• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
91744.jpg

D2ORRVuX4AAmoQ3.jpg

a.k.a. Pirate-vengers Assemble

tumblr_pw1tzpLZTg1veb9dio2_250.gifv

SYNOPSIS:
The world's boldest buccaneers set sail for the great Pirate Festival, where the Straw Hats join a mad-dash race to find Gol D. Roger's treasure. There's just one little problem. An old member of Roger's crew has a sinister score to settle. All bets are off when the most iconic pirates of One Piece history band together for a swashbuckling showdown, the likes of which have never been seen!

9d55ae0386593cdd30b18f542dc10749b572c608r1-540-304_00.gif

CAST:
Luffy

Japanese: Mayumi Tanaka
English: Colleen Clinkenbeard

Zoro
Japanese: Kazuya Nakai
English: Christopher R. Sabat

Nami
Japanese: Akemi Okamura
English: Luci Christian

Usopp
Japanese: Kappei Yamaguchi
English: Sonny Strait

Sanji
Japanese: Hiroaki Hirata
English: Eric Vale

Chopper
Japanese: Ikue Otani
English: Brina Palencia

Robin
Japanese: Yuriko Yamaguchi
English: Stephanie Young

Franky
Japanese: Kazuki Yao
English: Patrick Seitz

Brook
Japanese: Cho
English: Ian Sinclair

Trafalgar Law
Japanese: Hiroshi Kamiy
English: Matthew Mercer

Teach (Blackbeard)
Japanese: Akio Otsuka
English: Chris Rager

Bullet
Japanese: Tsutomu Isobe
English: Daman Mills

Buena Festa
Japanese: Yusuke Santamaria
English: Mick Wingert

Donald Moderate
Japanese: Ryota Yamasato
English: Anthony Bowling

Ann
Japanese: Rino Sashihara
English: Macy Anne Johnson

AND MORE!

one-piece-stampede-western-theatrical-release-date-revealed.jpg

Where can I watch the movie?
Use the theater locator to see if a screening is playing near you.

Is the movie playing with subtitles or English dub?
Both! Make sure to check your screening to see when and where your version of choice is playing. Keep an eye out for words like "Japanese audio" "English subtitles" and "English dub".

What if I don't live in the United States or Canada?
Check your local anime distributor and let them know you want Stampede to play in your country.

Do I need to be caught up with the anime or manga to enjoy this movie?
No, but there's a plethora of easter eggs, callbacks, and references that may go over your head. Newcomers can enjoy the movie as much as old fans.

How long is the movie?
I hour and 41 minutes

Is the movie canon?
Not that it really matters, but no, none of the films are canon. Some characters introduced may be semi-canon but the events of the films have no major impact on the course of the manga.
Either way, they're enjoyable films that everybody should watch.

Why should I go to a theater and not pirate it like a REAL pirate?
giphy.gif

Any more questions?

No?

Then let the pirates festival BEGIN!!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i hate you guys, this thing didnt come to mexico, oo but code geas did!

bullshit

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone slanders Usopp after watching this film you're out of the One Piece Fanclub FOR LIFE

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Also that Ace/Sabo scene at the end was a work of beauty. Sabo is that dude and I kinda forgot how dope he was. A newfound respect for him and his power.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Man, that ruled. It's definitely more of a popcorn flick than the past couple films -- the villains are weak character-wise and rely more on their theatrics/badassery to work -- but it stuck to its guns in escalating everything in the name of fan-service.

Although..."Laugh Tale"? I never thought Raftel was a great name, but I assumed Toei dun goofed with the romanization until I looked it up afterwards. That's the official name now?

If anyone slanders Usopp after watching this film you're out of the One Piece Fanclub FOR LIFE

The One Piece MVP, as always.For what it's worth, he's the film's only emotional hook.

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
When the Eternal Pose said "Laugh Tale" on it I think the entire theater was confused. I only read a day or two ago it's not romanized "Raftel" but actually "Laugh Tale". How did nobody know that?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
That flashback with Roger, was that his ship or not? I'm trying to remember if the egg was on it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imperial Bishop Thanks a bunch for making this!

