• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite Zoan fruit part 1

• Ushi Ushi no mi(Bison

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ushi Ushi no mi (Giraffe

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Tori Tori no mi(falcon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tori Tori no mi(Phoenix

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • Neko Neko no mi(leopard

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Zou Zou no mi(elephant

• Ryu Ryu no mi(Allosarus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a gatekeeper, but I know for a fact that spoiling major reveals or deaths for yourself will hamper your enjoyment in some capacity and will inevitably lead to regret.

If someone is reading wiki articles and watching YouTube videos, that shows that they're interested. In that case, just start watching or reading.
Everyone feels like they need to rush things and get on the same level as the rest of the fandom. Just take your time and enjoy the journey.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a gatekeeper, but I know for a fact that spoiling major reveals or deaths for yourself will hamper your enjoyment in some capacity and will inevitably lead to regret.

If someone is reading wiki articles and watching YouTube videos, that shows that they're interested. In that case, just start watching or reading.
Everyone feels like they need to rush things and get on the same level as the rest of the fandom. Just take your time and enjoy the journey
Research done into this actually shows this is the opposite.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797611417007

Personally, I think that this varies to a significant degree to what kind of story we're talking about. Christopher Nolan's Inception, for example, is frustrating on rewatches in some ways because of all the time spent explaining how the dream machine works is vital for first viewing, but not subsequent ones.

But in terms of emotional or intellectual enjoyment of stories, knowing how it turns out ahead of time is actually beneficial as you appreciate all the foreshadowing a lot more. Atleast in my experience.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this on AP/Oro:

kokeshi.png

Oct 26, 2017
Research done into this actually shows this is the opposite.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797611417007

Personally, I think that this varies to a significant degree to what kind of story we're talking about. Christopher Nolan's Inception, for example, is frustrating on rewatches in some ways because of all the time spent explaining how the dream machine works is vital for first viewing, but not subsequent ones.

But in terms of emotional or intellectual enjoyment of stories, knowing how it turns out ahead of time is actually beneficial as you appreciate all the foreshadowing a lot more. Atleast in my experience.
I assumed it depends on a case-by-case basis.
But in a long-running adventure story like One Piece, you can only experience something fresh once. Learning about (either intentionally or accidentally) recontextualizes some of the appeal of the story.
Take Luffy's Gears, for example. It takes a looooooong time for Luffy to get his first genuine powerup, so seeing him pull out the usual shonen hero power-up card that you would've expected to see earlier on but never got throws the reader off-guard. It also represents a dramatic shift in Luffy's fighting formula.
If you already know about Gear 2nd beforehand, you're investing all that time into anticipating that technique to show up and won't let your guard down.
Same thing applies to Ace and Whitebeard after all the years of "fake deaths".

Movies are different because the viewer engagement and time investment is short.

Magneton

Banned
Jul 31, 2018

Just got finished watching this cool video from GrandLineReview. It's a great rebuttal to the idea that Luffy defeated Katakuri solely thanks to "plot armor."

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
But in a long-running adventure story like One Piece, you can only experience something fresh once. Learning about (either intentionally or accidentally) recontextualizes some of the appeal of the story.
It does, but according to studies, it doesn't do so negatively. It's either nuetral or positively. The idea of spoilers is more about the idea of losing something irrecoverable, because once you learn a spoiler, it's hard to unlearn it.

However, the implication of that is that the loss of that opportunity is something that is special or uniquely good. I'm just saying that studies show that this seems to not be the case statistically speaking. Meaning that experiencing the story WITHOUT spoilers isn't better than experiencing or significantly different WITH spoilers. It just feels like it is.

Take Luffy's Gears, for example. It takes a looooooong time for Luffy to get his first genuine powerup, so seeing him pull out the usual shonen hero power-up card that you would've expected to see earlier on but never got throws the reader off-guard. It also represents a dramatic shift in Luffy's fighting formula.
If you already know about Gear 2nd beforehand, you're investing all that time into anticipating that technique to show up and won't let your guard down.
This is an interesting example for you to use because it relies on knowing an incomplete spoiler, that a person would know about Luffy's Gears but not when he gets them.

That, and the spoiler free experience in your example relies on a different sort of spoiler, genre expectations. A truly spoiler free person, like for example someone whose reading OP as their first shonen, wouldn't be expecting any powerup at all in the early parts of the story.

