• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
*sees the other side's thoughts*
*people screeching about how they're going to make Nami a fat black woman because America*
... Do these people listen to themselves when they talk?
I'm not against black Nami however I'm not sure how appropriate would it be to have her slaved by Fishman and THEN revealed later that fishman were enslaved on a wide scale across the world.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like a little past Skypea in the manga so I guess I'll watch this out of morbid interest

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
There's no way in hell this is going to be good, unless they can get the characters to look exactly like this (from a recent Japanese commercial about...a job hunting app, I think) --

V%C3%ADdeo-promocional-com-One-Piece-Live-Action.jpg

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way in hell this is going to be good, unless they can get the characters to look exactly like this (from a recent Japanese commercial about...a job hunting app, I think) --

V%C3%ADdeo-promocional-com-One-Piece-Live-Action.jpg
Looks isn't the only thing that is important they need to be able to act as well. Also some of those characters are intended to be of different nationalities so it wouldn't fit for them to all be Japanese or all be white people. Luffy for example is more Brazilian than Asian or White.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
is there any good live action movie from anime, besides rurouni kenshin?

Almost none, even the Kenshin movies are kind of bleh to me, beacuse they lose so much of the charm, humor, and warm vibe of the original. Too stiff and serious. But there are a handful of decent tries. The Cromartie High School movie is surprisingly good...there was also a really great TV show adaptation of a manga called Blue Blazes, about the birth of Gainax and one manga-obsessed dude's quest to be the king of manga.

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind everyone, this is not a Japanese production. This is a Hollywood one, so it's not going to look as cheap as the Attack on Titan movie, or the FMA movie, or the AssClass movie, or the Bleach movie, or the *puts down list because it will take too long*

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Out of all the animes why did they pick the one that's impossible to adapt into live action

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Looks isn't the only thing that is important they need to be able to act as well. Also some of those characters are intended to be of different nationalities so it wouldn't fit for them to all be Japanese or all be white people. Luffy for example is more Brazilian than Asian or White.

Of course, you're right... I don't mean "look" as in, they need to be a certain ethnicity, etc., and more like, the very unique cartoony style of One Piece is a key part of its success for me. Losing that will just be a real shame, even if the acting and storytelling is on point.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesssss, let's go. Age of anime is upon us.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I still stan for Dacre Montgomery for Sanji. Not sure about the others but I genuinely think he'd be perfect casting. He isn't too big for the role either like a lot of fantasy casting likes to do.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
expecting it to be bad but im hoping its good

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Can't wait to see how they handle big bois like Kaido or Whitebeard

Devil Fruit mechanics are gonna be a mess. I can't wait to see Buggy lmao

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Even with a Game of Thrones budget, I don't know how the hell you pull this off.

You would need a Cameron level budget.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A live action US adaption was confirmed during the 20th anniversary, if I remember correctly.

It being by Netflix is new though.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
One of the ways i could see it suceeding it having it completely embracing the silliness and camp. There's no way you could do Luffy's Gattling attack without doing that, lol.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I can still see this working for most of East Blue - that of the story is still fairly restrained in terms of absurdity being normalised, with stuff like the Fishmen being well within the realms of either FX technology or makeup artistry. The battle with Captain Kuro is certainly comparable to - if not easier than - any of the major battles done by Game of Thrones.

The moment you get past Loguetown though... hoo boy. That's when you're suddenly having whole episodes take place inside a whale, or on an island of dinosaurs where two giants have been duking it out for ages while also having to battle a dude with wax powers.

Curious when we'll actually hear of casting for this thing.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Lordy, I don't even wanna know the budget it would take to make this look half way decent.

Oda's Style works in the manga medium, how trash is some of this gonna look in real life.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Live action One Piece can only be a disaster unless Netflix is willing to throw STUPID money at it for AAA quality CG.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
STOP. GREENLIGHTING. EVERYTHING. NETFLIX. The only thing I'm looking forward to with this is how people are gonna make fun of it.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Out of the entire East Blue saga, the devil fruit that would be the hardest to get right are the first two shown in the series.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
So does that mean they're going to keep the whole last names first thing? Or will they roll with saying his "first name" is Monkey? How will they get around that for Dragon?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the effects the only other problem is how they will condense it. One Piece is not a short story.