• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In the thread that must not be named people were saying that MHA still hasn't had an arc as good as Naruto(ch aligned). I don't plan to read it yet(I doubt I will follow a weekly shonen for decades besides OP at this point). Although I can't help myself on wonder if there will ever be another global hit.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the thread that must not be named people were saying that MHA still hasn't had an arc as good as Naruto

They're not wrong. MHA is consistently decent, where it's not this masterpiece or anything, but the writing/art is normally good enough to say that it definitely shows a lot of promise.

It definitely has hype moments, but they're kind of scattered around here and there. I think the reason you see the sentiment of its arcs not being as good is because they aren't grandiose enough to put it simply.

That said, it has a better foundation than Naruto imo, basically meaning that there's a lower chance that it'll turn to shit one day.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Man in that other thread some people really have not idea about certain things or talking without facts.
Like do people know that OP has sold almost as much as bleach total sales out side of Japan or it's 3rd best selling comic of all time.
Will most likely be second after few more years .

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They're not wrong. MHA is consistently decent, where it's not this masterpiece or anything, but the writing/art is normally good enough to say that it definitely shows a lot of promise.

It definitely has hype moments, but they're kind of scattered around here and there. I think the reason you see the sentiment of its arcs not being as good is because they aren't grandiose enough to put it simply.

That said, it has a better foundation than Naruto imo, basically meaning that there's a lower chance that it'll turn to shit one day.
I disagree, despite short,
the kamino arc
is as good to me as the best Naruto arcs.
It still needs an arc as strong as OP best arcs tho.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
In the thread that must not be named people were saying that MHA still hasn't had an arc as good as Naruto(ch aligned). I don't plan to read it yet(I doubt I will follow a weekly shonen for decades besides OP at this point). Although I can't help myself on wonder if there will ever be another global hit.

The arcs haven't been good.

But some chapter rise well above itself. Not quite the heights One Piece set out of course. However the cast is pretty solid. Like Mirio is probably the best Naruto-esque character you can wish for.

Plus the quirks are quite fun to look at. Unless it changes I still can't see the manga going on for much longer despite its success.

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
That is definitely a thing I noticed with MHA reading it from its launch to now. It's basically the fun early squad and big endearing personality parts of Naruto with a way more approachable aesthetic/frame, but it (currently) lacks the sense of "global scale" One Piece kinda started with and as such it feels a lot smaller. I definitely think it has a ton of potential but I don't see it being very long running (and that's ok, different approaches for different executions).

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about its length, but I do recall the author saying he actually wanted to explore adult themes in the future, implying an eventual timeskip.

Anyways, he has a similar long-term goal like Luffy and Naruto, so I could see it lasting for a good while.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
My hero academia recently did the thing where it cuts to a flashback right before a punch. I need to reread Drum Island to see what made that work there, since it felt really out of place in MHA.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
That is definitely a thing I noticed with MHA reading it from its launch to now. It's basically the fun early squad and big endearing personality parts of Naruto with a way more approachable aesthetic/frame, but it (currently) lacks the sense of "global scale" One Piece kinda started with and as such it feels a lot smaller. I definitely think it has a ton of potential but I don't see it being very long running (and that's ok, different approaches for different executions).

Thing is for OP we saw parts of the global scale rather early .
Not only was luffy moving from place to place but we saw Mihawk in chapter 49.
We saw All Might fight more than once but for me it never feel grand \epic in a sense and he was the top guy.
In terms of power and scale MHA just feels small don't know if that is the right word i looking for.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I would say that MHA's setting, at least from when I used to read it, was easily its least interesting aspect.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My hero academia recently did the thing where it cuts to a flashback right before a punch. I need to reread Drum Island to see what made that work there, since it felt really out of place in MHA.

Yea I felt the same way.

I would say that MHA's setting, at least from when I used to read it, was easily its least interesting aspect.

It lacks visual variety. We're often in the same city most of the time, and even when we go to different places, it doesn't necessarily stand out much. The recent arc for example largely took place in a bland basement.

