• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is Ulti's Devil Fruit Power?

• Tyrannosaurus

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Triceratops

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Sabertooth Tiger

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Mastodon

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Pterodactyl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragonzord

Votes: 16 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
No one is touching Akainu. He did his job - Ace chose his life and knew the consequences, even Garp was fine with him getting executed - just because Akainu delivered the final strike doesn't change the fact this was a WG/Marine decision.

Ace stupidity and pride resulted in him and his father dying. He was my dude...but he thought he was invincible and paid the price.

Coby will be Akainus "end" when he takes over. Don't see Akainu dying.
Akainu is still an antagonist, no matter how right he was. That's how the story frames him (unlike Coby, Smoker or even Fujitora, arguably). One way or another he will get his due defeat.
And even if that means Sabo beating him in a fight, he could still live - Reminder that not a single antagonist has died so far.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Sabo was born as a noble and yet hated them. He was privileged but hated how the nobles treated other people like they were not humans. He didn't belong there because he was a better human. That was his motivation to leave the east blue and become a pirate, to be free. Sabo also treated Luffy better than Ace most of the time. He has a big heart, is smart and he is a good boy.

Ace's way of thinking was 'my father was the king of the pirates but i hate him because people say he shouldn't have a son even though nothing that happened to me was his fault'. That was also his motivation to become a pirate so he could show people yeahhhh I'm worthy of living. And then the moment comes where thousands of people come to rescue him, where he should see YES I MADE IT, I AM WORTHY AND NEED TO CONTINUE LIVING but he just falls for Akainu's bitch ass tricks and dies and makes every effort of these people worthless. He is not a smart boy.

Not hating though, i love Ace. But Sabo is leagues ahead.

What do you think Sabo's endgame is? My money is on defeating Akainu to get revenge for Ace.
I really hope he does

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Akainu is still an antagonist, no matter how right he was. That's how the story frames him (unlike Coby, Smoker or even Fujitora, arguably). One way or another he will get his due defeat.
And even if that means Sabo beating him in a fight, he could still live - Reminder that not a single antagonist has died so far.
Time will tell - I don't think it's gonna play out that obvious. Definitely not by someone like Sabo. Akainu is too important in the OP world to just be defeated...he is a institution, I don't think his loss will be power/battle related but more in the lines of loosing the trust of the Marine soldiers after the WG and their fuckery gets exposed.

Time will tell - I don't think it's gonna play out that obvious. Definitely not by someone like Sabo. Akainu is too important in the OP world to just be defeated...he is a institution, I don't think his loss will be power/battle related but more in the lines of loosing the trust of the Marine soldiers after the WG and their fuckery gets exposed.

The same could be said for Whitebeard death but the world has got to change.

It would help not having a totalitarian in such a position and crushing him.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Akainu hasn't really been framed as an antagonist since...Luffy clutched his scar in Fishman Island? Most of the time when we see him now he's an overworked bureaucrat desperately trying to keep things together like Sengoku was.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The same could be said for Whitebeard death but the world has got to change.

It would help not having a totalitarian in such a position and crushing him.
True, but Akainu is in his Prime while WB was pretty much in his death bed and knew what the likely consequences would be. He sacrificed himself for his successor with Ace.

I mean you aren't wrong...Akainus Fall will come sooner or later but it won't be as simple as being defeated by someone like Sabo. None of the Pillar OP charachters just get defeated like that - there will be more to it.
and Akainu is an asshole with a frankly toxic view of the concept of justice that has led him to causing many unnecessary tragedies during his tenure
Sengoku was at the top when they decided to execute Ace - even Garp co-signed the sentence.

Plenty of Pirates like Kid also killed who knows how many people and created tragedies....but you gonna cheer him on like crazy in a couple of months when helps the Strawhats end Kaidos reign.
Weird to see people so obsessed with Akainu when be pretty much just delivered the sentence that was decided from the higher up. Sure he hates Pirates...but he probably has a good reason for it. They aren't all like the Strawhats.

Hate it or love it - but the Law exists for a reason and if it doesn't get enforced it usually ends in more chaos. I can see why the Marine decided to end Ace life and why Akainu made sure that the rescue plan didn't succeed.

Teach is responsible for most of these events - the Marine and Akainu did what they were supposed to. Ace should have been smarter. Even Shanks warned WB about BB.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Akainu did nothing wrong and this comes from an Ace fan. Again if the other admirals did their job One Piece world wouldn't be this shitty.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
i'm sure that island full of scholars would agree with you

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see people blaming Sengoku the guy who order their destruction, funny how people consider him one of the "good" marines. Also i was talking about Ace execution hence the Ace mention.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see people blaming Sengoku the guy who order their destruction, funny how people consider him one of the "good" marines. Also i was talking about Ace execution hence the Ace mention.
the only order was to eliminate the scholars, Akainu is the one who decided to go scorched earth and kill everyone

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Akainu did nothing wrong and this comes from an Ace fan. Again if the other admirals did their job One Piece world wouldn't be this shitty.
Akainu killed innocents on Ohara, killed marines on Marineford and was about to kill Coby for saying the truth. Even if he disagrees with Coby that gives him no right to just outright kill him. Akainu is a punk bitch who deserves to die and i hope he suffers a miserable death.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
None of the Pillar OP charachters just get defeated like that - there will be more to it.

