• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Damn I had high hopes for this game. Might still get it when cheaper because I actually like One Piece. But only having Luffy as a playable character was a huge mistake.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Somehow most anime games suck, especially action adventures.

tenor.gif

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand how a massive franchise such as One Piece just can't get a truly good action/adventure-title. Surely the audience is big enough to warrant a larger budget?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But only having Luffy as a playable character was a huge mistake.

Not really. In an open world game like this, it will always be more wise to attempt to go all out with the moveset of one character as opposed to the entire Strawhat crew. It's something I'd like to see them improve on moving forward, there are other games (as well as other, much better suited genres for them to consider for future games) one could play to get if they want to play as other members of the crew.

Though I do get the argument that if it was going to be a middling experience regardless, that one would prefer it to be a middling experience where they get to play as everyone lol

Really shouldn't have make it an open world in the first place.

Nah, people have been wanting an open world OP game for ages. That won't change just because World Seeker, the first attempt, didn't turn out to be people's dream game. Just need better developers/higher budget behind it next time around.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i remember when i was really curious about this big ambitious game for the 20th anniversary..and it ended up being this one...
I just don't understand how a massive franchise such as One Piece just can't get a truly good action/adventure-title. Surely the audience is big enough to warrant a larger budget?
because it's truly massive only on japan and japan stopped being a relevant market years ago.

nowadays an "anime game" has to appeal to the west and on this side onepiece it's way behind properties like naruto, dragonball..even bleach and my hero academia have probably more western fans than onepiece at this point.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
i remember when i was really curious about this big ambitious game for the 20th anniversary..and it ended up being this one...

because it's truly massive only on japan and japan stopped being a relevant market years ago.

nowadays an "anime game" has to appeal to the west and on this side onepiece it's way behind properties like naruto, dragonball..even bleach and my hero academia have probably more western fans than onepiece at this point.
This being open world was probably an attempt to grab more people than the fans.

Last edited:

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Ouch. Last One Piece game I bought was Unlimited World Red and when I saw that this game was made by the same developers, I knew it wasn't going to be good. Hell at least in Unlimited World Red you can play as characters other than Luffy. One Piece deserves better than this.

Deleted member 24624

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Hero Academia isn't a surprise. It's the biggest Jump franchise to hit as hard as Naruto did in the early 2000's. Bleach though? Absolutely not. One Piece volumes are still getting published in English, the anime still has an on going dub, and has as much useless merchandise as other Jump series. Saying the west doesn't care about One Piece is extremely dumb.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
This game is crappy! Just played a couple of hours of it.

-A large circle on the map that I have to run around looking for the next quest trigger. Not my idea of fun. Give me a hint (landmark, etc) if you want me to look for it or just give me a dot on the map like most open world games.
-Combat feels slow, unresponsive and weirdly balanced. Grunts are quick to die and their melee attacks don't do much damage but the guns hit way too hard. The dodge doesn't mesh well with the combos. The IGN review was right, it would be nice to be able to cancel into it.
-A lot of QOL shit is baked into the skill tree (and expensive to boot!) Treasure chests take like 5 second to open and you have to buy a skill to unlock a faster open? Fuck off!
-The jump is too fast and too low. Feels terrible. That ruins the hover ability to a degree as you can't get enough air to use it in a way that feels good. Sure, you can use it off the rocket jump but why didn't they make the standard jump higher and floatier?
-Side quests are all fetch quests so far. Get 3 shells, get 5 berries, etc.

Lots of negatives and not many positives from what I've played so far. I need something to keep me occupied till Sekiro so I'll probably hold on to it for the time being but I'm disappointed that it doesn't feel nicer to play. The flow of the gameplay isn't as smooth as it feels like it should be. It feels herky-jerky.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
My dream OP game would be a RPG where you create your char and choose to be a pirate, marine or revolutionary.

But at this point I would be happy with Pirate Warriors 4, 3 was really fun with so many chars to play

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hero Academia isn't a surprise. It's the biggest Jump franchise to hit as hard as Naruto did in the early 2000's. Bleach though? Absolutely not. One Piece volumes are still getting published in English, the anime still has an on going dub, and has as much useless merchandise as other Jump series. Saying the west doesn't care about One Piece is extremely dumb.
i didn't say that the west doesn't care about onepiece, i said that it's massive only in japan, thus they are not gonna put the budget it would need for a great game on the table

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018

Of course but the studios behind those games are just not talented enough.

i didn't say that the west doesn't care about onepiece, i said that it's massive only in japan, thus they are not gonna put the budget it would need for a great game on the table

lol what ? it's the best seller in France by far which is the second biggest market after Japan in mangas/anime lol...

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played, and platinum'd/1000'd, Burning Blood as a PS4 import (I wanted the anime music edition) and as an X1 game. I played through Unlimited World Red on PS3, PS4 and...the 3DS. I think I'm gonna do fine here.
Not sure you should be bragging to us about wasting a ton of time on shitty games.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Needs alil shurololololo in it
Don't gaslight, it's rude. Gastino has nothing to do with Ceasar Clown.

IDK When game get made but I will be dissapoint if he not appear in the game.
Since Story is focus on science in one piece world and Germa 66 have some role.

