• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Here's the thing tho: A licensed anime game being plagued by modern game design fuckups is a huge step ahead of whatever the hell developers like CC2/Spike Chunsoft have been doing with their licenses this gen.

They did plenty of garbage ass titles, Jump is not alone in this.
UE4 helped them achieve this result.

Engine accessibility isn't going to stop a developer from making shitty licensed games is what I'm trying to say. The choice of engine the developer is using has no dictation on the quality of the title

the game's been in dev for 3 years from what I'm understanding so it isn't like Ganbarion quickly shitted out a product. Maybe, like All Star Battle and Eyes of Heaven before it , were just unfortunately mediocre/underwhelming passion projects by developers known for licensed shovelware (and even THAT is kind of unfair to say about Ganbarion, because their One Piece games are usally really good!)

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game never looked good imo. It always seemed like it was gonna be another Unlimited World Red at best (Which is to say: painfully mediocre).

I just wish they'd commissioned another OP Musou sequel tbh. Those were always the best of a bad bunch when it came to OP games.

Oct 25, 2017
My hero, black clover, shinobi strikers consistent average at best anime games at least. Laugh at ninja storm all you want burn the presentation and the fanservice was off the charts.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can One Pice get a single stellar adaptation already ffs. This is Pokemon levels of disparity between the populratiy of the franchise and resources put into it's games. Fucking hell.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
My hero, black clover, shinobi strikers consistent average at best anime games at least. Laugh at ninja storm all you want burn the presentation and the fanservice was off the charts.

If that's what it takes for anime fans to be satisfied with anime games -- just excessive fanservice and good graphics -- then it's no wonder these licensed game developers get away with so much shit lmfao

and by this merit one piece must CLEARLY be good if that's all that it takes

Oct 25, 2017
If that's what it takes for anime fans to be satisfied with anime games -- just excessive fanservice and good graphics -- then it's no wonder these licensed game developers get away with so much shit lmfao

and by this merit one piece must CLEARLY be good if that's all that it takes
Well considering ppl can't play with their fav characters, witness the story's epic moments nor does it have good presentation I'd say you missed the point entirely to be snarky but carry on

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Watch the IGN video. There is a chest that wants you to press triangle for 10 fucking seconds until it opens. What the fuck is this lmao.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Looking from the trailers, much like Left Alive, this never looked good honestly. Barren world, uninteresting snippets of boss fights, single fodder enemy encounters. It looked like one of the dullest ways you could bring life to the One Piece universe honestly. There's good reviews in the listing as well, as there usually is, but I'm pretty sure those negatives are ever present.

Last edited:

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel like it should be One Piece Wind Waker. As someone who only knows a bit about One Piece, it feels weird that it's an open world game called World Seeker but you don't sail around from island to island.
If I had to wager, I'd say less than 1% of One Piece's story is spent sailing open waters. The overwhelming majority of the story is having adventures on (sometimes dubiously) firm ground.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Last 10 anime games from Bandai Namco (sans Dragon Ball)

One Piece: World Seeker - 53
Jump Force - 57
My Hero One's Justice - 68
Black Clover: Quartet Knights - 53
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker - 61
New Gundam Breaker - 43
One Piece: Grand Cruise - 35
Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time - 58
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - 64
The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia - 55

It's really a shame Bandai Namco owns the license for most anime games. They all deserve to flop.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
All I wanted is for this to be comparable to the original Unlimited Adventure/Cruise and less to World Red but it doesn't seem like that is the case.

As huge a OP fan as I am, if the game's just okay, I can wait for a bit of a discount. Namco games tend to go on sale pretty often. Oh well, guess I'll put that money towards Sekiro now...

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
So glad I read reviews, nearly pre-ordered on GMG for the PC. Looks like pretty good graphics and a decent story, but horribly bland side quests and mind numbingly boring, repetitive combat means avoid at all costs. Could have at least had you switch to different Straw Hats throughout the game and had some sort of combat system where it wasn't just mashing punch or holding down punch for big hit, repeat.

I'll probably get it someday at a deep discount, but not at $50.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Can One Pice get a single stellar adaptation already ffs. This is Pokemon levels of disparity between the populratiy of the franchise and resources put into it's games. Fucking hell.
Yep. Quite a shame.

