• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Reyes
Pekoms is pretty dapper but Mafia boss Doffy just can't be beat.

tumblr_mcyy345WTB1rpjp69o1_500.gif

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Doffy is my favorite villain. So good! I can't wait to get to Dressrosa in my re-read. I actually just saw his introduction again towards the end of Jaya (I'd forgotten that so many big shots were introduced in that particular arc since they're not actually on the island but the timing of the various introductions does make a lot of sense).

latest

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Best dressed pirate in the New World.
Him and his brother are easily the best dressed Marine and Pirate in the Grand line.

Fufufufufu!

Easily one of the best characters in the series.
Gotta agree guy is charismatic and threatening as hell. Not a lot of characters in One Piece manage to pull that off as well as he does.

Doffy is my favorite villain. So good! I can't wait to get to Dressrosa in my re-read. I actually just saw his introduction again towards the end of Jaya (I'd forgotten that so many big shots were introduced in that particular arc since they're not actually on the island but the timing of the various introductions does make a lot of sense).

latest
Yea he's great definitely a highlight of any Dressrosa read... Also you best not think I'm gonna let you slip by and drop a Jaya mention without asking you how you liked it did you?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
That One Naruto thread had a comment that got me thinking about One Piece and my love for it again. I really enjoy how well connected the islands are post Thriller bark. Before that I always got the vibe that all the islands and governments were relatively stand offish self contained places with some contact with other places but not much. After that arc it becomes genuinely harder to find places that don't have some connection to at least one other place in the world of One Piece. I seriously think it is impressive how Oda managed to pull this off as well as he did. I used to enjoy One Piece so much because it was always great seeing how different characters affect each other. While also seeing how their interactions effect the world around them. Cut to nowadays and I get to enjoy all that on top of the benefit of looking at the islands/countries interacting with one another. Shit feels nice and it fits like a glove for the most part

Forgive me if that was a bit to incoherent. I am tired as hell but I wanted to get that off my chest.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cantaim One of my personal joys is having a million things to look forward to at like all times. Even in Wano, where everyone's coming to a head, there's still stuff like Elbaf, the 4th Road Poneglyph, Weevil, Reverie, etc. etc.

Also another Naruto thread got made just now lol

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Cantaim One of my personal joys is having a million things to look forward to at like all times. Even in Wano, where everyone's coming to a head, there's still stuff like Elbaf, the 4th Road Poneglyph, Weevil, Reverie, etc. etc.

Also another Naruto thread got made just now lol
Legit that feeling of always having something to look forward to is why I've gotten so into One Piece. Being a great series helps but I swear not many stories get me as excited as One Piece when it comes time to think about what happens next.

Oh shit it's about the ending. imma grab a chair and go in

Oct 27, 2017
I high-key still love Naruto despite it's very very obvious and grating flaws for a lot of different reasons but I also won't ignore said flaws so I just gotta steer clear of Naruto threads because they 99% consist of Naruto hating/stanning

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
What I always found interesting from "big World" shounen's with a lot of locations, characters, and histories there's always threads of "I didn't get this", "this doesn't make sense", so on but I never see things like that for One Piece. There's always a feeling that if the info isn't already readily available that it's coming at some point. The history of most islands are explored, the people get pasts and development, it's all there for you.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What I always found interesting from "big World" shounen's with a lot of locations, characters, and histories there's always threads of "I didn't get this", "this doesn't make sense", so on but I never see things like that for One Piece. There's always a feeling that if the info isn't already readily available that it's coming at some point. The history of most islands are explored, the people get pasts and development, it's all there for you.

"Wano's timeline makes no sense"

*Ch. 919 comes out

Iirlhz8.gif

Oh shit it's about the ending. imma grab a chair and go in

I burned out long ago, though occasionally I'll say something.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
So I restarted watching the Skypiea arc. I'm still on Jaya, getting ready to fly to the sky.

Episode 151 is awesome! An anticipation of what was about to come and got me hyped those days.
Doflamingo and Kuma's first appearance, and they wouldn't be back in many years.
Oda is a genius!!

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
So I restarted watching the Skypiea arc. I'm still on Jaya, getting ready to fly to the sky.

Episode 151 is awesome! An anticipation of what was about to come and got me hyped those days.
Doflamingo and Kuma's first appearance, and they wouldn't be back in many years.
Oda is a genius!!

You mean Tanjiahdo Lofulamingo and Bisoromi Bear ?

Those bad scanlations never get old

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017

Oda is a genius!!
I am actually rereading the manga and just finished the Skypiea arc. My god it's so good, Noland, Shandora, the bell. Everything about it is just amazing.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yea he's great definitely a highlight of any Dressrosa read... Also you best not think I'm gonna let you slip by and drop a Jaya mention without asking you how you liked it did you?
I enjoyed it a lot. Cricket and his boys are obviously really good. The introduction of Blackbeard and his crew is just stellar. And also quite remarkable when you consider that these folks introduced as complete goofballs are probably the last bosses of the series. I love the way they just care about bounties there and how that ties into the way they treat Luffy, leading to that amazing "100 Million Berry Man" chapter. And obviously the Bellamy punch is fantastic but this time I had an even greater appreciation for them not fighting at first. It puts a lot more value on every single fight in the series when we have such a clear example of a situation where the main characters just thought the people in front of them were simply not worth their energy.

That One Naruto thread had a comment that got me thinking about One Piece and my love for it again. I really enjoy how well connected the islands are post Thriller bark. Before that I always got the vibe that all the islands and governments were relatively stand offish self contained places with some contact with other places but not much. After that arc it becomes genuinely harder to find places that don't have some connection to at least one other place in the world of One Piece. I seriously think it is impressive how Oda managed to pull this off as well as he did. I used to enjoy One Piece so much because it was always great seeing how different characters affect each other. While also seeing how their interactions effect the world around them. Cut to nowadays and I get to enjoy all that on top of the benefit of looking at the islands/countries interacting with one another. Shit feels nice and it fits like a glove for the most part

Forgive me if that was a bit to incoherent. I am tired as hell but I wanted to get that off my chest.
1000% agree.

YES!! It's something I started appreciating much more about One Piece when I realized in some other series that as an arc was ending, I had no clear idea what was meant to be next. In One Piece, you can enjoy what's in front of you while always having very exciting stuff to look forward to, all brilliantly contextualized by what you read before thanks to excellent set ups.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
That's how they were translated in the manga by fans? I cannot believe it XD
How the hell did "Donquixote" turn int "Tanjiahdo"?

I found it, this is hilarious!
XUMtkJw.png

You should check out Xusasu Basasu too.

I am actually rereading the manga and just finished the Skypiea arc. My god it's so good, Noland, Shandora, the bell. Everything about it is just amazing.

Yes ! Still my favorite saga after all this time. Everything is so One Piece. It's a bit self-contained, but that's what makes it awesome. (On the contrary, it's harder to enjoy Punk Hazard alone, without Dressrosa)

We got:
In Jaya:
-A first look at two new warlords
-A first look at an all-powerful world government (the gorosei)
-A first look at both Sengoku and Tsuru
-A first look at our main antagonists : the Blackbeard Pirates (alongside what is imo the greatest quote/panel in all of OP)
-A glimpse of what was to come in regards to Doflamingo (with his mark and Bellamy)
-We learnt about Sanji being from North Blue
-We learnt about "emerald city", which will certainly be important later
-First bounty for Zoro, Luffy exceeding 100M

In Skypiea:
-We discovered a whole new civilization, and the city of Gold. Both of these things hinting at how big the OP world is, and the later basically confirming the existence of the Emerald City (placed side by side in Bellamy's speech)
-We learnt that some devil fruit have an advantage on others (Gomu gomu vs Goro goro)
-We discovered that Roger could "read" poneglyphs
-We had a first look at Haki (in the form of Mantra, later being revealed as Observation Haki)
-The crew obtained a huge power up for both Usopp and Nami with dials (and wavers, which will be used later by Franky)
-We also discovered our third race of human-like beings, with the Shandians/Sky People, hinting once more at how huge and diversified the world is. The first two being the Fishmen and the Giants.
-We saw how "alive" Merry was, which eventually led to the events of Water 7.
-On a more subjective level, the flashback of Noland is one of the best in OP

And, it's the arc that has the most this feeling of adventure and discovery (that was a bit lost with some later arcs such as Enies Lobby, Impel Down, Marineford and WCI).

It also gave us the Enel cover story, in which we learnt that there were a race libing on the moon, and that the automata(/Enel) are living there now.

I'm probably forgetting about some other stuff, but yeah, I love Skypiea

Oct 25, 2017
When he gives his life up to fly a nuke into the sky getting the blast head on...no wait

When he protects his comrades in a prison against a guy with deadly poison...no wait

When he takes a ass kicking and than proceeds to take even more pain that's supposed to kill anybody...no wait

When his soul is ripped out...no wait

When a lightning bolt comes crashing down covering an entire island...no wait

A man dies when he's forgotten

Status
Not open for further replies.