Really, really enjoyed this movie, it was truly a love letter to One Piece fans, and it was nice to get to finally watch one of these in the theater. So much fanservice, like the Supernovas doing stuff, the Sabo/"Ace" teamup, etc. Only notable criticism I have is the lack of Jinbe! Though at least this movie was nice enough to give us a quick glimpse acknowledging that he's a part of the crew.

Compared to all the story heavy movies we've gotten, it was nice to have at least this one movie where we pretty much dive straight into the action right away. Going into this movie, I was wondering why Bullet appears to be non-canon. Now I get why, the dude is obscenely powerful. Like honestly, in the movie, he came off as a guy that was just as strong as the Yonko, it was truly ridiculous how OP he was. I liked that though, because it set up a scenario where it wasn't just Luffy facing off against him, but instead he had to work with others to get it done. Best allies for sure was Law and Hancock. Law for his as always insanely useful power, and Hancock for surprising the ever living fuck outta me with her big moment where she dashes straight at Bullet and kicks the shit outta his mecha form. I didn't expect such a big highlight from her, and I loved it. As a character we rarely see in the manga nowadays, much less in a role where she gets to fight, it was a very much appreciated reminder that Hancock is strong as hell. Buggy technically didn't really help at all, but the dude was consistently a riot, the audience and I loved him.

Was also wondering regarding the marketing how exactly Crocodile and Lucci would factor into this, and I'm glad the movie made it so that they were doing their own thing in the shadows rather than them being straightforward allies. I mean it's not canon so it wouldn't have been that big a deal, but it would've still been weird, even if Crocodile technically has teamed up before. Anyways, loved how they got thwarted at the end by Sanji and Usopp, and later on Luffy who's of course insane enough to break the treasure everyone wanted.

For the rest of the crew, Usopp is obviously the MVP in being able to play a pivotal role in defeating Bullet, and also what the movie's emotional core is centered around. The movie does a good job at reminding me why he has my favorite arc out of all the Strawhats. Sanji's brief fight with Smoker was pretty cool, but the bigger highlight was definitely Zoro vs. Fujitora. While that was also brief, it was really great to watch, though LOL at Mihawk coming in at the end and casually showing off how he's still so much stronger than Zoro. The other Strawhats didn't get as much to do sadly (I did enjoy Nami using Zeus though), but that was fine since the movie already had its hands full giving so many characters screentime.

As for Bullet, compared to Shiki, Z, and Tesoro, I'd say he's the weakest villain in terms of characterization. But he honestly makes up for it by being a truly dominating force, it really took A LOT to bring him down. Not that this movie really needed something like that, as its not story-focused, but rather all about the action and unique interactions.

Lastly....

What the fuck was that last scene at the very end, with someone talking about how they expect their son to be the one to find One Piece or something like that? That wasn't Roger right? Because it sure didn't sound like him. I also noticed in the credits that one of the voice actors was for an unknown character (presumably the person at the end that was speaking) labeled as ???, so that's very intriguing... I had noticed people mentioning that this movie may have given us some hints to work with regarding One Piece's endgame, but I certainly didn't expect that.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When the Eternal Pose said "Laugh Tale" on it I think the entire theater was confused. I only read a day or two ago it's not romanized "Raftel" but actually "Laugh Tale". How did nobody know that?

It's not something people could know because it's apparently only now that Oda clarified that this is how he wanted it to be spelled all this time.

Honestly, if I have an issue with the name, it's only because it's being changed now, so my first instinct is to reject it. But unlike Levely, which just sounds dumb no matter what, Laugh Tale is the kind of name that I think people would've easily accepted if we knew it was called that from the very beginning. That said, lol at the subtitles sticking with "Raftel" anyhow

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I need a freeze frame of Zeus' doofy face when the movie gets released on dvd lol. it's so quick but I instantly recognized his goofy ass.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good. Usopp the real MVP. Not surprising, Robin was fucking useless as usual, which is acceptable since she fucking blows!

Audience could have been better, but I still enjoyed the movie. Will obviously see the dub. Want to find out who's voicing Sabo and Sengoku now

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
The movie was a lot of fun, but still a distant 2nd to "Gold" which actually had a strong plot and great background on the main villain to the point that he was sympathetic. Gold felt like an arc, this feels like every other One Piece movie before it. A seriously OP big baddy from the past that NO ONE has ever mentioned before comes back and causes havoc and Luffy has to defeat him somehow.

