• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I think them overhauling the combat system and focusing on airial combat is the reason we are not getting too many new characters. I bet they have to change a lot of characters to account for airial combat now.
It almost goes without saying. Air combos means every character has nearly doubled their moveset. It's tantamount to remaking the whole cast all over again. It's not very surprising if there isn't an astounding amount of new characters because for all intents and purposes, the old characters will be 'new' as well.

OP
OP
Dale Copper

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I much rather them remove old and add new than just revamp everyone move sets and barely add anyone new.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It almost goes without saying. Air combos means every character has nearly doubled their moveset. It's tantamount to remaking the whole cast all over again. It's not very surprising if there isn't an astounding amount of new characters because for all intents and purposes, the old characters will be 'new' as well.
Exactly.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
An interesting thing about Kuzan's Ice Age is that it now reacts to environments. Before it would be a flat sheet of ice that would clip through walls, but now it actually spreads onto the walls.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I think them overhauling the combat system and focusing on airial combat is the reason we are not getting too many new characters. I bet they have to change a lot of characters to account for airial combat now.

I could be completely wrong but just based on the little footage I've watched it seems as though they've reduced the amount of ground moves now though, since triangle is now a charge move rather than its own combo tree, so idk if there really is double the amount of moves.

Also personally I'd rather have more new characters and less returning characters than the other way around. That gives another reason for people to purchase PW3 anyway if they haven't already

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I could be completely wrong but just based on the little footage I've watched it seems as though they've reduced the amount of ground moves now though, since triangle is now a charge move rather than its own combo tree, so idk if there really is double the amount of moves.

Also personally I'd rather have more new characters and less returning characters than the other way around. That gives another reason for people to purchase PW3 anyway if they haven't already
That's correct, it's why I tried to phrase it with "almost"s and such. It's really up in the air (oops, accidental puns) if it's a significant difference. For instance, the "Strong" combo branch is gone, but we've also seen characters can have up to C7, maybe more. Additionally, the Producer seems to be saying that the R1 menu of special moves can be customized, and we've seen that formerly standard attacks (Gum Gum UFO) can show up among these special moves. For all we know, characters could have any number of such moves. Do you choose from 6 of these, or 16?
And, obviously, there's the air combos. I wouldn't be suprised if Marco ends up having a crazy combo tree for his air attacks.

I guess if I had to choose, I'd say I want to cut some of the old roster for newcomers. There's always a chance they could just come back in PW5. I haven't tried the game, but my initial impressions are that PW4 will have a better system overall.

EDIT: So in the Ichiji video, looking at the palette you can actually tell one of the four icons in the R1 palette is pulsing and its gauge is draining while Full Force Burst is active. Looks it's confirmed to be one of your four special skills, which I suppose makes sense because that's basically what was described in the previous demo. Considering I initially theorized that FFB was mapped to R2, because the currently known control guide doesn't seem to have it do anything, I wonder if that means there's some unrevealed feature there. Would be nice the concept of assist/support characters hasn't been abandoned.

Last edited:

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
So that's what, 12 confirmed characters so far? Plus the rest of the Strawhats and that adds up to 18 already, with 6 being new (Carrot, Big Mom and Germa).

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
with 6 being new (Germa)

3beaec926ca7854d1220f346ffeae467.png

kidding kidding. of course you're correct, though I'm cautiously curious about how different the avenger siblings will be

EDIT: Also if you're mentioning Big Mom then shouldn't X Drake and maybe Kaidou be mentioned too?

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017

kidding kidding. of course you're correct, though I'm cautiously curious about how different the avenger siblings will be

EDIT: Also if you're mentioning Big Mom then shouldn't X Drake and maybe Kaidou be mentioned too?
It was determined earlier in the thread that Big
Mom had official communication labeling her playable. I personally am refraining from assuming playability for the other giants since NPCs have always been a thing in this series. But if Big Mom's playable there's no way Kaidou isn't.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017

It's likely they're playable, but not yet confirmed so I didn't include them. And believe me, I had to try really hard not to shit on Germa being playable.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
It's likely they're playable, but not yet confirmed so I didn't include them. And believe me, I had to try really hard not to shit on Germa being playable.

Wait wait wait so Big Mom is confirmed playable? What is the source for this? She's not listed as playable on the fan wiki and it's usually updated very quickly https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/One_Piece:_Pirate_Warriors_4.

I will say, iirc in Hyrule Warriors you could play as Giant Ganon so it is definitely possible that they pull of a giant mode in similar fashion in PW4.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Wait wait wait so Big Mom is confirmed playable? What is the source for this? She's not listed as playable on the fan wiki and it's usually updated very quickly https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/One_Piece:_Pirate_Warriors_4.

I will say, iirc in Hyrule Warriors you could play as Giant Ganon so it is definitely possible that they pull of a giant mode in similar fashion in PW4.

An email from Bandai Namco for the game.

TropicalFish

Oct 25, 2017
Has it been confirmed whether the story begins at the end of Dressrosa from PW3 or not? I do not wanna retread that awful ass arc again.

