• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
God fucking dammit

Before the change in studio was announced, I was salivating over how awesome Garou vs Metal would look animated, and that dogshit is seriously the best that they could do?

Honestly, fuck JC Staff. Here's hoping that the inevitable gap between Seasons 2 and 3 will cause the series to change hands to Bones.
It's not all the studios fault, I'm sure if they had a better production schedule and the original director from season 1 back then this season would have looked as good as the first one

luqi

Oct 28, 2017
I watched the first episodes this weekend and I was actually okay with the animation. Given the trailer I expected worse tbh

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's not all the studios fault, I'm sure if they had a better production schedule and the original director from season 1 back then this season would have looked as good as the first one

That and Murata drawing volume length fight scenes of insane detail and quality which would have been a challenge for even the season 1 team to adapt faithfully.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Me right now talking to myself in my head after watching episode 5: "Please, don't complain. Please don't complain. Please don't complain".

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
aba.gif

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
God fucking dammit

Before the change in studio was announced, I was salivating over how awesome Garou vs Metal would look animated, and that dogshit is seriously the best that they could do?

Honestly, fuck JC Staff. Here's hoping that the inevitable gap between Seasons 2 and 3 will cause the series to change hands to Bones.
This was never JC Staff's fault so that is highly unwarranted

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This was never JC Staff's fault so that is highly unwarranted
I'm not saying that its entirely their fault, obviously, but regardless of the poor production schedule and change in director, JC Staff is still a mediocre studio that shouldn't have been let anywhere near a big action property like OPM. If it were a studio like Bones putting out something lackluster for example, I'd be more forgiving.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying that its entirely their fault, obviously, but regardless of the poor production schedule and change in director, JC Staff is still a mediocre studio that shouldn't have been let anywhere near a big action property like OPM. If it were a studio like Bones putting out something lackluster for example, I'd be more forgiving.
You would be more forgiving if Bones out something mediocre? That sounds backwards as hell.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
x24.png

ghosting.jpg

Can't see shit, captain.

Man, I was looking forward to the day this fight got animated so bad. I remember Garou vs. Metal Bat being the hypest shit back when these chapters were first coming out.

They're also blazing through this shit like crazy. Considering the arc isn't even done in the manga yet, it's a weird choice for sure. The anime is gonna get caught up at this rate and we won't see another season for years

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God that fucking clap sound they used for Genos. It's like two fish flopping against each other.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
man, I really didn't think this was that bad.

It's at the point where i can't really predict what y'alls reaction will be, the quality from my perspective stays at the same decent level

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
man, I really didn't think this was that bad.

It's at the point where i can't really predict what y'alls reaction will be, the quality from my perspective stays at the same decent level
I agree that the quality stayed the same it's just Garou Vs metal bat was such a good fight in the Manga, it's understandable why people are really disappointed with what got

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
the pacing is starting to be a problem now. Seems like a source material thing though

Except its the exact opposite problem. The manga started to really drag and the anime is blazing through this stuff at high speeds.

People were complaining about the second season of Mob Psycho 100 moving too fast but OPM S2 is sprinting to a finish line that doesn't exist yet.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
You would be more forgiving if Bones out something mediocre? That sounds backwards as hell.
Because it would be proof that their output is only lacking because of shitty circumstances. With JC Staff, this season would be lackluster no matter the circumstances.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I signed up for the Saitama show, not the dweeb circus.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Show continues to look rough.

Seems like a great time for a beach episode or maybe Saitama and Genos can try and get their driver's licenses.

Well looked at from another perspective, I guess you could argue that maybe anime-only viewers might prefer filler, that way it increases the chance of the canon stuff being adapted better... Maybe.

I signed up for the Saitama show, not the dweeb circus.

Come for the Saitama, stay for the Metal Bat :3

Oct 29, 2017
I don't mind how it looks anymore, it just look like most anime. Still I keep my hopes for a few interesting looking scenes.

If there is one thing in this story arc that I hope it gets the animation it deserves is
Speed of Light Flash vs the ninjas. Specifically the part that is all in slow motion for a few pages.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
It still has it's comedy and Parody tone, it just takes longer to get to the punchline because of all the long choreograph fights in the manga
Still. It's kinda a bummer that they're playing it more straight than S1.

Like, I'm not too invested in whatever Garou's backstory and the various dojo people are doing. As a fan of the comedy, all that non-ironic, summarize-in-3-sentences-or-less buildup for the gag at the end of episode 3 feels a bit sparse.

It was still pretty great though.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who's only read the original webcomic, the appeal of this part of the story is mostly "watch all these losers barely survive every fight, knowing that saitama could end them all with a flick ot his pinky". And also a second theme that makes it kind of clear why saitama is sort of sidelined, eventually
Garou is becoming strong through force of will and trancending his limitations the same way Saitama did.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh.

Oh.

Well that revelation sucks more than the show's animation quality.

The webcomic is very much in tune with what was shown in the first season, but the manga only additions do feel like they indulge in the classic trope stable pretty often.

That being said art and fights are better than every other shonen series out there atm, and the comedic payoff to the whole thing is usually great.

The anime is rushing along at the speed of a runaway train though. We didn't get lightning max's introspection from fighting the sea king, we barely saw his fight, we didnt see saitama fight, metal bat's was rushed as all hell, bang was a footnote god i shiver thinking that they might speed this up to some point in the early MA arc.

Legit one of the worst adaptations in recent memory

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'll try reading the manga or the webcomic, I guess

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind season 2, so far. I feel like it's dragging itself out, but apparently it's blazing through the manga really fast? That's a weird contradiction. I guess they could've produced this anime better.

But anyway, I laughed when Saitama tied his karate belt like a shoelace in this episode.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I don't mind season 2, so far. I feel like it's dragging itself out, but apparently it's blazing through the manga really fast? That's a weird contradiction. I guess they could've produced this anime better.

But anyway, I laughed when Saitama tied his karate belt like a shoelace in this episode.
The Manga itself was slow paced but it's mainly the fights themselves that people have a problem with how they're covering it, Garou Vs Metal Bat was a big fight and one of the best in the series but the anime not only blaze through it, they cut a bunch of content from that fight

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Manga itself was slow paced but it's mainly the fights themselves that people have a problem with how they're covering it, Garou Vs Metal Bat was a big fight and one of the best in the series but the anime not only blaze through it, they cut a bunch of content from that fight

Ah, I see. That's lame.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I still enjoy watching enough, but my biggest issue watching is when I can obviously tell when the directors are going "Shit! We don't have enough time to detail all this action! Do this scene and then cut away!"

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to like Garou as a person. He seems like a good (not morality) character

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Just started to watch the episodes, it doesn't look awful. I thought with all this complaining it was going to be on the same level as early Dragon Ball Super or the Berserk show, but nah it looks normal. People exaggerated about how it looks.

Anyway it feels extremely fast paced. It seems like they're going to outpace the manga at this rate. I guess they might just cut out more content and just follow the webcomic strictly after a certain point.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think from now on I'll just focus on the positives because complaining about the animation is tedious at this point. Complaints are justified, but they've all been said already.

I enjoyed watching these characters animated. That's all. Love them in the manga, and love them here. And, I love ONE's humor. That is still intact for the most part.

I don't understand the complaints about Saitama becoming less of a focal point. Garou is great, and I'm really fond of the other S class heroes. That's not to say that when Saitama disappears and returns (after other heroes get to shine) I'm unhappy about it, but the other heroes are good and have great fights. You're rarely gonna see these kind of fights with a one-shot fighter. The novelty would wear off quickly. If you're expecting Saitama vs Boros every episode you're likely not gonna get it.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think from now on I'll just focus on the positives because complaining about the animation is tedious at this point. Complaints are justified, but they've all been said already.
It really does just make me wanna avoid the thread. It's a bit over blown as well. It's not poorly animated. It's just not as good as the first season.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's substandard in general. And the animation being bad is the least of its problems. The sound direction, pacing, storyboarding, direction, etc. is all pretty bad.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the complaints about Saitama becoming less of a focal point. Garou is great, and I'm really fond of the other S class heroes. That's not to say that when Saitama disappears and returns (after other heroes get to shine) I'm unhappy about it, but the other heroes are good and have great fights. You're rarely gonna see these kind of fights with a one-shot fighter. The novelty would wear off quickly. If you're expecting Saitama vs Boros every episode you're likely not gonna get it.

The S class heroes (Or at least their portrayal) would all be really dope... in another show, not one where it's supposed to be parodying shounen tropes, where in the back of your mind you're always thinking "Man, Saitama could've finished this in like two seconds." The more they're straightforwardly shown off with full fledged fights, the more it feels like the series has ironically become what it was making fun of. In the manga, it's easier to roll with it due to how utterly amazing the artwork and paneling is, but the anime is lacking in that regard and so on to say the least, so it's just more glaring for folks.

I do enjoy Garou though. He's cool enough in that it's definitely interesting to follow and figure out his whole deal.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Someone outdid the anime's version of Garou vs Metal Bat just by making an animation using the manga panels lmao

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Yeah, if you look at how many frames are just still pictures moving, slightly animated mouths and plain still frames, especially in comparison to season one, the production value did suffer a damn lot. The whole part before the opening was basically Berserk-meme levels of animations, also a lot of the fights with the bigger enemies.

That said though, it's still a lot of fun to watch, which is a huge credit to the writing. And _some_ scenes still look servicable, even if none look actually fantastic.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying the show well enough, characters are still pretty great, which helps a lot, but last episode would have probably been a great one with Madhouse animation quality, which kinda bummed me out, as I just can't stop thinking what could've been and comparing pretty much anything action related, it's not ruining the show for me (yet anyway), but definitely starting to affect my enjoyment a little.