• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I must be the only one enjoying every episode
Nah. I like it too, yeah it's not going to look good as the manga or first season. I got over that after the first episode lol
Though it does seem like I'm in the minority who thinks that the Garou arc was the best part of manga/webcomic. Found it to be much better than any of the arcs in the first season.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

1Xi0xHs.png

Oct 29, 2017
I ultimately liked the addition of the tournament, and everything in it, but I wont deny that Murata has been spinning the wheels of this arc for years now. I'm actually surprised the anime seems headed to include every little thing.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I like it too, yeah it's not going to look good as the manga or first season. I got over that after the first episode lol
Though it does seem like I'm in the minority who thinks that the Garou arc was the best part of manga/webcomic. Found it to be much better than any of the arcs in the first season.
Haven't read either but Garou seems like an interesting character. I'm excited to see him go against Doggo-man

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The fact that the worst part of the series doesn't have decent animation to prop it up is a huge problem. At least the manga has its phenomenal art to keep your attention.

But on the bright side, maybe an actually good studio will pick the series up for Season 3 and the better material that it'll cover.

I do not think there is enough material tp even do a season 3 though.
How the anime handles the fights later on will be interesting because they are detailed and crazy in the manga.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I do not think there is enough material tp even do a season 3 though.
How the anime handles the fights later on will be interesting because they are detailed and crazy in the manga.
There absolutely isn't and there won't be for a while, which is why I'm desperately hoping that the gap between seasons will lead to a quality bump for Season 3 since it can't be churned out right after 2.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd you are looking for other shounen anime with not that many episode suggest My Hero Academia, it only has 3 season so far so it's easy to catch up on.

The Promised Neverland, not an action story but it's really good and it's only 12 episodes so far

Demon Slayer Kimestu no yaiba, it just started this season and it has really good animation

JoJo's bizarre adventure, okay it's long but each part is a different story with a different main character
I wouldn't define One Punch-man as a traditional Shonen, its more of a parody of the genre.
Shows I would recommend are:
- My Hero Academia: which is more of traditional shonen.
- Mob Psycho 100: same creator of One punch-man but much better imo
- Attack on Titan
- Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no yaiba: Currently airing (6eps)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
This is gradually becoming the reception I pictured for the events of S2, it really is a struggle to get through I'm afraid.

Try out ONE's other work, Mob Psycho 100.

Additionally:

- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Attack on Titan

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have actually seen Mob Psycho and Attack on Titan and wasn't particularly keen on either.

I will probably check out My Hero Academia though. That'll probably be more my speed.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It was really weird seeing Genos with a human neck in this episode. His metallic arms still look blurry and bad.

And I'm not sure if it's a budgetary thing, but it was annoying to keep seeing cutaways from various fights, that when returned to them, were already over.

It's a pretty slow season so far, and the lack of decent fight sequences is definitely a bummer, but I like where the story is going at least.

Last edited:

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the scene transitions feel off. It's a mess that I'm enjoying but I can't deny that it's a mess. Also, some of the next episode title images are a bitof a letdown e.g. the image of last episode's title had Tatsumaki but she was only in the episode for a short while.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have actually seen Mob Psycho and Attack on Titan and wasn't particularly keen on either.

I will probably check out My Hero Academia though. That'll probably be more my speed.

If you are enjoying this season of One Punch Man, then I think My Hero Academia will be right up your alley. This season has really moved away from the satire/deconstruction of the shonen genre. It has essentially become a goofy, quirkier, yet ultimately sincere, shonen (which is My Hero Academia to a T).

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
So... jeez...

This season is really, really depressing. It feels like everything took a fairly substantial hit. Everything from the quality of the VO performances, to the pacing, to the sound design...

Season 2 is still enjoyable, but it is really hard to come from that first season to this one. The animation is also astonishingly bad. I was anticipating that it would be a downgrade, but I thought people were probably being a little hyperbolic. No. They weren't. If anything, people are being too generous. I have seen quite a few people claim that it is only bad in comparison to the first season; that isn't true at all. It is bad when compared to most mid-tier shonen.

It is good enough to keep watching, but it is hard to not feel aggressively disappointed.

Hey, guys. I don't think anyone answered your question. So, if you are still unaware, Tubi TV carries it. The app is free (though it has commercials) and is available for the PS4. Cheers!

Amazing! I have Tubi on my Roku, and I just checked their site. They definitely have it. Gonna start watching this ASAP. :D

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've enjoyed the season so far even though the animation hasn't been especially impressive mostly. Some of that is that most of it is on a much smaller and more contained scale. My biggest issue is just that the show feels a lot darker.. like they used a different color palette. I also am sad that so much of the season has not actually focused on Saitama. For a show about him, he's maybe been in.. 20% of the scenes.

I'm in team this arc started really bad in the remake, Murata forgot all about pacing but once the Tournament finishes it gets to overdrive and the manga has not stopped since then hype after hype.

Aldo yeah Watchdog man is cool and all but PIG GOD HYPE!

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in team this arc started really bad in the remake, Murata forgot all about pacing but once the Tournament finishes it gets to overdrive and the manga has not stopped since then hype after hype.