Anyway, for my own experience, I offer this counterpoint: I probably would have enjoyed Pudding's plotline in WCI a lot more if I had known what she'd end up as when the arc started. As you know, I got really excited by the idea of a villain who is willfully and knowingly playing an intellectual game that thought Sanji was an utter tool and got burned when it was revealed what Pudding was. If I had been aware how it would have turned out, I probably would have been enjoyed it more or atleast disliked it less since I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Also from my own experience: The thing that made me finally read One Piece was Ace's death. I knew bits and pieces of the series before, but it was actually hanging around the Manga thread and reading the reactions to Ace's death that made me read it, so Ace's death is actually the impetus that made me read the whole thing in the first place. I can't tell you what impact this had on my enjoyment of the manga, but I don't think it affected it negatively. If anything, I think being aware of all the foreshadowing made the reading of the series neater for me.

So, I agree with your general assertion that not knowing spoilers probably has SOME impact on your enjoyment of the series. Studies show this impact is less than what most people think, but I do agree with you that I think it's there. What I'm trying to communicate, however, is that 1. it isn't really that big a deal by most indications and 2. it isn't necessarily a positive impact. It can also be negative.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I disagree entirely. Anyone wanted to do this is more interested in being part of the weekly discussions than actually enjoying the series.
I think it's important to understand that people enjoy things in different ways. There's a bunch of kids these days in Japan getting into One Piece just from the latest chapters.

Oda even mentions this few times in the OBS.

Yoshiaki Sukeno drew nami on his twitter:
sVZpEy9Z_o.jpg
548314784471449610.gif

Oct 26, 2017
It does, but according to studies, it doesn't do so negatively. It's either nuetral or positively. The idea of spoilers is more about the idea of losing something irrecoverable, because once you learn a spoiler, it's hard to unlearn it.

However, the implication of that is that the loss of that opportunity is something that is special or uniquely good. I'm just saying that studies show that this seems to not be the case statistically speaking. Meaning that experiencing the story WITHOUT spoilers isn't better than experiencing or significantly different WITH spoilers. It just feels like it is.
I should probably read that study. I want to know if the material they're using is short-form media or long-form media.
My points are probably colored by my own experiences through the manga and hindsight though.

This is an interesting example for you to use because it relies on knowing an incomplete spoiler, that a person would know about Luffy's Gears but not when he gets them.

That, and the spoiler free experience in your example relies on a different sort of spoiler, genre expectations. A truly spoiler free person, like for example someone whose reading OP as their first shonen, wouldn't be expecting any powerup at all in the early parts of the story.

Anyway, for my own experience, I offer this counterpoint: I probably would have enjoyed Pudding's plotline in WCI a lot more if I had known what she'd end up as when the arc started. As you know, I got really excited by the idea of a villain who is willfully and knowingly playing an intellectual game that thought Sanji was an utter tool and got burned when it was revealed what Pudding was. If I had been aware how it would have turned out, I probably would have been enjoyed it more or atleast disliked it less since I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Also from my own experience: The thing that made me finally read One Piece was Ace's death. I knew bits and pieces of the series before, but it was actually hanging around the Manga thread and reading the reactions to Ace's death that made me read it, so Ace's death is actually the impetus that made me read the whole thing in the first place. I can't tell you what impact this had on my enjoyment of the manga, but I don't think it affected it negatively. If anything, I think being aware of all the foreshadowing made the reading of the series neater for me.

So, I agree with your general assertion that not knowing spoilers probably has SOME impact on your enjoyment of the series. Studies show this impact is less than what most people think, but I do agree with you that I think it's there. What I'm trying to communicate, however, is that 1. it isn't really that big a deal by most indications and 2. it isn't necessarily a positive impact. It can also be negative.

It's circumstantial. Expectations play a role in spoilers since on some level, we all expect a piece of media to go a certain way and that subversion of expectations can elevate or lower the experience.

Let's say that you never were never spoiled on Ace's death and continued to be an active member in manga/anime circles, would you have ever given One Piece a chance?
Maybe, maybe not. Probably if someone tried to sell you on the manga without giving away any big spoilers, you might have been more open on giving it a shot. Although, that wouldn't guarantee that you might have made it as far as you have now.

I've reached the point in my life where I don't get too hung up over stuff that's out of my control. I wasn't bothered by newcomers getting into One Piece their own way. It was more like...you can't unlearn details of a story and if the way someone tries to get into a series doesn't work out for them, they can't hit reset and try again completely blind.

On a related side note, I appreciate the live reactions from YTubers like SuperMechaFrieza and UzumakiKhan since they're kinda steadily convincing newcomers that watching all of One Piece isn't scary or dull.

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if you all are up for this but how about we dig up like old posts of ours, let's say one at at time at a older part of One Piece. Maybe something you wrote when you were watching / reading the series for the first time or maybe an impression from a previous arc you'd like to share.

It'll be like a fun way to relive our journey as One Piece fans together.

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
June 19th 2013

I'd like to start off with that I like the use of "Energy Steroids", it made the Fishman putting up somewhat of a fight against the Straw Hats believable. I at first thought that Hody was just going to be automatically above Arlong and other Fishmen, which would have been not believable.

