• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should betting be allowed?

• Yes

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Yes, but no Rebecca avatars

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No, and never talk to me or my son again

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don't even know what's going on here

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Betting is the devil

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear I'm not expecting to see Luffy and Coby teaming up to beat Blackbeard in the final battle or anything, I'm saying that I actually expect Coby to eventually become THE marine to look up to, just like what Garp is right now, and in a similar way that Luffy is looking to be THE pirate in the same way as Roger.

So basically I know that doesn't necessarily mean that Coby/Luffy are going to have the exact same dynamic that Garp/Roger had (so maybe this whole discussion was a bit of a missunderstanding :P), but I think Coby is going to become the succesor of Garp's ideals as a marine and will accomplish an actual change in their structure and way of thinking, in a very similar manner to Luffy and the Strawhats being able to accomplish whatever Roger wasn't able to do when he reached Raftel (which seems to be sort of the implication based on what we've heard from Rayleigh), so that's what I mean when I'm talking about parallels.

Well if that's what you were really getting at, then we are more in alignment there.

When I say he's not the next Garp, I wasn't talking about his ideals, or even a theoretical teamup against Blackbeard, but more his relationship/dynamic with Luffy, how strong he is (I think at best he'll be an Admiral in the epilogue), etc.

I agree that the narrative supports Koby one day being in a position to help reform the Marines, or something along those lines. Though even with that, I just don't necessarily view it as being synonymous as being the next Garp, as Garp hasn't really expressed a desire to do that. Koby, Smoker, and Fujitora (maybe Drake and Kuzan too?) are the only Marines where I would classify them as wanting real change within the Marines. Like Garp's a good guy and all, but he's been kinda helping to uphold the status

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He kinda Tsundered that conversation, but was next seen being a good Gohan and picking up a trade instead.

I mean yea, it won't be surprising when he comes back in some form, he has Luffy's Vivre Card, but he definitely did not actually join the Grand Fleet. Didn't even take a cup or anything.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Damn i didn't know he actually quit being a pirate lol. Was that a cover story panel? I never pay attention to those :/

ah well, hope he lives a good life :)

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Well if that's what you were really getting at, then we are more in alignment there.

When I say he's not the next Garp, I wasn't talking about his ideals, or even a theoretical teamup against Blackbeard, but more his relationship/dynamic with Luffy, how strong he is (I think at best he'll be an Admiral in the epilogue), etc.

I agree that the narrative supports Koby one day being in a position to help reform the Marines, or something along those lines. Though even with that, I just don't necessarily view it as being synonymous as being the next Garp, as Garp hasn't really expressed a desire to do that. Koby, Smoker, and Fujitora (maybe Drake and Kuzan too?) are the only Marines where I would classify them as wanting real change within the Marines. Like Garp's a good guy and all, but he's been kinda helping to uphold the status
I know Garp doesn't seem to give a crap about anything right now, but there's a lot about him that we still don't know. I mean, he basically resigned himself to just be a Vice-admiral because he couldn't stand working directly under the Celestial Dragons and I think he's definetly aware that the only reason he hasn't been fired from the Navy is because of his reputation, so I think he's got some strong convictions to still be a marine officer despite all that.

And also there's the fact that his freaking son became the #1 enemy of the World Government, so who knows what crazy story is hidden behind that. I think that Garp might have played some role in those events, considering he also doesn't like to talk about the specifics of the God Valley incident, in which the Celestial Dragons were also involved in some way.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know Garp doesn't seem to give a crap about anything right now, but there's a lot about him that we still don't know. I mean, he basically resigned himself to just be a Vice-admiral because he couldn't stand working directly under the Celestial Dragons and I think he's definetly aware that the only reason he hasn't been fired from the Navy is because of his reputation, so I think he's got some strong convictions to still be a marine officer despite all that.

And also there's the fact that his freaking son became the #1 enemy of the World Government, so who knows what crazy story is hidden behind that. I think that Garp might have played some role in those events, considering he also doesn't like to talk about the specifics of the God Valley incident, in which the Celestial Dragons were also involved in some way.

Oh yea there's definitely more to know, I'm just saying that as far as I can see, he ain't doing anything where I would say that Koby has something to be a successor over. Honestly they could use some more interactions.

And yes, the eventual Dragon flashback will be awesome.

Samurai 8 is a fucking dud

Give it to me straight doc, how bad is it

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
It's not even in the top 50 manga sales for the week.

Also for a recent series comparison:

Spy×Family vol 2 has sold (109,702) in 1 week.

30. Chainsaw-man #4 (37,276) in 1 week.

A FUCKING CHARCTER BOOK SOLD BETTER
40. Boku no Hero Academia Official Character Book Ultra Analysis #2 (24,687) in 1 week.

Give it to me straight doc, how bad is it

The first two volumes of the series were relesed at the same time as the new One Piece volume and a bunch of others.