Unless Oda save him for something

MarkMan

Arcade Stick Dev
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego, CA
I had this game for a few weeks but didn't have time to play it until today (launch day)... and I was... thoroughly surprised and enjoyed it more than I thought it would. Granted, for any games like these, you HAVE to be a fan to really enjoy it. I streamed it for a bit, so if you want to see some blind footage of it, check my archive here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/395732675

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I got rid of my copy. I found pretty much no aspect of the gameplato be fun. Mission design, traversal, combat, etc.

Dinoric

Oct 28, 2017
For anybody in here that has played One Piece Unlimited World Red would you say World Seeker is better or worse than that game?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yea, whatever happened to that one image of Mariejois burning lol

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I keep seeing this it's for the fans rebuttal...and ok fine.. But I can't play as sanji so it ain't that either
200.gif
Can't play as Zoro either which is far more important but I see your point.
This game looked ass from the jump though, I'm not shocked the reviews are middling.

BN puts out way too many of these anime games far too often for them to be very good. They always feel half baked like the devs had something but didn't quite reach the finish line

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Having played through this, I can definitely attest that this is a garbage game, and this is coming from one of the biggest One Piece fans alive. Even though people were calling it to be trash (correctly) from the first trailer, I held out hope that it would actually be good but that hope is all gone. It's repetitive, boring, and downright lazy in it's design. About the only fun thing I enjoyed was using Gomu Gomu no Rocket to traverse the land, and the graphics are nice, but that's literally about it. Fighting gets boring quickly due to it literally being a one button attack system, minus ranged and special attacks. Fighting some of the big hitters of the One Piece world invokes none of the excitement it should, and feels like you're dealing with with standard fodder enemies, except in the case of downright annoying and cheap bosses like Kizaru on higher difficulty. Speaking of difficulty, most of the fodder pirates/marines are more of a threat than some of the bosses, and even worse, the difficulty spikes randomly after certain chapters, even though you'll be dealing with the same enemies. It's about as lazy as a way to implement difficulty increase with no logic behind it, and it's even worse on the higher difficulties.

Basically, even if you're a hardcore One Piece fan like myself, I'd just say stay away or wait until it's inevitably in the bargin bin... and even then, I'd say you''re actually better off with One Piece Unlimited World Red, at least that was entertaining and you could play as the other Straw Hat's.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Here are my thoughts from the OT:
I'm 6 hours in and at chapter 7. The best thing about this game are the visuals. This is hands down the best looking One Piece game. It perfectly captures Oda's art style and is just dam colorful. Luffy animates well from fighting to even the movement of his clothes. The music is also good, despite it only playing for a short amount of time. It's cool that you can make your own custom soundtrack from the game's music. It just sucks that the majority of the game doesn't play the music in long sessions. The story seems alright, even if the whole pro-Navy vs. anti-Navy thing feels a bit clumsily handled. I'm into the whole prison island setting and it's politics and people that settle on the island. Jeanne is ok so far and Isaac seems like he could be a cool villain, although I still don't know much about him yet. Everything else though is a mixed bag.

The world, for as good as it looks, is mostly empty grass plains and towns filled with the same looking NPCs. None of which are all that memorable with the exception of Steel City. There are a lot of villages and Navy bases that mostly look the same. NPCs lack different emotions. They're all mostly smiling and stay smiling even when they're clearly suppose to be sad or angry. They also repeat models a lot so you'll see the same guy in a suit and top hat but in different colors throughout the game. I am baffled at how much this game has no voice acting. Not even for the main quests. Whenever a character talks you get short amounts of voice acting but it's not what they're saying in the text, it's mostly "Luffy!".

The gameplay has so many cool ideas that are executed so poorly. The camera is way too close to Luffy. In tight moments when you're surrounded or need to get a good look of the area around you your field of vision is too limited. Controlling Luffy feels weird and off. Your button presses take almost a second to register and Luffy is very slippery in moving around. You can easily fall off a mountain cuz you didn't time your input and Luffy wouldn't stop moving. It's not tight and because of that combat suffers from feeling like you're not in control. This game should have had a constant lock-on instead of having it be based around you controlling a reticle at all times. I get that the devs want you to have full control of where you're looking as to make the range combat an important mechanic but I feel like it doesn't work. It doesn't help that the range attack in Armament Haki trivializes fights and puts you at a safe advantage. So many of the exploration skills that you have to spend points to get should have with you from the very beginning. You shouldn't have to buy Gum Gum UFO and Gum Gum Rocket. They both make traversing the world so much more fun. Rocket should also let you glide longer. Why can't Luffy swing around like Spider-Man? They show him doing it in cutscenes and all you get in the game is a half-assed swinging mechanic that only works on specific billboards in Steel City. The chests taking long to open is just LOL. Like, I get that the game doesn't want to steal chests quickly from enemies but come on game. And finally, the quests are boring. It's mostly been fetch quests and meet someone here and there. Nothing spectacular.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Aside from the franchise's peak back in the early 2010s, One Piece games never sold especially well, even in Japan itself, for some reason compared to how successful the anime and manga are. Merchandising-wise too, One Piece is much smaller than what the tv ratings and manga volumes sales would indicate. For some reason, One Piece's audience just doesn't seem to be all that fond of spending in products outside of the series itself.

Last edited: