• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏

464135479009214484.png

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
I've made it to the Sasuke Retieval Arc, and it's clear that Kishimoto didn't have anything close to what ended up being the Naruto endgame in his head at the beginning. Between wildly escalating powers and flat out contradictions of events, there's plenty of stuff from Part 1 that gets rewritten by the end.

Compared to One Piece, where Oda has been really good about giving himself leeway to reinterpret something from when it's initially hooked at compared to a full reveal. He also displays more confidence about having a planned ending to the series, even if it may have started out in broad stroke at the beginning or even have changed wildly. We're in a place where One Piece will likely feel like a cohesive story by the end, which the medium and even the author insist isn't the case.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

That shit was making the rounds on my feed today. I'm still dying lmao.

Sweet can't wait to watch this.

Someone explain to me why I'm rewatching the entirety of Naruto.

I never even liked it that much
It's funny I was just talking with a friend about this series today. Anyway most of it sucks for me but the highs are still good.

Just saw this lol

Yea I dunno, none of the suspects I have in mind have done anything remotely suspicious. Like at best, Carrot is technically the closest to being suspicious due to her general absence and lack of injuries during the Zou flashback, but as you've noted, none of her actions since then have ever been a cause for concern. Then stuff like her never having ventured out to sea before the WCI arc just makes it impractical to give it anymore thought. At best, there's this panel of her and Wanda in Ch. 806 remembering the destruction Jack caused, where I guess you could view it as Carrot feeling guilty about something lol, but it's a huuuuuge reach:

qVvd9e5.png

And on top of that, there is no motive I can think of (that's actually been hinted at anyways) as to why a Mink would betray their own people. If the thought process is to make the traitor a Mink readers would actually care about, you only have Carrot, Wanda, Inuarashi, Nekomamushi, an Sicillian (I guess...) to choose from, except all of them have obvious reasons as to why it couldn't be them. If it's someone completely random, well, there's no way to really guess it correctly, since none of them have acted suspiciously either as far as I can see.

Even the retainers, namely Kiku and Kanjuro, don't work as suspects because it wouldn't explain how the Beast Pirates specifically knew that only Raizo was there, much less how to get to Zou to begin with. Also if Inuarashi's suspicions about it being due to a Vivre Card are indeed Oda speaking through him as to how they found Zou, then said traitor would have to be on Zou itself so that Kaido's crew would know where to go. Also if it's correct, then that greatly lowers the possibility that someone betrayed the tribe unwittingly.

All that's left is Law's crew, particularly Bepo, but that wouldn't really make sense either for a number of reasons.

But yea, it's quite the mystery. At least the build-up to the time travel reveal had carefully laid out hints that people could pick out. As far as I can tell, this seemingly has nothing so far.
Imma just state my crack pot theory right here. There is no traitor on zou period. if you recall back when we first see the citiy in Zou there are giant stone mountains with what look like dwellings carved into them. We never see anyone stay inside those places or even get mentions of what they were there for. It is my belief that they were originally put there hundreds of years ago to house dragons. and the reason they are empty now is because Wano chased out all of the dragons a long time ago with their firefox sword style. So the traitor is just a dragon that lived on Zou a long time ago and just told kaidos men how to find it. Also this is why Zou is an ally to Wano due to their thankfulness of throwing out the dragons.
Ryuma created the firefox style too

oh hey top of the page
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
Tangentically related: I was just talking about it while watching some of Season 3 with friends tonight that My Hero Academia feels like the refinement of both Bleach's modern life/culture settings and Naruto's focus on these spunky gifted kids with lots of team play between them. It still feels like it is trying to find its "big" hook even now but the ride has been fun and its mostly off the strength of how much fun the characters are.

This also reminds me of something I did recently to better internalize the latter thought I listed above. I was wondering where One Piece was 200 chapters in (MHA was at chapter 200 when I fully caught up again) and it's fucking shocking how dense One Piece's world felt by that point (It was literally Luffy vs. Crocodile round 2 + Water Luffy).

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I... did watch filler hell Naruto.

Like, 80% of it, before I learned that it was filler hell.

I want to try the Curry of Life

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imma just state my crack pot theory right here. There is no traitor on zou period. if you recall back when we first see the citiy in Zou there are giant stone mountains with what look like dwellings carved into them. We never see anyone stay inside those places or even get mentions of what they were there for. It is my belief that they were originally put there hundreds of years ago to house dragons. and the reason they are empty now is because Wano chased out all of the dragons a long time ago with their firefox sword style. So the traitor is just a dragon that lived on Zou a long time ago and just told kaidos men how to find it. Also this is why Zou is an ally to Wano due to their thankfulness of throwing out the dragons.

How did you make the jump to dragons lol

In jump alone, World Trigger, Black Cover & My Hero Academia are all improvements on the Naruto formula.

Never read the other two, but I disagree concerning MHA. Or more accurately, I've said time and time again that MHA has a better foundation than Naruto in various aspects, but at the same time I'd still put Part 1 Naruto above it without question. And I say that as someone that has massively soured on the series since it ended lol

It still feels like it is trying to find its "big" hook even now but the ride has been fun and its mostly off the strength of how much fun the characters are.

