• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As if disc won't rot. Digital is the best! The convenience is unparalleled!

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
yea this stuff really pisses me off, I had Pirate Warriors 1 on PS3 and I can't even redownload it from my download list, what sucks is it was never released physically in North America.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like there are still keys available on some third party marketplaces, for anyone desperate to pick it up.

Edit: Or right, I was referring to Steam keys. Game isn't available in my region on Steam, but perhaps it never was.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Eh there's a lot of unfortunate shitty things with the digital-only future, but there are places other than the US, Europe, and Japan in the world, and for us, a digital-only future is much more preferable to a physical one where games are at 150-200% retail price and games disappear from shelves forever after only 5 years after release and you have to spend literally months at times to find a copy of a game you're looking for.

Much more preferable to me than One Piece being delisted.

OP
OP
Richter1887

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Eh there's a lot of unfortunate shitty things with the digital-only future, but there are places other than the US, Europe, and Japan in the world, and for us, a digital-only future is much more preferable to a physical one where games are at 150-200% retail price and games disappear from shelves forever after only 5 years after release and you have to spend literally months at times to find a copy of a game you're looking for.

True I could see this being an issue but at the same time you still get choice even if it is expansive or hard.

With delisting you will never get another chance at buying it.

Android 18

Jun 26, 2018
yea this stuff really pisses me off, I had Pirate Warriors 1 on PS3 and I can't even redownload it from my download list, what sucks is it was never released physically in North America.
Wait, you can't even redownload them even though you purchased them? that's a first for a game, even if it's been delisted. I've been able to redownload games that have been delisted because I owned them.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
True I could see this being an issue but at the same time you still get choice even if it is expansive or hard.

With delisting you will never get another chance at buying it.
Honestly I'm saying the vast majority of time, games getting delisted are ones most people never cared about in the first place (there are exceptions, such as Mafia 2). And the trade-off with the exorbitant prices we sometimes pay for physical copies is not worth it for me.

Obviously, the ideal scenario is that we continue to get a physical / digital mix in the future for all games. I'm just saying I have a preference between one or the other.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Yes?

The fact is you can't buy it later on if it is delisted (assuming a game doesn't have physical). Don't see how that isn't a negative.
It is a negative, but only insofar as not being able to resell a game and have used sales outside of retail. In the PS2 days there were games that were discontinued after fairly small print runs that were a huge pain to track down, and usually marked up because of it. I only really got to play some for the first time due to being re-released digitally on PS3/360, heh.

OP
OP
Richter1887

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'm saying the vast majority of time, games getting delisted are ones most people never cared about in the first place (there are exceptions, such as Mafia 2). And the trade-off with the exorbitant prices we sometimes pay for physical copies is not worth it for me.

Obviously, the ideal scenario is that we continue to get a physical / digital mix in the future for all games. I'm just saying I have a preference between one or the other.
Sure maybe the majority wouldn't have care but there are plenty of people in the minority who might see the game after it is delisted and might want to buy it only to not find it anywhere.

It is a negative, but only insofar as not being able to resell a game and have used sales outside of retail. In the PS2 days there were games that were discontinued after fairly small print runs that were a huge pain to track down, and usually marked up because of it. I only really got to play some for the first time due to being re-released digitally on PS3/360, heh.
Yeah but my point is that you still have a chance. When the game is delisted it is gone forever.

In a event where a console never gets cracked that might be the case. But as it stands, the Vita is cracked and you can back up your copy and have it outlast the phisical copy pretty easily.
Yeah this is another problem. Thankfully the Vita and the PS3 can get hacked (I think PS4 too now?) But what will happen when they can solve the hacking problem or move to an online only Netflix type of digital?

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

Physical games are almost always cheaper and with second hand stores, eBay or Amazon it shouldn't be to difficult to find a particular game.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Physical games are almost always cheaper and with second hand stores, eBay or Amazon it shouldn't be to difficult to find a particular game.

I feel that thinking like this is very US or Europe centric? In many parts of the world, things like second-hand stores and Amazon don't exist, and digital games especially sometimes with regional pricing work out to be much, much cheaper.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What else is there to discuss?
What has been posted in this thread, like the old games in the series having a similair pattern and it maybe being good ensuring you buy it on other platforms if you get the chance.

But no, let's discuss why digital sucks when this has always been on the pro/con list between the two options.

For the record I don't think delisting makes much sense in general, and it doesn't happen with that many games in the bigger picture. As digital become more and more standard I think it will be avoided more, though.

OP
OP
Richter1887

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
What has been posted in this thread, like the old games in the series having a similair pattern and it maybe being good ensuring you buy it on other platforms if you get the chance.

But no, let's discuss why digital sucks when this has always been on the pro/con list between the two options.

For the record I don't think delisting makes much sense in general, and it doesn't happen with that many games in the bigger picture. As digital become more and more standard I think it will be avoided more, though.
But that is obvious to everyone. I really don't see what else to discuss other than the delisting and digital in general.

