to be playing this on Game Pass then.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Is it known if this will be native 4k and/or support hdr on the X? (I'm assuming 60 fps again across the board). I feel this will be a showcase and can't wait to play it with ambilight...

thomasmahler any info on this you can spare yet? Btw congrats on going gold and on the soon to be release! Based on your info on this thread this is gonna be EPIC. Most anticipated title this year.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I keep meaning to play the first one but everytime I look at video footage of it, I get turned off. I love metroidvanias, but this looks .... I dunno...

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would have never played it, if it didnt come to Switch. Loved every bit of it, especially the music. ( im hopefull the sequel will make its way, someday )

Gareth Coker

Composer
Verified
Jun 14, 2018
Yeah, even combining the original and additional soundtracks it's only 61 tracks for the Blind Forest (which includes unreleased and trailer audio).
Track count is generally misleading. A lot of these tracks on the WOTW album are stitched together due to interactive elements. e.g. A bossfight cue will have the intro -> phase 1 loop -> transition -> phase 2 loop -> outro. 5 'tracks' merged into 1 for a continuous listening experience (which is how it plays out in the game). Not all OSTs do the stitching and just drop the cues as they are built in the game.

Anyway, so the number of 'cues' (files) in the game is far higher, well over 100 - probably more. Runtime is a better comparison and this one is 186 minutes (after cuts!). It's a bigger game, with more characters, all stuff you've seen from our trailers, which means not just a continuation but also an expansion on what was done in the first game. Anyway, not long until the game is out and I hope you all enjoy what we've been working on together at Moon for so long to create!