• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think it's an interesting discussion. Which Sony IP's would benefit from a more multimedia, broader approach?
To me it feels God of War is really fit for this. I'm thinking of movies, novels, merchandise, etc. It's how you grow your IP's.

Just look at Pokémon, Minecraft or Sonic.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Btw that wiki list is weird, Street Fighter is bigger than GTA?

Not saying that the list is wrong, but that it doesn't mean much.
It's likely just super out of date, know how secretive the industry is with everything. GTA5 is the highest grossing thing out of all entertainment, estimated to have brought in at least 6 billion on it's own, I'd imagine it's not fully factored in to GTA's total.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's an interesting discussion. Which Sony IP's would benefit from a more multimedia, broader approach?
To me it feels God of War is really fit for this. I'm thinking of movies, novels, merchandise, etc. It's how you grow your IP's.

Just look at Pokémon, Minecraft or Sonic.

This. I mean, there's an argument to be had with Sony not needing to invest in making its IPs cross media forms, but there is money to be made, and it's a way to market their IPs to the bigger market.

And which IP? There's a case to be made with TLOU and Uncharted, since they are two of Sony's biggest IPs, but done wrong, they can feel derivative of past works and may not have a strong a hook to the market. My take? Horizon: Zero Dawn--strong female lead, interesting lore with which you can do so many visually stunning things, and who doesn't want Robo-Dinosaurs on screen?

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
OP isn't talking about actual sales of the games. They're talking about how Sony doesn't really have any franchises that have a large presence in the world outside of the games itself.

You can find Mario themed board games, t-shirts, toys, and things along those lines. Microsoft always has Halo stuff coming out like novels and the upcoming TV show. Sony rarely tries to broaden the brand outside of the games themselves.

But they have, Gran Turismo has GT Academy.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So? Sony is in gaming for 2 centuries as well, how does this counter any of my points? It's not like Sony entered media business 5 years ago.

I still don't get your points honestly.

Them focusing on games that aren't highly merchandisable or that can have infinite sequels (like mario) and instead focusing on new experiences every few years (here comes the part of the game series on the list being 2 decades old) isnt a problem.

I think it is so much better that Sony studios have the freedom to try out new things, instead of forcing a studio to do the same stuff over and over (see CoD or whatever).

I don't get why they have to make more money out of these IPs just because they can.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Is it better? yes. Is it important? no. PS business can survive without having an IP that is big in merchandise. They're trying tho with a gear store, a new studio responible for adapting their IP into tv shows\movies as well as licensing IP (like uncharted and tlou) to Sony pictures.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huh... Spiderman?

TLOU sold more than any Halo. They don't have books and other stuff, but I don't think it's that important.

The thread is about franchises as a whole - and Halo is on the list that OP provided - TLOU is not.

I don't find it particularly interesting to discuss either, but it's what the thread is about..

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dear lord people get so defensive over everything. being bad or not great at one thing doesn't mean they're bad at other stuff. no one is saying their games sell bad, but somehow some people take the statement that they don't use their IPs outside of gaming as a personal offense.

to be able to get on that list, they need series that continue to be big for more than two generations, and use the IPs outside of gaming as well. it's understandable if that's not something they're interested in tho.

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Gamestop sells Playstation t-shirts. I'm not sure it's a problem, exactly. They seem to be doing just fine.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
If I am being blunt, Sony make great games, but they are not iconic. Very few games manage to make it to iconic status. And it is very difficult to make merchandise off the back of that.

Edit:

They absolutely missed a trick with Sackboy, possibly their one and only iconic character. There is the mascot for the Japan region I believe, but that is not used worldwide.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Uncharted will soon have a movie with Tom Holland starring in it.
Sony also produces Spider-Man movies.
(I wonder if this is the reason that they also cast Tom for Uncharted.)

Other than that Sony doesn't really need to sell merchanise or make movies to have many well selling IPs.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I can kinda understand what op is saying, I would love more merchandise for Horizon Zero Dawn. Give me Bandai/Kotobukiya model kit of many Horizon mech. Action figures, lego set, animated series etc

Aug 10, 2019
465230.jpg

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't get your points honestly.

