• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
OPOD_header_mobile_new.jpg

GR: What considerations, if any, were given to players that maybe aren't as familiar with One Piece lore as others? Is there any sort of recap or something like that for players that, for example, are only learning about Water Seven for the first time through One Piece Odyssey?

Tsuzuki:
Of course there is! In anticipation of players who are new to One Piece, we have plenty of "Grand Logs" – which are a collection of videos where you can review events that the Straw Hat Crew experience in the manga and anime, in a way that is unique to this project. Our biggest goal is that players who are not that familiar with the manga and anime will be able to enjoy the game with ease, and will be encouraged to revisit the manga and anime to see (or relive) the adventures of the Straw Hat Crew!

Which seems like a thing they should do with One Piece getting more popular worldwide, the movie doing better than any MHA movie over here in the states, the movie doing well in every region/country it's been released in and the impending Netflix series.

Suzuki also mention the difficulty of making this game.

GR: Given the anniversary of the franchise, the popularity of One Piece Film: Red as well as the anime and manga generally, and the impending Netflix adaptation, it really feels like there's never been more pressure to get a video game adaptation right. Was this on the team's mind as they developed One Piece Odyssey?

Tsuzuki:
Yes! There has always been pressure from fans all over the world on adapting the original works and anime into a game. For me, I had the opportunity to adapt One Piece into a game on One Piece Pirate Warriors 4. I've experienced that expectation firsthand, and I'm eager to take that challenge again through this project.

For One Piece Odyssey, we focused on creating a One Piece world that is enjoyable for everyone – in an RPG format, which is never an easy task as the game needs to resonate with long-time fans, along with those who just learned about the series. With new contents such as the One Piece FILM RED movie, and the anime episodes currently available on different platforms such as Netflix, we believe more people have got the chance to learn about One Piece a little bit more – and we also hope that even the newcomers can feel the same enjoyment through One Piece Odyssey.

www.gamesradar.com

One Piece Odyssey devs on its enduring appeal and the difficulty of adaptations

25 years later and One Piece is still going strong

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can already STRONGLY suggest you to read the manga instead, if you want to catch up. Or to watch the anime.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was indifferent at first but now I'm cautiously optimistic about this. Been awhile since I played a turn based game.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
If the videos are anything like the other games they won't be a good substitute

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People should read the manga! I started my third time through again a few weeks ago, and am at Water 7 again. Love this series so much.

Also looking forward to this game. Really hope it turns out good.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I can already STRONGLY suggest you to read the manga instead, if you want to catch up. Or to watch the anime.

Read the manga.

I don't think it's remotely reasonable to dedicate the time necessary to getting caught up with One Piece with the anime alone. The problem with One Piece as an anime is it's pacing, sometimes taking 3 episodes to get through 2 pages. The filler is oddly well paced, to the point where it sometimes feels out of place, which makes even suggesting skipping it hard.

Also, I don't think this game is going to be the compendium people think it's going to be. I saw people discussing the alterations to Robin's Water7 moment and while it makes sense in the terms of the game, it lacks the impact from the manga or anime.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I started just following the series proper after playing Pirate Warriors 3. As good as this catch up could be, I doubt it'll be able to really replicate the plot from the series in a catch up format.
That said, its still cool to add something like this to the game, because there will be people that probably just want to play the game without wanting to go through the entire manga/anime just to catch up.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Would anyone really not up to date with One Piece ever play this game lol

I mean it's being billed as an entry point. Most of the video games are billed as entry points. Hell, most anime based video games are billed as entry points.

I just don't think this is going to be a very good entry point.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
This should be a hate crime
Maybe if i had to also catch up with Detective Conan at the same time which also has over a thousand chapters last i checked. You have to make hard decisions in life on what to spend your time on and reading manga is more time-efficient than watching anime imo.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Maybe if i had to also catch up with Detective Conan at the same time which also has over a thousand chapters last i checked. You have to make hard decisions in life on what to spend your time on and reading manga is more time-efficient than watching anime imo.

Add in Hajime no Ippo! I have like 900 chapters to go but it's fine lol

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Just read the manga if you want to fully invest into the story. No way this game will convey properly water 7, impel down, etc.

Veil

Jun 4, 2022
I mean it's being billed as an entry point. Most of the video games are billed as entry points. Hell, most anime based video games are billed as entry points.

I just don't think this is going to be a very good entry point.

Oh I'm sure the marketing of this game won't say "DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE MANGA", still odd that someone would choose this

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Just read the manga anyway because it's a fantastic series and it's all on the Jump app for the low low price of $1.99 a month.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Just read the manga anyway because it's a fantastic series and it's all on the Jump all for the low low price of $1.99 a month.
The value proposition of the Jump app is insane. Nothing else I'm paying for can compare with the dollar to entertainment ratio of that thing.

I really can't even imagine what it would be like to play something like this without any prior knowledge of One Piece. You'd have to be a person very comfortable with just rolling with it haha. But man, to play and enjoy a game like this would have to peak your interest in the manga/anime, right?

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I can already guarantee that whatever they're doing to get people caught up won't be sufficient.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
That just reminded me... I dropped one piece (the anime) during the dressrosa arc, shit was so long and boring and nothing was happening most of the time... I kind want to get back to it but blergh I forgot a lot of stuff, it's been too long 😩

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
The attitude around long series is so odd to me. It's not a job. You read it if you find it entertaining lol. Your objective isn't to catch up (except in this very specific instance if you want to play this game), it's to enjoy the ride.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Would anyone really not up to date with One Piece ever play this game lol
I played the Unlimited Cruise duology (Thriller Bark/Sabaody depending on the game) when our dub was still at Skypea and seeing all those new characters actually got me really motivated to watch the anime subbed and catch up. I'm sure a lot of people started watching the show because of Film RED too, so it's not that weird.

For example the first time I saw Monster Chopper was as a secret boss and it was still an amazing surprise:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQM2CvlUj6c&t=07m00s

That said, that game's approach was more like showing you the characters and then having a small dialogue before the fight to put you in context about how the characters feel about them, since most of the plot was independant from the canon story. So these dialogues were never a substitute to reading/watching the manga/anime like the cutscenes in Pirate Warriors were.

I think I prefer the first approach because in the end I went completely blind into what actually happened during W7/TB/SA, but I can understand why these kind of resumes exist, the same way we have anime movies of the different arcs that remove everything besides the setting and the main conflict & fights, or why both the manga and anime add flashbacks when bringing up old plot points again.

It's not ideal, but you don't want the players to feel lost if you're actually telling a story related to those old arcs.

Edit:
I'm still hoping they'll manage to include some stuff from Wano, RED or even some of the previous movies, but seeing how they're actually recreating certain islands, I imagine they wouldn't want to include characters that feel out of place. Never say never, though...

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Just read the manga anyway because it's a fantastic series and it's all on the Jump app for the low low price of $1.99 a month.
Some people can't because is region locked.

MangaPlus has it for free in more regions, but you can't reread chapters

The attitude around long series is so odd to me. It's not a job. You read it if you find it entertaining lol. Your objective isn't to catch up (except in this very specific instance if you want to play this game), it's to enjoy the ride.

Also this. You read a manga if you find it fun, it's not a chore lol

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yea it's weird but I get it, the biggest barrier for engaging with a lot of stuff is just finding the motivation to actually start it, and stuff like One Piece with its 1000+ chapters/episodes make that motivation harder to find

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
Orrrr... I'll just continue pretending I somewhat know what it's about and just never catch up with it haHAA.