• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're both currently single, he lives across the country but we were roommates in college.

I'm very honestly struggling with a reason to say no? Is this a thing people do? Is there any reason why we honestly shouldn't?

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
why do you need a reason to not want to marry someone?

thats the reason.

and what are the benefits? just tax? it....really does NOT seem worth it.

The negatives will outweigh tenfold if you divorce

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Go for it. It's not a bad idea, and your marriage will likely be more successful than the average one.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Like...tax and health insurance benefits?

Are the two of you already in a situation where you'd be able to benefit from either of that? Because you're not gonna get any of the emotional or mental benefits of a long lasting relationship in a sham marriage.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Sounds like a terrible idea. Two, it's technically illegal.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Mmm.

Well, I won't say no. Just sign a prenup.

sign fucking ten.

this is gonna be a MESS if it goes south.divorce lawyers will love to hear you or him entered into a marriage for just tax reasons. imagine if only one of you had proof the other did it for that reason

also, maybe youre completely over dating, but if you go through with it, its gonna be an uphill battle.

not many people i know who are looking for someone are looking for someone who is currently married but just for the benefits.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like...tax and health insurance benefits?

Are the two of you already in a situation where you'd be able to benefit from either of that? Because you're not gonna get any of the emotional or mental benefits of a long lasting relationship in a sham marriage.

We're not looking for emotional or mental benefits, purely fincancial. We're not in love, we're not even gay. It'd be quite literally a "friends with benefits" thing.

AlmostMilk

Oct 27, 2017
aa5a89057f3cb792f9b70d2d7f40472f.jpg

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly surprised more people don't do this more often. Especially for health insurance and tax reasons.

The only thing I would look out for is what would happen when you guys want to "divorce" or have a different spouse.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is he in the military or something and trying to get a spouse as a beneficiary or something?

Because the tax benefits alone do not make this worth it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
We're both currently single, he lives across the country but we were roommates in college.

I'm very honestly struggling with a reason to say no? Is this a thing people do? Is there any reason why we honestly shouldn't?

There are no real benefits, unless you can claim each other with Health Insurance spousal coverage? There is a big time tax break for Insurance coverage between Domestic Partners and Married Spouses.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk about the laws of your place but check if one registered domestic partnership wouldnt be better and would give the same benefits, to end a domestic partnership could be easier and cheaper depending where you live

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly surprised more people don't do this more often. Especially for health insurance and tax reasons.

The only thing I would look out for is what would happen when you guys want to "divorce" or have a different spouse.

I think we're gonna see a lot more of this going forward as well paying jobs get tougher to get and privatized benefits get fucked up in the efforts to make them public. People aren't trying to let bills go by or fall into ultra bankruptcy because you got sick.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
You'll never have sex, which is the approximate amount of sex every other married couple is having.

Status
Not open for further replies.