Them focusing on games that aren't highly merchandisable or that can have infinite sequels (like mario) and instead focusing on new experiences every few years (here comes the part of the game series on the list being 2 decades old) isnt a problem.

I think it is so much better that Sony studios have the freedom to try out new things, instead of forcing a studio to do the same stuff over and over (see CoD or whatever).

I don't get why they have to make more money out of these IPs just because they can.

They are "loosing" tons of money out of this and if you think Sony does not care i don't think you know how business works. Being able to do a shit ton of money through merch like Pokemon and Mario are doing, means that you are not bound to the success of a game or console. Pikachu shirts or mario costumes for Halloween are selling regardless.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Here is the struggle with marketing an IP. This is the roster for All-Stars Royale:

• Big Daddy (BioShock)
  • Cole MacGrath (Infamous)
  • Colonel Radec (Killzone)
  • Dante (DmC: Devil May Cry)
  • Emmett Gravesa (Starhawk)
  • Evil Cole MacGrath (Infamous)
  • Fat Princess (Fat Princess)
  • Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
  • Isaac Clarkea (Dead Space)
  • Jak and Daxter (Jak and Daxter)
  • Kat and Dustya (Gravity Rush)
  • Kratos (God of War)
  • Nariko (Heavenly Sword)
  • Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
  • Parappa (PaRappa the Rapper)
  • Raiden (Metal Gear)
  • Ratchet & Clank (Ratchet & Clank)
  • Sackboy (LittleBigPlanet)
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque (MediEvil)
  • Sly Cooper (Sly Cooper)
  • Spike (Ape Escape)
  • Sweet Tooth (Twisted Metal)
  • Toro Inoue (Doko Demo Issyo)
  • Zeusa (God of War)

Out of that, the only entity that is iconic - and we are talking the Pokemon, Sonic, Mario, Angry Bird Red, Minecraft Steve tier of universal iconic here - is Sackboy. Without that level of gravitas, you cannot creat an industry around it.

You cannot dispute the quality of the IP and the awareness of said IP within gaming circles. It is just several tiers down from those titles which have the massive merch ecosystem around it. Take Nathan Drake for example - the archetypal everyday dude. Could you see that selling plushies, t-shirts for kids, a toy range, mass market penetration? No.

Getting to that level is a bit like lightning in a bottle.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If I am being blunt, Sony make great games, but they are not iconic. Very few games manage to make it to iconic status. And it is very difficult to make merchandise off the back of that.

Edit:

They absolutely missed a trick with Sackboy, possibly their one and only iconic character. There is the mascot for the Japan region I believe, but that is not used worldwide.

I mean, everybody knows and loves this guy:

tumblr_inline_o8usunX4SD1qgck7s_500.gif

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Spiderman? They got the movies and games...

Even though it's Marvel Sony still has at least part ownership of it's success.

Anyway to the real topic at hand...

How the fuck is JoJo bigger than GTA?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Are people being serious with the comparisons of characters from 16-18+ rated games not having the same universal appeal to Mario, Pokemon or Minecraft? The latter 2 especially are largely built with selling merch in mind nowadays, it's not even close to realistic expectations and certainly isn't where big I.P starts.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Are people being serious with the comparisons of characters from 16-18+ rated games not having the same universal appeal to Mario, Pokemon or Minecraft? The latter 2 especially are largely built with selling merch in mind nowadays.

Halo was primarily an M rated series and had a huge franchise beyond the games themselves.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are people being serious with the comparisons of characters from 16-18+ rated games not having the same universal appeal to Mario, Pokemon or Minecraft? The latter 2 especially are largely built with selling merch in mind nowadays.
well they've had E-rated characters that were successful pretty much in every generation (ps1, 2 and 3), they just weren't able to manage those IPs well and take advantage of their popularity.

I think you confused Sony with Microsoft. They're the ones who need a big IP. Halo 5, Gears, and all other games weren't even holding a candle to God of War or Spider-Man in terms of sales, reception, and overall impression.

The 360 had a good library of games I genuinely wished to play as a PS3 owner. With the One I just looked at sunset overdrive and quantum break. The rest were beyond meh for me.

Sony kicked ass with the PS4 this gen.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Uh do you have a source for that? From what I can tell it was only aired on a niche channel called SPEED which was discontinued in 2013 and are on Nissan's YouTube channel with like 25k views.

Here 2 pages i quick googled:
The television show for GT Academy Europe has attracted interest not just from the 120 million viewers in the 160 countries it is broadcast to, but also from the advertising, broadcast and media industries. "GT ACADEMY" has no less than three prestigious Lion Awards, one of which was the Cannes Golden Lion, won in 2010 for "Best Use of Branded Content" at the 58th International Festival of Creativity. Most recently it took the Broadcast Digital Award for "Best Content Partnership."

Executive Director for Film and TV Services at twofour54, Paul Baker, said: "With a global TV audience of 78 million in 2014, GT Academy's viewers are in for an unparalleled sports experience thanks to the thrill and excitement the iconic Yas Marina F1 circuit offers. twofour54 is delighted to be providing production services to the producers of the show, GTA Global Ltd."

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
is this about not having a cipher mascot?

Those are popular, sure.. they are easier for people to fit right in. But I find it a bit problematic if your contribution to a medium is too reliant on those vessels of message delivering.

Oct 30, 2017
Be sure to bring this up at the next shareholders meeting, OP.

Seriously though, why is that a concern to you? Sony doing new IPs ever gen is their biggest strength.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't see it as a problem, but I don't think it would hurt if they did license out their IPs more for merchandising.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
You do know that the calculations in the wiki article is wack?

Sony could do better in the merch game. They could start doing crossovers of their popular char in other games and trying to get an entry out every year not necessarily in the same genre to build fame around it but i doubt they will.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't really see the need for merchandise or how it is a problem, it's not like their games are suffering.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Halo was primarily an M rated series and had a huge franchise beyond the games themselves.
Halo isn't even close to those 3.

well they've had E-rated characters that were successful pretty much in every generation (ps1, 2 and 3), they just weren't able to manage those IPs well and take advantage of their popularity.
Because they moved on, in most cases to bigger and better stuff that were just not ever going to be universally appealing. Crash and Spyro would have probably been that mainstay I.P for them with GT (massively limited in this regard) if things went differently, but even they wouldn't come close to them 3, nothing outside of Disney I.Ps do.

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
People here get defensive pretty easily apparently.
You can't even discuss something without being told that "how is that your problem OP?", "Why does it concern you"?

Oh, I was about to bring up the Fate series. Games, anime series, manga series, tons of merchandise and a huge fanbase all over the world. Everything OP asked for.

As far is i know Sony doesn't own the whole IP. i might be wrong though.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because they moved on, in most cases to bigger and better stuff that were just not ever going to be universally appealing. Crash and Spyro would have probably been that mainstay I.P for them with GT (massively limited in this regard) if things went differently, but even they wouldn't come close to them 3, nothing outside of Disney I.Ps do.
that's the thing, they just like to move on to newer things. it's clearly working for them and their fans, but the downside is they can't really make anything into a media franchise that they can profit from for decades.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Did OP edit his post? Cause it was very clear to me what he meant from the start.

He's obviously talking about capitalizing on stuff other than the game sales, and Sony's IPs don't seem to have the potential to do that.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Halo isn't even close to those 3.

What 3? Mario, Pokemon, and Minecraft?

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I get what you mean but sony AAA titles mostly focused on 16+ 18+ and its hard to make those IPs as you mentioned for many reasons.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did OP edit his post? Cause it was very clear to me what he meant from the start.

He's obviously talking about capitalizing on stuff other than the game sales, and Sony's IPs don't seem to have the potential to do that.

Unless they try to build an IP from the ground up to be a merchandising juggernaut that's not really going to happen organically. Very few gaming franchise just stumble upon that avenue for revenue unless you've reached cult status like Mario or Zelda to a lesser extend.

Even Nintendo probably struggle with it. I'm sure Animal Crossing could have had the potential to be a merchandising giant if the franchise started a decade earlier.