This was Ussop's time to shine and Buggy had some great moments too.

Franky and Nami just stayed on the boat and didn't do much.

Law has such a cool power and is supposed to be a badass, so why does he tend to get beaten up and injured the most?

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I came away from the film questioning if Smoker could get lung cancer and how did Luffy's lungs sustain him through his king king king king kong gun.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
I came away from the film questioning if Smoker could get lung cancer and how did Luffy's lungs sustain him through his king king king king kong gun.

It's an over the top anime movie. Logic does not factor in.

Chopper - "Luffy's badly hurt! He's lost so much blood! I'll have to give him first aid!!"

Less than 5 minutes later.....

Luffy - Gumu-Gumu nooo!.... King Kong Gun!!

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
I screamed when I saw that Hancock kick. I need to see more in the manga please Oda. We've never seen her fight seriously in the manga or anime.

The movie was amazing, and it truly felt a celebration of 20th year of the anime. This is peak one piece in terms of animation.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah this doesn't really feel at all like films Strong World, Z, and Gold. Fanservice definitely took precedent over plot. I'd also argue that outside of the Snakeman part, Luffy's fight felt a little less.

Biggest shock of the movie was Luffy using Boundman more than Snakeman and the latter appearing halfway through only. Guess it hammers home how useful Boundman can be against an opponent that are well rounded.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest shock of the movie was Luffy using Boundman more than Snakeman and the latter appearing halfway through only. Guess it hammers home how useful Boundman can be against an opponent that are well rounded.

It wasn't that shocking when you think about it. While yes, Snakeman is the new fancy form, it was never sold as being an improvement on Boundman. It's just focusing on speed, something Luffy needed because Katakuri is hard af to actually hit

Bullet obviously is a much bigger target, so Luffy just needs pure strength, not to mention Boundman is also better defensively, so there's really no reason to keep using Snakeman. Also... I think it's implying that only Boundman is capable of full on flight? Like Snakeman got hops too, but seemingly not to the extent of what Boundman can do.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
With one attack Boa was completely redeemed from the tv special: "3D2Y: Overcoming Ace's Death! Luffy's Pledge to his Friends". Correct me if im wrong(havent watched it in years) but I remember her jobbing hard in that filler special. It seemed like her only purpose was to get her dress ripped and be a damsel.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoyed Stampede. It was a total crowd-pleaser, dream match of a movie. I really enjoyed how odd the final group fighting bullet was. Law, Smoker, Boa, Sabo, and Buggy is a really strange handful of characters but they were really cool together.

It does continue an annoying aspect of OP for me though. Because there are so many plot-relevant characters that need to do stuff, the Straw Hats themselves often feel like afterthoughts. Zoro and Usopp are the only ones who really get to do much. while everyone else gets scraps. As a Robin fan, I am unsurprisingly disappointed. I really wish they could give Robin and Nami more to do (in OP as a series in general).

The scene that bothered me the most was when Sanji, Law, and Robin were escaping the underground area and Smoker comes to stop them. Sanji holds him off while the other two escape. But Law, who is very injured, picks up Robin as if she needs help. This sucked. Robin can take care of herself and Law was super injured already. Why was this necessary? It just plays into the dumb damsel stereotypes.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm so behind on OP movies... should I watch these in release order or doesn't matter?

Strong World
Z
Gold
STAMPEDE

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so behind on OP movies... should I watch these in release order or doesn't matter?

Strong World
Z
Gold
STAMPEDE

It doesn't matter, but if you don't want to backtrack on Luffy's increase in strength/techniques, then watch them in order. Well maybe make an exception for Stampede since it'll leave theaters soon.

Also if you haven't, I strongly recommend Movie 6 as well

With one attack Boa was completely redeemed from the tv special: "3D2Y: Overcoming Ace's Death! Luffy's Pledge to his Friends". Correct me if im wrong(havent watched it in years) but I remember her jobbing hard in that filler special. It seemed like her only purpose was to get her dress ripped and be a damsel.

More or less yea

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Release order is best but they're mostly standalone. Anyways, that was a really fun movie. Lots of cool moments for the fans.
It doesn't matter, but if you don't want to backtrack on Luffy's increase in strength/techniques, then watch them in order. Well maybe make an exception for Stampede since it'll leave theaters soon.