Aldo yeah Watchdog man is cool and all but PIG GOD HYPE!
is Pig God a good boy tho?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just going to point out that I'm pretty sure ONE is behind most of the changes in the redraw manga. He still does the storyboarding for Murata's version and dictates a lot of what goes on even if Murata is the one who ends up drawing it. It also seems to be a weakness of his as a writer as he is not great at these huge over arching plotlines and seems to be better at keeping things simple and to the point. He even made some comments about things he'd change in Mob Psycho 100 if he went back and redid it.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There absolutely isn't and there won't be for a while, which is why I'm desperately hoping that the gap between seasons will lead to a quality bump for Season 3 since it can't be churned out right after 2.
The Gap isn't the problem it's the talent. they have like a few years makes using to look fantastic but yet here we are

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh I'd be interested in reading that. Do you have a link?

It was during the production of season 2 of MP100 and it sounded like he would have done things differently in parts. After seeing how he did things differently with One Punch Man I'm glad he didn't get the chance to do so with MP100.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to see peoples' reaction to the true #1 hero, Watchdog Man doing his thang.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I must be the only one enjoying every episode
I'm enjoying it too. But the pacing is starting to annoy me now, show seems to be dragging big time and the animations still hurt my soul after season 1, which I foolishly rewatched last week, and made it super noticeable again after I kinda got over it.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
It was during the production of season 2 of MP100 and it sounded like he would have done things differently in parts. After seeing how he did things differently with One Punch Man I'm glad he didn't get the chance to do so with MP100.

I recently rewatched the first season of Mob on Blu-ray and in the special features the director mentions that ONE suggested some changes which they didn't include, since the original is what people grew to love and they didn't want to mess with it too much (paraphrasing).

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I'm definitely enjoying it, but it's not without its problems.
I'm anticipating what the response to Suiryu's meanspirited takedown of Snakebite Snek's purpose will be. Saitama had people denigrating him too but he could back it up with words or strength. Maybe it's nothing but I'm anticipating it anyway. Something to look forward to. Besides the one punch KOs which have still not gotten old.

The monster scheming and hero association stuff seems to be playing it pretty straight in comparison. Like reading a POV from a character I don't care for in ASoIaF.

But yeah I concur, just because people notice a drop in quality doesn't mean it doesn't have enjoyable spots.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Just watched the first two episodes. Definite drop in animation quality which affects the entire feel of the show, but the art, comedy, music, and story are all still strong, so I'm on board.

Plus, we'll always have season one. :) Any word on season three and maybe going back to Madhouse? Would be nice to keep getting these stories with season one's animation quality.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Stopping by to say this season has been awful so far.

And I don't mean the animation, which is downright bad on its own (every time they fucking show Genos I weep), everything is a noticeable step down. In particular, I hate how little of Saitama we see, and how badly put together these episodes seem to be in terms of pacing. It's dragging ridiculously, and it's like they saw what worked in Season 1 and just chose not to do that. There's way too much time spent on people who I don't care about.

A shame.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
On episode four now. The intro is badass, the music is still good, and the writing is basically straight from the manga, so can't complain outside of the drop in animation quality.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I've enjoyed the season so far even though the animation hasn't been especially impressive mostly. Some of that is that most of it is on a much smaller and more contained scale. My biggest issue is just that the show feels a lot darker.. like they used a different color palette. I also am sad that so much of the season has not actually focused on Saitama. For a show about him, he's maybe been in.. 20% of the scenes.

Same deal with the manga. It's just how it's written, for better or worse.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
What a bummer! I guess they can only work with what their given, but that is a truly strange decision by ONE then.
The lack of Saitama is kind of the point. ONE has a story to tell involving Garou and some of the S Class heroes, and the joke is that everything would immediately be resolved is Saitama were around all of the time. That way, when Saitama does do something, it's a way bigger deal than before.

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Episodes out

It was decent, I don't mind them rushing through the source material of this Arc cause the only good part about this arc in the manga was the good art and lord knows we're not getting that here

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
lbimlnmq9ji21.gif

I remember seeing this fan animation a few years ago and was excited to see how the anime did this fight. Did it even look better than this fan animation? lol

OP
OP
alexi52

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how much of this animation will be fixed on the Blu-ray release

lbimlnmq9ji21.gif

I remember seeing this fan animation a few years ago and was excited to see how the anime did this fight. Did it even look better than this fan animation? lol
Pretty similar to that only with 200% more blur effects

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
So much blur during the fast attacks, especially during the Suiryu fight.
It's to cover up the horrible animation. Man I love OPM's comedy, but make no mistake the #1 reason I loved the first season was because of the awesome animation. It actually did justice to the impeccable art Murata provided! This season so far is just a let down in every way besides the comedy.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
It's to cover up the horrible animation. Man I love OPM's comedy, but make no mistake the #1 reason I loved the first season was because of the awesome animation. It actually did justice to the impeccable art Murata provided! This season so far is just a let down in every way besides the comedy.
Even the comedy is pretty sparse since it only really comes alive when Saitama is involved and he's basically a side character. The show is banking a lot on how much I care about characters who are not Saitama while also training me not to care about characters who aren't Saitama. The "explain your backstory in 5 words or less" gag was too good.