I mean it happened to Doffy...

Anyways, it's not like we're saying it's gonna be some random 1v1 fight or something. Just that there's both a motive (Sabo wants revenge) and narrative (Revos opposed to WG) that exists that can easily setup a confrontation between them if Oda wants to go there.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
the only order was to eliminate the scholars, Akainu is the one who decided to go scorched earth and kill everyone

Yet only one of those two is consider a bad person instead of the two.

That chapter where he talked to Law shows why people consider him as one of the good ones

So when we get Akainu sad flashback he will be one of the good ones too i guess.

Akainu killed innocents on Ohara, killed marines on Marineford and was about to kill Coby for saying the truth. Even if he disagrees with Coby that gives him no right to just outright kill him. Akainu is a punk bitch who deserves to die and i hope he suffers a miserable death.

Coby was getting killed for trying to stop a war who was cleary going in the favor of the marines after WB death, not right but he should have stay out of the way.
The other stuff you right.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
My money would be on Luffy taking down Akainu more then anything. But we shall see what happens with that.

Just beat the game now. I had fun but this thing kinda falls flat on its face as a cross over title between the two brands. Shame it never lit the sales charts on fire. I think a sequel would be able to make something really memorable.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Also been thinking about Impel Down and it's interesting how one of Luffy's unique evil moments not only saved his arch-rival (probably final villain) but also greatly empowered him.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yet only one of those two is consider a bad person instead of the two.

I agree that people often overlook the scene where Saul asks him if it's right for the navy to kill innocent people and Sengoku screams back "just shut up and follow orders", but (if Oda had things planned out to this extent), the fact that Sengoku knows about what happened at God Valley and the ensuing massive coverup suggests that he knows that the government doesn't play around with sensitive subjects. It's still morally questionable, but that reading of that scene paints Sengoku as a harsh officer trying to awkwardly protect Saul as opposed to a monster who thinks killing innocent people is okay.

The only things Sengoku has against him are that scene and being in the Navy top brass in general (anyone who willingly climbs to the top positions of the Navy is very morally questionable, no one who would willingly serve the celestial dragons to that extent can really be a decent person), but that's still a far cry from Akainu, who has personally murdered civilians, Navy soldiers, and admonished Fujitora for not letting the navy cover up Dressrosa. Sengoku is not a great guy, but he's not on the same level as Akainu.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it happened to Doffy...

Anyways, it's not like we're saying it's gonna be some random 1v1 fight or something. Just that there's both a motive (Sabo wants revenge) and narrative (Revos opposed to WG) that exists that can easily setup a confrontation between them if Oda wants to go there.
Doffy didn't have the standing of a post Timeskip Akainu though, dude had a crew of cannon fodder and was scared of Kaido...yet pretended he would become Pirate King xD

You are right though - def. a narration thread that would make sense and would be easy to justify. I just don't think thats were Oda is going....and even Sabo doesnt seem like someone who would go out of their way to get some Revenge on Akainu for something that happened during a War.
By that logic luffy is a brat next to almost all the villains. He still beats them.
You are missing the point if you think Akainu is just some villain - he is the head of the Marine and not someone you will get close too unless the Marine himself gives up on him for whatever reason.

Being a brat doesn't mean he cant defeat an OG but Oda isn't about to let pillars of the OP world being defeated in a simple battle. Pretty much all big guns in OP died or lost in the end because they decided to sacrifice themselves for some cause and not just because they were defeated in a battle.

Sure WB Pirate failed to rescue Ace and both of them died in the End....but considering how he died, can't even call that a real loss. The Marine showed up with all their power and they still had to resort to foul tricks, to end a half dead and sick Whiteboard....doubt he expected to leave this battle alive anyway. BB had to swoop in on a pretty much dead WB- with half of it's head missing - only to still nearly get killed by him because he was too cocky.

Same way with Oden in recent chapters - he sacrificed himself to secure a future for the people he cared about. He is portrayed as too powerful and strong to be just defeated by Kaido and co. - like some people expected beforehand. Even incarnation its clear that if he wanted he could have broken free and escaped Wano with his family and retainers - but he stuck around.

Whitebeard, Garp, Gold Roger, Post Timeskip Akainu, Prime Oden etc. - none of these charachters were defeated because they lost some 1:1 fight.

We won't see stuff like a Legendary Sannin getting exposed by some 13yo Uchiha boy in OP.

Anyway just guessing here and I might be wrong but I don't see a Akainu being defeated because of some Ace revenge motivation. That was something that the Marine and even Garp backed .....he is just the representation of lawful evil and order in the OP world.