> Mashshi Kishimoto of Naruto fame
> Beaten by the latest Boruto volume (65,934)
> Beaten by the newest Chainsawman volume (37,276)
> Beaten by a character book from My Hero (24,687)
> Beaten by the first volume of SpyxFamily released over 4 months ago (23,323)
> Wasen't even in the top 50 best selling manga the week it came out

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not even in the top 50 manga sales for the week.

Also for a recent series comparison:

Spy×Family vol 2 has sold (109,702) in 1 week.

30. Chainsaw-man #4 (37,276) in 1 week.

A FUCKING CHARCTER BOOK SOLD BETTER
40. Boku no Hero Academia Official Character Book Ultra Analysis #2 (24,687) in 1 week.
The first two volumes of the series were relesed at the same time as the new One Piece volume and a bunch of others.

> Mashshi Kishimoto of Naruto fame
> Beaten by the latest Boruto volume (65,934)
> Beaten by the newest Chainsawman volume (37,276)
> Beaten by a character book from My Hero (24,687)
> Beaten by the first volume of SpyxFamily released over 4 months ago (23,323)
> Wasen't even in the top 50 best selling manga the week it came out

Okay that's pretty fucking bad.

Oct 26, 2017
Mr. Morj and Craftsdwarf are honestly the only One Piece YouTubers you all should be caring about when it comes to the analyzing One Piece.

I think parts of the community who read other manga, like Naruto, that were filled to the brim with parallels try to apply that expectation onto One Piece, a manga that's about taking your own path and surpassing the wills of those you've inherited.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ooooof!

But why I would think itd be fairly popular what the hell happened

Surprised myself, even outside of Kishimoto's name, I thought the sci-fi samurai concept would be appealing enough to not have such apparently horrid sales. And as bad/mediocre as it started out, I doubt it's much worse than its contemporaries.

Samurai 8.1 starring Kakashi

Lol

Mr. Morj and Craftsdwarf are honestly the only One Piece YouTubers you all should be caring about when it comes to the analyzing One Piece.

Haven't really watched the latter, but agreed on Mr. Morj. Pretty much cooled off on my whole YouTuber phase I was on during WCI lol

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
samurai 8 feels like it's kishimoto trying to recapture what made early naruto special but he forgot how to do it

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess who's confirmed as playable in Pirate Warriors 4

tumblr_p6hop7Ybyn1r29xi0o1_r2_500.gifv

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Samurai 8 is a fucking dud
yeah i stopped reading after like chapter 4. I was hoping it would get better but it hasn't seemed to.

Really though, after making something as hugely popular as Naruto it would be hard for anything he makes to live up to it. No shame in not being able to with this one.
perhaps i will
Can you think of a big sci-fi manga in Jump?

Dragon Ball, I really wouldn't consider that Sci-Fi

World Trigger? before it changed magazines

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I just find it funny considering the names of all the sweet commanders. Cracker, Smoothie and Katakuri (throw Snack in there too). And is easy to see why the name Katakuri seems a little out of place. I guess potato starch didn't sound badass enough.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I say, Koby will be a better Garp, since he will be willing to challenge the World Government. Garp never liking the the WG, but also still be part of the marines, show, that there was something holding him back. I bet, there is still a big secret around Garp's past, why he never left and also never was let go. Similar how Luffy will finish the plans of Roger, Koby may achieve the change of the marines, which Garp never could do.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I say, Koby will be a better Garp, since he will be willing to challenge the World Government. Garp never liking the the WG, but also still be part of the marines, show, that there was something holding him back. I bet, there is still a big secret around Garp's past, why he never left and also never was let go. Similar how Luffy will finish the plans of Roger, Koby may achieve the change of the marines, which Garp never could do.
That is also definetly what I'm expecting.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Okay that's pretty fucking bad.
To add some further stuff:
The Promised Neverland 1 - 24,380
We Never Learn 1 - 16,014
Yuuna 1 - 29,743

Those three had three-days first weeks, which means they are good comparisons. (It's not fair to compare Samurai 8's sales to those of established series)

Kimetsu also had a 3-days first week, but it did not chart in the top 50 and afaik no one leaked its number. But it had to be between 10k and 16k (most likely 12k)

Some more which did not have three-days first week:
Act-Age 1 - 11622 (5 days, did not make the top 50)
Dr. Stone 1 - 36,075 (6 days)
Jujutsu Kaisen 1 - 28,581 (5 days)
Chainsaw Man 1 - 25,518 (7 days)
(Spy x Family 1 - 39,461 (4 days))

All those series are now established in WSJ. But the reason the likes of Act-Age and Kimetsu were able to stay is because their sales grew, and the editorial board of Jump thought having those series would benefit the magazine as a whole. It's especially impressive for Act-Age as it was often at the bottom of the TOC, meaning it most likely was not received that well at first.
Samurai 8 is not getting cancelled yet. But Kishimoto will have to give it his all if he wants his new manga to last more than 50 chapters

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
whenever somebody posts a wall street journal thread on era (as there is currently) and labels it 'WSJ:...'

my first thought is always 'Weekly Shonen Jump'

why am i such a weeb

Status
Not open for further replies.