I don't understand how Wano can be used.
This means the game will end in a cliffhanger :/
Dressrosa wasn't done when PW3 released so the developers made up an ending, which will probs happen here too.

I kinda wish the game was just Zou and Cake Island with Wano as a big expansion pack ala Attack on Titan 2 but I digress.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so transformations and Full Force Burst aren't exactly the same thing. We see Luffy activate FFB without going Gear 4 in that video. While I'm not confident this means that Sulong could be playable, it seems like it's at least not out of the question.

I hope we get confirmation about how Gear 4th activates sooner than later. At the moment, the demos make it seem like it's a scripted event for bosses.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
You know, based on the PW2 story being essentially a dressed up Warriors Orochi plot, Super Grand Battle X's single-player focused on territory capture and Grand Adventure's Story modes with crew building elements

I kinda want to see an DW Empires inspired side mode. Something with decent replay value.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
Look I don't care if her not being a ridiculous superhuman was an actual plot point, gimme playable Vivi. Her fighting style was too cool to leave as a story footnote and the games where she's been playable show it.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
Please don't make this 60fps cap on PC. PLEASE have an uncapped framerate. It does this genre a huge disservice. It's the prime example of a game that needs it with all the enemies. There's not one musou pc port that goes above 60fps :(

I don't even mind of the game comes out later.

Anyone knows if the game picks up after 3 or starts again from the beginning?
Starts from the Beginning
AGAIN?!?

NANI !

naaaahh. not again. I'd rather they start at Dressrossa for the earliest part.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC they said they would have multiple maps for each of the story arcs in the game, and tell the arcs in more detail than they've done previously. It sounded to me like they're going for quality over quantity with the story arcs
I believe that when I see it. The Wano gameplay footage from TGS didn't look anything special map wise.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they're going to start from the beginning (or Alabasta at least) as they get another chance to tell the story the way PW1 did but with a major gameplay upgrade and better experince. It actually seems like PW4 is going to be a combination of PW1 and PW2/3 in which case, if they can take the best things from all 3 we could potentially have the best PW and One Piece game to date.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Smooth ground to air, a to g combo would certainly help with the many characters with 80% same attacks as previous episodes.
Especially if available to every character.

I need to see character progression and stuff like that to know if I'd be really interested.
Still badges ?

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that when I see it. The Wano gameplay footage from TGS didn't look anything special map wise.

What does that have to do with anything? We only saw one map of Wano, what I'm saying isn't necessarily that that one map will be anything more than what we've seen before, but that there could be more maps that take place in Wano than what one might expect.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What does that have to do with anything? We only saw one map of Wano, what I'm saying isn't necessarily that that one map will be anything more than what we've seen before, but that there could be more maps that take place in Wano than what one might expect.
Ah, I see. Sorry I misread your post.

Haven't they confirmed that the game will start from the beginning tho? I remember reading that somewhere. If that's true then I think we are gonna get a large number of maps overall.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope Alabasta has a large desert area this time for the first fight vs Crocodile.
And a more vertical Impel Down that better resembles each hell.
And a Punk Hazard that isn't just Ceasers lab.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
So we'd have 4 maps maximum?
I'd be happy to start from Alabasta or something at least, and that's not too far from the beginning, PW3 wasn't 1 map = 1 arc and skipped Amazon Lily arc amongst others, lots of opportunity to flesh things out which I hope they do. For example Foxy (Davy Back Fight) arc only got 1 gimmick dlc map iirc.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy to start from Alabasta or something at least, and that's not too far from the beginning, PW3 wasn't 1 map = 1 arc and skipped Amazon Lily arc amongst others, lots of opportunity to flesh things out which I hope they do. For example Foxy (Davy Back Fight) arc only got 1 gimmick dlc map iirc.
I would hope we start from Romance Dawn, tbh

I'll grant that there's a few pros to starting from Arabasta: start right away with the east blue crew + chopper immediately offering good character variety, few among the arcs that benefit most from being fleshed out are before Arabasta, cutting the early content means more resources for doing justice to the rest of the story.

On the other hand, I'd really like to see Whiskey Peak (literal one man army moment, it's perfect for musou come on), Little Garden (giant enemies means there's the option to add in Dorry and Brogy) and also I still want playable East Blue villains.

Also while I'm mentioning D & B, I was contemplating if they could improve the Oars fight and I had a flash
is it time for Nightmare Luffy?

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember this being discussed, there was apparently an official statement that not every character from PW3 is returning as playable.

If we did a process of elimination and made some assumptions, lets say every Strawhat, Shichibukai, Yonko, Marine Admiral and arc villain is guaranteed to stay.

Leaves us Garp, Ivankof, Tashigi, Ace, Perona, Law. I think Garp, Ivankof, Tashigi and Perona are probably low priority. I'm not even convinced all the characters I excluded are even that safe. For instance, if the goal is to get closer to a faithful adaptation of the story than previous entries, then the antagonists have less value being playable since the story is told from the "hero" perspective.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I also wish Tashigi stays playable, I thought her moveset was super fun and could adapt very well to aerial gameplay.