• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Sayonara to all the beautiful wide shot action sequences from S1 where you actually have a clear view on well choreographed and animated fights.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao. This is not nearly on the same level as Berserk. The animation is serviceable. The stiffness and over reliance on camera pans to give a sense of movement to sparsely animated shots is all still here from the trailer, but it's all...fine.

Like a lot of you, I'm expecting this to start to implode a few episodes in.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
To me Episode 1 sort of feels like the first episode of a show that's getting 24-48 episodes in a single year... even though this season is probably only 12 episdes.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Notice how every single cut in this trailer is from this episode.

That, er, doesn't bode well for the rest of the production schedule.
That's actually pretty common for PVs also I'm pretty sure they already had episode 2 done when releasing this so it was most likely a choice for them to not spoil much

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
It's not too bad, but the alarms are going off hardcore for the future episodes though. Also each shot emphasizing the metallic parts of the cyborgs are really ugly.

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
This looked slightly better than I expected, compared to season 1 first episode, it's terrible but on its own, it's just ok. Though I don't expect future episodes to be any better than this. Art wise it was consistent, but the colour grading is really ugly.

But my biggest criticism wasn't the animation, but more the direction. I thought the pacing was too fast early on and I disliked how the kept cutting away during the action scenes.

Despite its problems, I can still see myself enjoying the show, so that's good I guess.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually pretty common for PVs also I'm pretty sure they already had episode 2 done when releasing this so it was most likely a choice for them to not spoil much
I would hope that on March 19th, which was then the trailer dropped, they would have already finished an episode due to air on April 16th because, er, yeah.

It's also worth noting that the same material was used for the trailer from December 21st, which was basically stills. You can even see they changed the art - the colours are different, Saitama's shirt was organge, Genos didn't look all shiny etc.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
3odiqlj7gar21.png

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Looked fine. I guess now the posts have been moved to waiting for that one episode, whenever it comes this season, where people can say see... They're not madhouse!

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
You know what? This was ok. I will reserve judgement and see what they can do when an actual fight comes into play.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping this ends up on Toonami some time but lol not likely given Hulu exclusivity. If not will probably binge watch it down the line.

More worried about the story than the animation TBH. It's obvious we ain't getting the sakuga goodness that was S1 and I'm ok with it, just hoping the rest of the direction and writing is good to make up for that.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that doesn't sound that bad. 50 hours a week. Needs more info like how much they are getting paid.
LOLOLOL people getting paid in the anime industry hahahahahahaha they'll make 2 beans each.

Also, no, people being "forced to work on their off days" isn't alright, neither is staff being hospitalized.

It's slightly better than working down a mine but they'd make more money working in a fast food joint.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, dip in quality was massive as expected, but we all knew that. All comes down to the content now.

They burned King too quickly, there was no subtlety.

I liked the sound they choose for the King Engine so there is that.

My only problem is that they go off model a lot, not in the normal sense but they over stylize the drawing some times and some proportions look weird for a moment.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was actually alright! It'll be a shame if there are zero extravagantly animated fights for the entirety of the series, but there was some cool storyboarding in there. Everything looked clean and I loved the colors, too.

The OP song is cool, but even then there doesn't seem to be any interesting animation.

Can't wait to see what Suiryu's like, I've seen pics of him, now I want to see him fight.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
[One Punch Man: Season 2] - 1

If you're coming into this series with expectations based on the quality of the original season than your going to be severely dissapointed. If you've reigned in your 'hype' based on the trailers released then this might be palatable. Very broadly, OPMS2 looks and feels like a pretty 'average' series, for all that entails. It's watchable and I can see some people enjoying it. However, this season will never be able to escape the shadow that the original season will cast, which means it's basically screwed because that original production was pretty miraculous and what we're getting here is a lot more "normal".

Whether the series can even maintain this modicum of quality remains to be seen considering the marketing material hasn't shown us a single image from outside of this 1st episode. As 1st episodes tend to have the longest production time they're usually amongst the best looking episodes in a series - so by the 4th or 5th episode we'll have a better idea what the 'average' quality of the series is.

To be clear, this episode had a few decent shots in it. It even had the occasional flashes (and I do mean very brief moments) of acceptable animation:

opms2e17blknd.png

opms2e186xjuv.png

But there wasn't really any "flow" to the action storyboards or the animation. Every time we were about to get an action beat, like two fighters colliding dramatically, the shot cut to something static like the crowd or the ground. So it basically felt like watching a normal action scene where about 50-60% of the frames had been removed and we were just left with all the "build up" and "reaction to action" shots without much of the "action". This made every single action scene feel disjointed, confusing and awkward because there was literally no rhythm.

I don't think there's anything to be really gained by nit-picking tons of details, but some shots just looked rubbish. I'm surprised how long the camera held on drawings like these:

opms2e111uck3q.png

opms2e112gljl8.png

opms2e110qdke3.png

They just look incredibly cheap. That's without getting into the blur on Geno's metal which is awful. It's not like they don't know how to draw decent stills:

opms2e113cwk2a.png

opms2e12a1k75.png

If this is the "best" the series has to offer I'm pretty concerned for the later episodes. On the other hand, this season is adapting an incredibly boring and tedious arc from the manga so...yeah.

Dec 28, 2018
Well the first episode wasn't an absolute disaster like I thought it was going to be. The art and animation was average to say the least and the episode overall was eh. And unless the story of season two is a vast improvement over season ones I think I'll just drop it for now. Cause honestly the only reason I finished season one was because of how good the art and animation was.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The nicest thing I can say about the premier is that it didn't have early Dragonball Super-tier animation.