I really enjoyed the backstory about the Fishmen, and I was also worried once again they were trying to shoehorn a earlier One Piece arc, the Nami/Arlong stuff, but it actually worked out really well, and it explains a lot. I felt the story got kind of deep when Hody said "Nothing" as his reason for hating humans, and it going into the part where it explains how children can be so influenced by the wrong type of people, in which, it becomes who they are eventually and the negative outcomes. It really gives you a lot to think a about.

Now I do admit, the fights in this arc have been pretty bad and non-entertaining. The fight between Luffy and Hody was mostly just Luffy not being effected by any of Hody's moves, then him doing bazooka or a big punch. I also felt that the Officers took way too long to get into the fight, and when they got in, the fights were even weaker than the Hody VS Luffy fight. I was disappointed that Hyouzou lost extremely easy to Zoro, it seemed like ever since he blocked Luffy's attack earlier on, and all of the things he was doing, with the character's demeanor, it would lead into a good fight. However, it just turned into Zoro doing one or two things and that's pretty much it, even despite him eating all of those Energy Steroids.

I wasn't expecting Luffy to ask Jimbei to join the crew, that'd be kind of interesting if it happens later on.

And something tells me about the prediction of Luffy that someone else is going to destroy the island, but Luffy is just standing there in the ashes. Probably his choice against Big Mam.

Other notes:

I like Fukaboshi, felt he was a great character.
I like how they explained the reason for Brook's musical 'genjutsu', I'm use to them not explaining how they learn their techniques, so it's nice to see.
I'd appreciate if the characters would stop praising each other in combat since it wastes a lot of time.

All in all, the writing was pretty good throughout the arc, my only real issue was the fighting, but the writing is good so it redeems that, at least. Looking forward to the New World!

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Let's say that you never were never spoiled on Ace's death and continued to be an active member in manga/anime circles, would you have ever given One Piece a chance?
Er....Well, I don't want to misrepresent my position here. One Piece was one of those things that was in my backlog to some extent, but I was just putting it off reading it because I just didn't feel like reading it at the moment. I have tons of series like that, short and long form. My buddy is making me watch Your Name this weekend because I've been putting it off for like a year or more. What Ace's death, and the subsequent timeskip, provided was a sort of "end point" for the series. Not a real end point for the story, obviously, but ace's death basically meant that if I were to start reading, I would react a climax for the part I started reading, and Part 2 would be a new adventure I could start with the rest of the community.

Ace's death didn't so much sell on one piece so much as it gave the excuse to start a series that I probably would have gotten to eventually.

It was more like...you can't unlearn details of a story and if the way someone tries to get into a series doesn't work out for them, they can't hit reset and try again completely blind.

And I fully agree with you on that. Spoilers, once learned, can't really be unlearned (unless you just have a spotty memory or something, I guess).

The real debate being had is how valuable is that if, as the science says, that the degree to which you enjoy a given story doesn't change whether you were spoiled or not.

Assuming that knowing spoilers doesn't damage the experience of OP, then is it a problem for anyone to spoil themselves on the details?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Ch. 924 is any indication, I don't expect Big Mom to make it to the Udon prison mines anytime soon. Luffy didn't show up there till the next day, so it may take that long as well. Or at least nighttime.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue the reason research ends up showing spoilers don't generally have a negative impact on enjoyment of a work is because the thing being spoiled is gonna go one of two ways:
1) The spoiled thing in question is bad and dumb (either immediately or in the context leading up to it).
The twist here falls into this category. The water thing is cool for the first 5 minutes, but then you gotta wonder how a species so smart as to invent interstellar travel would drop on a planet that for them: rains acid, is covered in acid, the creatures there drink acid, etc.. They'd never have touched down to begin with.
A spoiler here doesn't really ruin anything because it was already bad. If anything, it just lets you avoid getting expectations up that something good will come from the setup.

2) The spoiled thing in question is good and holds up under scrutiny. I'll use One Piece since we're here. The reveal that Ace and Luffy weren't biological brothers makes sense. There aren't any huge plot holes beforehand that would make you scratch your head. Even the subject never coming up is fine because nobody ever asks Luffy and the gov't doesn't want it out there in the first place unless they can follow up that announcement with his obituary lol. Knowing that ahead of time won't take anything away from the plot, and you can probably catch some setup that went over peoples' heads the first time around.

I'll also say this about spoilers; if a plot event in a work must be a secret, lest you never be enjoyed by the thing again, then that work (in my opinion) cannot be more than a 7/10. I should be able to reread or rewatch something, and a work that fits the aforementioned description is just inherently worse on every subsequent viewing. As a huge fan of murder mysteries (not true crime, but the schlocky detective stuff), I appreciate the work put into a story even more when I already know who did what.

