• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watched EP3 yesterday, very good animation and detail on par with or even better than some S1 episodes.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
If it wasn't for the episode ending I'd almost believe this show had become what it lampooned.
Well here's hoping they can give a fun sendup of the obligatory martial arts tourney, so far I'm more ambivalent questioning the plot than I am about the animation.
OPM does get a bit more shounen with this arc, but I feel like the way the author handles this arc and resolves it is a lot better than other shounen shows.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
OPM does get a bit more shounen with this arc, but I feel like the way the author handles this arc and resolves it is a lot better than other shounen shows.
I think the shift that people feel in this arc is from it moving out of the realm of "parody" and more into "deconstruction". They make good on the question of "what is the point of power", and actually go deeper on that in a way the first few arcs couldn't. the rules don't change: Saitama is invincible and powerful beyond reason. but moments where that is clear are not so much used as punchlines, (pun not intended) and matter more to the characters around him. And there's still a lot of funny moments.

The climax of this storyline hit me really hard. The art of the webcomic also matures a lot around this time as well, to the point where I don't think they really need to stick to what the manga adaptation has covered. I was comparing the two comic versions, and was interested to see plenty of moments I remembered from the anime that were inspired by the webcomic rather than the manga. ONE really knows how to convey emotion through visuals.

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 3 might have that Saitama owns bad guy gimmick, but I don't think it's gotten stale simply because of the different setup. Monsters like the Deep Sea King and Boros were set up in that sense where they felt untouchable when it came to the other heroes, so much so that I actually thought that perhaps Saitama will have some challenge in defeating them. Not only that, Saitama knew who he was fighting against.

When it comes to Garou, he actually takes damage from some of the heroes he faces. Even though he's studying their attacks, he still takes damage. Despite being surprised at the ending of the latest episode, Garou's vulnerability made it very clear that Saitama would destroy him without much effort. What's different is how it happens and the context behind it. Saitama has no idea who he even is, just like he didn't know who Tank Top Master and Charanko was. He's shopping for his martial arts tournament debut and that's it.

All this make this Saitama vs. villain encounter different from Season 1's monsters and feels fresh. Not to mention that Garou's clearly not done. Sonic is the closest character I can think of when comparing Garou and even then, there's a vast difference.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked ep. 3 a lot, but I think they really shouldn't have taken out this bit of dialogue:

0048-017.png

The "Until now, I've beaten most opponents with one punch" line is what gets Saitama actually interested in martial arts. In the anime, he just seems interested because he's interested, with no reason to believe it will actually give him the challenge he's looking for. Omitting that line was a blunder, IMO. Still, excellent episode.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I really liked ep. 3 a lot, but I think they really shouldn't have taken out this bit of dialogue:

0048-017.png

The "Until now, I've beaten most opponents with one punch" line is what gets Saitama actually interested in martial arts. In the anime, he just seems interested because he's interested, with no reason to believe it will actually give him the challenge he's looking for. Omitting that line was a blunder, IMO. Still, excellent episode.
i think it comes across anyways tbh. he's clearly learning martial arts in order to fight garo, which is what makes the encounter at the end of the episode so hilarious.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i think it comes across anyways tbh. he's clearly learning martial arts in order to fight garo, which is what makes the encounter at the end of the episode so hilarious.
Right, but without that line, he has no reason to believe martial arts is any more formidable than anything else. With that line, it's clear why he becomes hopeful about martial arts in particular: Someone else had their "one punch" curse broken by a martial arts master. So he hopes martial arts will break his "one punch" curse too.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Right, but without that line, he has no reason to believe martial arts is any more formidable than anything else. With that line, it's clear why he becomes hopeful about martial arts in particular: Someone else had their "one punch" curse broken by a martial arts master. That's why he gets hopeful for it; he hopes martial arts will break his "one punch" curse too.
I just don't think it necessarily needs to be that spelled out.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't think it necessarily needs to be that spelled out.
It's not about spelling it out; it's about giving proper motivation. He sees all sorts of different fighting styles all over, and has seen heroes beaten by all sorts of different attacks; why does he suddenly seem to give special attention to martial arts? It's because someone who finishes off opponents just like him (in one punch) was beaten by it. That's absent in the anime; he's just suddenly interested in martial arts for seemingly no reason.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saitama is entering the tournament for money. Seems like a good enough reason for his character.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The latest issue of the original webcomic has the funniest page I've read in maybe 3 years.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
It's not about spelling it out; it's about giving proper motivation. He sees all sorts of different fighting styles all over, and has seen heroes beaten by all sorts of different attacks; why does he suddenly seem to give special attention to martial arts? It's because someone who finishes off opponents just like him (in one punch) was beaten by it. That's absent in the anime; he's just suddenly interested in martial arts for seemingly no reason.
and we're back to the part where i say it already seemed clear he was interested in fighting garou because he gave a strong guy who was used to winning a lot of trouble, and hopes he will be the same for him.

we're going in circles here. I think the intended information imparted in that scene still comes across. it's ok if you don't!

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
and we're back to the part where i say it already seemed clear he was interested in fighting garou because he gave a strong guy who was used to winning a lot of trouble, and hopes he will be the same for him.

we're going in circles here. I think the intended information imparted in that scene still comes across. it's ok if you don't!
Saitama doesn't even know who Tank Top Master is, except "the guy who got beat up the most." He's just some rando who got beat up. The missing information is that Saitama now knows TTM's strong enough to defeat most enemies in one punch. In the anime, he doesn't know that, so shouldn't have a reason to think martial arts is special, since it's just some rando being beat up as far as he's concerned. Maybe you as the viewer connect the dots since you see TTM fight, but Saitama doesn't know, which is why in that manga panel he suddenly perks up after hearing that line.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Saitama doesn't even know who Tank Top Master is, except "the guy who got beat up the most." He's just some rando who got beat up. The missing information is that Saitama now knows TTM's strong enough to defeat most enemies in one punch. In the anime, he doesn't know that, so shouldn't have a reason to think martial arts is special, since it's just some rando being beat up as far as he's concerned. Maybe you as the viewer connect the dots since you see TTM fight, but Saitama doesn't know, which is why in that manga panel he suddenly perks up after hearing that line.
that sounds like a very tiny nitpick in this of all shows.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Mumen Rider told Saitama that TTM is a Class S Hero. TTM complained that he hates martial arts. That got Saitama's attention (Saitama says "Martial arts?" after TTM complained) and he gave him a banana to explain in more detail. Saitama then goes to Charanko.

That's pretty clear to me that Saitama's curious about martial arts and also is interestered in the prize money to enter the tournament.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
New episodes out, pretty decent, I say somewhere between episode 1 and 3 in terms of quality, they are still ghosting and that's a problem but my real problems with the episodes aren't even the episodes fault, I had a problem with this Arc in the manga, it cuts way too much back and forth with the monsters and the tournament

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
This was another great episode but it's torture to wait a whole week for the next episode, which obviously is normal but it really sucks since the there were like 3 different plot threads in a single episode and that means things aren't moving that fast.

I'm liking Garou just as much as before.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Centipede giving berserk like quality flashbacks.

Y'all need to rewatch berserk 2016/7, the centipede cgi was actually quite good and animated pretty well.

On the other hand both Garo and Metal Bat went off model quite often.

Show continues to be a resounding meh, this part drags qutie a bit

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that was incredibly underwhelming... A disappointment compared to what I fantasized this fight looking like before we ever got our first look at the anime. I got my hopes up after last episode's Tank top master vs Garou fight. And some of the character designs in this episode, metal bat, garou and the snobby rich kid looked kinda off.

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it. Garo is at least an interesting villain who they're giving some depth to. I kind of want to see how he compares to Genos in a fight.

This was another great episode but it's torture to wait a whole week for the next episode, which obviously is normal but it really sucks since the there were like 3 different plot threads in a single episode and that means things aren't moving that fast.

I'm liking Garou just as much as before.

Yeah; I first watched OPM I think in late 2017 when it all went up on UK Netflix, and I've rewatched it all several times since. Waiting for each episode to go live like this is kinda tedious, and not something I've done in years!

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Decent episode, same quality as last week, they still need to chill with all the blur effects and ghosting

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Awwww, I wanted to see more of the martial arts tournament.

Still, the new threat is starting to make more sense. I recognise one of the monsters from the opening now. Things aren't looking good for this world.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Okay with this current pacing I have no idea at what point they're stopping, current Arc isn't finished and it looks like they're going to pass the point they should have stopped at, this season is going to end right in the middle of an arc

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
God fucking dammit

Before the change in studio was announced, I was salivating over how awesome Garou vs Metal would look animated, and that dogshit is seriously the best that they could do?

Honestly, fuck JC Staff. Here's hoping that the inevitable gap between Seasons 2 and 3 will cause the series to change hands to Bones.