• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
So for those who don't know, One Piece movie 6 is directed by Mamoru Hosoda who would go onto make stuff like The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and The Boy and the Beast after this. Because of that, the movie has a very distinct look to it that feels very Hosoda.

xGJBLsiY0quc2pOcCH1MdnF5P8.jpg

The movie is fucking gorgeous. Backgrounds are all really nicely detailed, and movement looks fantastic in this style.

The movie feels very light in the beginning even by One Piece standards. This setup doesn't feel super high stakes, but this allows the crew to interact with one another which is always a strong point for One Piece and it leads to some really funny moments. Then as the film goes on it starts taking a turn. It doesn't appear too crazy at first aside from fights between the crew feeling a bit more real then usual, but then it gets real fucking dark.

Lily_Carnation_True_Form.png

Screen-Shot-2015-10-31-at-2.16.18-AM-1-810x506.png

The film starts playing with the theme of loss. At first it seems to be just on the level of possibly losing friendships, but as it goes on it's clear that it also means loss in the context of death. The villain of the film, Baron Omatsuri, is shown to have lost quite a bit before the events of the film started and this leads him to wanting to inflict the same pain on others. This causes Luffy to experience grief in a way we haven't ever really seen before. (This was years before the Whitebeard war)

If you're a fan of the series and if you can find a way to watch the damn thing, I would recommend it. It does some pretty crazy things with the property that hadn't and still haven't been really done before. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, and I've seen people say that this movie isn't really what they come to One Piece for, but I think it is 100% worth checking out.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the 4 great One Piece movies. Some truly disturbing stuff in there, to the point where it would honestly turn me a little off the series if Oda was reguarly about that life in the manga.

Between this movie and Undertale, beware of flowers y'all

fights between the crew feeling a bit more real then usual

Everyone that's seen this movie will obviously talk about the villain and tone, but this part always felt a tad underrated to me. Was really uncomfortable watching them snipe at each other the way they did, especially as a long-time fan. It's like picture the drama that went on between Luffy and Usopp at Water 7, but it's affecting the whole crew.

OP
OP
TheChuggernaut
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone that's seen this movie will obviously talk about the villain and tone, but this part always felt a tad underrated to me. Was really uncomfortable watching them snipe at each other the way they did, especially as a long-time fan. It's like picture the drama that went on between Luffy and Usopp at Water 7, but it's affecting the whole crew.

Agreed. I think the two main conflicts in the crew are done really well too. Sanji and Zoro having issues with each other is rooted in the show itself so that fight feels like tensions between the two just coming to a head. Nami and Ussop on the other hand is basically a series of misunderstandings that they both just reacted to in the wrong way. Both fights feel like something that could absolutely happen in real life.

May 13, 2019
Everything from the Arabasta movie onwards except the 3D muso looking movie (its not that long)
So from the 8th movie? I was under the impression they had only dubbed the most (relavitely) recent movies i.e from Strong World and onwards.

Also, this titbit in the OP wiki page about the movies:
  • The animation in Movie 6 was experimental. Much of the world was produced in CGI and was similar to that of Gunbound. However it was used again, albeit to a lesser extent, for Movie 9, and the character design was used for Episode 388.
It certainly added to the film's surreal horror atmosphere.

Oct 26, 2017
This was the first One Piece movie I saw about 15 years ago and it left one hell of an impression.
Discrepancies on the writing aside, the art direction and loose, weighty animation is still top tier.

Established animators like Sushio and Norio Matsumoto worked on it, too.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Was Hosoda given leeway to make the movie as he pleased despite it being One Piece and made something darker than the norm?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yes ! Best One Piece movie, the tension between the crew members (especially Zoro and Sanji, more heated than never before) are awesome.
It's not the only fun One Piece movie, but it's definitely the only one that I would really recommand to any film's or animation's fans. Which is not surprising given who is the director.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, this movie was really dark and I loved it. A totally different kind of One Piece experience.

tumblr_p66aklDP7C1r4moibo9_500.gif

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
It's great and tbh not that far off from how One Piece has evolved over the years with it's darker themes (just a bit more creepier in Hosoda's movie, lol)

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this movie for the trademark Hosoda storytelling. I wish he would do more anime-feature adaptations like this, and Our War Game, they really elevate their respective shows to stylish, cinematic heights. It did seemed to get hijacked by that regular-looking Hosoda-style family in late Act2/3, which felt a bit jarring in the world of One Piece.

Even for One Piece, this film had moments that straight up surpassed disturbing into fucked-up territory.

edit: gif got posted above

Wish it would get dubbed!

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I checked it out recently and I was so impressed that I picked up the manga earlier this year and I'm already up to vol 46.

It's become my routine to read one piece every night until I fall asleep.

That movie really captured the spirit of everything I like about the comic, from the adorable and mismatched crew to the surreal and dreamlike world and plots.

The anime has less than zero appeal to me, but a meaningful one off story with good direction and animation would be great.

Are there any other One Piece movies that are comparable in quality?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I checked it out recently and I was so impressed that I picked up the manga earlier this year and I'm already up to vol 46.

That movie really captured the spirit of everything I like about the comic, from the adorable and mismatched crew to the surreal and dreamlike world and plots.

The anime has less than zero appeal to me, but a meaningful one off story with good direction and animation would be great.

Strong World, Film Z, and FIlm Gold are just as good but I don't recommend watching them until you reach certain parts of the manga, lol.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Movie 9 is a GREAT adaptation of Chopper's introduction but redone as an AU where Franky and Robin are part of the crew and there's a new villain. Really has everything special about OP in one movie and it starts out like it's introducing newcomers to the franchise.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Haven't seen this in a long time.

Remember when I first started getting into anime thus was one of the movies a buddy recommended I watch. It also got me into one piece.

Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. He could have had a hand into convincing Studio Bihou, who did most of the background art.
Side note: the writer for Movie 6 was Masahiro Itou who did production setup for End of Evangelion.

Specifically, the terms that Mamoru established that if he did direct this movie, he was allowed to do whatever he wanted. He got royally fucked over by Miyazaki over at Ghibli, as he was supposed to direct one of the major movies there at the time (forget which movie it was at the time, but Miyazaki interfered with that). So Toei agreed and we got probably, to this day, one of the best One Piece movies.

Oct 25, 2017
Movie 9 is a GREAT adaptation of Chopper's introduction but redone as an AU where Franky and Robin are part of the crew and there's a new villain. Really has everything special about OP in one movie and it starts out like it's introducing newcomers to the franchise.
Wapol is one of the worst villains to me next to Gecko Moria, so him being replaced makes me want to watch it more.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Specifically, the terms that Mamoru established that if he did direct this movie, he was allowed to do whatever he wanted. He got royally fucked over by Miyazaki over at Ghibli, as he was supposed to direct one of the major movies there at the time (forget which movie it was at the time, but Miyazaki interfered with that). So Toei agreed and we got probably, to this day, one of the best One Piece movies.

Damn wish Hunter x Hunter would get someone like Hosoda to do a movie.

Oct 26, 2017
Do you happen to know if there's an in-depth interview he did for Movie 6? I'd be interested in reading it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I should watch this at some point. I think I did, but I'm not sure

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn wish Hunter x Hunter would get someone like Hosoda to do a movie.

I think what helps is Mamoru Hosoda worked with Toei years prior to this, and he came back after things with Ghibli didn't work out. Afterwards, he would work trying to establish his own studio. A lot of Toei animators still regularly work with him (both animators who are associated via freelance, or actual in house animators), so you'll still often see staff that you wouldn't normally see outside of Toei, working on these projects.

EDIT:

Do you happen to know if there's an in-depth interview he did for Movie 6? I'd be interested in reading it.

I wanna say there was one, but I can't remember if it's still floating around on the internet. Though it could've also been an off hand comment when the subject came up too, but it's been awhile.

OP
OP
TheChuggernaut
Oct 25, 2017
I do remember liking movie 9. Other then that the Oda ones (Strong World, Film Z, and Film Gold) are the only ones I think are really worth watching that aren't this movie. I remember movie 8 being rough.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do remember liking movie 9. Other then that the Oda ones (Strong World, Film Z, and Film Gold) are the only ones I think are really worth watching that aren't this movie. I remember movie 8 being rough.

I remember liking Movies 2 and 4 a lot, but it has been ages. Honestly, after Movie 6, I didn't really watch much, outside of Strong World and the Alabasta recap movie (which I only watched honestly because of FUNimation dubbing it before they could do Alabasta proper). I still wanna see Film Z and Film Gold, though. Same with the associated TV special Gold had.

EDIT:

Quick warning. Some of the movies use 4Kids terminology in the subtitles in the Manga UK releases. Unfortunately, Movie 6 is one of them (it's specifically Zolo, but I wanna say some of the attack names are affected). It's likely Manga UK just used translations provided and didn't do much editing to them, as some of these movies were released during the period 4Kids held the license (which isn't unusual for Toei's translations to use dub terminology in them, as it was common for Digimon's Toei Internal translations to use these, for example).

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that I'd recommend the other three big films in the same breath as 6. This one is a good film, period, whereas the other are more like good 2 -hour One Piece mini-arcs with lavish production values. Still fun to watch if you already like the series, though.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
It would be nice if any of the OP movies outside of the newer ones got a proper release. Funi has really pissed me off in the last year as a giant OP fan and a dub fan in particular.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that I'd recommend the other three big films in the same breath as 6. This one is a good film, period, whereas the other are more like good 2 -hour One Piece mini-arcs with lavish production values. Still fun to watch if you already like the series, though.

If you're a fan of the series, you'll enjoy them, all I really ask for with anime movies

OP
OP
TheChuggernaut
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's where I'm at. Any other One Piece film that's good is good if you're a One Piece fan, but this is just straight up a great film.

May 13, 2019
I've read this movie is an allegory to Hosoda's time in Ghibli.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Howl Moving Castle.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah its great. its a really good outsider take that maintains the spirit of the series. looks fucking beautiful too.

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're a fan of the series, you'll enjoy them, all I really ask for with anime movies

Oh, for sure. Just saying that this one is a bit more standalone, both in terms of what's required to know beforehand to understand it and what you can get out of it if it's your only contact with OP.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

It was Howl's Moving Castle. I remember because hearing and that thinking how Howl was a letdown and how different it could've been.

Wapol is one of the worst villains to me next to Gecko Moria, so him being replaced makes me want to watch it more.

Just fyi, he's still on it, but he's downgraded to more a lackey. I would explain more, but I don't want to give too much away.

I wanna say there was one, but I can't remember if it's still floating around on the internet. Though it could've also been an off hand comment when the subject came up too, but it's been awhile.

WAYYYY back when I was a OP die-hard I posted on the Arlong Park forums. I was perusing wikis and stuff and thought I saw something about the initial confrontation between Luffy and the Baron was even MORE brutal in the theatrical release but censored in the home video release. I then found a Japanese interview and asked for someone on the forums if they could translate but someone, who was fluent and would usually report on events and such just said, "Damn, this guy is so full of himself." and... Nothing else. So yeah, I'm certain there's something out there! Keep in mind this was probably a good decade ago.

Yeah the Alabasta movie is BAAAAAD. I mean it was so hype because we got to see Funi dub it with the new cast but Movie 9 is way better. I still need to see Z and Gold.