• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow this episode was disjointed, is the budget that tight that a fight can start we get 2 frames of animation and then it ends? How can a company put out mediocre work like this and stay in business.

The problem is scheduling. For this episode alone they had use three times the usual amount of animators required to put the finishing touches on the episode in order to get it out on time. That's something that usually happens near the end of a season, not at the beginning.

That rumor that by this time last month only three episodes were finished seems to be true after all.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people are hoping for the story and humor to save this season...

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
If people are hoping for the story and humor to save this season...
tournament was pretty funny, Metal Bat character should also be enjoyable this season, also I think all the stuff with Garou is more interesting storywise then anything in season 1

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, why is Hulu removing episodes of this show? I went to start watching S2 last night and they only had E13 and E14 on there? Makes no sense to me.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tournament was pretty funny, Metal Bat character should also be enjoyable this season, also I think all the stuff with Garou is more interesting storywise then anything in season 1

Most all of this stuff relies entirely on Murata's amazing art which season 2 has come nowhere close to living up to.

Uh, why is Hulu removing episodes of this show? I went to start watching S2 last night and they only had E13 and E14 on there? Makes no sense to me.

Those are episodes 1 and 2 of the second season

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
On the OPM Hulu page, click where it says Season 2. You can select Season 1 where it has all episodes either dubbed or subbed. Nothing has been removed.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying the season despite the issues.

Just hope the original team comes back together for the next season

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really liking this season so far but I hope the people in charge show more respect to this series by allowing more time for a studio to do their best and making sure they have enough resources and time to make this show the best it can be. This goes for any show, really.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
JAM Project is always good even with them trying to match them with the most unhype visuals ever

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I'm enjoying the show a lot but I can immediately tell the difference in the animation quality. It doesn't look as good or as smooth as season 1.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, the lack of animation in episode 2 was highly disappointing. Felt like it was pages of the manga that they added some effects to. Guess I need to go watch season 2 of Mob Psycho instead....

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
You know, i think i like the visuals of the op a lot too. And things like the machine-gun blows i thought was meant to illustrate that it felt like all the punches were basically landing simultaneously. Idk. I can see that its less elaborate than the first season in some spots but not to the degree where it feels actively bad.

And a lot of people's complaints about the tone being more serious and scarcity of big action scenes kind of is just how this part of the comic was written.

Things get bigger later on, but they also get much darker.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like it lacks kinetic followthrough. There's no real impact on any of the violence, so it feels incredibly flighty and you never really get a grip on anything from the perspective of the world. Especially compared to how perfect it was last season.

It's incredibly jarring. It's a failure of cinematography and framing on top of the animation being ugly.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
2 episodes in. Nothing consequential has happened. Animation is shit but your bait is glorious.
So you're saying people are pretending to enjoy this just to troll you? Honestly king's reveal is something ive been waiting for and anticipating more than almost anything else. It might be "small", but part of the show is that small things are important too.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
New antagonist seems cool. A lot of this season's problems are more than just animation. The direction, framing, and visual storytelling are really, really bad. It's stilted and nothing feels natural.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
2 episodes in. Nothing consequential has happened. Animation is shit but your bait is glorious.

Lol I didn't think people were hating on the plot/story progression itself so much to the point that anyone would think that comment is bait.

And how? This 2 episode not even have big stuff going lol

Idk man I just find this plot stuff engaging. I also didn't have like sky high love for season 1.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
yup, episode 2 is just terrible, i thought i would wait the end of the season to read the manga, but i'll do it right now

still gonna watch the anime to see the trainwreck, and if we're lucky, MAYBE one episode were they did their best on a big fight

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You know, i think i like the visuals of the op a lot too. And things like the machine-gun blows i thought was meant to illustrate that it felt like all the punches were basically landing simultaneously. Idk. I can see that its less elaborate than the first season in some spots but not to the degree where it feels actively bad.

The problem is it seems like they've taken every single shortcut they can find to avoid actually animating absolutely anything, which is the real reason they took that approach to genos machine gun blows attack. It's just made worse because everything will inevitably be compared to season 1.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Caught up with the first two episodes. It's not as good as S1, but I already made my peace with the fact it wasn't going to be. I'm still enjoying it well enough. I'd probably put in on par with some of the short OVA episodes. Well... Episode 1 at least.

So far, not the disaster I was expecting.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is it seems like they've taken every single shortcut they can find to avoid actually animating absolutely anything, which is the real reason they took that approach to genos machine gun blows attack. It's just made worse because everything will inevitably be compared to season 1.
I don't agree that everything feels low effort. Blizzard's attacks for example look really elaborate, and i love the way they depicted high speed movement. Its kind of getting into that thing with the deep sea king, where right now we're in a part of the story where a lot of fights are over very quickly and arent intended to look particularly flashy. Im not saying that's all of it, but its definitely some of it. And things like not seeing the actual moment where saitama punches the giant bird don't feel lazy to me, they feel dramatic. Like, we're not seeing it from the optimal perspective where we can understand what's happening, we're seeing what king sees: the bird basically being deleted from existence. And touches like how he gently holds back the bird with an open palm convey so much, we didn't really need to see the punch. I'm not saying you called out that scene in particular, im saying that scene is much more important to me than the robot fight in that same episode, which i thought looked fine.

OPM is a strange one for this discussion because i actually don't think the extended action scenes are the climax the way they are in something like mob. (Which i can clearly tell is meticulously and excellently animated btw)

I dunno. I kind of get the complaints, but i still like what im seeing.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of panning in still image to save animation, but hey they got the boobs animation 🤦‍♀️

I should forget the animation this season and just focus on the story

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Focusing on the story is what I'm doing. This animation isn't the most distracting I've seen so It's not too hard for me anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of panning in still image to save animation, but hey they got the boobs animation 🤦‍♀️

I should forget the animation this season and just focus on the story

Yeah, I noticed that on Blizzard at least a couple of times. Very cringey.

Aside from that though I am still enjoying it though. It doesn't seem quite as energetic as the first season but I'm invested because I like the characters and the whole setup of the world. Garou seems like an interesting villain who's much more threatening than most from S1, and I like that they're characterising him from now as opposed to most S1 villains who didn't get much screen time.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I find it funny that heroes like Saitama are the last thing on Garou's mind since he doesn't seem interested in heroes lower than Class B - at least not yet.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
episode 3
Color me impressed, this episode was a massive improvement over the first two, after the low point that was episode 2 I was worried that it was only going to get worse but the fight this episode actually looked good, here's to hoping that episode 2 really was the lowest point of the season

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
episode 3
Color me impressed, this episode was a massive improvement over the first two, after the low point that was episode 2 I was worried that it was only going to get worse but the fight this episode actually looked good, here's to hoping that episode 2 really was the lowest point of the season
Whoa, really? Actually somewhat excited to check it out later then. Neat.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
That was really fun. I was seriously worried for some of my favourite characters. With that said, the ending and also the post-credits scene made me laugh. Classic clueless Saitama. I really thought he had recognised who was responsible but nah, of course he hadn't.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
The comedic timing on this episode was very good. I really can't wait until the climax of this arc. The ending here really sold how terrifying that experience must have been for Garo, while also not undercutting the inherent goofiness of the situation

lemonade

May 8, 2018
In a love hate relationship with Season 2. It's so funny yet the animation is such a downgrade.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a bad episode, considering the previous ones. Still a few jarring cuts and pacing, but quite enjoyable.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this episode was pretty good. Still had rough spots and obviously still not close to season 1, but it was pretty good, decent animation during fightscenes, and comedic delivery was better too.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Halfway through, this is a massive improvement in animation quality and direction as compared to episode 2.