I hope you are right though, to many awesome games have been delisted.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that thinking like this is very US or Europe centric? In many parts of the world, things like second-hand stores and Amazon don't exist, and digital games especially sometimes with regional pricing work out to be much, much cheaper.
This is exactly the reason why I went PC instead of a PS3 all those years ago. Seeing the sales where for everyone and not just to specific regions or stores made the choice to go PC much easier. Now thanks to region pricing on Steam(if the publishers chooses to adhere to them) makes even third party stores like GMG not as attractive as just buying from Steam directly.

Of course this has more to do with Steam itself than just digital games but it is not any stretch to say that the PC being faster to embrace digital made it much easier for Valve to adopt these practices than say a hardware manufacturer that has to keep the balance between disc and digital games.

OP
OP
Richter1887

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
IMO the best way to go is having Physical and digital along with fixing the delisting thing (create some kind of law or something).

Win win for everyone.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
As I said, I live in a place where those are not an option. I'm in Kuwait. Ordering something from ebay or amazon incurs an additional 20-30 dollars charge at the very least. Second hand stores are rare and most of the time they treat their games as collector pieces that sell for ridiculous prices (I remember finding a physical copy of FFVII for $300).

All I'm saying is that some of us outside of the US / Europe and wherever else don't have the luxary to depend on Physical copies as our main go-to product. Digital games have saved us a lot of hassle.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's still on PS4, Steam, and Switch aka the most relevent platforms you're most likely gonna buy the game on.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
As I said, I live in a place where those are not an option. I'm in Kuwait. Ordering something from ebay or amazon incurs an additional 20-30 dollars charge at the very least. Second hand stores are rare and most of the time they treat their games as collector pieces that sell for ridiculous prices (I remember finding a physical copy of FFVII for $300).

All I'm saying is that some of us outside of the US / Europe and wherever else don't have the luxary to depend on Physical copies as our main go-to product. Digital games have saved us a lot of hassle.
That's why it's great that digital games exist. I just don't like the all digital future some seem to prefer.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO the best way to go is having Physical and digital along with fixing the delisting thing (create some kind of law or something).

Win win for everyone.
Jesus Christ. Do you honestly imagine that something this first-world problem-y should be a law. Games don't get delisted for no reason. I guess they should also make a law to keep manufacturing physical games until the end of time.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
That's why it's great that digital games exist. I just don't like the all digital future some seem to prefer.
Of course. Don't get me wrong I'd love for both to exist. I still go for Physical whenever I get the chance. It's just that this thread is assuming that we're headed for a digital only future even though I don't see any reason for that to be the case for the next decade or two, just because digital sales are increasing doesn't mean publishers would risk cutting off millions of potential sales from those who prefer physical versions. All I'm saying is if there ever comes a day where it's one or the other, then digital is much preferable cost-wise for me.

OP
OP
Richter1887

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ. Do you honestly imagine that something this first-world problem-y should be a law. Games don't get delisted for no reason. I guess they should also make a law to keep manufacturing physical games until the end of time.
Some kind of preservation law would be good. Why they hell is this a "first world problem"?

The difference between digital and physical is that physical can be bought legally pre owned or found anywhere while digital can't.

Risev

I am not assuming anything, there has been calls for a digital only future before and this could happen.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I suspected this, so grabbed all the DLC off PSN a while ago for Vita. Haven't actually bought the game yet (lol), but in Europe so will probably nab a physical copy in the next few weeks (since it'll likely keep going up in price I guess!)

OP
OP
Richter1887

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I suspected this, so grabbed all the DLC off PSN a while ago for Vita. Haven't actually bought the game yet (lol), but in Europe so will probably nab a physical copy in the next few weeks (since it'll likely keep going up in price I guess!)
This is one of the times I am glad I bought a game way too early considering I haven't played it yet.

I am still catching up to the anime so I will play it afterwards.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some kind of preservation law would be good. Why they hell is this a "first world problem"?

The difference between digital and physical is that physical can be bought legally pre owned or found anywhere while digital can't.

No one is going to draft a law just because you can't play your anime game that you can easily buy somewhere else.

OP
OP
Richter1887

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
No one is going to draft a law just because you can't play your anime game that you can easily buy somewhere else.
Where else exactly?
You do know that the PS4, Switch will lose it too right?

Also it is not just this game but many games. Go ahead and tell me how I can buy Afterburner Climax or Scott Pilgrim.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where else exactly?
You do know that the PS4, Switch will lose it too right?

Also it is not just this game but many games. Go ahead and tell me how I can buy Afterburner Climax or Scott Pilgrim.
You would think if it was delisted on PS3/Vita it would be delisted everywhere else by now? Unlimited World R is still up and that was delisted on lat gen platforms as well.

But anyway the reason why so many games get delisted is because of the law, copyrights expire making it impossible to sell a game. It sucks, but that's reality for you.

OP
OP
Richter1887

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
You would think if it was delisted on PS3/Vita it would be delisted everywhere else by now? Unlimited World R is still up and that was delisted on lat gen platforms as well.

But anyway the reason why so many games get delisted is because of the law, copyrights expire making it impossible to sell a game. It sucks, but that's reality for you.
Because it got released on those platforms later on. You said it yourself, it is licensing and they choose to renew only PW3 PS4 version when porting the switch version and Unlimited World is a whole new version.

And just because copyrights exists doesn't mean they can't improve it. I can't do anything about it but I can hope. Not sure why you got mad calling it "first world problems".