Also if you haven't, I strongly recommend Movie 6 as well

Thanks!

I watched every movie before Strong World. Love Movie 6 animation

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know what the mystery voice actor was at the end, after Rayleigh? The one noted by "???"

I was assuming it was the Rogers crew member who was getting scolded in the after credits scene?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They don't have a matinee time in my area. Slayven does not pay above matinee prices

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Just saw it. Haven't watched anything past Crocodile, but really enjoyed it and recognizing all the characters that I did know.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
still debating on whether or not to see this in the theater...how long would I have to wait to watch it otherwise?

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I screamed when I saw that Hancock kick. I need to see more in the manga please Oda. We've never seen her fight seriously in the manga or anime.

The movie was amazing, and it truly felt a celebration of 20th year of the anime. This is peak one piece in terms of animation.

Her angry Naruto run followed by that kick was one of the highlights.

OP
OP
Imperial Bishop
Oct 26, 2017
*cracks knuckles*

After watching the sub on Thursday and the dub today, I think I've seen Stampede enough times to give a more comprehensive stance and discussion on the movie as a whole.

To start things off, this movie encapsulates everything that has made One Piece the phenomenon that it is. Not only as a celebration of the past, but a celebration of what is to come. For those who may not be aware, One Piece is inching closer and closer to its endgame. It won't happen for another three or five years, but the stage has been carefully set for all the dominoes to start falling.
With that being said, the ideas presented in Stampede are connected to the same concepts of the changing eras, treasure, friendship, camaraderie, and freedom.

The Pirates Fest is a cool way to bring together fan-favorite characters that otherwise wouldn't be together in the same place. Not only are there cameos galore, but there are also even visual, thematical and musical callbacks from all over One Piece's history.

Cameos that I can recall:
Pandaman (probably the easiest character to spot)
Hatchan, Keimi, and Pappugu
Gedatsu
Mr. 5 and Miss Valentine's Day
Grount from Marine Rookie Arc (!!)
Jonathan from the G-8 Filler Arc(!!!!)
Vice-Admiral Momousagi
Vice-Admiral Chaton
Vice-Admiral Doberman
Vice-Admiral Stainless
Vice-Admiral Dalmatian
Vice-Admiral Onigumo
Carina from One Piece Film Gold (!!)
Flying Fish Riders
Billy and a few animals from One Piece Film Strong World (!!!)
The Risky Brothers
A sea train from Water 7 (I can't tell if it's supposed to be the Puffing Tom or the Puffing Ice)

Visual callbacks
The Knock-Up Stream, obviously
The bubbles from the stream are a reference to Saobody Archipelago
The island inside the big bubble is a reference to Fishman Island.
The shape of Delta Island seems very much like a reference to Reverse Mountain, even more so when at the end of the film, the flame trail from Sabo and Ace seems to represent the Grand Line

And that's only what I was able to pick up after two viewings. I probably missed a whole bunch of stuff.

What this movie does differently than other movies is the duo antagonists: Douglas Bullet and Buena Festa.
Everyone is wowed by Bullet that they forget that Festa is the co-villain in this whole spectacle. Orchestrating the advent of a chaotic era for his own amusement. He's the bubbly, overzealous baddie to compliment Bullet's more meat-headed side.
Individually, they're not as good, but together, with Festa as the brains and Bullet as the brawn, they represent the two ideas that go against everything Luffy stands for: Strength by oneself (Bullet) and pure anarchy for fun (Festa).

BUUUUUUT I'm going to ramble about Bullet anyway. This guy (like Buggy says in the dub) is a BEAST!! A pure monster!
He threw a ship filled with explosives kilometers into the air casually and destroyed an island. He's fast enough to catch all of the Supernovas lackin"! He has ridiculous Armament Haki (which he can even imbue onto things WAY larger than himself), strong Conqueror's Haki to rival even Luffy's, and possibly exceptional Observation Haki.
His Devil Fruit power is equally busted. With the Clank-Clank powers, he can combine any inanimate object together into whatever he wants. His power is basically a superior version of Kid's power.
Speaking of which, Kid surprisingly didn't get much to do in the movie. Missed a good opportunity to show Kid trying to control the metal from Bullet's ship and failing. I'll just chalk it up to Kid not showing enough feats in the manga to go off of.

Lucci also didn't do a whole lot. Same with Kizaru.
The true MVPs of this movie were Hancock (dat kick!), Smoker, Sabo, Crocodile (set the whole Take Down Bullet plan in motion), Buggy D. Clown, Law and the true GOAT...GOD USOPP!
Usopp had the strongest emotional moments in the film. No one could have seen this coming based on the trailers. I think this was the smartest choice they made. Usopp and Luffy are the same age, they have some of the deepest bonds in the crew, and both had a memorable iconic fight, breaking-up, and reconciliation.
He had the most hype payoff that ended up screwing Bullet over in the end! That's my sniper!

The other Straw Hats had some cool moments to show off, even though this wasn't the kind of movie to focus heavily on the Straw Hats themselves.
Robin, Chopper, Nami and Franky had their brief moments. Brook had the funniest moment (yes, I laughed at a fart joke, sue me). Sanji had a really small but neat moment of leadership, a trait that is easily forgotten. And he fought Smoker to a draw.
Zoro had a hefty showing in his fight with Fujitora, and slicing his meteor in two! (Zoro-senpaaaaaaai!)

The animation for the fights and some character acting was S-P-E-C-T-A-C-U-L-A-R!
My favorites were the Supernovas vs Bullet cuts, Roadrunner Hancock, Sabo vs Smoker, Sabo + Smoker tag-team attack, and pretty much most of the final fight between Gear 4th Luffy and Bullet.

Some grievances:
- Not a whole lot of plot in this film, but there didn't really need to be. This was never a plot-heavy movie.
- Bullet turning into a CG Junk Monster was alright, but quickly lost its luster until the Dream Team formed to take him down. Thank goodness, he got out of that form and fought Luffy in a mano-a-mano duel at the climax.
- Ann felt like an afterthought. Considering her powers, I was hoping for more illusionary character appearances.

Oh! And before I forget, the undersung hero of this film is THE MUSIC!!

Remember when I said even the music was choke-full of references?
Yeah, they remixed We Are!, We Go!, A Thousand Dreamers, and even Memories (I almost cried)

As for the "Laugh Tale" spelling,.....Eh.
English is not Oda's first language, even though he uses a lot of English text in the manga. I also don't think Oda ever really sat down and thought about what the romanization of Raftel would be until this movie.
Even if that was the case, Oda did not write the story for this film nor was he created as an executive producer like with the previous films.
Don't be surprised if the spelling doesn't even carry over to the manga.

Luffy breaking the Log Pose was the most Luffy thing ever. lol
My theater let out a loud gasp. XD I just laughed.
He's not going to take a shortcut to become the King of the Pirates. And the post-credits scene even rectifies that Luffy's choice was the right one.
But we manga readers already knew that...*cough cough*

Stampede was a great fun experience at the movies with a room filled with OP fans. For the type of anniversary ensemble event film, they were going for, Toei succeeded on every front. Absolutely worth seeing in a movie theater if you're reading this and haven't done it already.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I went in wanting one thing, and that was Jonathan, i flipped my shit when he appeared and all my friends who never watched the anime had no idea what was happening. Same when I reacted to Grount.

Also I'm pretty sure imitation Chopper was in the intro but I'm unsure.

Oct 25, 2017
Im about to piss everybody off and get quoted to high hell.

I'm getting tired of usopps shit. That lil crying moment was not needed I'm sorry

🚶🏾‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
I should note that this isn't Ann's first appearance in One Piece media. She originally showed up in One Piece: Live Attraction 3. It's likely her Viso-Viso powers were used to greater effect there.
Obviously being a live show, it was Japan only.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Hancock got to fucking do something. Shes supposed to be a monster and her bounty is so low cuz the WG offered her the position very fast so that kick felt so good.

Movie peaked pretty early with Bullet using the Supernovas as weapons and throwing them into each other like the Hulk

Did Oda change his mind because theres no way it was always supposed to be Laugh Tale

Who was the ??? In the credits supposed to be if it wasnt Roger or Dragon?

Edit - yes I was also surprised Luffy defeated him with Boundman and not Snakeman. It makes sense though, Boundman is obviously much better for getting in one big hit or against a massive opponent and it's not like the Gear fourth forms are meant to be upgrades to each other

Last edited: