• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal-Kombat-11.jpg

Mortal Kombat 11 (Warner Bros)

ctrnf_reveal_3.jpg

Crash Team Racing : Nitro Fuel (Activision)

https:///wp-content/uploads/2018/12/marvel-ultimate-alliance-3-announced-exclusively-for-switch-1RohG-JzXiM-1038x576.jpg
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 : The Black Order (Koei Tecmo/Nintendo)

Last night the Game Awards happened and aside from Epic Store's very strong debut, the state of Switch's 3rd (Western) party support was also a main talking point. During the show, those 3 announcements could have, in a way, showed the trend and the converging point of future 3rd party announcements between :

- Games that were releasing late during the first years of the system (Crash, Spyro?) and are now releasing day and date with the other platforms (CTR)
- Games that skipped the Nintendo system for so long and ar now coming back (MK11)
- Surprising exclusive games (UA3)

So did you expect to see those games being announced on Switch alongside other platforms ? What are the other publishers that you could see releasing big games on Switch in 2019 ?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, had no idea they got MK XI. That's pretty good. Will probably be a pretty strong version too, since Injustice on Vita was surprisingly playable.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Made a thread about this last week or so. The Switch is no longer like the GB, GBA, DS or 3DS where if you got some of the biggest names from other platforms it was some watered down, technically much less impressive and smaller scope side-scroller spin-off or something. You can actually get proper third parties with only graphical compromises. Doom, Rocket League, Diablo 3, Civilization 6, Wolfenstein 2, FIFA 19, Warframe and so on, and now CTR, Mortal Kombat, even an exclusive like Ultimate Alliance 3. There's obviously a technical leap, still, but finally it only feels like playing on a laptop on low settings, not like playing some sort of mobile tie-in for the main game. I'm very satisfied with where Switch currently is, and while there's a lot of games that will never arrive (mainly the current-gen technically impressive open world games), the ones that do already make up for so many of prior handhelds' shortcomings.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
It's not bad but I honestly kind of wish the support was more in line with what handhelds historically got: exclusive games made for the platform instead of shoehorned ports.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It is definitely promising. I figured Crash Team Racing would come eventually even if Sony grabbed timed exclusivity again, but launching on the same date is a nice advancement. Mortal Kombat 11 is an awesome get, especially if it launches same day. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 feels like a play from early 00's Nintendo and I love it.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I think most publishers have now managed to figure out that current Switch owners are not the Wii audience, but either Nintendo hardcore fans that are now more open to try other kind of games and ips or dedicated gaming geeks that bought it as a cool portable complementary system.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Made a thread about this last week or so. The Switch is no longer like the GB, GBA, DS or 3DS where if you got some of the biggest names from other platforms it was some watered down, technically much less impressive and smaller scope side-scroller spin-off or something. You can actually get proper third parties with only graphical compromises. Doom, Rocket League, Diablo 3, Civilization 6, Wolfenstein 2, FIFA 19, Warframe and so on, and now CTR, Mortal Kombat, even an exclusive like Ultimate Alliance 3. There's obviously a technical leap, still, but finally it only feels like playing on a laptop on low settings, not like playing some sort of mobile tie-in for the main game. I'm very satisfied with where Switch currently is, and while there's a lot of games that will never arrive (mainly the current-gen technically impressive open world games), the ones that do already make up for so many of prior handhelds' shortcomings.

Yes obviously it won't get every AAA games and frankly it is okay. The audience is also different from the PS4/X1's.

It is just good to see Western publishers playing the game, building an audience and paving the way for years of support to come.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's promising for sure. Just hope the port quality is there. MK11 especially. Can't imagine that with a variable resolution and frame rate.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Yeah 2019, as expected when it appeared switch was an unanticipated succes, will probably the year third party support takes off.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's very good to see. I'm curious to see what else we're gonna get announced as the year goes on. I really wanna see more day and date multiplats.

It's not bad but I honestly kind of wish the support was more in line with what handhelds historically got: exclusive games made for the platform instead of shoehorned ports.

MUA 3 is kind of that.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I agree to a degree... switch will never compete 3rd party-wise with the others, but mortal kombat and specially Crash (due to most people copyright speech) were surprising.

And Marvel was a real wtf moment.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't count the Marvel title when they're publishing it.

Made a thread about this last week or so. The Switch is no longer like the GB, GBA, DS or 3DS where if you got some of the biggest names from other platforms it was some watered down, technically much less impressive and smaller scope side-scroller spin-off or something.
These systems were filled with good exclusive content made specifically for them. Switch lacks this -- especially from japanese third parties. I honestly prefer that to some western games ports, but that's me.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think most publishers have now managed to figure out that current Switch owners are not the Wii audience, but either Nintendo hardcore fans that are now more open to try other kind of games and ips or dedicated gaming geeks that bought it as a cool portable complementary system.

It is also interesting because these games probably started developpement around Switch's launch. They are the result of the successful launch.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
... This is actually why I really dislike the hybrid concept >.< Though Ubisoft and SE have offered those kinds of projects and both been pretty well rewarded (Mario Rabbids and Octopath).

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
"Told ya"

- High unit sales
- High software sales
- Easy to develop for

No 3rd party leaves money on the table when that happens.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's moving in the right direction, it's still paltry but it's a LOT better than Wii U and probably on par with 3DS? I wonder how much it will affected though when next gen takes effect

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Out of those three only MK surprised me. Going forward though until they get the third party games that show up every NPD its not still not a huge deal.

That said I don't see why people are worried about it. Having Nintendo's games and indies, is all it needs. The other games are a bonus. I mean when Sony & MS have deals that bring console prices down to 199 I don't imagine a lot of Switch-only people.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Mortal Kombat, what's interesting is that the game will probably pave the way for years of support. Switch's future is clear, it is successful, there is going to be a Switch 2 following the same concept. This clarity for publishers is reassuring.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Think so. But it has been greatly enhanced since MK10. Meaning even PS4 or Xbox One Vanilla will have trouble emulating the PC version.

It should be interesting to see but UE4 really works quite nicely on Switch, so I'm expecting it to hold up well.

It's moving in the right direction, it's still paltry but it's a LOT better than Wii U and probably on par with 3DS? I wonder how much it will affected though when next gen takes effect

It's not really 3DS style support because it's getting much better Western support than the 3DS ever had. Major Japanese support is what seems to be lagging behind a bit but you can be sure that's coming heavily too.

Out of those three only MK surprised me. Going forward though until they get the third party games that show up every NPD its not still not a huge deal.

That said I don't see why people are worried about it. Having Nintendo's games and indies, is all it needs. The other games are a bonus. I mean when Sony & MS have deals that bring console prices down to 199 I don't imagine a lot of Switch-only people.

Some people (like myself) don't have time to play games on a TV or PC anymore so a handheld is basically my only option. The more games I'm able to play the better, even if better versions are available on stationary consoles.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The thing is, the market and the AAA companies aren't the same as last decade. They don't do exclusive games anymore, they don't do smaller projects (or they do at best a couple AA games per year). The 3DS wasn't nearly as supported as the DS was, and the DS was supported by shitty games anyway, like I remember that ugly ugly NFS Most Wanted port that still makes me puke in my mouth.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

If you are looking at Western 3rd party support, it is not in the same category as the 3DS. Miles ahead.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Like I wrote in other thread, most 3rd party Switch success take out of guard and they didn't had any or had small plans for Switch before that, so I suspecting that much more 3rd party Switch projects started in 2018. so we should have quite more 3rd party announcements in 2019. and 2020.
This 3 3rd party announcements are great start for 2019. lineup.

Also, Switch will most likely be Nintendo platform with best 3rd party support from SNES period.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

People are not worried just people wants more games like Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein, Dark Souls, Diablo3, CiV6, FF games, Mortal Kombat...on Nintendo platform, especially because Switch offers full handheld play also that other platforms dont.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was just a matter of time as the system proved to be a unique and popular console for a wide variety of players. Glad to see the system's library continuing to expand. Maybe now Sub Zero or Scorpion has a chance to join Smash

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's still lacklustre but it's improving. Between the better 3rd party support next year and vastly better 1st party lineup I'm expecting big things from the switch next year sales wise.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Like I wrote in other thread, most 3rd party Switch success take out of guard and they didn't had any or had small plans for Switch before that, so I suspecting that much more 3rd party Switch projects started in 2018. so we should have quite more 3rd party announcements in 2019. and 2020.
This 3 3rd party announcements are great start for 2019. lineup.

Also, Switch will most likely be Nintendo platform with best 3rd party support from SNES period.

Pretty much.

When even all the big games already announced in the January 2017 conference don't have a release date (SMTV), you can understand why they are/were late, Switch was a new untested concept and game development takes more time than ever.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know. Child games were already targeted for Switch like crash racing, the other is a Nintendo paid game and Mortal Kombat is a good catch, but even Vita had Mortal Kombat.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I don't know. Child games were already targeted for Switch like crash racing, the other is a Nintendo paid game and Mortal Kombat is a good catch, but even Vita had Mortal Kombat.

What is positive is for Crash Racing for Switch is that we talking about new game that comes on same date like other platforms.
Vita maybe had Mortal Kombat, but both 3DS and Wii U didn had Mortal Kombat game, so its big win for Switch in any case.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't count the Marvel title when they're publishing it.

These systems were filled with good exclusive content made specifically for them. Switch lacks this -- especially from japanese third parties. I honestly prefer that to some western games ports, but that's me.
That's me as well, but that's what was expected when Nintendo finally entered the HD era with their handhelds too. It's 2006 all over again.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
I think MK11 is the biggest sign of the state of Nintebdo for me. If this game is coming, what else is coming in 2019?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I would actually exchange all of these titles against the rpg announced by Obsidian as the switch is severely lacking that kind of games, but that's just me. Mk11 is a very nice get. The marvel game looks meh. CTR, I never played nor have I interest to do so, so that's on me.