If I had to wager, I'd say less than 1% of One Piece's story is spent sailing open waters. The overwhelming majority of the story is having adventures on (sometimes dubiously) firm ground.
But it does exist. To completely omit any sailing whatsoever is disappointing.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Well considering ppl can't play with their fav characters, witness the story's epic moments nor does it have good presentation I'd say you missed the point entirely to be snarky but carry on

Go play Pirate Musou

I am all for the idea of game developers focusing on a single character of a popular anime series, even if it is just the protagonist, in favor of trying to cater to every fucking soul who wants to play as idk fuckin Wapol or something. within the context of anime game developers I really, really couldn't give two shits about what the 'FANDOM' wants because it's just gonna be the same shit every game anyway

It's why I'm quite fond of the Unlimited Red series over the Musou stuff, or things like Grand Adventure's 'create a crew' adventure mode. It's new! It's another's interpretation of a popular IP instead of some manga panels recreated in CG cutscenes!

There are MULTIPLE OP games that cater to exactly what you desire and they are already easily accessible, let these devs do something new

you're gonna read the manga/watch the anime anyway

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Engine accessibility isn't going to stop a developer from making shitty licensed games is what I'm trying to say. The choice of engine the developer is using has no dictation on the quality of the title

the game's been in dev for 3 years from what I'm understanding so it isn't like Ganbarion quickly shitted out a product. Maybe, like All Star Battle and Eyes of Heaven before it , were just unfortunately mediocre/underwhelming passion projects by developers known for licensed shovelware (and even THAT is kind of unfair to say about Ganbarion, because their One Piece games are usally really good!)

Of course, but you can't deny that having UE4 in Japanese helped make faster games in HD when japanese developers were suffering the previous gen because they found HD development to be hard. Some games deserve more, why big IPs like One Piece don't receive Dragon Ball treatment from Namco Bandai?

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Like others are saying, you could tell from the trailers this game wasn't going to be great. Barely any characters around, boring environments, boring/repetitive looking exploration...there's so much more you could do with the One Piece world if a developer put enough effort into it. Even the concept of only playing as Luffy in a sandbox didn't sound great with the variety of One Piece crew members they could have made playable.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's interacting with most stuff there's a door that takes the same amount of time
giphy.gif

One Piece is one of the best things to ever happen and they treat it like garbage again and again and again. Fuck this.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Of course, but you can't deny that having UE4 in Japanese helped make faster games in HD when japanese developers were suffering the previous gen because they found HD development to be hard. Some games deserve more, why big IPs like One Piece don't receive Dragon Ball treatment from Namco Bandai?

What defines a game deserving 'more' beyond your own personal investment in the IP

and are you sincerely arguing that the Dragon Ball games are better off at this moment in comparison to One Piece game after two generations of regurgitating the same fighting game template from Budokai all the way to Xenoverse. If Fighterz is what constitutes as a breath of fresh air to anime fans despite being yet-another-fighting-game then I'm utterly convinced that anime fans don't know what the hell they want out of their licensed products

Very curious if this notion will remain when that Dragon Ball game made by CC2 will get the same reception as world seeker lmfao

Oct 25, 2017
What defines a game deserving 'more' beyond your own personal investment in the IP

and are you sincerely arguing that the Dragon Ball games are better off at this moment in comparison to One Piece game after two generations of regurgitating the same fighting game template from Budokai all the way to Xenoverse. If Fighterz is what constitutes as a breath of fresh air to anime fans despite being yet-another-fighting-game then I'm utterly convinced that anime fans don't know what the hell they want out of their licensed products

Very curious if this notion will remain when that Dragon Ball game made by CC2 will get the same reception as world seeker lmfao
You really bout to sit here and downplay fighterz and compare it to the crap they pump out for everything else

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised, but still disappointed because it did look like a pretty cool concept.

At this point, I don't know what can be done regarding Namco's constant funding of these terrible licensed-anime games (outside of Fighterz, the Ninja Storm games, and to an extent, My Hero (was a fun arcade arena game, just needed a bit more polish)).

Even though these games are receive such poor critical reception, they still make so much money for Namco, as seen with Jump Force's sales.

It's annoying that Namco has been putting more effort into putting these games out and marketing them, when their internal studios make amazing games on a budget like SoulCalibur VI, Ace Combat 7, and God Eater 3, and those get essentially no advertising or promotion. Heck, apparently faith in AC7 at Namco was small given the project got restarted so many times, the final product was made in a year and it was STILL great.

Really hope something changes with them soon before next generation.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

If DB by CC2 is shitty i won't excuse them, like at all.
It's not about personal investment, but weight of the IP.

