• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
(Wasn't sure if this goes here or in off-topic, Game Movies seem to be a weird grey area)

www.empireonline.com

Monster Hunter: Milla Jovovich Reveals Why Her Hero Artemis Wields The Dual Blades – Exclusive Image

Empire speaks to Milla Jovovich and Paul WS Anderson about their video game adaptation.

monster-hunter-excl.jpg

With Anderson and Jovovich both being huge fans of the games, making a film in the Monster Hunter world was a labour of love – though knowing that audiences may be less familiar with the source material, they created Jovovich's all-new protagonist Artemis as a way in for the uninitiated. "I wrote the role of Artemis for Milla as the avatar for the player, so she could be a grounded, relatable real-world character who is fresh to the world of Monster Hunter," Anderson tells Empire in the Big-Screen Preview issue. Jovovich continues: "Yeah, she's not based on a character from the game. Paul wrote her as the captain of a team of Army Rangers that go in to rescue their colleagues."

It's not long before Artemis gets herself acquainted with the wild weaponry that the Monster Hunter world has to offer – and the director and star drew from Jovovich's own experiences playing the game when picking weapons for her character. "Although Milla's character's not specifically in the game, she chose the same armour and weapons she uses in the game, so there were aspects of her game character that got folded into the movie representation," says Anderson. Her weapon of choice? The famous Dual Blades. "I experimented with different weapons during the game and was able to kill more monsters with those blades," says Jovovich. "I thought they'd look really beautiful in an action sequence."

When we getting SnS? The best weapon in the series, smh.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I hope they literally copy the attack animations from the game because I think it would be amusing seeing an actor trying to copy some of them.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm going to watch this but only because I can.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, she's not based on a character from the game

I know nothing about Monster Hunter.

Is this a case that there genuinely wasn't any characters for someone like Milla to play, or a Resident Evil style "Screw it we'll not use the dozen characters that we could use" scenario?

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Is this a case that there genuinely wasn't any characters for someone like Milla to play, or a Resident Evil style "Screw it we'll not use the dozen characters that we could use" scenario?

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think no matter what you were going to have a new character, even if there wasn't the Isekai element to the movie.

Hell, Monster Hunter characters don't even have names and just go by titles, their histories and personalities are puddles.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019

More-or-less the former. There are essentially no major characters in Monster Hunter.

The leaked trailer footage showed that they're incorporating the cast from World into the story, but calling them one-dimensional would be an insult to the first dimension. By and large, though, Monster Hunter characters are more known for their quirky dialogue than any actual traits or any emotional complexity whatsoever.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

While standing in for Milla Jovovich during the 2015 shoot in Cape Town and riding a motorcycle at high speed, Jackson collided with a crane-mounted camera vehicle traveling in the opposite direction. She would spend 17 days in a coma, with her left arm having to be amputated above the elbow. She was also left with a twisted spine, paralysis of the top left quarter of her body including her neck, a dislocated shoulder, a severed thumb, punctured lungs and broken ribs, and still suffers lasting nerve damage and facial scarring.
According to the judge, Jackson, as a stunt performer, had not voluntarily assumed the risk of the accident, and she was unaware that director Paul W.S. Anderson had given the uninsured driver, Melville, instructions to decrease the safety margin from the rehearsal run to the incident run in order to get a more exciting shot.

"I miss my old face. I miss my old body. I miss my old life. At least I now finally have a court judgment that proves this stunt was badly planned and that it was not my fault," said Jackson of the ruling.

wow. All of this sounds awful!
How could he even try something like this?

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
The closest Paul W.S. Anderson ever came to a good movie was Event Horizon.

Edit: Mortal Kombat, I totally forgot that one lol.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so excited to see how bad this is. Hopefully it's in the "so bad it's good" category.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The poor woman.

This is also a good read.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Death, Injuries and an Amputation: Is ‘Resident Evil’ Hollywood’s Most Dangerous Franchise?

Stuntwoman Olivia Jackson nearly died on the set of 'The Final Chapter.' Her colleague was killed. And over the course of the billion-dollar series, many others have been injured. The Hollywood Reporter investigates what happened — and who might pay for it.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I already thirst for the seas of disappointment tears once this piece of shit comes out. I can't believe people are actually hoping this'll be good in any regard.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Is it bad that I can tell the free after effects plugin they used for those lightning strikes around those blades.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Because Anderson's an egotistical fuckwad who cares nothing for the safety and wellbeing of the people he employs.

And it's not like the final results are...you know...good.
Imagine putting everyone's safety at risk like this.

I honestly truly believe stunt doubles don't get nearly as much credit as they deserve.
How is it possible that it's 2020 and the Oscars still don't award stunt work?