Whether or not it'll eventually reach that point remains to be seen.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
I might be getting my wires crossed, but was there something about this season where it wouldn't be finish until towards the end of the year?
Even though it's like 13 episodes?

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
But there wasn't really any "flow" to the action storyboards or the animation. Every time we were about to get an action beat, like two fighters colliding dramatically, the shot cut to something static like the crowd or the ground. So it basically felt like watching a normal action scene where about 50-60% of the frames had been removed and we were just left with all the "build up" and "reaction to action" shots without much of the "action". This made every single action scene feel disjointed, confusing and awkward because there was literally no rhythm.

I don't think there's anything to be really gained by nit-picking tons of details, but some shots just looked rubbish. I'm surprised how long the camera held on drawings like these:

opms2e111uck3q.png

opms2e112gljl8.png

opms2e110qdke3.png

They just look incredibly cheap. That's without getting into the blur on Geno's metal which is awful.

Yeah these two things stuck out to me too. Especially those shots of Genos. Oof.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I might be getting my wires crossed, but was there something about this season where it wouldn't be finish until towards the end of the year?
Even though it's like 13 episodes?
There was an inaccurate rumor a while back that the first episode would air in late 2018 and the rest of the season would air in 2020. You might be thinking of that.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching the first episode now and its not terrible but its by no means the stand out in terms of animation, directing and even soundtrack that the first season was. It seems middling which for this type of show is probably worse than just being outright terrible.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One Pan Man

Yeah, this was quite mediocre. If this is what they are putting out in the first episode, I'm worried about what we'll get a few episodes from now when the production really starts to collapse.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, trying to look for some of the S1 fight scenes on YouTube sure is terrifying. "60 FPS" everywhere -_-

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I'm sorry.

I just couldn't handle the first 30 seconds of this episode and started to notice all the changes at once, and had to close the window, to keep my memories on the good side of this series, I'll just straight up drop this one and keep only S1 on my mind. I hope a better studio picks up the pieces and remakes this. And does S3.

Let Bones finish MP100 and then let them work on OPM at least.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Honestly I thought it was fine, not worth the hate it had due to that preview.

Yeah there were some noticeable animation difference, but didn't care.

Considering season 2/episode 1 is the only thing we've seen I'm sure the other episodes will surprise us.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017

Considering season 2/episode 1 is the only thing we've seen I'm sure the other episodes will surprise us.
Are you familiar with anime production?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Later episodes might surprise us but I don't think in a positive way.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Massive disappointment. The show has horrible direction and pacing with serviceable animation. It's made even worse by the fact that season 1 exists and is fantastic on all fronts. VA changes was expected I guess. Tough to say whether or not I'll stick with it or just read the manga. SJ recently released all the chapters to go through. Man, this really sucks

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Are you familiar with anime production?

Not a full understanding but I know about grueling work shedules which switch between different projects, multiple people drawing or using computers (depending on the type of animation).

Later episodes might surprise us but I don't think in a positive way.

I'm always more positive then negative so I think later episode will be good :)

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Wait how was this "rushed"? It's been a couple of years. Why did they switch studios?

I'm pretty bummed. I really loved the animation of S1.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
Wait how was this "rushed"? It's been a couple of years. Why did they switch studios?

The second season did not start production immediately after season one finished, so it has not been a couple of years. According to people, production only began last year, and there were a lot of issues, hence the rush.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bunch of reasons. Season 1 covered almost everything available in terms of manga material which meant a second season was either gonna be filler or wait for Murata's redrawn version to provide enough material. Madhouse and the freelancers were not going to stick around for a season that would be years in the future and took on other projects. Thus a new studio was brought on and not one with a history of getting great animators on board for projects or producing amazing action anime.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Massive disappointment. The show has horrible direction and pacing with serviceable animation. It's made even worse by the fact that season 1 exists and is fantastic on all fronts. VA changes was expected I guess. Tough to say whether or not I'll stick with it or just read the manga. SJ recently released all the chapters to go through. Man, this really sucks
I'd honestly recommend for anyone who's really disappointed with this season to just pick up the manga instead. Instead of lamenting at how disappointing the production values are, you can marvel at how good Murata's art is.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Meh, the animation is servicable, and I care about the the story first and foremost, so let's see how this season turns out. If the first season had been done with animation like this I would have still loved it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gave the first episode a shot, expecting it to be pretty bad. Honestly, it was okay, and a few of the shots were indeed improved from the PV. The issue really comes from the fact that S1 set the bar so extremely high and there's no way S2 was ever going to meet that. The animation here is serviceable, there were a few shots that impressed me a bit, and the gags still land.

The only two things that really rubbed me the wrong way this episode was the way some of the art was composited and also the overall editing. For whatever reason there's multiple shots where Saitama's anatomy feels just off, which is especially notable with his bald head. I also don't know why they insist on the very gross looking gradient texture on characters like him and King, it's a poor effect and would look way better clean. The metal texture on the mechanical portions in particular look really cheap. The second part that bothered me about the episode was the pacing and editing. It feels like they really tried to cram in a whole bunch of stuff into the first outing and that leaves so little breathing room, and I feel it kind of does King and Saitama's budding friendship a bit of a disservice. Compare that to S1's first episode where it felt like there was quite a few moments of breathing room. Then again, I'm not sure even a better studio could have come around the fact that this particular portion of the manga was never "long" enough to encompass two episodes, nor "short" enough to encompass one.

I expect the next couple of episodes may be a little better in this regard, but we'll see. I'm a little worried about how the animation quality will hold up, I don't suspect it'll start getting rough until episode 5 or so.