• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sitting here listening to the Undertale soundtrack, like any functioning member of society does on a Saturday morning. As we draw ever closer to the end of this wonderful generation, what do you consider to be the best song to appear in this gen? Post your top 3 if you wish. Please try and add some context to your choice - what did you like about the song? Did it play during a particularly emotional part of the game?

For me (in no particular order):

As hinted at above, I'm obsessed with the Undertale OST. I could post a million tracks from it onto this list, but "Another Medium" stands above them all in my opinion. Just an absolute banger that captures the setting of the area so well. The transitions are filthy.

I feel that people sometimes exaggerate moments in video games that just make them put the controller down and say "wow," but this was one of those times. The moment this haunting song came on while exploring around the frigid islands of Skellige, my jaw dropped. I had already been in love with what The Witcher 3 had provided, but this just moved it into another tier.

Might be some recency bias here, but I still can't believe how much I loved this game (and the soundtrack played a huge part). Anytime I hear this particular piece - especially the climax that kicks in around 2:05, I want to pick it up and do another playthrough. Best battle music of this generation in my opinion.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018

A haunting, beautiful, and a very romantic song. Love it.

A fantastic ending to the journey. It also changes depending on your choices in the story.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

White Orchard theme from Wild Hunt is up there too. Really love Metamorphosis from the last level of Tetris Effect also.

Jan 4, 2018
Ace Combat 7 - Daredevil.
Pure epicness and perfect synchronization between music and gameplay.

Ace Combat 7 - Archange.
Because it conveys the tension of the dogfight so well.

Ace Combat 7 - Anchorhead Raid.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Another Undertale track:

For me, this track does exactly what the title says. Like almost all Undertale tracks, loved how Toby Fox used the leitmotiffs here, including the one of this boss. It is also awesome.

Chasing Daybreak from Fire Emblem Three Houses is the perfect way to kickstart the timeskip, and that the peaceful times in school are over. Now the war has started and the stakes are higher than before.

Luminescence from Stellaris is the perfect track to continue building your empire in the galaxy.

OP
OP
HououinKyouma

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love the Nier: Automata posts. Probably my second favorite overall soundtrack of this gen. It's incredible the amount of quality songs on that OST.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely either Hopes and Dreams or A Beautiful Song.
Or You'll Never See It Cooomiiin

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata is straight up the best OST of this gen, my top songs could all be comprised of songs all from there if I wanted really

But the #1 song without a doubt is Weight of the World, particularly the Ending E version. The buildup of the song right to the moment where the choir breaks out singing is perfection. Given the context of what Ending E is about, it's the game's defining example of how music can elevate a moment you won't soon forget.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Nier: Automata had some amazing tracks.

Then there's Prey:

And then there's the perfect interplay of music and gameplay setpiece in Control
(thanks for the walkman, Ahti)

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
it'd be the Breath of the Wild trailer theme if they put it in the dang game

The Crystarium Theme #2 (or Tomorrow and Tomorrow I believe the full version with lyrics is called) from FFXIV Shadowbringers. Slight spoilers if you haven't gotten to the game yet -

A really nice song that really threw me off the first time it bust out the lyrics.

Rivers in the Desert - Persona 5

It's just a jam, plain and simple. Helped reinvigorate my enthusiasm after the game's worst dungeon, too.

Lonely Journey - Trails of Cold Steel

I'm a sucker for instrumentalised versions of vocal themes AND chill moments on trains. This part of the game delivers on both and it was probably the most memorable part for me, against all odds.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
NieR: Automata has the absolute GOAT soundtrack, but Amusement Park has to take it for me:

Honorable mention goes to the other GOAT soundtrack, the original NieR, especially the tracks Song of the Ancients (Fate), The Wretched Automatons, and Grandma :

Last edited:

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Octopath Traveler has my favorite OST of the gen. I would say those two tracks are among the best the game has to offer

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

A pretty simple track, but for me, it perfectly embodies the spirit of my favorite game (and OST) from this generation.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Nier Automata is probably my favorite OST this gen but the most memorable track for me is "The First Hunter" from Bloodborne.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
NieR: Automata has the absolute GOAT soundtrack, but Amusement Park has to take it for me:

Honorable mention goes to the other GOAT soundtrack, the original NieR, especially the tracks Song of the Ancients (Fate), The Wretched Automatons, and Grandma :

Don't forget Kaine's Salvation!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The entire soundtrack of Celeste, B-sides included. Without the music, Celeste loses so much of its charm.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

The swordbearer music from Destiny 1.

I remember back when the Crota's End raid came out and it was haaard, like people would struggle for hours at the end boss.

When you were the sword bearer to head down by yourself against the giant and the epic music started, calling out to the rest of the team to co-ordinate the takedown, distract the knights - then heading up to the throne on your own with the hopes of 5 other people resting on you. Man it was cool.

Best was when you go on to LFG and a team that's been stuck there for hours is looking for an experienced swordbearer, you drop in and bam they're done in 15 minutes.

If ever there was a moment that justified Destiny's "Become Legend" tagline it was this. It's kinda sad that there's never been another moment like this in PvE, and worse that level/damage balancing a few months later never allowed this raid to shine in the same way again.

And the sword music's pretty cool too I guess lol, shame the rest of the boss music is filler.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Gotta say the new BB theme of Death Stranding is probably my most favorit track this whole generation.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The BoTW trailer music takes the cake for me by far, but the in-game song I would choose is probably Dragon Age Inquisition's The Dawn Will Come instrumental.

I connect many things with that theme:
  • Iconicness
  • The start of a new generation
  • Epicness
  • That "Disney Cartoon" feeling
  • A sense of christmas.
Hard to explain some of those, I just had a very special feeling in DA:I - though it falters overall as a game (it's still not the king of trash that so many want it to be).

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Ludwig them from bloodborne

Oh man, it's probably this for me. Don't think I've ever had chills this bad in any game.

I wasn't expecting this to be one of my answers going into the thread, but the cabaret minigame in Yakuza 0 is my favorite minigame of all time, and I heard this song so much.

Also gonna throw the last segments of Area X from Rez Infinite on here because in VR it was the most I've ever been emotionally affected by a video game

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Darkness (Steppe Language Version) from Pathologic 2.

Honorable mention to Ludwig's theme and pretty much every song in Hotline Miami 2 and Furi.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
It's gotta be another medium from Undertale. Or some other track from undertale. That's the most memorable ost in years. Witcher 3 in second place, maybe the Skellige theme.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
From a compositional standpoint I don't think anything touches Cuphead. Clip Joint Calamity isn't necessarily my favourite song of the generation, but in my opinion it's far and away musically the best/most impressive for it's genre and purpose.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll go with a track from my favourite OST of the gen so far. In fact, it's the only OST I've ever bought.

I love the japanese name for the track, it's basically "those who block you at the end of your journey". It's the blocks your path meme perfectly summarized in a single song.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
it'd be the Breath of the Wild trailer theme if they put it in the dang game

The Crystarium Theme #2 (or Tomorrow and Tomorrow I believe the full version with lyrics is called) from FFXIV Shadowbringers. Slight spoilers if you haven't gotten to the game yet -

A really nice song that really threw me off the first time it bust out the lyrics.

Rivers in the Desert - Persona 5

It's just a jam, plain and simple. Helped reinvigorate my enthusiasm after the game's worst dungeon, too.

Lonely Journey - Trails of Cold Steel

I'm a sucker for instrumentalised versions of vocal themes AND chill moments on trains. This part of the game delivers on both and it was probably the most memorable part for me, against all odds.

The Crystarium Theme #2 at 3:04 is just glorious.. the first time you are in the city and suddendly the lyrics start you just stop walking and enjoy

This Nier Automata + FF XIV song is top tier for me this gen.. Weight of The world + Final Fantasy Prelude is so good