• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite Zoan fruit part 1

• Ushi Ushi no mi(Bison

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ushi Ushi no mi (Giraffe

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Tori Tori no mi(falcon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tori Tori no mi(Phoenix

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • Neko Neko no mi(leopard

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Zou Zou no mi(elephant

• Ryu Ryu no mi(Allosarus

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
But Momo didn't lol is what I'm saying, it's a DF Vegapunk himself created
Or so we thought.

hqdefault.jpg

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Very good chapter. I had thought Yasu's story was told a bit too quickly, but it was wrapped up really well here.
But that SMILE reveal. What I previously thought was a brand name invented by Ceaser and Doffy turned a lot more sinister in a single page.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
One Piece 942:

The Smile Fruit reveal changes everything involving O-Toko and Yasuie during this arc. While nothing really seemed "wrong" with O-Toko and Yasuie being happy/laughing until the recent chapters with O-Toko crying since the characters mostly made jokes/seemed genuinely happy all the time, now you have to rethink everything about their behavior. Looking at Yasuie's past self vs his present, the huge smile also makes him look like a very different character despite still having all of the other characteristics of his past self, so now I'm looking forward to seeing O-Toko when she can show other facial expressions. Hopefully Hiyori will reveal how the Smile Fruits took the people of Ebisu's emotions next chapter (I'm assuming chemicals/factory run off but we'll see). I can't help but think about the Joker from Batman here.

Orochi's stupidity of broadcasting the execution really came back to "bite him"/Yasuie got the "last laugh". Now Orochi's soldiers think he's even more of a joke and the rebels can now all openly go back about their business (while also getting new instructions). In addition, he likely inspired others to want to rebel against Orochi/especially the reluctant characters, maybe even some of Orochi's own soldiers because of how they feel about Orochi being a coward. Yasuie lying about being the Witching Hour boy (I thought this could be another lie, but the soldier saying he showed up too early supports this) is curious though. His true identity alone was all he needed to be arrested, particularly his trade mark hair, so lying about being the Witching Hour boy just to be arrested likely has more meaning than that. This reveal also makes up for Yasuie/the Witching Hour boy being arrested off panel last chapter.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I just remembered the trivia that Pleasures kept smiling no matter what. Everything seems to fit into place.

A Wild Shark Appears

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Seriously though I think Wano has been hitting all the right notes for me. At this rate it's shaping up to be one of my favorite arcs.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
aye man there's no secret this place is shit sometimes but the One Piece people are good folks.

but ayo how do you get a warning but not me? 😂😂 stop fooling with their mamas and sisters bro

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
ANYBODY wanna take over the last pages of the Ot. I'm out
Was this the FF7 thing where people are trying to make a controversy out of nothing? I ducked out when someone accused them of whitewashing Barret. I really don't like the greater community here.

My advice is to bookmark unread thread page, and only use the main pages for news.

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
This chapter was really good. Yasu really just came in and course corrected a billion different things all at once while putting out the best callout post for Orochi. O-Toko got me worked up though. I really can't wait to see how this all resolves itself.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doflamingo and Cesar still causing pain from jail and wherever the latter is
Yep.

It's also great how oda uses time to build up these revelations. That smile bomb drop wouldn't hit nearly as hard if it wasn't referenced as early as sabaody, and if the production hadn't been dealt with all the way back in punk hazard and dressrosa. We became accustomed to the name, and then, years later, in an emotional death scene, oda drops a bomb on why it's called smile, and the pain it causes, in an emotional gut punch

In doing so he gives even greater meaning to the name "Joker," adding yet another layer.

Brilliant.

Oda's a genius. "Doflamingo has a codename Joker. He supplies artificial devil fruits called Smiles. They also cause people to be unable to stop smiling."
It's a simple on-the-nose Batman reference slow played to perfection and layered with other references, details, and plot points for maximum impact. One he's probably had written down for a decade, if not more, yet it's taken hundreds of chapters to reveal in a way that doesn't feel contrived or insulting to the reader.

I love it.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Man....
Pour one out for my homie, Yasuie. Oda is still a master at taking characters that are introduced as comedic relief and fleshing them out tremendously.
I think the translation I read had some errors because I was a little confused with Oden and younger Yasuie talking about themselves in the third person in one panel.
The connection with the Smile fruits is crazy. I kinda took it as a figurative connection, but it would change a lot if the Ebisu Town people were force-fed Smiles.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that that the SMILE thing is going to turn out that Ebisu ended up getting the leftover SMILE fruits that weren't functional, similar to the fruits all the Gifters got just w/o any powers, and ate them purely out of hunger but a side effect gave them a permanent smile on their face.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When somebody tells me I'm not black..it's time to go

Oh no they didn't... What thread?

while putting out the best callout post for Orochi

Something about Yasu straight up calling Orochi a "pest" really spoke to me

Yep.

It's also great how oda uses time to build up these revelations. That smile bomb drop wouldn't hit nearly as hard if it wasn't referenced as early as sabaody, and if the production hadn't been dealt with all the way back in punk hazard and dressrosa. We became accustomed to the name, and then, years later, in an emotional death scene, oda drops a bomb on why it's called smile, and the pain it causes, in an emotional gut punch

In doing so he gives even greater meaning to the name "Joker," adding yet another layer.

Brilliant.

Oda's a genius. "Doflamingo has a codename Joker. He supplies artificial devil fruits called Smiles. They also cause people to be unable to stop smiling."
It's a simple on-the-nose Batman reference slow played to perfection and layered with other references, details, and plot points for maximum impact. One he's probably had written down for a decade, if not more, yet it's taken hundreds of chapters to reveal in a way that doesn't feel contrived or insulting to the reader.

I love it.

Tz4UWPz.png

Oh no they didn't... What thread?

In the FF7 thread, a poster basically said Bleg wasn't black and said he was basically spouting white supremacy talking point.

It all started when a poster thought SE was whitewashing (which is an issue that happens to this day but I don't think it really applies to Barret here atm) Barret even Crossing Eden got involved saying this isn't the case and just more of the fault of the lighting in those scenes since you can see in other bits with Barret it isn't the case.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the FF7 thread, a poster basically said Bleg wasn't black and said he was basically spouting white supremacy talking point.

25cbb6c368b8dae71511b0854dbaed97.gif

It all started when a poster thought SE was whitewashing (which is an issue that happens to this day but I don't think it really applies to Barret here atm) Barret even Crossing Eden got involved saying this isn't the case and just more of the fault of the lighting in those scenes since you can see in other bits with Barret it isn't the case.

I ain't gotta lie, that was my first thought too, but I kept it to myself just in case it was simply the lighting

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Yep.

Brilliant.

I love it.
Well said, he really nailed the execution of it.

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017

y i k e s

I don't really post on forums as much as I did in the time pre-Discord but man, y'all braver souls than I if this is what its like now.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
gaming side is good for two things, crazy nintendo direct hype threads, and getting help with a game in an OT

Status
Not open for further replies.