• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
The S class heroes (Or at least their portrayal) would all be really dope... in another show, not one where it's supposed to be parodying shounen tropes, where in the back of your mind you're always thinking "Man, Saitama could've finished this in like two seconds." The more they're straightforwardly shown off with full fledged fights, the more it feels like the series has ironically become what it was making fun of. In the manga, it's easier to roll with it due to how utterly amazing the artwork and paneling is, but the anime is lacking in that regard and so on to say the least, so it's just more glaring for folks.

I do enjoy Garou though. He's cool enough in that it's definitely interesting to follow and figure out his whole deal.
I feel like the point of a parody is not always to argue that the thing being parodied sucks, but often to create a version of it that has more weight. all these characters could be great in their own show, but they all fall short of their self-image in saitama's world. there are interesting themes that go on there.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Just came in here to say that season 2 is awful so far...not story-wise, mind you. ONE still provides interesting story. But J.C. staff animation has been so, so shitty. Like I already had low expectations going in, considering how much I loved Madhouse and their animation of the first season. But, impressively, J.C. staff managed to animation season 2 even worse than I could have imagined. J.C. staff has never been my favorite animation studio but they have some good stuff some of the time. I expected at least that level of quality. But seriously, this season feels like they picked up an anime at the last minute and rushed it into production. I have NEVER watched an anime and thought "I would rather be reading the manga fight now", just because I LOVE watching manga being animation - the moving scenes instead of static panels, addition of music, voice acting, etc. But the animation is so bad I really think reading the manga would be better.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
I've made my peace with the animation being the way it is.

The fuckin sound direction on the other hand, is garbage. Anytime someone hits something, it sounds like my speakers are getting blown out. Plus, the remixed OST is not as good.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Man the anime took a nosedive the past 2 episodes... I want to see Saitama and not have him show up for like 10 seconds per episodes while we have a rushed focus on all other heroes. =/

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man the anime took a nosedive the past 2 episodes... I want to see Saitama and not have him show up for like 10 seconds per episodes while we have a rushed focus on all other heroes. =/

I feel like the main character of this season is Garou. We should probably get used to Saitama not appearing as much.

That being said, I love the way the anime is going (outside of the animation and direction in some cases). The story is way more interesting than the one off episodes of last season.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
I honestly don't even get the show at this point. Everything seems so discombobulated and messy and just ugh.

Over it. OPM has become a 1 season show for me now.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Damn I was watching this and now it makes perfect sense why season 1 looks different from season 2:

That being said, I still find season 2 entertaining and will continue to watch.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
The S class heroes (Or at least their portrayal) would all be really dope... in another show, not one where it's supposed to be parodying shounen tropes, where in the back of your mind you're always thinking "Man, Saitama could've finished this in like two seconds." The more they're straightforwardly shown off with full fledged fights, the more it feels like the series has ironically become what it was making fun of. In the manga, it's easier to roll with it due to how utterly amazing the artwork and paneling is, but the anime is lacking in that regard and so on to say the least, so it's just more glaring for folks.

I do enjoy Garou though. He's cool enough in that it's definitely interesting to follow and figure out his whole deal.
I understand what you're saying but the reason why I enjoyed season 1 so much was because of the characters surrounding Saitama. I don't really mind how the show follows them to an extent.

I'm not a manga reader though
Why? This where I watch the show.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I understand what you're saying but the reason why I enjoyed season 1 so much was because of the characters surrounding Saitama. I don't really mind how the show follows them to an extent.

I'm not a manga reader though

Don't get me wrong, I love several other characters of the cast, from Genos to King. But they work for me due to how they work within the series' love of parody. Genos who despite being a powerhouse, always jobs, and is a total fanboy for Saitama. King is heraled as the #1 hero, but in actuality he's a total fake, and a giant video game playing weaboo at that. Blizzard and her sister are scary powerful with their telekinesis, but Saitama hilariously has 0 respect for that particular ability. And so on.

So basically everyone that meets Saitama and gets taken down a peg one way or another. For those that are off being straightforwardly badass... meh.

I feel like the point of a parody is not always to argue that the thing being parodied sucks, but often to create a version of it that has more weight. all these characters could be great in their own show, but they all fall short of their self-image in saitama's world. there are interesting themes that go on there.

I don't really feel that the series accomplishes that well outside of Garou so far.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I love several other characters of the cast, from Genos to King. But they work for me due to how they work within the series' love of parody. Genos who despite being a powerhouse, always jobs, and is a total fanboy for Saitama. King is heraled as the #1 hero, but in actuality he's a total fake, and a giant video game playing weaboo at that. Blizzard and her sister are scary powerful with their telekinesis, but Saitama hilariously has 0 respect for that particular ability. And so on.

So basically everyone that meets Saitama and gets taken down a peg one way or another. For those that are off being straightforwardly badass... meh.