Akainu is the most likely Marine to turn against the WG when shit gets real near the end - which might result in his demise.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Sabo was livid seeing Kuma in his current state.

He would definetly be up for revenge against Akainu in regards to Ace.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw those chapters again.

It's kind of weird for Akainu to not outright kill someone that he considers that big of a threat.
To be fair....while still an asshole there is probably quite the difference between Bloodlust War Akainu who has been reading blows WB Pirates and Every Day Akainu.

Executing Ace and demonstrating to the World that no one is above the Law was much more important statement to deliver.

It was pretty much the Battle of their lifetime so far.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Smoker is still strong all things considered ...didn't he have Vergo a run for his money ? He never had crazy ambitions like someone like Luffy...so expecting him to keep up with that level was never realistic. Not everyone needs to be OP to justify their existence lol.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So weird how just one arc made me go from "Man Smoker is a powerful fucker in this world" to "oh ok he kinda sucks". Don't know what Oda's plan was with that one

From what I've seen, people are just mad that their headcanon of Smoker being Luffy's Garp was wrong, not everything's a parallel

Tbh I don't really know how you'd scale his strength to Luffy's without just basically making him "Admiral level" at that point. Either way he'd get horribly outpaced at the rate Luffy has been going since entering the New World.

Just saw those chapters again.

It's kind of weird for Akainu to not outright kill someone that he considers that big of a threat.

Well the prevailing theory, at least for me, is that they want her powers

Doffy didn't have the standing of a post Timeskip Akainu though, dude had a crew of cannon fodder and was scared of Kaido...yet pretended he would become Pirate King xD

Point is he was a pillar as you call it, and he was soundly defeated. Same thing bout to happen to Kaido too lol

even Sabo doesnt seem like someone who would go out of their way to get some Revenge on Akainu for something that happened during a War.

He openly hates the fact that he wasn't there for Ace, and his most recent actions involve trying to rescue Kuma, saying they either do it or they'd die trying. Also he's characterized as being low-key ruthless, so idk about that one

Not saying he'd go out of his way, but he absolutely has a bone to pick with him

Which makes even less sense but I don't care for coby so I'm biased

Pretty sure he was joking

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Smoker (and Law) vs Vergo is actually one of my favorites fight in the series.

I still remember the Anime going ham in some of the scenes.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
From what I've seen, people are just mad that their headcanon of Smoker being Luffy's Garp was wrong, not everything's a parallel

Tbh I don't really know how you'd scale his strength to Luffy's without just basically making him "Admiral level" at that point. Either way he'd get horribly outpaced at the rate Luffy has been going since entering the New World.

Point is he was a pillar as you call it, and he was soundly defeated. Same thing bout to happen to Kaido too lol

He openly hates the fact that he wasn't there for Ace, and his most recent actions involve trying to rescue Kuma, saying they either do it or they'd die trying. Also he's characterized as being low-key ruthless, so idk about that one

Not saying he'd go out of his way, but he absolutely has a bone to pick with him

Who would ever joke about Coby? :P

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Sabo is the number 2 of the revolutionaries. Right after Dragon. Above the likes of Ivankov and the 4 commanders. The revolutionaries are directly opposed to the world government. It is not too farfetched to think that the no. 2 could go against akainu in the future.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
If people call Law a jobber in here i wonder what Smoker is called.

I agree that people often overlook the scene where Saul asks him if it's right for the navy to kill innocent people and Sengoku screams back "just shut up and follow orders", but (if Oda had things planned out to this extent), the fact that Sengoku knows about what happened at God Valley and the ensuing massive coverup suggests that he knows that the government doesn't play around with sensitive subjects. It's still morally questionable, but that reading of that scene paints Sengoku as a harsh officer trying to awkwardly protect Saul as opposed to a monster who thinks killing innocent people is okay.

The only things Sengoku has against him are that scene and being in the Navy top brass in general (anyone who willingly climbs to the top positions of the Navy is very morally questionable, no one who would willingly serve the celestial dragons to that extent can really be a decent person), but that's still a far cry from Akainu, who has personally murdered civilians, Navy soldiers, and admonished Fujitora for not letting the navy cover up Dressrosa. Sengoku is not a great guy, but he's not on the same level as Akainu.

Oh i agree Akainu is by far worse, it just i feel people hate him more for killing Ace than the real reasons he should be hated for, thats why i said he did nothing wrong concerning Ace the rest is obviously bad stuff. And Sengoku somehow gets the pass card even though his involvement in the Ohara incident is extremely damning. Thats why Garp is the best marine, he knew exaclty when to stop rank wise to do what he wants not what the WG wants.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really think it's fair to say we mad cuz head canon. It's just weird Luffy left him in the dust like that when the arc prior to the timeskip he was still smoking the guy. I assume smoker didn't just sit on his butt for two years which is why I find the coby situation even more strange if he ever actually contends with luffy in the story

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Sabo is the second in command of the most wanted man in the world, and still only has a 602 million bounty :P

Also I never take seriously someone who calls a character a jobber.

Status
Not open for further replies.