• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
If it's a tax benefit for him, that might mean it's the opposite for you. Can get kinda tricky splitting the tax refund and whatnot too fairly, your deductions and all that will be different, etc.

Don't personally have any qualms with someone doing this but do the math and really put some thought into how you'll agree to handle things. There's also the fact that if you do create your own independent development business while married it becomes marital property.

Probably not worth it.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying you should or shouldn't do this, it's all up to you, but wouldn't doing something like getting a part time job at UPS where you work 3-4 hours a day and get free health insurance in 9 months be simpler if you're desperate enough to consider marriage?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Fraud-wise, can't say. Otherwise, I feel like this has a lot of potential to get screwed up and bite you on the ass somewhere down the line. I wouldn't do it, honestly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not saying you should or shouldn't do this, it's all up to you, but wouldn't doing something like getting a part time job at UPS where you work 3-4 hours a day and get free health insurance in 9 months be simpler if you're desperate enough to consider marriage?

it's fucking nuts that people think asking a software engineer to go deliver packages for 57% of their week is somehow better than going through the legal construct to entitle them to health insurance, solely because they feel like this is fraud (hint: it's not).

Numerous marriage experts there saying no, this is not fraud.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's fucking nuts that people think asking a software engineer to go deliver packages for 57% of their week is somehow better than going through the legal construct to entitle them to health insurance, solely because they feel like this is fraud (hint: it's not).

Numerous marriage lawyers there saying no, this is not fraud.
Didn't say any of that, but okay.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Krejlooc I mean, do this if you want. But just make sure you dudes write up a nice prenup so nothing gets sticky. Note, this isn't just for when you guys divorce to end the benefits (maybe because you guys met someone you want to marry). It's also for the unlikely, but horrible, event one of you dies unexpectedly.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
this is a two way street, buddy. I've asked people numerous times to provide any sort of legal context for what constitutes marriage fraud, so far none of the loudmouths have.
unlike your potential marriage, this is so not a two way street, my guy. usually you have to pay people to provide legal advice, when you want it to be useful, accurate, and not done for the amusement of people willing to see harm done to you as a diversion. just because no one has loaded up jstor for a bunch of reference links doesn't mean your state or local whatever won't torch your pending nuptials if you give them an excuse.

i'm just saying maybe go to a pro for advice, not a game forum, and the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
unlike your potential marriage, this is so not a two way street, my guy. usually you have to pay people to provide legal advice, when you want it to be useful, accurate, and not done for the amusement of people willing to see harm done to you as a diversion. just because no one has loaded up jstor for a bunch of reference links doesn't mean your state or local whatever won't torch your pending nuptials if you give them an excuse.

i'm just saying maybe go to a pro for advice, not a game forum, and the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I urge you to heed this advice.

Please. For the love of god don't take legal advice from the internet...talk to a lawyer.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We're going to lock this thread, because the framing is insensitive towards LGBTQ+ relationships. The intent may not have been to insult, but to take advantage of a right that the LGBTQ+ community has fought and fights so hard for is not something we want to host a discussion on.

Status
Not open for further replies.