I don't really feel that the series accomplishes that well outside of Garou so far.
I would agree. Which is why I'm excited for what will probably be the latter part of this season. Everyone gets dragged out of their comfort zone

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
The Hero Association and the heroes themselves really need to step up. The monsters seem far more organised than them.

On a side-note, I wonder which subs are better, the Hulu ones or the Crunchyroll ones. I watch it on Crunchyroll but I've noticed others watching the show with different subs. I'm not sure if they're watching on Hulu or a free site. Perhaps they're just simply two alternatives and neither is better? I'm not sure.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
They are really dragging out Saitama being at the tournament and using his absence to try and sell the threat to various cities. How many episodes is he supposed to be there?

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
They are really dragging out Saitama being at the tournament and using his absence to try and sell the threat to various cities. How many episodes is he supposed to be there?
Probably for 3 more episodes at most, not all of it is just going to be monsters attacking the city though, there's going to be a bit of world building and set up for later arcs

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
This season has been a huge disappointment compared to S1 so far. They're just dragging it on and on..

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
So... jeez...

This season is really, really depressing. It feels like everything took a fairly substantial hit. Everything from the quality of the VO performances, to the pacing, to the sound design...

Season 2 is still enjoyable, but it is really hard to come from that first season to this one. The animation is also astonishingly bad. I was anticipating that it would be a downgrade, but I thought people were probably being a little hyperbolic. No. They weren't. If anything, people are being too generous. I have seen quite a few people claim that it is only bad in comparison to the first season; that isn't true at all. It is bad when compared to most mid-tier shonen.

It is good enough to keep watching, but it is hard to not feel aggressively disappointed.

Is there a way to watch this legally in Canada

I have the same question over here. I'm afraid we'll have to wait a year to see it on Netflix. :(

Hey, guys. I don't think anyone answered your question. So, if you are still unaware, Tubi TV carries it. The app is free (though it has commercials) and is available for the PS4. Cheers!

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really liking this season so far, but it's so difficult not to imagine what it would be like if it had the same love and care put into it like Season 1 e.g. more time, either wait for the previous people behind Season 1 or give JC Staff more time, etc.

I would wait an insane amount of time for it be of great quality in all aspects.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the main character of this season is Garou. We should probably get used to Saitama not appearing as much.

That being said, I love the way the anime is going (outside of the animation and direction in some cases). The story is way more interesting than the one off episodes of last season.
Based on the webcomic Garou is the main character this season.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Episodes out, better than last week's at least, comedy was on point, some things look good, butters the same old problem, there's a lot of cutting back and forth but that was also there in the manga

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
This show just isn't fun or interesting to me anymore. It's so slow now. I feel like I'm watching Dragon Ball Super but at even lower quality.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shit animation or not, whatever is going on is just not of my interest.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's not just about the animation. The show is meandering and constantly focuses on things I couldn't give a crap about. It keeps cutting between all of these different scenes, and most of them are really boring. The stakes of this monster uprising and the politics behind it are unclear and undercut by other things going on. I couldn't care less about most of the characters participating in this tournament, and I'm just in it to see Saitama beat people after talking themselves up. Garou is kinda interesting, but he's also undercut by all of the other lame stuff going on.

Literally the only thing I'm interested in right now is Saitama making his way through the tournament, and that's a very small part of these events. It's struggling to hold my attention.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Hmm the season started off well, even though the animation has been wack.

Even more so this episode... honeslty looks like a ppt presentation at times (slight hyperbole)

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm still enjoying it but the plot is crawling at a snail's pace this season. S1 had at least three major substories which each took up at least a couple of episodes (House of Evolution, Seafolk, Dark Matter) and by comparison this just feels like it's treading water.

Edit - also, I've been meaning to ask; everyone keeps saying how this is like traditional Shonen anime, and I was wondering if there are some other good series I should check out? I don't have a lot of experience with anime TV shows outside of this, Berserk and Seven Deadly Sins. I'm not really interested in something with hundreds of episodes though, like Dragon Ball. I'd prefer something more succinct.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The manga at this point is pretty boring as well so it's only gonna be worse when you have a mediocre adaption of it.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I dropped the manga around this point (tho the hiatuses and redos didn't help ), so I don't blame people for finding the content itself aimless and boring. It's my understanding that a lot of this portion in the manga was either shorter or not even there for the original ONE version, could someone verify that?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped the manga around this point (tho the hiatuses and redos didn't help ), so I don't blame people for finding the content itself aimless and boring. It's my understanding that a lot of this portion in the manga was either shorter or not even there for the original ONE version, could someone verify that?