Namco Bandai loves to cheap in these games, they made several anime licensed games and they are all mediocre, all of them because they don't give a fuck about quality they just publish and make games with important IPs and they sell enough to get a profit and go again with the same modus operandi.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just watched a gameplay trailer (this one) and holy shit that looks awesome. I'm not particularly a fan of the anime/manga, and I'd always been under the assumption that the One Piece games were just Dynasty Warrior clones with the One Piece license. Was I wrong? Are these good? That trailer makes me want to play.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
You really bout to sit here and downplay fighterz and compare it to the crap they pump out for everything else

I like Fighterz as much as the next guy but it's yet another Dragon Ball fighting game with yet again the same tried and true roster + one OC

It's amazing that you interpreted my comment as me slandering Fighterz, I know it's a good game but it's still at the end of the day more of the same out of licensed anime products. I'm tired of licensed anime fighting games! That's it, that's all!

If DB by CC2 is shitty i won't excuse them, like at all.
It's not about personal investment, but weight of the IP.

Namco Bandai loves to cheap in these games, they made several anime licensed games and they are all mediocre, all of them because they don't give a fuck about quality they just publish and make games with important IPs and they sell enough to get a profit and go again with the same modus operandi.

What I've been trying to say is: equating World Seeker as a 'cheap cash in' when that obviously hasn't been the case like those other bum anime games is a pretty ignorant thing to say, especially if you're basing that off of the same divisive reviews associated with those bum games

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched a gameplay trailer (this one) and holy shit that looks awesome. I'm not particularly a fan of the anime/manga, and I'd always been under the assumption that the One Piece games were just Dynasty Warrior clones with the One Piece license. Was I wrong? Are these good? That trailer makes me want to play.
Pw is the best ya gonna get. This game follows the unlimited series formula. Gonna be an empty world, some samey side quests and repetitive combos. And we all gonna buy it anyway

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I never trust reviews for anime licensed games.

If you like the IP, chances are there's some fun to be had. It's fanservice. I don't like One Piece so I'm uninterested, but I bet fans of the series will.
Eh. Maybe. But the IGN writer is clearly a fan of One Piece. I think since so much of the complaints are gameplay related, it's hard to tell how correct they are from afar. The first 20 minutes didn't look very exciting though, which sucks - I actually like the art style and the story could be intriguing (one of the few things the IGN reviewer said was good).

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel you.

One Piece has been a constant in my life since more than 18 years. I love it to death. I'll not reward these shitty games anymore.

Cool, I'd rather see for myself if it's shit or not. I've enjoyed many poorly reviewed games so this isn't a big deal for me.

Just got done reading the Gameinformer review, paints a very different picture to the one from IGN.

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
Aw, man. I didn't expect much, but I would love a spectacular One Piece game that's not fighting.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Last 10 anime games from Bandai Namco (sans Dragon Ball)

One Piece: World Seeker - 53
Jump Force - 57
My Hero One's Justice - 68
Black Clover: Quartet Knights - 53
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker - 61
New Gundam Breaker - 43
One Piece: Grand Cruise - 35
Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time - 58
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - 64
The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia - 55

It's really a shame Bandai Namco owns the license for most anime games. They all deserve to flop.

If it CC2 it ain't shit

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, hopefully there will be some more reviews. Reading the Game Informer review, I am a little bit tempted to buy it again. But the IGN review sounded like he was a big fan of One Piece and it still greatly disappointed because of quests and gameplay.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
Aw, man. I didn't expect much, but I would love a spectacular One Piece game that's not fighting.
At this point, a traditional 2D fighter (a la FighterZ) would probably be the best thing for the franchise going forward. It's one of the few genres the devs have yet to try. Though I'd prefer it if someone other than Ganbarion developed it.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I like Fighterz as much as the next guy but it's yet another Dragon Ball fighting game with yet again the same tried and true roster + one OC

It's amazing that you interpreted my comment as me slandering Fighterz, I know it's a good game but it's still at the end of the day more of the same out of licensed anime products. I'm tired of licensed anime fighting games! That's it, that's all!

What I've been trying to say is: equating World Seeker as a 'cheap cash in' when that obviously hasn't been the case like those other bum anime games is a pretty ignorant thing to say, especially if you're basing that off of the same divisive reviews associated with those bum games

I would pay a large amount of money for a One Piece fighting game as good as DBFZ is.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I never trust reviews for anime licensed games.

If you like the IP, chances are there's some fun to be had. It's fanservice. I don't like One Piece so I'm uninterested, but I bet fans of the series will.

This! I know it won't be a great game necessarily, but there will be plenty of fun to be had running around as luffy & interacting with the strawhats & some of Luffy's allies & enemies. I'm looking forward to it once the price drops a bit.