• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is Ulti's Devil Fruit Power?

• Tyrannosaurus

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Triceratops

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Sabertooth Tiger

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Mastodon

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Pterodactyl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragonzord

Votes: 16 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I said the real chopper
chopper-cute_-playing.gif

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Natsu in the final arc

im not necessarily in love with the pre time skip MC outfits, but sometimes I think they get worse. See Asta (I know I'm in minority about this one lol) and Luffy. One Piece though is interesting because the strawhats have different outfits almost every arc which isn't something a lot of battle manga do, so it doesn't real;y feel like they have "default" outfits
Oh when that Jump issue leaked and the color page was posted on Twitter, I was losing it over Asta's new design lol. Love it.
But yeah One Piece they change up the outfits more than other series, which is pretty cool.

Let's just remove Oda's art style growth possibly influencing my decision...

...ok, post time skip. The sash and sleeves add a lot.
Smart move looking at Pirate Warriors for both.
Alot of the time for anime promotion and openings the Strawhats use there Fishman Island looks which just seems to be the default timeskip look for them.

Even in games.
Luffy has that in Zou too.
I don't really have a problem with acknowledging those as the "default" post-timeskip outfits considering they're the first ones we see.

Azure J

Oct 25, 2017
Luffy: Post
Zoro: Pre
Sanji: Pre
Nami: Post*
Usopp: Post (free)
Robin: Pre
Franky: Pre**
Chopper: Both are cool
Brooke: Post

*Her outfits post time skip have been cool
*If he would keep his classic hairstyle, the dramatic change to his design wouldn't even be noticed lol

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Reyes watching Bernie and Hubie's C support again, I want a series where Hubert tells campfire horror stories, he'd be amazing at it

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Luffy has that in Zou too.

Yea unlike the other characters, when you actually look at the downtime between the arcs, Luffy consistently goes back to his FI outfit, or some variation of it. So that actually is his default outfit lol

Honestly I'd be fine looking at the FI outfits more if Brook and Nami had something different. (I'm fine with Robin's)

Nami's is self-explanatory, on top of being a bad, clearly lasting first impression for newcomers and lapsed fans, whereas Brook's Soul King getup being used outside of his performances has always looked gaudy as hell to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Never forget that Viz is localizing the Samurai 8 Volumes before Act-Age and Chainsaw Man.

Cool news though.

I put that on Shueisha. They foolishly went "all-in" on Samurai 8 and put the cart before the horse. Over-printing volumes, forcing advertisements everywhere, contracts with their global publishers to get it out the door. Then they realized "oh shit, nobody likes this" and now they're stuck. It's probably gone by the next cycle, unless Zipman cushions it.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Never forget that Viz is localizing the Samurai 8 Volumes before Act-Age and Chainsaw Man.

Cool news though.
I always find it interesting how the release order changes between countries.
In Japan they came out in the order they started: Act-Age (May 2018) > Jujutsu Kaisen (July 2018) > Chainsaw Man (March 2019) > Samurai 8 (October 2019)
The English release went like this: Jujutsu Kaisen (December 2019) > Samurai 8 (March 2020) > Act-Age (July 2020) > Chainsaw Man (Fall 2020)
And France got this: Samurai 8 (December 2019) > Jujutsu Kaisen (February 2020) > Chainsaw Man (March 2020) > Act-Age (April 2020)

Also interesting that the English release is noticeably slower than the French one. But that may be because those 4 manga are released by 3 different publishers in France and only one in English, so there is nothing pushing Viz to be faster.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I put that on Shueisha. They foolishly went "all-in" on Samurai 8 and put the cart before the horse. Over-printing volumes, forcing advertisements everywhere, contracts with their global publishers to get it out the door. Then they realized "oh shit, nobody likes this" and now they're stuck. It's probably gone by the next cycle, unless Zipman cushions it.
Yeah it probably is Shueisha as part of their misguided initial push.
I always find it interesting how the release order changes between countries.
In Japan they came out in the order they started: Act-Age (May 2018) > Jujutsu Kaisen (July 2018) > Chainsaw Man (March 2019) > Samurai 8 (October 2019)
The English release went like this: Jujutsu Kaisen (December 2019) > Samurai 8 (March 2020) > Act-Age (July 2020) > Chainsaw Man (Fall 2020)
And France got this: Samurai 8 (December 2019) > Jujutsu Kaisen (February 2020) > Chainsaw Man (March 2020) > Act-Age (April 2020)

Also interesting that the English release is noticeably slower than the French one. But that may be because those 4 manga are released by 3 different publishers in France and only one in English, so there is nothing pushing Viz to be faster.
Man, to think it came first in France even ahead of JJK. That's some injustice.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah it probably is Shueisha as part of their misguided initial push.

Man, to think it came first in France even ahead of JJK. That's some injustice.

Naruto is HUGE in France (well, in the west in general). It sold 20m units there (That's about the same as One-Punch Man, worldwide). Last week (February 3rd to february 9th), Naruto volume 1 was the 147th best selling book in France (that includes novels, essays, comics, manga, etc) for no particular reason. It's just popular (just like the Harry Potter novels are almost always in the top 200). To compare, The Quintessential Quintuplets Volume 1 and 2 came out that week too, volume 1 was 123rd and volume 2 was 161st.

