• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dubsky

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Saw the IGN review and that seemed pretty damning. The main three things that got me were: not being able to use Luffy's movement abilities at all in a guarded area with instant shot snipers with the movement itself already looking pretty stiff, instant loss stealth scenarios in a game with minimal stealth mechanics, and that fucking treasure chest opening. Jesus christ who thought this was a good idea.

SmartSelect_20190313-124018_YouTube.gif

sanhora

Oct 25, 2017
Last 10 anime games from Bandai Namco (sans Dragon Ball)

One Piece: World Seeker - 53
Jump Force - 57
My Hero One's Justice - 68
Black Clover: Quartet Knights - 53
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker - 61
New Gundam Breaker - 43
One Piece: Grand Cruise - 35
Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time - 58
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - 64
The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia - 55

It's really a shame Bandai Namco owns the license for most anime games. They all deserve to flop.
One can only hope that most of these were flops and they'll start putting more time, money and effort into future games.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I love One Piece so i'm torn. I tend to find Game Informer pretty good with reviews, but it's weird to see them being a positive outlier for this game. I don't want to reward Bamco's continuing shitting on good IPs... but damn it's a One Piece game.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Working on my review because I didn't get a gigantic open-world 50 hour game until Sunday but, from my experience so far, trust the mid-range reviews. Ultra-short preview version based on my incomplete playthorugh- it's pretty ok. I don't mind playing it.

Protip- No autosave except when completing parts of missions, so save manually every now and then.

Regarding the treasure chest opening, it's so you don't dart in to a high-level area and yoink the goods with a single quick button-press before running like mad. Honestly, it hadn't even registered with me as a problem until people pointed it out.

dubsky

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Ugh I love One Piece so i'm torn. I tend to find Game Informer pretty good with reviews, but it's weird to see them being a positive outlier for this game. I don't want to reward Bamco's continuing shitting on good IPs... but damn it's a One Piece game.
I was hopeful for this game after how good the intro cutscene looked, but I'm not gonna let the fanboy in me get the best of me. I'm not dropping $60 for a 5/10 game.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
One can only hope that most of these were flops and they'll start putting more time, money and effort into future games.
Jump Force is the only game Bamco put in a lot of marketing and it's selling well. The rest was just dumped out with little fanfare. I don't think they care.

Last edited:

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I never trust reviews for anime licensed games.

If you like the IP, chances are there's some fun to be had. It's fanservice. I don't like One Piece so I'm uninterested, but I bet fans of the series will.
I never trust anime licensed games. At times, it's like publishers care even less about quality. The only exception I've seen in a while is DBFZ.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Well well well. I mean it looked disappointing and bad from the start and it didn't ever seem like it was destined to be good. Glad I kept away.

Last edited:

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Last 10 anime games from Bandai Namco (sans Dragon Ball)

One Piece: World Seeker - 53
Jump Force - 57
My Hero One's Justice - 68
Black Clover: Quartet Knights - 53
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker - 61
New Gundam Breaker - 43
One Piece: Grand Cruise - 35
Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time - 58
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - 64
The Seven Deadly Sins: Knights of Britannia - 55

It's really a shame Bandai Namco owns the license for most anime games. They all deserve to flop.

Why is Namco so bad at making games!

If you like the IP, chances are there's some fun to be had. It's fanservice. I don't like One Piece so I'm uninterested, but I bet fans of the series will.
Nope. I'm an OP fan of more than 15 years and there is no fun to be had in shitty games. A shitty game is a shitty game wether ur an anime fan or not.

Oct 27, 2017

I'm a One Piece fan and wouldn't think of paying full price for this regardless of how much I like it. Being a fan doesn't mean you'll suddenly excuse a bad game. At most you'll overlook some of the faults

Apr 16, 2018
Why is Namco so bad at making games!

Nope. I'm an OP fan of more than 15 years and there is no fun to be had in shitty games. A shitty game is a shitty game wether ur an anime fan or not.

You're entitled to feel that way.

I don't even like One Piece.
I'm a One Piece fan and wouldn't think of paying full price for this regardless of how much I like it. Being a fan doesn't mean you'll suddenly excuse a bad game. At most you'll overlook some of the faults

Okay? Who said you had to buy it at full price to enjoy it?

