• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4_wSy8DO94&t

www.gameinformer.com

One Piece Odyssey Preview - A Promising Maiden Voyage Through Well-Charted Seas - Game Informer

We recently went hands-on with One Piece Odyssey for a couple of hours, exploring the game's first two chapters, to learn more about this exciting JRPG.

Even with my relatively little One Piece knowledge, it's easy to see how much care developer ILCA has put into taking this franchise into RPG territory. Whether it ends up being a hit in the fandom remains to be seen, and the same goes for how authentic to One Piece as a franchise Odyssey is. But if my two hours of hands-on time demonstrate anything, it's that Odyssey is shaping up to be a unique and exciting JRPG, and one players should keep an eye on, One Piece fans or not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkpx1gQ9UF4&t

I'm largely a fan of JRPGs, but part of me hopes Odyssey won't stop at the few evolutions I got to experience so far. Either way, I'm looking forward to continuing my pirate adventure when One Piece Odyssey is released on January 12.

View: https://twitter.com/Solfleet/status/1602320089499303936

www.inverse.com

'One Piece Odyssey' could finally be the epic game the series deserves

'One Piece Odyssey' is a wildly ambitious new direction for the franchise, with plenty offer JRPG newcomers and veterans alike.

All the little systems and mechanics in One Piece Odyssey seem overwhelming at first, but the first few hours of the game do a good job of introducing things incrementally, so that everything fits together surprisingly well.

Tsuzuki stresses that One Piece Odyssey is meant to be approachable to players that don't typically play JRPGs, and my three hours with the game certainly give me hope it might live up to that dream. There's plenty of complexity for long-time turn-based fans, and plenty of references for One Piece fans. Nevertheless, the game's deliberate approach to its story and systems make it easy to pick up and play. It remains to be seen if its story and systems can remain interesting for dozens of hours, though.

During a brief time in the densely populated capital city of Alabasta, each NPC was unique and had a job to do that made the One Piece city feel alive and immersive. While exploring the game's overworld, players can switch between playable characters on the fly, which can help uncover items or unlock areas other characters cannot access. The level of attention to detail seen in One Piece Odyssey's combat and its world is an excellent sign that the game will be a must-play for fans of polished turn-based JRPGs and a compelling introduction to those unfamiliar with Luffy and his Straw Hat crew.

noisypixel.net

One Piece Odyssey Preview - A True Pirate Adventure

The One Piece franchise spans many forms of media. From manga to anime, the series seems to know no end. The video game adaptations are no different as they

One Piece Odyssey offers an adventure that many fans have yet to experience. Delivering this through the RPG genre was a bold move, but one that will pay off as a memorable One Piece gaming narrative. The battle system is unique yet straightforward, and the world is begging to be explored; I couldn't ask for more. Outside of the opening hours, there's still much to discover, and I look forward to diving in and getting the most out of this pirate adventure.

One Piece Odyssey is coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC via Steam on January 13, 2023.

wccftech.com

One Piece Odyssey Hands-On Preview #2 - A Trip Down Memory Lane

Wccftech's second hands-on preview with One Piece Odyssey focuses on the loss of Luffy and crew's memories and how to recover them.

While One Piece Odyssey will be an original tale for Luffy and the Straw Hat Crew, expect to spend a lot of time exploring and revisiting past memories to help restore their prior abilities. In order to repair the Hysteria broken memories, players will revisit past adventures and locales throughout their time spent on Waford and Memoria. Water 7 and Alabasta are but two locales revealed this early on but anticipate a wide array of locations to revisit. Unfortunately, Wano seems to be off-limits for what's to come in One Piece Odyssey despite the arc both beginning and ending during the whole development cycle of this upcoming JRPG.

The wait to see if One Piece Odyssey is the real deal won't be much longer, as Bandai Namco has confirmed that the latest of Luffy's adventures will be released on January 12th, 2023. One Piece Odyssey will be available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S|X, and PC.

www.siliconera.com

Previews: One Piece Odyssey Feels Like the Start of Something Good

While it's systems aren't wholly original, One Piece Odyssey feels like a solid foundation for future One Piece games.

From what I experienced of One Piece Odyssey, it could prove to be an interesting RPG and an enticing new adventure for long-time fans of the series. Despite its fairly simple combat system, due to its use of positioning and character types, it could potentially allow for some interesting strategic play. That said, One Piece Odyssey feels like it could be the start of a slew of other RPGs of a similar vein for the series.

www.gamesradar.com

One Piece Odyssey hands-on preview: A celebration that seems worthy of the franchise

One Piece Odyssey walks a fine line between new and old

For once, I am actually excited about a One Piece video game. That's possibly the highest praise I can give One Piece Odyssey after my hands-on time with it. The complexity of its layered systems is worrying, and there's plenty of the game I haven't seen that might not work as well as what I have, but it feels like an adventure worth going on. What I have seen absolutely commits to the purpose of the game as One Piece Odyssey feels like a bit of the unknown mixed with nostalgia, functionally and mechanically, and is better for it.

www.sportskeeda.com

One Piece Odyssey press preview - An amazing tribute to Oda’s classic anime

Recently, Bandai Namco invited me to San Diego to get hands-on with One Piece Odyssey, the upcoming turn-based RPG set in Eiichiro Oda. It is a turn-based RPG.

While I have not caught up with the anime, this game made me want to do so. One Piece Odyssey is a brilliant title, and the decision to push it back to January 2023 was correct in hindsight. It's a fitting tribute to the 25th anniversary of One Piece. A gorgeous game with sharp, easy-to-understand gameplay, One Piece Odyssey is exactly what I hoped it would be.

www.shacknews.com

One Piece Odyssey feels like Dragon Quest on the high seas

After going in expecting a standard anime action game, One Piece Odyssey is shaping up to be a surprisingly deep turn-based RPG.

One Piece Odyssey is looking to surprise a lot of people when it releases next month. However, there's still more that fans can look forward to prior to the game's arrival. The upcoming Jump Festa event, set to take place on Sunday, December 18, will feature some new announcements related to the game. After that, it's just a few more weeks before Monkey and his crew set sail for adventure. One Piece Odyssey will release on PC, PlayStation, and Xbox Series X|S on Friday, January 13 with a playable demo set to come exclusively to consoles on January 10.

Please closed if old

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
It's good to see that the first game I'll be buying in 2023 is turning out nicely. I really do hope that this is the first truly great One Piece game.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've slowly been working my way through the manga and already have this pre-ordered. I'll be playing it day 1 regardless but is there a chapter I should be aiming for to avoid spoilers?

Oct 25, 2017
Original story, it's just there is a memory island that lets the cast see past events from their perspective.

From what I gather, it's a bit before Dressrosa since everyone is together but Jinbei hasn't joined the crew yet.
Jinbe didn't officially join until midway through Wano. Best bet is that this takes place between Whole Cake and Wano. If Snakeman and Zeus show up, then we'll know.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Please be good. Dragon Quest but One Piece has the potential to be fantastic

And if it is good, I want Wano DLC. Make Jinbe and Law playable

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Positive reviews, seems like a good team involved too! But I have no familiarity with One Piece or One Piece games. Is this likely to be a 70 game and good for people who like One Piece. Or more in the 80s and would be fun for people who like JRPGs who don't know much about One Piece.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3dgb9j.png

This might actually be good?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Positive reviews, seems like a good team involved too! But I have no familiarity with One Piece or One Piece games. Is this likely to be a 70 game and good for people who like One Piece. Or more in the 80s and would be fun for people who like JRPGs who don't know much about One Piece.

It seems good for people who like Dragon Quest

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for this one, I have a great feeling about it. I know it's probably one of those titles that drop in-price pretty quickly but I can't resist picking it up at launch (the bonus steelbook for pre-ordering only sweetens the deal).

Only a month away now!

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I played the Demo at PAX West, I thought it looked nice and was fun enough from that small snippet. There are a lot of things going on during the battles which makes it interesting. There are like separate groups on the field which almost gives it a tactical vibe.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I just wish they went with a different art style. I'm so completely over the bad cg plastic look that every OP game has had.

Puddi64

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 3, 2022
I do think this one will score in the 80s, it looks really solid and seems to have a lot of content. As a fan of both One Piece and Dragon Quest, it feels practically made for me.

OP
OP
Dale Copper

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DxuSnNqnpQ&t

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA8M19_BZhQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89DR9s5wrWo&list=LL

www.cgmagonline.com

One Piece Odyssey Preview: An Experience Worthy of The Franchise

One Piece Odyssey delivers an experience ripe with lore, adventure and battle, in a way only One Piece can.

One Piece Odyssey manages to bring the universe of One Piece into a JRPG, and so far, the game looks promising. With familiar faces, creators and voices, fans of the series will feel right at home in the game, while new players have a great new way to dive in. One Piece Odyssey's playable demo releases on January 10, 2023 for PS4, PS5 and Xbox Series X|S ahead of the game's official release on January 13th.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
Still bummed they went with the default Fishman Island outfits for the crew. Everything else about this looks genuinely great though, taking it in a Dragon Quest-inspired direction seems like a perfect fit for a One Piece RPG.

OP
OP
Dale Copper

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTF52nrWWGk&t

www.comingsoon.net

One Piece Odyssey Preview: A Devil Fruit-Powered RPG

ComingSoon's One Piece Odyssey preview

Every aspect of One Piece Odyssey looks to be intelligently designed in a way that's simultaneously welcoming and rewarding. The RPG combat is simple to understand but appears to have enough new layers to stay interesting even for veterans of the genre. Small innovations and tweaks have made a solid formula even better and this has all the potential to be one of the best and most ambitious anime game offerings in recent memory if the finished product keeps the same level of quality throughout.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwAUO3JuB_w

You can speed up the battle speed btw from the previews.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Looks promising. Though I really want a One Piece game where you play as a entirely new pirate crew and maybe characters from the series make appearances

OP
OP
Dale Copper

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018

I played One Piece Odyssey on a boat | RPG Site

One Piece's latest video game offering is quite a departure, one that has potential.

I'm not sure what we can fully expect when One Piece Odyssey pulls into port January 13th, 2023. Based on the slice I've had a chance to play, there are good signs. Odyssey might not fully capture the attention of hardcore RPG fanatics, but I don't think its trying to. Accessibility seems to be the focus, to try to appeal to as many One Piece fans as possible even if they aren't typically fans of turn-based RPGs. I'm excited to see how the full game will play out, and I think they're onto something here. While I'm not entirely sure it'll change the game, with the strong focus on story, characters, and cutscenes I think this game will have a lot to offer for a section of One Piece fans that haven't felt very represented with the games released so far. The taste of the game was filling, enough to quell any sea sickness that came from the rocking of the room caused by the waves.