• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Villain Cover

• Volume 21

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Volume 42

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Volume 77

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Volume 87

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
damn that chapter was lit

last page was awesome
JoyBoy suddenly seems a LOT more important now lol. In before JoyBoy is revealed to look like Luffy.

also dang did Franky ever mention meeting Roger???
well, he did get hit by a train

That was a good chapter, it moved around a lot and it was cool revisiting Water 7 after all this time nostalgia hit me hard there

WHO TF IS JOYBOY ODA AND WHATS UP WITH THAT FUCKING BRIDGE AAAAA
I originally thought it was just a fun callback but those stones look like pine glyphs and ROBIN of all people was sent there and now I'm like 🤔🤔🤔

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Last two pages had me genuinely shook, Oda got me again. Tequila Wolf too. This decade is gonna be insane for One Piece.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This flashback is making me fall in love with One Piece all over again.
Franky meeting Oden is such a cool, random little detail, I love it.

I thought it was interesting how Roger's acquisition of the Road Poneglyphs was largely because of good luck. He just happened to bring Oden along with him, and then Neko and Inu tagged along, causing two Road Poneglyphs to practically fall right into his lap. He really is just like Luffy, someone else who has only got this far due to being crazy lucky, but Luffy actually is going to have to go through a lot more trouble to get all four RPs.

And geeze, that Laugh Tale tease is so hype. Oda's just dangling the secret of One Piece right in front of our faces. That's wild after all this time.

Lotus's Proposal

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, it's time to really sit down and hammer out how he handle things going forward.

After thinking it over, I think what makes the most sense for everyone (i.e. the decision that best avoids pissing off people) is to keep all talk of both the spoilers and unofficial chapter releases within spoiler tags.

That way, people who have read the chapter early don't have to hold their tongue until the official release, which can be especially painful/restrictive during break weeks such as this. And then of course, people who have decided to forgo scans don't have to ignore this thread until the official release comes out. So whether it's due to frustration over a lack of a consistent replacement for scans, or because they see this as a prime opportunity to begin only acknowledging the official release, putting the discussion in spoiler tags allows them to feel comfortable with posting here again.

Now, to recap a bit and go over the obvious pros and cons:

Pros:

• People can continue to discuss the chapter freely without worrying about spoiling others until the official release comes out, you just keep it in spoiler tags from now on.

• People that refuse to read scans or don't want to scrounge around looking for a suitable replacement can now safely wait until Sunday and not have to worry about running into any spoilers. They can hopefully feel comfortable in posting in this OT, rather than having to avoid it entirely until Sunday.

• We'd no longer have to worry about an adjustment period in terms of finding a reliable, " permanent" replacement, or hope that people know exactly where to look to find the chapter. Now if you find a translated chapter somewhere, you can immediately bring it up and begin talking about it. (Ideally the first person to talk about the chapter would mention that it's out there, like we normally do)

Cons:

• Both spoilers and scan discussion will all be under spoiler tags. Which would be fine, if not for the fact that people who read spoilers are not necessarily the same people who have no issue reading scans. Therefore, it is entirely possible that someone that has no interest in reading about spoiler pics/summaries may accidentally spoil themselves by clicking a spoiler tag before a scan comes out. The obvious way to prevent this would be to clearly mark your spoilers, but let's be real, everyone is often too lazy to commit to doing this.

• Spoiler tags really suck. It can be real tiresome having to constantly talk about something in tags. Likewise for those only interested in the official release, I know it can be disheartening to look at a page and see it filled with spoiler tags. Not to mention, chances are that those same people will not be interested in going back to click said spoilers to see what has already been discussed, especially if said discussion happens several days before the official release comes out. And naturally people who have already begun discussion will likely not feel inclined to reiterate their exact thoughts on a chapter, as typically no one likes repeating themselves. So the end result might end up fragmenting the discussion somewhat. (But then again, we already are fragmented right now, so meh)
If there any other obvious pros/cons I'm missing, feel free to point them out.

Anyhow, despite the cons, I think this is probably the best way to handle things going forward. We still have plenty of people that have no issue reading (coherently translated) scans, while there are those that are sticking with just the official release from now on. This seems like the best way to please both groups as much as realistically possible. It won't be perfect, but it's clear that a compromise needs to be made.

So that's my proposal, which I see is what we are currently doing right now for this chapter. Thoughts?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I was wondering how this was going to be handled. At first I thought it was weird that we had to change it but seeing that translations are more difficult to find then it's fine to hide discussion behind spoilers.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
honestly we should have been tagging non official release discussion the whole time imo, it was fine before because we all basically used the same source, but now that that's out the window now is a good opportunity to set some better ground rules

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's like a fever dream seeing all these theories that people have been speculating about for yeeears finally be contextualized on the panels

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
it's kinda crazy that after all this time we're finally getting some actual events from roger's voyage

Oct 27, 2017

cpcz

Oct 28, 2017
New Donk CIty
I can't hold the temptation for reading scans : (

I often stop reading One Piece when flashback happens so then I'll read in bulk. But these, these flashback is like opening Christmas present one by one. I can't wait for another. The last panel is a relieve, simple and yet very impactful (at least for me).

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
When tf did Franky meet Roger?? I know he details are filtered through Oda and all, but it's funny that he didn't mention him. Also, it seems really odd for Oda to re-emphasize that he was abandoned. Maybe another round of subtle foreshadowing at play? Or am I just "Crocodile is Luffy's Mom"-ing it...
Your avatar freaked the fuck out of me
What are you talking about? Josuke is a perfectly healthy young boy

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
So that's my proposal, which I see is what we are currently doing right now for this chapter. Thoughts?

As you and others have mentioned, the big problem with putting everything in spoilers is not everyone knows what spoilers you are talking about/not everyone who reads scanlations read "chapter spoilers" in the form of scans or chapter summaries. Even on this page (125) you see nothing but spoiler tags and really have no idea what to click/what "spoilers" people are talking about. This was the same problem people had with putting everything in spoilers back when all Manga discussions were in the Manga community thread on the old forum. So back then we proposed this system:

One Piece 967:

*comments about the chapter*

This way, if you weren't interested in One Piece or that particular chapter of One Piece, but were interested in other Manga posted in the thread, you could avoid what was being talked about. Of course the big issue with this is/was people not paying attention or not knowing how the system works, reading something they didn't want to read accidentally. With how Era Spoiler Tags work, you could enhance this system by marking the spoiler with what chapter you are talking about, but again, as you mentioned people are lazy and will not always do this properly.

I personally feel One Piece is big enough series wise for an official Viz release only thread and a "spoiler" thread, with said spoiler thread having it's own rules for scanlations vs chapter summaries/scans. The other reason I would suggest two threads is because you have the opportunity to re-engage Era members who have avoided this community for years because of their views on scans by creating a new thread for official releases only. By simply changing the rules in this one, you still have said Era members avoiding this thread because of said views but not being aware of a rule change. And by making this community the "spoiler" community, you keep the status quo/everyone who currently participates knows how the rules work and there's less of a disruption.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird we didn't see a glimpse of Robin? We saw Franky and Brook, so I figured we'd see the Devil Child herself.

Also I'm betting that Tequila Wolf bridge is going to end up important in some way.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't mean to quote you red firesorry

What's so damn funny joy boy

Last edited:

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
As you and others have mentioned, the big problem with putting everything in spoilers is not everyone knows what spoilers you are talking about/not everyone who reads scanlations read "chapter spoilers" in the form of scans or chapter summaries. Even on this page (125) you see nothing but spoiler tags and really have no idea what to click/what "spoilers" people are talking about. This was the same problem people had with putting everything in spoilers back when all Manga discussions were in the Manga community thread on the old forum. So back then we proposed this system:

This way, if you weren't interested in One Piece or that particular chapter of One Piece, but were interested in other Manga posted in the thread, you could avoid what was being talked about. Of course the big issue with this is/was people not paying attention or not knowing how the system works, reading something they didn't want to read accidentally. With how Era Spoiler Tags work, you could enhance this system by marking the spoiler with what chapter you are talking about, but again, as you mentioned people are lazy and will not always do this properly.

I personally feel One Piece is big enough series wise for an official Viz release only thread and a "spoiler" thread, with said spoiler thread having it's own rules for scanlations vs chapter summaries/scans. The other reason I would suggest two threads is because you have the opportunity to re-engage Era members who have avoided this community for years because of their views on scans by creating a new thread for official releases only. By simply changing the rules in this one, you still have said Era members avoiding this thread because of said views but not being aware of a rule change. And by making this community the "spoiler" community, you keep the status quo/everyone who currently participates knows how the rules work and there's less of a disruption.
I would be perfectly cool with two threads, but B-Dubs would never allow it

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
When tf did Franky meet Roger?? I know he details are filtered through Oda and all, but it's funny that he didn't mention him. Also, it seems really odd for Oda to re-emphasize that he was abandoned. Maybe another round of subtle foreshadowing at play? Or am I just "Crocodile is Luffy's Mom"-ing it...

What are you talking about? Josuke is a perfectly healthy young boy
I think you are over thinking it.

Whitebeard's whole schtick is picking up Orphans/people with nowhere to go/who need family. Oden was just riffing off that.

also idk why Franky would have never mentioned meeting the Roger Pirates lol. Maybe he forgot lmao

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017

Whitebeard's whole schtick is picking up Orphans/people with nowhere to go/who need family. Oden was just riffing off that.

also idk why Franky would have never mentioned meeting the Roger Pirates lol. Maybe he forgot lmao
i mean we've had plenty of flashbacks, but the straw hats hardly ever talk about their pasts to each other themselves

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird we didn't see a glimpse of Robin? We saw Franky and Brook, so I figured we'd see the Devil Child herself.

Also I'm betting that Tequila Wolf bridge is going to end up important in some way.
We didn't see Brook. The Roger pirates were singing that song, it's a pretty common one at the time.

Are we thinking Whitebeard took/is safeguarding the Fishman Island ponyglyph?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

As others pointed out, we don't really have that option. It was hard enough just convincing them to make a general thread for the official release lol

Oct 25, 2017
15a94e0df4e8045fbe4f392cf50ba03e4ba7a11ar1-811-827v2_uhq.jpg

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
- Wonky translation aside, it's clear that right off the bat, we get what appears to be a tie-in to Chapter 19:

EJ1LUEWUEAUnHyN.jpg

So all this time we've been seeing Buggy throughout this flashback was before he had his Devil Fruit.

- So the Poneglyph locations in the flashback are: One with Big Mom, one on Zou, one on Wano, and another on Fishman Island. Yet in the present day, we know that the one on Fishman Island must have either gotten stolen or moved. How odd...

- Franky having met Oden is such a mindfuck moment lol

- So now there's two separate prophecies that have yet to pass: One where people can travel freely between Fishman Island and the surface world, and another with Luffy/someone wearing a Straw Hat that will apparently destroy Fishman Island

- All this talk about Poseidon reminds me that it's pretty wild that we still have yet to know more about Pluton and Uranus despite being almost 1000 chapters in. The latter in particular we literally know nothing about it other than that it is an Ancient Weapon.

- Though encouraged by Toki, Oden is without a doubt being selfish here in how he literally turns his back on Wano. Between the Scabbards looking a bit ragged, and the surprising detail of factories already having been built, it's very ominous. And yet, it is that same selfishness that plays such a pivotal role. Without his help, Roger doesn't find Laugh Tale. Without that, he doesn't become known as the Pirate King. And without being the Pirate King, he likely wouldn't have the gravitas to spark the Great Pirate Era, meaning that there's a very real chance that Luffy himself could've never become a pirate. I like that there are very real consequences for what Oden chose to do. (Also Roger calling him scum is hilarious)

- Though the flashback mostly washed away any thoughts of the Scabbards betraying Oden, this chapter casually plants a seed of doubt tbh...

- For the longest time, I've been wanting to see who exactly ruled Zou before Inu and Neko. Wasn't expecting a sheep/ram Mink, but that's neat. I wonder what happened to him, he probably died normally I guess, but I wonder if he had any wife (who wore those clothes goddamn it) or children. Him being a sheep/ram reminds me of Priest Yomo, but I can't take it as a given that they're related since Minks apparently can have different looking parents.

- Very interesting that Roger and Oden remark that something huge is being stored on Zou. They definitely aren't talking about the Road Poneglyph, as that's why they came to Zou to begin with. They aren't aware of Zunesha at this time, but the wording seems to imply that Zou is harboring another secret, though said secret could potentially be tied to Zunesha I suppose. Will definitely need to see how the official release handles this section.

- Was nice seeing Pedro again

- If I was Buggy, I'd be livid at the thought of missing out on going to Laugh Tale when I'm so damn close. Shanks is pretty chill about it though, which honestly is not that surprising. That bit about him wanting to go there one day makes me wonder if Buggy and Shanks actually will get to travel there one day.