I never said being a fan means you'll excuse bad games, I said there's likely fun to be had if you enjoy the IP. Your mileage may vary, obviously but the idea that people like these games isn't unheard of and it's baffling that I even have to say this.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pirate Musou 3 is real good, but obviously a musou game so ymmv

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
One Piece is one my of favorite things in the world and even i knew this game will be a POS.

I dont know why its so hard to make a good one piece game.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I never said being a fan means you'll excuse bad games, I said there's likely fun to be had if you enjoy the IP. Your mileage may vary, obviously but the idea that people like these games isn't unheard of and it's baffling that I even have to say this.
It's crazy though fans are weird like that when you expect people to be aware of that.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
These games have made me nervous for the DB game coming out soon. I think the best anime game so far is that exclusive Naruto: Rise of a Ninja on Xbox 360.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
if One piece got an adaptation as good as storm the gif would be different.

I swear, namco Bandai doesn't know what they have, one piece is such a massive global brand yet they treat it so poorly, shonen jump in general.

I'm not saying give MHA or black clover a AAA budget but naruto, one piece, Dragonball, those are literally the biggest manga series, they've dumped money into DB and got good results but they fuck around too much.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
They just need to make Unlimited cruise 2.0 with new bigger islands and add the new attacks the crew has gotten since then, it is not that hard.

I don't know how they were able to get so much right with unlimited cruise and then so wrong with all the follow ups.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
reviews definitely all over the place so far. I love One Piece but I think I'm gonna pass on this one. Maybe down the road I'll pick it up

Oct 26, 2017
I've been a strong advocate for this game just because it was different than the usual licensed anime game fare.
Never did I expect it to be this polarizing.

I'm waiting for more reviews to come in, and I also want to try it first hand.

If it's majorly reviewed as bad, then Shueisha or whoever needs to yank the One Piece game rights away from Bandai Namco and Ganbarion. I've had enough of their shit.

dubsky

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I've been a strong advocate for this game just because it was different than the usual licensed anime game fare.
Never did I expect it to be this polarizing.

I'm waiting for more reviews to come in, and I also want to try it first hand.

If it's majorly reviewed as bad, then Shueisha or whoever needs to yank the One Piece game rights away from Bandai Namco and Ganbarion. I've had enough of their shit.
Give the license to ArcSys already.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Not even surprised lol. What game has this developer developed? And wth were they thinking about doing a one piece game with only one character. I'll give it a try once it hits bargain bin.
Unlimited Cruise and Pandora's Tower were some of my favourite games on the Wii.

I wish they would've doubled down on that experience (playing as the whole crew and having each allow you to do something different with the scenario, exploring the areas and unlocking new moves by hunting, fishing and crafting...) instead of multiplayer focus (with all the moves already avaliable) for World Red and trying to do open world with only Luffy here.

(That said, I haven't seen much of this game myself, and World Red was ok as a game besides some things that it did worse than the predecessors, so I trust Gambarion)

As for Unl. Cruise, I loved cutting up bamboo with Zoro, killing bunchs of enemies with Nami and running through land on her Scooter, as well as on top of the water with Brook to reach new areas. While Chopper and Luffy were great for bosses, Usopp, Franky and Robin would let you stay away for a while from those hard ones that would drain your life in seconds, like Whitebeard.
You also needed to keep Franky alive so that he could build bridges here and there with all the materials you had been gathering.

Everyone had a purpose in the crew, and you were glad to have them all.

Pandora's Tower felt very similar to those games in the crafting and game rhythm, having a hub and several areas around a theme were you would encounter different materials, albeit with the time limit and the areas being more similar to each other, probably because there were 12 towers instead of 4/5 islands.

Last edited:

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
I appreciate a good story but I'm not gonna go through a generic at best open world for 20 hours to experience that.

Nothing unreasonable there..!! That said, being fatigued on open worlds as is I actually am more forgiving if it could just compensate in some other area. xD As long as the gameplay itself ain't bad as in 'annoying' or of horrid integrity and more as in plain and rough around the edges.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
:(

I'm a huuuuge One Piece fan and while I was always skeptical on this I really hoped it would turn out decent

I watched IGN's video review

I'm sad now

dcd9b15889ab64e0092ab07f86b6f05c.png