By big hook, you mean a standout arc basically?

This also reminds me of something I did recently to better internalize the latter thought I listed above. I was wondering where One Piece was 200 chapters in (MHA was at chapter 200 when I fully caught up again) and it's fucking shocking how dense One Piece's world felt by that point (It was literally Luffy vs. Crocodile round 2 + Water Luffy).

Yea at that point I was completely hooked into One Piece's story. The idea that this little group of pirates were attempting to save an entire country was just mindboggling at the time.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
Never read the other two, but I disagree concerning MHA. Or more accurately, I've said time and time again that MHA has a better foundation than Naruto in various aspects, but at the same time I'd still put Part 1 Naruto above it without question. And I say that as someone that has massively soured on the series since it ended lol

Your wrong, but it's okay. I forgive you.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your wrong, but it's okay. I forgive you.

Nah, but it's the thought that counts I suppose.

Not gonna lie I just wanted to drop the Ryuma thing in there so I just made something up. Not even sure if Zou has mountains lmao.

Lol

EDIT:

Well, we know that Inuarashi and Nekomamushi were captured in Wano, yet somehow they not only escaped, but made it to Zou. Maybe they were brainwashed for all we know? While it's hard to think of an arc primarily dealing with Zoan users having access to that kind of ability, snakes do have that myth (and it's occassionally shown in media, like The Jungle Book) about them that they have the ability of hypnosis.

Last edited:

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
By big hook, you mean a standout arc basically?

Yes and no. I just feel that MHA has literally every ingredient going for it at current but has been weirdly "safe" at the same time. Part of it might just be the structure of current arcs, but then there are little moments that make me realize that 200 chapters in, everything is still a preamble for something that could and should pop off at any second.

Yea at that point I was completely hooked into One Piece's story. The idea that this little group of pirates were attempting to save an entire country was just mindboggling at the time.

I really cannot say it often enough that for as legendary as Arlong Park was and personally touching as Baratie could get, One Piece didn't become One Piece™ for me until Alabasta. It to this day occupies my subjective #1 arc spot because of how tremendous it all felt. The trek across the desert, learning about the people's plights, the locations (Alubarna/Rain Dinners being especially whoa to me), the crew really starting to develop their personal M.Os (Luffy being all "RUSH THE MAIN DUDE", Zoro starting to pull out his wild destructive capability, Nami/Usopp's craftiness, Sanji's insane run as the crew's black ops member, and Chopper starting to get used to what it meant to be a part of this), the emotional swings culminating in what is still, in 2018, my favorite finisher in One Piece for just how relentless and satisfying it was to behold (even moreso with the anime team's choice of music for the scene) and then everything related to THE departure and Straw Hat 5.5/the Straw Hat that almost was.

There are so few things in any media that get me to really just smile this dumb ass "I am still 12 years old forever and ever" grin. Rurouni Kenshin (before I had to learn how to deal with problematic creators), Super Mario Bros. 3, Matilda, Super Smash Bros. 64, hearing Juicy play anytime I'm walking through Brooklyn, and the Alabasta Arc of One Piece are in this pantheon. Even just typing this out has me smiling so much thinking about that arc.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no. I just feel that MHA has literally every ingredient going for it at current but has been weirdly "safe" at the same time. Part of it might just be the structure of current arcs, but then there are little moments that make me realize that 200 chapters in, everything is still a preamble for something that could and should pop off at any second.

I know exactly what you mean.

I really cannot say it often enough that for as legendary as Arlong Park was and personally touching as Baratie could get, One Piece didn't become One Piece™ for me until Alabasta. It to this day occupies my subjective #1 arc spot because of how tremendous it all felt. The trek across the desert, learning about the people's plights, the locations (Alubarna/Rain Dinners being especially whoa to me), the crew really starting to develop their personal M.Os (Luffy being all "RUSH THE MAIN DUDE", Zoro starting to pull out his wild destructive capability, Nami/Usopp's craftiness, Sanji's insane run as the crew's black ops member, and Chopper starting to get used to what it meant to be a part of this), the emotional swings culminating in what is still, in 2018, my favorite finisher in One Piece for just how relentless and satisfying it was to behold (even moreso with the anime team's choice of music for the scene) and then everything related to THE departure and Straw Hat 5.5/the Straw Hat that almost was.

There are so few things in any media that get me to really just smile this dumb ass "I am still 12 years old forever and ever" grin. Rurouni Kenshin (before I had to learn how to deal with problematic creators), Super Mario Bros. 3, Matilda, Super Smash Bros. 64, hearing Juicy play anytime I'm walking through Brooklyn, and the Alabasta Arc of One Piece are in this pantheon. Even just typing this out has me smiling so much thinking about that arc.

That reminds me, I loved this during my reread:

vbIR6Vw.png

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
Man, even though I'm definitely more manga than anime at this point, the way they just animate the SHs as a whole just collapsing in a back ally #Done with everything...

That was another one of those little moments where I was happy to see it in motion just because you could really feel the fatigue and recognize how big what they pulled off was.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
so I'm lurking the toonami thread aight and someone posts this funny ass clip from some show called diamond unbreakable and that shit had me gasping for air

where can I watch it? dub preferably.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
so I'm lurking the toonami thread aight and someone posts this funny ass clip from some show called diamond unbreakable and that shit had me gasping for air

where can I watch it? dub preferably.

Diamond is Unbreakable is from the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure series, also known as "Part 4". Jojo is amazing, and I'd highly recommend checking out the other 3 parts (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure covers Parts 1 and 2, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders covers Part 3). You can find it all on Crunchyroll.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Naruto was my shit back then, but I fell out of love with it hard even at the beginning of the timeskip. Eventually dropped it during/after the Pain invasion arc, I think and never got around to read it beyond a few chapters.

Also, Naruto's fugly Shippuden outfit didn't help; Jiraiya's idealized version of him was a tease like no other, just change the colour scheme to fit his orange one or something:
mHWp28o.jpg

Anyways, back to the usual spoiler schedule this week, right?

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
What the fuck

I was elated as hell that he finally got a new outfit, his orange jumpsuit was trash! Adding some black to it helped MASSIVELY
Dunno, I always felt like it was two sizes too small for him and still somehow made him look unfit.

I kinda like the trash jumpsuit if only due to nostalgia, pls don't hate.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (dub) and I keep getting sad every time Bradley and unnamed radio room guy show up. Maaan, Sengoku and Blackbeard...wonder who they'll get to replace them.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, it doesn't hold up a well when everything from the past 7 years iterates on its formula. In jump alone, World Trigger, Black Cover & My Hero Academia are all improvements on the Naruto formula.
It's weird for me because I would also say all three of those are better than Naruto but it's because they lack the lows. And so it feels weird to think that Naruto has higher highs for me but those lows hurt it so much that I'm willing to put those three ahead of it in terms of quality.

(I wonder if I find those Naruto highs so high merely because I watched it before those 3 other series and if people today with experience with them who would start Naruto wouldn't feel the same)
What the fuck

I was elated as hell that he finally got a new outfit, his orange jumpsuit was trash! Adding some black to it helped MASSIVELY
Yeah the Part II outfit is a big improvement for me too. Though it grew on me over the years, as a kid who wanted COOL looking characters, Naruto's Part I design seemed almost lame compared to stuff like what the Jonin got and what Sasuke and Neji had (or Gaara's outfit in the Kimimaro fight).

Oct 27, 2017
Naruto is actually one of my favourite Shonen protags I think its the only series where the protag is my favourite character

And early Shippuden through to Pein is some of my favourite ever Shonen. I know I know burn me at the stake but its the truth dammit. Luffy up there too among fav protags

Puruzi

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I really liked Naruto as a character before all the destiny reincarnation bullshit near the end. I always liked underdogs, but then that shit happened and I was done with liking him.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked Naruto as a character before all the destiny reincarnation bullshit near the end. I always liked underdogs, but then that shit happened and I was done with liking him.
He was never that though. The Ninetales was always the most overpowered thing about Part 1, boy was literally walking around in a world of knives with a tactical nuke.

Puruzi

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
He was never that though. The Ninetales was always the most overpowered thing about Part 1, boy was literally walking around in a world of knives with a tactical nuke.
I mean yeah, but he was still treated poorly by the people around him for awhile and I wanted him to succeed. He did, and more people were treating him better and he had more people that cared and I liked that. Then he became ninja jesus reincarnated, destined for greatness from the beginning. I just didn't like it

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Naruto is actually one of my favourite Shonen protags I think its the only series where the protag is my favourite character

And early Shippuden through to Pein is some of my favourite ever Shonen. I know I know burn me at the stake but its the truth dammit. Luffy up there too among fav protags
Naruto Uzumaki is my actual favorite Shonen MC. Such a good character and to be able to see him grow and endure so much was great. And for me too it's the only series where the MC is my favorite and it sure didn't start that way, he had to earn that spot up against a lot of Naruto characters who had easy initial advantages for me because "oh my god he's so goddamn cool" lol. A lot of my favorites in that started cool and stayed cool but when I think about how I would answer if someone asked 8yo me "Is Naruto Uzumaki cool?" and how different that is today, I can't help but appreciate his development.

Yeah Naruto stopped being an underdog way before the god stuff. By the end of the Chunin Exams, he's essentially the top genin already lol.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Luffy and Hinomaru from Hinomaru Zumou are probably my favourite Shounen protagonists. Luffy because despite his general tactical incompetance he's a fun entertaining character and one of the few MC I feel genuinely earns his position as leader of the group and the extreme devotion from his crew members (most of the time it feels very forced and that the only reason the core cast is following the MC is because well he's the MC). You understand why the SH would throw their lives away or travel to the ends of the world for the guy.

Hinomaru because because at his core he's an entertaining character to fellow but there's also a sense of realism that evolves over time that's very different to most protagonists of his type. He's also very much a case study in the deconstruction of toxic masculinity with a natural heartwarming relationship intimate relationship with the female lead that's down right non-existent in current Shounen Jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.