So of course they would want to publish them as soon as possible. It's hard to say if it was a success though. During their release week, none of the two S8 volumes charted in the top 200 (they had 3 days of sales) while Naruto vol. 1 was 195th. But they did enter the rankings the week after (and stayed there for 3 weeks iirc, around the #150 mark). I think they might have done over 10k in 2019 which is pretty good (that's what Kingdom #1 did, to compare, Dr. Stone #1 did over 30k, Neverland #1 sold between 50k and 100k units). But when you realise Boruto #1 did 70k in its launch year, you realise S8 can not compare to Kishimoto's other work in any way.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Naruto is HUGE in France (well, in the west in general). It sold 20m units there (That's about the same as One-Punch Man, worldwide). Last week (February 3rd to february 9th), Naruto volume 1 was the 147th best selling book in France (that includes novels, essays, comics, manga, etc) for no particular reason. It's just popular (just like the Harry Potter novels are almost always in the top 200). To compare, The Quintessential Quintuplets Volume 1 and 2 came out that week too, volume 1 was 123rd and volume 2 was 161st.

So of course they would want to publish them as soon as possible. It's hard to say if it was a success though. During their release week, none of the two S8 volumes charted in the top 200 (they had 3 days of sales) while Naruto vol. 1 was 195th. But they did enter the rankings the week after (and stayed there for 3 weeks iirc, around the #150 mark). I think they might have done over 10k in 2019 which is pretty good (that's what Kingdom #1 did, to compare, Dr. Stone #1 did over 30k, Neverland #1 sold between 50k and 100k units). But when you realise Boruto #1 did 70k in its launch year, you realise S8 can not compare to Kishimoto's other work in any way.
Oh I know Naruto is huge in France. "Naruto is huge" is the reason for a lot of regrettable decisions behind Samurai 8 including it getting a serialization to begin with. Naruto Vol. 1 still selling like that though is impressive.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Oh I know Naruto is huge in France. "Naruto is huge" is the reason for a lot of regrettable decisions behind Samurai 8 including it getting a serialization to begin with. Naruto Vol. 1 still selling like that though is impressive.
Check this:
EPivEpDXkAU_aDj.jpg

These are the 20 best-selling manga volumes in France in 2019. (Pic from the Angoulème comic convention, used to highlight how some "new" franchises are driving sales).
  1. Dragon Ball Super, Volume 6
  2. One Piece, Volume 89
  3. Dragon Ball Super, Volume 7
  4. Ki & Hi, Volume 4
  5. One Piece, Volume 90
  6. Dragon Ball Super, Volume 8
  7. One Piece, Volume 91
  8. My Hero Academia, Volume 17
  9. The Promised Neverland, Volume 6
  10. My Hero Academia, Volume 18
  11. One-Punch Man, Volume 14
  12. The Promised Neverland, Volume 7
  13. One Piece, Volume 92
  14. My Hero Academia, Volume 1
  15. One-Punch Man, Volume 15
  16. My Hero Academia, Volume 19
  17. The Promised Neverland, Volume 8
  18. Dragon Ball Super, Volume 9
  19. Naruto, Volume 1
  20. My Hero Academia, Volume 20
Fucking Naruto is there
Think about it
In 2019, Naruto Volume 1 in France outsold Samurai 8 Volume 1 in Japan.

PS: Ki & Hi is a manga written by a youtuber (Kevin Tran, one of the two brothers from "Le Rire Jaune", their videos are comedy skits) about the life of the two brothers. I've never read it, so I don't know how good it is, but they aren't the only internet celebrities to have written a book/a comic, so if it works that well, then I suppose it's pretty good.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Check this:
EPivEpDXkAU_aDj.jpg

These are the 20 best-selling manga volumes in France in 2019. (Pic from the Angoulème comic convention, used to highlight how some "new" franchises are driving sales).
  1. Dragon Ball Super, Volume 6
  2. One Piece, Volume 89
  3. Dragon Ball Super, Volume 7
  4. Ki & Hi, Volume 4
  5. One Piece, Volume 90
  6. Dragon Ball Super, Volume 8
  7. One Piece, Volume 91
  8. My Hero Academia, Volume 17
  9. The Promised Neverland, Volume 6
  10. My Hero Academia, Volume 18
  11. One-Punch Man, Volume 14
  12. The Promised Neverland, Volume 7
  13. One Piece, Volume 92
  14. My Hero Academia, Volume 1
  15. One-Punch Man, Volume 15
  16. My Hero Academia, Volume 19
  17. The Promised Neverland, Volume 8
  18. Dragon Ball Super, Volume 9
  19. Naruto, Volume 1
  20. My Hero Academia, Volume 20
Fucking Naruto is there
Think about it
In 2019, Naruto Volume 1 in France outsold Samurai 8 Volume 1 in Japan.

PS: Ki & Hi is a manga written by a youtuber (Kevin Tran, one of the two brothers from "Le Rire Jaune", their videos are comedy skits) about the life of the two brothers. I've never read it, so I don't know how good it is, but they aren't the only internet celebrities to have written a book/a comic, so if it works that well, then I suppose it's pretty good.
Dang, it's hanging with the new hot series lol. (And yeah it is pretty crazy to think that it sold more than S8 Vol.1 in Japan.)
Also I know "Le Rire Jaune", though I've never watched it much. Crazy one of them's doing a manga now, that's pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.