• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should betting be allowed?

• Yes

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Yes, but no Rebecca avatars

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No, and never talk to me or my son again

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don't even know what's going on here

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Betting is the devil

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen people bring up some other series when trying to talk about Samurai 8 on twitter like with Act-Age but here the thing, different expectations.

Act-Age isn't a shonen battle series, its a slice of life series so different expectations between it and a battle manga, much less from one SJ has heavily promoted not only before its first chapter but heavily afterwards.

That and shonen jump likes to have many a titles to fill up certain niches that the magazine doesn't have, SJ is filled with battle shonens not so much harem, SoL, etc and they keep them there longer to entice not only current readers but newer ones and hope to get them not only to stay with the new series but SJ

I know Kishimoto has talked about it being a hard sell (a high sci-fi series in Jump) and such but then I hear him talk about needing to do alot of exposition for the series and I'm just thinking thats like the antithesis of what Jump series need to do early on since new series need to hit the ground running and get things moving.

In the first eight Chapters of One Piece:
> Meet Luffy and got his story with Shanks, established not only his dream but a mentor figure and what he wants to do
> Shows that Piracy is dangerous and isn't the work of a hero or for a kid, Luffy gets his signature hat and a goal to strive for with giving the hat back to Shanks
> Chapters afterwards show his power and what he can do now that he is older
> Introduces major antagonistic threat and world structure with marines and a helpful friend in Coby
> Introduced to one of the tri-protagnist in Zoro who fights differently then the main hero and other sword users differentiating himself
> Introduced to Nami our first major female character with a unique introduction

Slam Dunk:
> Sport series not really done before
> Introduced to Sakuragi & Haruko that sets up the premise of the series well and there dynamic
> Second chapter introduces our rival character/second most important character Rukawa
> Akagi the captain is introduced soon after along with Kogure & Ayako
> Teaches us the basics of Basketball (that doesn't go on multiple pages)
> While not a good at all early on we see Sakuragi does have potential and talent, along with being dedicated

Naruto:
> First chapter introduces Naruto what his dream is, his position in the village as an outcast, shows while not a good student and not good at fundamentals he is dedicated
> We learn why he is rejected and shows his dynamic with his teacher Iruka that is heart warming
> We are introduced to the three other protagonist with Sasuke and Sakura and get to see who they are and further glimpses into Sasuke
> Introduced to Kakashi there teacher and shown the gap in skill not only between the main three with each other but between there teacher showing a big gap
> Introduces the importance of team work and being a ninja isn't fun and games people put there lives on the line as Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura pass.

I wonder who is the editor for Samurai 8, does he really try to push Kishi for certain things, because:

Looking here the editor really did help early on to establish Naruto and one of the big things was cutting out alot of exposition, something that clearly Kishimoto isn't doing with Samurai 8.

So it makes me think that Samurai 8 is more distilled Kishimoto then the fruits of not only Kishimotos work and ideas but the guiding hand of an editor

I wrote way to much here didn't I Lotus & Silfer

no chapter this week right?

No Chapter

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018

YP working to prepare those fouls for the storm that will come when OP is #2 at the end of the year

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

YP working to prepare those fouls for the storm that will come when OP is #2 at the end of the year

Are these sales worldwide or only japan?

But man people caring for selling numbers never made sense to me.

Good for yaiba but it got really popular by a fresh hyped new anime.
OP is 20 years old ffs

Still wonder who is gonna be cut from Pirate Warriors 3 to Pirate Warriors 4

People just want chaos
giphy.gif

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Are these sales worldwide or only japan?

But man people caring for selling numbers never made sense to me.

Good for yaiba but it got really popular by a fresh hyped new anime.
OP is 20 years old ffs
Japan only. Worldwide, One Piece is still miles ahead of it. Even with all the hype surrounding KnY, I wouldn't be surprised if in 2019: OP sales in France alone> Kimetsu sales in everything not called japan

I personnaly care about sales, but probably not in the sense you are implying, I just like seeing big numbers (and making calculations to predict stuff).

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Working on Sakura Wars, and honestly considering his health problems near the end of Bleach and his breakdown with Zombieland I can't see Kubo ever going back to a weekly series if he makes another manga.

I actually like Kubo artstyle/drawing (when he didn't go crazy with the white pages), he might me bad at writing but the man knew how to draw.

I actually like Kubo artstyle/drawing (when he didn't go crazy with the white pages), he might me bad at writing but the man knew how to draw.

He can design characters and clothes will give him that, but it will always bother me that when ever Kubo need something fresh, bored or whatever he would just make a new character.

Which is just baffling, I know One Piece has a big cast but Oda is more able to effectively balance the cast and such then Kubo.

The final villain group in Bleach had over 28 villains in the main group

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
bleach would be remembered fondly as a great shonen if it had ended at soul society

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Idk, I remember they were classy back when the MHA reddit surpassed the One Piece one.
True lol

Japan only. Worldwide, One Piece is still miles ahead of it. Even with all the hype surrounding KnY, I wouldn't be surprised if in 2019: OP sales in France alone> Kimetsu sales in everything not called japan

I personnaly care about sales, but probably not in the sense you are implying, I just like seeing big numbers (and making calculations to predict stuff).
honestly I'm the same way. Love looking at data like that and just interpreting it

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
The final villain group in Bleach had over 28 villains in the main group

Still can't believe he went into the final arc probably knowing that they want him to end it and instead of closing plot lines and focus on the important characters he went wild with crazy plots and massive cast that no one cared. Then he dicked around for 2 years in dumb fights until they force him to end it, resulting in a garbage final.

Toriko author on the other hand close everything in 2 years after they force him to end. Focusing on closing the plots and doing satisfying final fights for the main people. And with very good success, it was a good ending.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
my first thought is always 'Weekly Shonen Jump'

why am i such a weeb
Got good news for you
I've seen people bring up some other series when trying to talk about Samurai 8 on twitter like with Act-Age but here the thing, different expectations.

Act-Age isn't a shonen battle series, its a slice of life series so different expectations between it and a battle manga, much less from one SJ has heavily promoted not only before its first chapter but heavily afterwards.

That and shonen jump likes to have many a titles to fill up certain niches that the magazine doesn't have, SJ is filled with battle shonens not so much harem, SoL, etc and they keep them there longer to entice not only current readers but newer ones and hope to get them not only to stay with the new series but SJ

I know Kishimoto has talked about it being a hard sell (a high sci-fi series in Jump) and such but then I hear him talk about needing to do alot of exposition for the series and I'm just thinking thats like the antithesis of what Jump series need to do early on since new series need to hit the ground running and get things moving.

In the first eight Chapters of One Piece:
> Meet Luffy and got his story with Shanks, established not only his dream but a mentor figure and what he wants to do
> Shows that Piracy is dangerous and isn't the work of a hero or for a kid, Luffy gets his signature hat and a goal to strive for with giving the hat back to Shanks
> Chapters afterwards show his power and what he can do now that he is older
> Introduces major antagonistic threat and world structure with marines and a helpful friend in Coby
> Introduced to one of the tri-protagnist in Zoro who fights differently then the main hero and other sword users differentiating himself
> Introduced to Nami our first major female character with a unique introduction

Slam Dunk:
> Sport series not really done before
> Introduced to Sakuragi & Haruko that sets up the premise of the series well and there dynamic
> Second chapter introduces our rival character/second most important character Rukawa
> Akagi the captain is introduced soon after along with Kogure & Ayako
> Teaches us the basics of Basketball (that doesn't go on multiple pages)
> While not a good at all early on we see Sakuragi does have potential and talent, along with being dedicated

Naruto:
> First chapter introduces Naruto what his dream is, his position in the village as an outcast, shows while not a good student and not good at fundamentals he is dedicated
> We learn why he is rejected and shows his dynamic with his teacher Iruka that is heart warming
> We are introduced to the three other protagonist with Sasuke and Sakura and get to see who they are and further glimpses into Sasuke
> Introduced to Kakashi there teacher and shown the gap in skill not only between the main three with each other but between there teacher showing a big gap
> Introduces the importance of team work and being a ninja isn't fun and games people put there lives on the line as Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura pass.

I wonder who is the editor for Samurai 8, does he really try to push Kishi for certain things, because:

Looking here the editor really did help early on to establish Naruto and one of the big things was cutting out alot of exposition, something that clearly Kishimoto isn't doing with Samurai 8.

So it makes me think that Samurai 8 is more distilled Kishimoto then the fruits of not only Kishimotos work and ideas but the guiding hand of an editor

I wrote way to much here didn't I Lotus & Silfer

No Chapter
I don't know why you tagged me in this but I appreciate that you did. The look at what SJ series have to do in their first chapters to grab an audience is something I've become more interested in as of late, after seeing a breakdown on Twitter of why The Last Saiyuki, a series that had great potential, was cancelled and how its first 8ish chapters that are all basically in the same location did it no favors. I can see how Samurai 8 is in a similar position. The first big moment that stood out for me can at like Ch.12 or something. I figured they were releasing the first 2 volumes at once because of how slow of a burn it is but even that has not seemed to help. It's a shame.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
B-Dubs
Come on man.
"Why did you make this thread? We already have *insert thread*?

So yeah, I've thought about making a Shonen Jump OT for a while now. I know there are other manga threads, I'm active in multiple of them, including a general one but from what I've seen on the site and conversations I've participated in, I believe this one still has its place. Beyond wanting to have at least one thread on this site where people can feel comfortable coming in at any time of the week if they like to stick to the official release of SJ manga, I see this thread as a nice place for people who read multiple of the series in Shonen Jump like I do and like to follow and discuss Jump itself as a magazine/platform. The main inspiration for this thread is the ResetERA Toonami thread. Just as that thread has its place among Anime-specific threads and Seasonal Anime threads due to focusing on a particular broadcast, I hope with Shonen Jump's history, popularity, importance and release methods that this one too can have its place among the other manga threads on the site."

Closing it so soon when it's clearly shown to be appreciated in the first few posts, including one surprised at there not being one before, doesn't seem fair at all. I don't see you closing the Toonami thread because "there's already an Anime thread". Let us have a thread for Shonen Jump, let us have one thread on this site for people who want support the official release. The manga thread has purpose beyond just stuff that's brought over internationally under the "Shonen Jump" imprint. I don't see how my thread is redundant and I don't think your decision is a just one.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
B-Dubs
Come on man.
"Why did you make this thread? We already have *insert thread*?

So yeah, I've thought about making a Shonen Jump OT for a while now. I know there are other manga threads, I'm active in multiple of them, including a general one but from what I've seen on the site and conversations I've participated in, I believe this one still has its place. Beyond wanting to have at least one thread on this site where people can feel comfortable coming in at any time of the week if they like to stick to the official release of SJ manga, I see this thread as a nice place for people who read multiple of the series in Shonen Jump like I do and like to follow and discuss Jump itself as a magazine/platform. The main inspiration for this thread is the ResetERA Toonami thread. Just as that thread has its place among Anime-specific threads and Seasonal Anime threads due to focusing on a particular broadcast, I hope with Shonen Jump's history, popularity, importance and release methods that this one too can have its place among the other manga threads on the site."

Closing it so soon when it's clearly shown to be appreciated in the first few posts, including one surprised at there not being one before, doesn't seem fair at all. I don't see you closing the Toonami thread because "there's already an Anime thread". Let us have a thread for Shonen Jump, let us have one thread on this site for people who want support the official release. The manga thread has purpose beyond just stuff that's brought over internationally under the "Shonen Jump" imprint. I don't see how my thread is redundant and I don't think your decision is a just one.
If you'd like a response send a PM. I'm not about to derail a thread arguing with you.

Got good news for you

I don't know why you tagged me in this but I appreciate that you did. The look at what SJ series have to do in their first chapters to grab an audience is something I've become more interested in as of late, after seeing a breakdown on Twitter of why The Last Saiyuki, a series that had great potential, was cancelled and how its first 8ish chapters that are all basically in the same location did it no favors. I can see how Samurai 8 is in a similar position. The first big moment that stood out for me can at like Ch.12 or something. I figured they were releasing the first 2 volumes at once because of how slow of a burn it is but even that has not seemed to help. It's a shame.

Thought you wuld like the post and did have one on Black Clover which is actually has alot introduced by Chapter 8:
> Asta and Yuna are introduced along with establishing there Spell Books (I know its no the in universe term but I'm shitty at spelling it) and there shared dream, past and experiences
> Soon after you get the Magic Knight Captains and meet the best character Yami, you learn about the other Magic knight groups
> Both join there respective Guilds and see the Black Bulls
> Magna is the first major one and we learn about Asta power to cut through magic and such
> Then we meet the main female Noel (second best character) and see her own struggles like she can't control her magic well
> Asta, Noel and Magna have the first real fight of the series as Magic Knights

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Got good news for you

I was one step ahead of you...

maybe a Jump OT will only ever be in our dreams 😔

E: I sent a PM to B-Dubs backing you up

Status
Not open for further replies.