• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Zoan fruit part 1

• Ushi Ushi no mi(Bison

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ushi Ushi no mi (Giraffe

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Tori Tori no mi(falcon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tori Tori no mi(Phoenix

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • Neko Neko no mi(leopard

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Zou Zou no mi(elephant

• Ryu Ryu no mi(Allosarus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Toei has basically doubled its length with filler at this point and it's still not over.

Terrible episode btw. One well-animated sequence doesn't make up for the fact that they just did yet another episode of Luffy getting beat up for 10+ minutes while ending it right before the actual good shit's about to happen.

If we're talking about chapter-to-episode count, it's about the same. Took 20 chapters to get to the fight's conclusion and it will take about 20 episodes.

And there wasn't only one well-animated sequence, there were multiple scenes that stood out that were mostly animated by one guy.
Are you sure you watched the same episode?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we're talking about chapter-to-episode count, it's about the same. Took 20 chapters to get to the fight's conclusion and it will take about 20 episodes.

Yea, if you look at the air dates, the manga at that point and where the anime's currently at have both taken around 5 months to get where we are. So no, definitely not "double the length".

And again, this is one of the rare things the anime is justified in expanding upon, since the fight actually does take a long ass time to finish lol

It's a double episode next week isn't it?

Nah that ended up not being a thing, the people that suspected it was a double episode said they got it wrong

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking about straight content though, not just chapter/episode/week count. Even then though the anime's definitely going to end up longer considering the last two episodes only covered like half a chapter each.

In terms of sheer content, yes they've definitely made this fight twice as long just with added scenes of Luffy getting his ass kicked

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
It feels longer because of the jumps to team Sunny, and you can't read at your own pace. You're on Toei's Wild Ride and you just have to deal with it. Looking forward to a Katakuri Vs Luffy super cut.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can't just brush aside any criticism as "Toei hate" lol, it's super justified. The pacing is horrible. Me and Azure J watch new episodes with a group of friends who are mostly anime-only and everyone hated this ep

No one said otherwise about the pacing, we ain't brand new here, just pointing out it has been the same length as the manga.

And you guys hating it is a shame, but clearly it's subjective at the end of the day. Not much else to say.

Are we getting Snake Man next week?

No. Next week is finishing up Ch. 893. Snakeman is in Ch. 895, so a few more episodes.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm talking about straight content though, not just chapter/episode/week count. Even then though the anime's definitely going to end up longer considering the last two episodes only covered like half a chapter each.

In terms of sheer content, yes they've definitely made this fight twice as long just with added scenes of Luffy getting his ass kicked

But it's hyperbolic to rate this particular episode as "terrible". When I think of a recent terrible One Piece episode, I think of episode 838 which had poor animation, poor art, poor storyboarding, and felt dragged out more than usual.

Remember, this is a fight that goes on for about 10 hours. Luffy vs Katakuri was always going to have its fair share of extended content (which a lot of people were looking forward to because of how long the fight goes on and how much of it we don't see), however the anime had around 3 breaks between September and now. The fight would have ended naturally without those breaks.
Only thing I really agree on is that there's been too much of an effort to focus on Luffy and Katakuri in episodes where the focus isn't needed.

Dec 28, 2018
As somebody who dropped the anime a while back because of the pacing, I'm curious if Toei has been doing a good job with the WCI and if it's worth watching. More importantly I'm curious if they've been doing the Luffy and Katakuri justice since I really liked that fight in the manga.

Oct 26, 2017
As somebody who dropped the anime a while back because of the pacing, I'm curious if Toei has been doing a good job with the WCI and if it's worth watching. More importantly I'm curious if they've been doing the Luffy and Katakuri justice since I really liked that fight in the manga.
The answer to both is yes.
Even with how long the fight has been and some repetitive scenes, it's been done justice.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

WCI is frankly the best the anime has been since pre-timeskip. The pacing issues are never, ever going away (though they are more clever about it as of late), but there is a noticeable improvement in animation, the direction, etc., all namely due to the new director I'd imagine. There was a bit of a lull from the stretch of the Cracker fight to the Luffy vs. Sanji special, but from that point onwards it's been pretty enjoyable. A far cry from the traumatic Dressrosa days...

The anime has a lot of little touches that makes certain moments more enjoyable than its manga counterpart, like Big Mom's introduction:

Stuff like Pedro's death that didn't land as well as it could have in the manga are vastly improved in the anime.

As for the Katakuri fight, yea it's overall been done justice. There's already been a few episodes aired where I was able to unironically get hyped for them. And the upcoming Snakeman climax is something that they have surprisingly gone out of their way to hype up (and apparently preview at Jump Festa, though no idea what happened to that...), so I'm not worried about that either, especially with some of the names I've heard are working on it.

I ain't ever consuming One Piece as an anime-only fan again, but as a manga reader, I kind of enjoy it more than the manga. Now I actually look forward to it each week alongside the manga as opposed to when I used to borderline watch it out of obligation. It's an arc that definitely benefited from being animated, from all the vibrant colors, to the singing portions, etc.

I imagine those who only bother with One Pace will find it even more palatable.

Dec 28, 2018
WCI is frankly the best the anime has been since pre-timeskip. The pacing issues are never, ever going away (though they are more clever about it as of late), but there is a noticeable improvement in animation, the direction, etc., all namely due to the new director I'd imagine. There was a bit of a lull from the stretch of the Cracker fight to the Luffy vs. Sanji special, but from that point onwards it's been pretty enjoyable. A far cry from the traumatic Dressrosa days...

The anime has a lot of little touches that makes certain moments more enjoyable than its manga counterpart, like Big Mom's introduction:

Stuff like Pedro's death that didn't land as well as it could have in the manga are vastly improved in the anime.

As for the Katakuri fight, yea it's overall been done justice. There's already been a few episodes aired where I was able to unironically get hyped for them. And the upcoming Snakeman climax is something that they have surprisingly gone out of their way to hype up (and apparently preview at Jump Festa, though no idea what happened to that...), so I'm not worried about that either, especially with some of the names I've heard are working on it.

I ain't ever consuming One Piece as an anime-only fan again, but as a manga reader, I kind of enjoy it more than the manga. Now I actually look forward to it each week alongside the manga as opposed to when I used to borderline watch it out of obligation. It's an arc that definitely benefited from being animated, from all the vibrant colors, to the singing portions, etc.

I imagine those who only bother with One Pace will find it even more palatable.

Well I kinda assumed that the pacing issues would always be prevalent no matter what, but glad to hear that they've improved the animation and direction at least. And now after watching Big Mom singing it really makes me hope that Kaido sings as well in the anime, same with Blackbeard and Shanks. And good to hear that the anime improved Pedro's death, even more glad to see yet another person saying that Toei has been doing that fight justice. Think I might start binge watching the anime to get caught up, sounds like good stuff all around. Also sorry for the double post.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The official translation is out: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-929/chapter/17611

It makes it yet again ambiguous whether or not Orochi has met Komurasaki before. Meh, whatever at this point.

Also Orochi's saying that they had to give him a battleship this time (for this current deal/meeting they're having I guess), and that next time they'd have to offer up Vegapunk. This is different from the previous translations, where it stated that Orochi got battleships in their previous deal, but that this time they'd have to give them Vegapunk. Kind of confusing, but I guess the official translation lowers the chances of Vegapunk being in this arc after this chapter.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Orochi may be betting alot on his alliance with Kaido, but it seems he's not as pathetic as say, Spandam.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
To expand on that, Oda immediately showed off how Spandam wasn't shit. He was basically a souped up Helmeppo.

Orochi shot a damn Cp0 agent in the face.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think there's a good likelihood that Orochi is genuinely strong despite being a coward as well. There has to be a reason why Toki made that prophecy about his downfall, afterall. He can't be just a weak guy.

I do think it's possible he wasn't able to match Oden though until he joined up with Kaido.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Orochi will be mid card he'll be just strong enough where it'll be hype when one of the Wano samurai defeats him. While the pirates deal with Kaido.

OP
OP
Blackleg-sanji1
Oct 25, 2017
Yessss let's go!!
Spider-Man_%28Miles_Morales%29.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.