- The end of the chapter, as well as the Fishman Island section of the chapter, seems to imply that whatever is hidden away on Laugh Tale, and perhaps the ancient weapons as well, belongs to Joy Boy.

- That panel of Roger laughing is instantly one of the best panels in the entire series. You look at it, and you can just immediately tell that Oda has wanted to draw that for years.

- At the same time, the implications of him and his crew feeling compelled to laugh are potentially massive. Is he simply laughing out of a sense of sheer joy? Is he laughing because whatever One Piece, it's something so blatantly outrageous that you can't help but laugh? Or maybe it's less outrageous, but that some aspect of the treasure feels like a bit of a troll? So many questions. I can see why Oda was very worried about accidentally revealing anything, we're literally so close to finding out the truth.

------

I guess with the new rules, I can't really count this as a 2019 chapter. Shame, as it would've been my new chapter of the year. This chapter, more than any other before it, really signifies that One Piece truly is in its endgame.

Again, there's nothing to mention because he didn't meet them...

He only met Oden, who is visibly far away from Roger, and did not give out his name to Franky, who wants nothing to do with pirates anyways.

OP
OP
Reyes
- So the Poneglyph locations in the flashback are: One with Big Mom, one on Zou, one on Wano, and another on Fishman Island. Yet in the present day, we know that the one on Fishman Island must have either gotten stolen or moved. How odd...

It isn't Fishman Island going by the newer better translation scans Roger says, Big Mom has one (which he got), Wano & Zou has one (which he gets in the chapter) and that he has an idea on where the last one is which keeps up the mystery as to where it is as seemingly in current day not even people like Doggy and Kitty know where it is.

When they get to Fishman Island the forest only has two which from Oden says one is unimportant and the other is an apology from Joyboy.

unless I missed something I don't remember anyone remarking in the fishman Island section that the RP was stolen

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why do sanji's pants suddenly become striped in that panel?
It isn't Fishman Island going by the newer better translation scans Roger says, Big Mom has one (which he got), Wano & Zou has one (which he gets in the chapter) and that he has an idea on where the last one is which keeps up the mystery as to where it is as seemingly in current day not even people like Doggy and Kitty know where it is.

When they get to Fishman Island the forest only has two which from Oden says one is unimportant and the other is an apology from Joyboy.

unless I missed something I don't remember anyone remarking in the fishman Island section that the RP was stolen
The translation is a little awkward. the darker ponyglyph in Fishman is a road one. Fishman Island was the place Roger was referring to.

it also probably wasn't stolen, considering white beard was helping Roger and Fishman Island became his territory

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping for another part of the cover stories but New Years is New Years.

The highlight of the chapter for me was Roger going to Water 7 and Fishman Island. Seeing Young Franky meet Roger and Oden was a surprise considering he never mentions it (I also forgot how much older Franky is from the rest of the crew to be alive to meet Roger and Oden as well).

Oden having to leave behind Toki and his family/leaving his country again felt a bit abrupt vs all the other "serious" decisions Oden has had to make, but I get it would have thrown the pacing off of the whole chapter. The "scum" jokes were pretty funny though. The reasons for Buggy, Shanks, Nekomamushi, and Inuarashi getting left behind from seeing One Piece felt "convenient" as well. It's also "weird" that Shanks (and Buggy "sort of") haven't gotten One Piece yet either, considering they know where all the important locations are from sailing with Roger/really should just need someone who can read the glyphs.

The end of the chapter and Roger naming "Laugh Tale" felt "epic" but was a bit disappointing for me, mainly because of what Oden reveals with his narration, that they learn the three biggest secrets of One Piece at Laugh Tale/after finding One Piece. I was hoping there was a chance we would find out some of these details like the D name before the very end of the series but it looks like we won't know until Luffy and the others get to the end as well.

Regardless good chapter/I enjoyed seeing what we did see of Roger's adventure. I am expecting the flash back to be wrapping up in 2-3 chapters at this rate.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Oh yea, I just assumed it was one because of the darker shade, but yes, they very clearly state that the only notable one is the apology from Joy Boy. Still raises the question about what happened to the other one though, it got moved despite being unimportant

We'll let the official release handle it.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
why do sanji's pants suddenly become striped in that panel?

The translation is a little awkward. the darker ponyglyph in Fishman is a road one. Fishman Island was the place Roger was referring to.

it also probably wasn't stolen, considering white beard was helping Roger and Fishman Island became his territory
Sanji bones are being broken

Status
Not open for further replies.