The redraw version adds and changes a lot of the events after Boros shows up. The entire martial arts tournament was added in as well as the fight between Metal Bat and Garou. A lot of other stuff gets added or expanded after this part as well. The original webcomic version is really to the point in comparison.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Edit - also, I've been meaning to ask; everyone keeps saying how this is like traditional Shonen anime, and I was wondering if there are some other good series I should check out? I don't have a lot of experience with anime TV shows outside of this, Berserk and Seven Deadly Sins. I'm not really interested in something with hundreds of episodes though, like Dragon Ball. I'd prefer something more succinct.
I'd you are looking for other shounen anime with not that many episode suggest My Hero Academia, it only has 3 season so far so it's easy to catch up on.

The Promised Neverland, not an action story but it's really good and it's only 12 episodes so far

Demon Slayer Kimestu no yaiba, it just started this season and it has really good animation

JoJo's bizarre adventure, okay it's long but each part is a different story with a different main character

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't define One Punch-man as a traditional Shonen, its more of a parody of the genre.
Shows I would recommend are:
- My Hero Academia: which is more of traditional shonen.
- Mob Psycho 100: same creator of One punch-man but much better imo
- Attack on Titan
- Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no yaiba: Currently airing (6eps)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is gradually becoming the reception I pictured for the events of S2, it really is a struggle to get through I'm afraid.

also, I've been meaning to ask; everyone keeps saying how this is like traditional Shonen anime, and I was wondering if there are some other good series I should check out? I don't have a lot of experience with anime TV shows outside of this, Berserk and Seven Deadly Sins. I'm not really interested in something with hundreds of episodes though, like Dragon Ball. I'd prefer something more succinct.

Try out ONE's other work, Mob Psycho 100.

Additionally:

- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Attack on Titan

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Many people weren't a fan of this arc in the manga (me included) but luckily with how are speeding through the source material, the tournament will probably end in 2 more episodes

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The fact that the worst part of the series doesn't have decent animation to prop it up is a huge problem. At least the manga has its phenomenal art to keep your attention.

But on the bright side, maybe an actually good studio will pick the series up for Season 3 and the better material that it'll cover.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Bat vs. Garou was the main thing I was even looking forward to this season and they botched that so I have no more hope. I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't get another season. It would probably take another few years since they're catching up pretty quickly and by then, will there even be enough interest for it? This season hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The redraw version adds and changes a lot of the events after Boros shows up. The entire martial arts tournament was added in as well as the fight between Metal Bat and Garou. A lot of other stuff gets added or expanded after this part as well. The original webcomic version is really to the point in comparison.
Figures, cause Mob Psycho is honestly pretty well paced even in the webcomic version, so the constant cuts and perspective shifts didn't really seem like his work.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Metal Bat vs. Garou was the main thing I was even looking forward to this season and they botched that so I have no more hope. I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't get another season. It would probably take another few years since they're catching up pretty quickly and by then, will there even be enough interest for it? This season hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire.
Assuming the manga remains popular, I don't see why it wouldn't get a third season. Let's just hope that this season's lack of critical reception will encourage the powers that be to pass the series off to Bones or another good studio.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but this current season seems to be doing fine in terms of popularity.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Murata is a great artist and all... But what he did with this arc is pretty boring, he prolonged it way too much.

ONE's pacing is WAYYYYYYY better

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Don't mind the slower pacing from season 1 since this season is not as focused on Saitama. Rather have them develop the cast more, and I feel like if season 2 was more like season 1 it was going to get kinda old with the monster of the week. Found this to be best part of the manga, flesh Garou and the other S heroes out more.

The fact that the worst part of the series doesn't have decent animation to prop it up is a huge problem. At least the manga has its phenomenal art to keep your attention.

But on the bright side, maybe an actually good studio will pick the series up for Season 3 and the better material that it'll cover.
It's really fucking sad that you have to repeat the same exact shit every time a episode is released. It's like your own stupid copypasta. :] I thought you couldn't force yourself to sit through this, yet here you are when episode 6 is released.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh. i was thinking that's what the design was going for when he was introduced based on what he was saying, but what the anime showed didn't make it apparent at all.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I'd you are looking for other shounen anime with not that many episode suggest My Hero Academia, it only has 3 season so far so it's easy to catch up on.

The Promised Neverland, not an action story but it's really good and it's only 12 episodes so far

Demon Slayer Kimestu no yaiba, it just started this season and it has really good animation

JoJo's bizarre adventure, okay it's long but each part is a different story with a different main character

I think Kimetsu no Yaiba is a very good suggestion since it's currently airing (so they would only need to catch up on 6 episodes), and like you say it's got great animation, along with good voice acting and a killer soundtrack.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The manga at this point is pretty boring as well so it's only gonna be worse when you have a mediocre adaption of it.

Yep manga was boring af at that point, chapters like with Metal Bat were even redrawn twice, manga chapter Releases were slow too. It was hell. It's good again now though.