Though to be fair, it's based on the real world, but with superheroes. Whereas it's competition are pure fantasy, especially One Piece. I dunno, maybe MHA could work on its architecture game. Considering it has fancy technology here and there, it's the least it can do.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

It's a little difficult to roll with because there barely seems to be a world outside of their part of the country (except during internship season) let alone a whole planet of stuff going on.

Which, in a different scenario, that would work. A good lived-in world implies a wealth of things that happen offscreen, while an un-lived-in world (like, say, Bleach) has next to nothing happen in featured locations (like how nothing of note happened in the living world outside of Karakura Town). The issue with MHA is that it implies that One For All and All For One are world-class powers, but these don't seem to attract the attention of anybody outside of a 30-mile radius.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It's a little difficult to roll with because there barely seems to be a world outside of their part of the country (except during internship season) let alone a whole planet of stuff going on.

Which, in a different scenario, that would work. A good lived-in world implies a wealth of things that happen offscreen, while an un-lived-in world (like, say, Bleach) has next to nothing happen in featured locations (like how nothing of note happened in the living world outside of Karakura Town). The issue with MHA is that it implies that One For All and All For One are world-class powers, but these don't seem to attract the attention of anybody outside of a 30-mile radius.

Yes this is something that Nauro , OP , HxH did rather early .
Show and gave hints of how big\alive there world are.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I disagree with your last point, All Might is a media magnet and almost every arc we seem some chapters focused on the media or police repercussions of what happenned.

And MHA isn't an adventure manga, I am not sure why showing the world is important. It is a very different premise from OP that has a clear focus on the travels of the crew.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I disagree with your last point, All Might is a media magnet and almost every arc we seem some chapters focused on the media or police repercussions of what happenned.

And MHA isn't an adventure manga, I am not sure why showing the world is important. It is a very different premise from OP that has a clear focus on the travels of the crew.

Mostly because big things that happen should have at least some implication beyond the confines of the local town. The story doesn't need to be global or national, but an occasional glimpse of that wider world would be appreciated.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly because big things that happen should have at least some implication beyond the confines of the local town. The story doesn't need to be global or national, but an occasional glimpse of that wider world would be appreciated.
But it does. We even had 2 important arcs that happenned far from UA.
Unless you are calling Tokyo as whole a town.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So when is the OT title changing? I though it was supposed to be at 100 pages.

Btw, I recommend "Shokugeki no Sanji" (or maybe "Shokugeki no Mugiwara/Straw Hats" but I like using Sanji more).

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I say something with Sanji cream.

But we should be good for awhile I think.

Yeah I really like the current one too. It's just that I thought it was changing for sure at 100 pages.

(And I like Shokugeki no Sanji because of how we will probably get Food Wars style reactions to that cake. Chocolate so fucking smooth it's sliding out of the container)

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from it being every 50 pages (100 ppl ftw), the titles have to be good. When it clicks, we'll know.

Oct 26, 2017
I assume they want the lead up to the big reveal to happen relatively soon.
Preview for next episode shows Reiju in the hallway.

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta build for the special that goes from Sanji saying "I'm gonna go give Pudding some food." to Luffy saying "Let's go wreck that wedding together!"

Even though that's like five chapters too many for an hour of anime.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this episode was dope. Did a great job expanding on Chobro's ascension to awesomeness.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We're being polite members of the community who are patiently waiting for the newest chapter.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
MHA looks good when you've been abused by the dying years of Naruto and Bleach, but why even bring it up in a One Piece thread?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
MHA looks good when you've been abused by the dying years of Naruto and Bleach, but why even bring it up in a One Piece thread?

Same reason we bring up Jojo: We are people of culture.

We are ppl of culture everything gets talked about in here could start a prison school discussion right now and few ppl would care(unless there's a chapter)

There is actually a chapter lmao

Lol there's literally a mha discussion on this page patient my butt

People of culture discuss other things from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.