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Er....Well, I don't want to misrepresent my position here. One Piece was one of those things that was in my backlog to some extent, but I was just putting it off reading it because I just didn't feel like reading it at the moment. I have tons of series like that, short and long form. My buddy is making me watch Your Name this weekend because I've been putting it off for like a year or more. What Ace's death, and the subsequent timeskip, provided was a sort of "end point" for the series. Not a real end point for the story, obviously, but ace's death basically meant that if I were to start reading, I would react a climax for the part I started reading, and Part 2 would be a new adventure I could start with the rest of the community.

Ace's death didn't so much sell on one piece so much as it gave the excuse to start a series that I probably would have gotten to eventually.

And I fully agree with you on that. Spoilers, once learned, can't really be unlearned (unless you just have a spotty memory or something, I guess).

The real debate being had is how valuable is that if, as the science says, that the degree to which you enjoy a given story doesn't change whether you were spoiled or not.

Assuming that knowing spoilers doesn't damage the experience of OP, then is it a problem for anyone to spoil themselves on the details?
It's really at the end of the day, everyone has their own way to enjoy something. We shouldn't get upset if someone isn't conforming to how we enjoyed it.

If you don't mind spoilers and enjoy getting right into the current times, you're just as valid as any other One Piece fan.

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if you all are up for this but how about we dig up like old posts of ours, let's say one at at time at a older part of One Piece. Maybe something you wrote when you were watching / reading the series for the first time or maybe an impression from a previous arc you'd like to share.

It'll be like a fun way to relive our journey as One Piece fans together.
I didn't start posting on forums (mainly the other site and Era) until after I was caught up. :(
I could dig up my hype reactions during the Reverie.

That gave me more insight into this particular topic, as well as Antrax's post below.
This discussion also aligns almost perfectly with the overarching narrative theme of freedom in One Piece.

I'd argue the reason research ends up showing spoilers don't generally have a negative impact on enjoyment of a work is because the thing being spoiled is gonna go one of two ways:
1) The spoiled thing in question is bad and dumb (either immediately or in the context leading up to it).
The twist here falls into this category. The water thing is cool for the first 5 minutes, but then you gotta wonder how a species so smart as to invent interstellar travel would drop on a planet that for them: rains acid, is covered in acid, the creatures there drink acid, etc.. They'd never have touched down to begin with.
A spoiler here doesn't really ruin anything because it was already bad. If anything, it just lets you avoid getting expectations up that something good will come from the setup.

2) The spoiled thing in question is good and holds up under scrutiny. I'll use One Piece since we're here. The reveal that Ace and Luffy weren't biological brothers makes sense. There aren't any huge plot holes beforehand that would make you scratch your head. Even the subject never coming up is fine because nobody ever asks Luffy and the gov't doesn't want it out there in the first place unless they can follow up that announcement with his obituary lol. Knowing that ahead of time won't take anything away from the plot, and you can probably catch some setup that went over peoples' heads the first time around.

I'll also say this about spoilers; if a plot event in a work must be a secret, lest you never be enjoyed by the thing again, then that work (in my opinion) cannot be more than a 7/10. I should be able to reread or rewatch something, and a work that fits the aforementioned description is just inherently worse on every subsequent viewing. As a huge fan of murder mysteries (not true crime, but the schlocky detective stuff), I appreciate the work put into a story even more when I already know who did what.

This is a solid assessment of that research that I didn't take into consideration. One Piece is one of those stories that improves with hindsight and recollection.
Another example is Jaya and Skypiea and how the reveal that the Golden City was up in the sky is still a 10/10.
*shameless plug for my still-in-the-works Skypiea thread*

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Have a huge amount of post on the old forum.
Still i slow down there over the years and when we move here start back posting more .

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
I agree with Koko, enjoy the series in whatever form or way you can. It's hella long, so I won't knock someone for reading a wiki summary and starting off midway or even after the TS. One Piece is one of those series everyone should get into, it's all good shit.

Unless somehow you turned into a chopper stan, then you are not a true one piece fan at all, but the total opposite. You also probably enjoy murdering penguins.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Unless somehow you turned into a chopper stan, then you are not a true one piece fan at all, but the total opposite. You also probably enjoy murdering penguins.

A reminder to everyone that Chopper is on the same intelligence level as Luffy when it comes to recognising his friends. Still want him as your doctor?

KidAAlbum

Nov 18, 2017
Nah the movies are fun adventures with the strawhats seeing them do stuff that isn't in the manga
I guess I just can't care for something that has nothing to do with the overarching story in OP. Even say someone like Foxy gets referenced later on (Noro noro beam).

I'm most likely in the minority.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.